News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Collection Thread

Started by SidB, March 17, 2023, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

2019 was a thin year for Favorite and me. One mini, the Fukuivenator and Araki's Soft model Mosasaurus.

The feathered Mini

The Mosasaurus. If you peruse avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon 's review on the Blog, you'll get a fascinating glimpse into the design philosophy of Araki in his creation of this figure, and, doubtlessly of others as well. Fully aware of the up to date research available to him, he deliberately has chosen to trod a middle path between accuracy and a certain stylization that makes this figure highly tactile and attractive, though not quite as precise, accuracy-wise as it could have been.

Fembrogon

I'm embarrassed to say I actually forgot about the Mosasaurus!  :)) I do still have one in my possession, though. It's a respectable figure for what it is, although I'd rather have seen it featured in the Prehistoric Life series.

SidB

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 09, 2023, 03:43:51 AMI'm embarrassed to say I actually forgot about the Mosasaurus!  :)) I do still have one in my possession, though. It's a respectable figure for what it is, although I'd rather have seen it featured in the Prehistoric Life series.
It had been quite a while since I'd read your review, but it had a cluster of useful insights and observations, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon .

SidB

If 2019 was minimal, then 2020 proved to be a very good year, number wise, for Favorite soft model releases. They follow:

The Tarbosaurus. Note how very lean it is compared to PNSO's very robust specimen. About 1/50 scale, similar to the 2004 and 2013 T-rexes.

Diplodocus, approximately 1/65, somewhat larger than the 2004/ 2013 sauropods at a nominal 1/80. Probably my fav in this group.

Carnotaurus. Araki has sculpted this lean to the point of emaciation - an extreme exemplar of his stylization. If the other possess a certain chique , this one is almost shocking, IMO. 1/40

Pachycephalosaurus. Note the tan-colored bony skull top. That unusual color combo with the blue body re-appears with the 2022 Therizinosaurus. 1/23

Iguanodon. I like this figure, though a bit more flesh wouldn't hurt. 1/48

Finally their Quetzalcoatlus, overflying my old Thorens TD 166 Mk 2. 1/50

SidB

The final pieces of my collection of Favorites:

2021-2022  Giganotosaurus

2022 Therizinosaurus

Dilophosaurus

SidB

Well, that concludes my survey of my long-running collection of Favorite dinosaur ( and a few other) collectibles. It had been quite a while since I'd had them out of their storage containers, set up on four shelves, then examined one-by one. Interesting experience that gave me a new understanding of and appreciation for their attributes, both positive and negative. I'd like to thank the few who took the time and effort to look, comment, one way or another, on them.Apart from my own sense of satisfaction during the entire exercise, I'm glad that it gave you a some pleasure and caught your interest. One thing stands out, IMO, is that the Favorite Company is probably wise to confine their marketing efforts to Japan itself, since, historically, there has never been a huge groundswell of interest in their offerings outside of Japan, likely in substantial part because of their conservative approach to both marketing and the overall choices of genera. This is evident now more than ever, what with the dramatic rise of PNSO and now HLG. Favorite really is a niche dino collectable and it appears that it will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Fembrogon

It's always nice to revisit pieces of one's collection, to evaluate and appreciate them anew. Favorite's last few years have been hit-or-miss in quality, but it's neat to see another brand from a wholly different side of the globe keeping active in their own niche of the market.

ceratopsian

An interesting reminder of several pieces I bought early on in my collecting life and a reminder of how priorities change, at least in part in response to unforeseen arrivals in the marketplace. I haven't bought any Favorites in recent years. Thank you!

SidB

Dishing it out again. I've moved my entire collection of Wild Safari and Carnegies from its perch on its shelves high up on my hallway's walls, integrating some into my existing dioramas, the rest going into storage. Among those kept on display, these figures have joined my dish displays. Here are three:

SidB

At length, I come at last to my collection of Battat dinosaurs, which historically , until the arrival of the PNSO, HLG and upgraded Safaris (following the demise of the Carnegie collection), formed the heart of my collection. Gradually gathered from various sources, using my limited financial resources, these had the pride of place among my collectibles. Indeed the Battats represented the pinnacle of accurate design and execution up until fairly recently, though, not being renewed and updated after 2014-5, these now have a somewhat  dated look, both in terms of accuracy and technical execution. Still, typically, these were years ahead of their time when sculped and released by Lorusso and Wenzel back in 1994, 1996 and 1998. The dates of release are according to the long defunct website "The Realm of Rubber Dinosaurs", whose text, though not images, is still available.

The  1994's

The famous Battat T-rex version one. Probably the best mass-produced rex until the 2020's. Greg Wenzel's masterpiece, IMO, though the soft plastic used in the legs always has made this one a challenge to stay erect. I searched for years before finally grabbing one on an eBay auction. The most expensive individual purchase in my entire collection, but no regrets.

The bright colors owe their inspiration to the art work of the late Brian Franczak. The context of the bright colors was the impact of the vivid coloration of the Carnegies, following decades of monocolors (Marx, Invicta).

The outstanding Triceratops horridus, still a gem. Being a 1994 product, it can't be faulted for the outdated two outer manus toes being hooved and weight-bearing.

Stegosaurus armatus. Probably the most controversial Battat, with its eight thagomizer spikes (once thought to be possible) and now with its specific designation a nomen dubium. I have two, on one of which I removed one set of tail spikes to make it more plausible.

The Gallimimus bulattus. An ornithimimid is always welcome, rare in 1994, still uncommon now. A beauty, though one can't expect feathers from that epoch.

The Dilophosaurus wetherilli, an experiment in producing a figure that can stand on one foot. Failed, no surprise. This piece, like the rex, is one of three tries to achieve a theropod that can stand without falling over.

Not quite done for 1994 - we're missing the uber-iconic Diplodocus longus, the star of the whole collection. Why is it missing? Back in the day it was going for circa 300USD, now 600-700. Totally beyond the Pale for yours truly. I still entertain the almost forlorn hope that I'll run across one at a thrift shop some bright day.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Very nice! Fabulous storytelling.  :)

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on October 15, 2023, 07:04:32 AMVery nice! Fabulous storytelling.  :)
Thanks, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , glad that you're enjoying it. More to come, of course.

ceratopsian

Still love my Battat Triceratops. Thank you for reminding me of this line amid all the fresh excitements of Haolonggood and PNSO!

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 15, 2023, 05:45:53 PMStill love my Battat Triceratops. Thank you for reminding me of this line amid all the fresh excitements of Haolonggood and PNSO!
Yes, at the risk of being repetitive  it's good to occasionally look back with a definite sense of gratitude and appreciation. On that note, perhaps it can be said the the past deserves a vote, though not a veto.

SidB

The Battat experience continued ... following the initial round of releases in 1994, there was a second round two years later in 1996.

By far the most common one available in the Value Village thrift shops here in Ontario was the Edmontonia rugosidens. Yes, the lead picture doesn't lie. After an initial eBay purchase, I've found no less than seven others, the latest just a year ago! Six are here, one traded to a DTF member and the other re-painted (see later). I do suspect that a truckload of these must have been hijacked and dumped onto the market at some point. This was the best representative of the genus available  until the very recent release of HLG's new one. The Battat dinosaurs were made in a 1/40 scale, ostensibly, but the Edmontonia shows that this was not always rigorously followed, being rather larger.

The nifty Styracosaurus albertensis. Two have all five forelimb digit toes painted (this was 1996, after all), but one only three (correct). Again, probably the best mass-produced rep of the type until the PNSO and Safari releases.

Amargasaurus cazaui, with the extended neck spines joined in a fleshy sail rather than discrete.

The splendid Ouranosaurus nigeriensis, simply the best one until the recent HLG one (with thumb claw, of course). Battat really was ahead of the curve with so many of its releases. No wonder the line was considered the best available until quite recently, and little surprise with the dismay felt after it was discontinued after a few years. I have two color variants, with this one somewhat darker.

Ceratosaurus nasicornis. Another of their theropods that had a devil of a time standing up. This was corrected in 1998 when the factory adopted a three-point tail down stance.

Utahraptor ostrommaysi, designed to be perched on the back of a hapless victim. Other than the absence of feathers, which was to be expected in 1996, this is a fine sculpt, true to scale with the other figures.

Battat's re-release of the 1994 Dilophosaurus wetherilli, this time perched on a little pad for stability. Battat sure struggled with the "curse  of the theropods". Note that the hands are still pronated.

The magnificent Tyrannosaurus rex re-issued, this time with the (in)famous snowshoes, which didn't achieve their goal of stability either.

I added a small transparent pad under one "snowshoe" and that worked, finally.

SidB

1998, the last year in which Battat initially released a new set of dinosaurs was nevertheless a busy one, with both 1//40 scale and the Battat minis hitting the market. First, the larger new introductions:

Euplocephalus tutus

Parasaurolophus walkeri, with its somewhat unconventional flap of tissue at the rear of the skull

Acrocanthosaurus atokensis; unlike its 2014 re-issue, this one remains bipedal, sometimes (though not always), with the help of the tip of its tail. For years this relatively rare Battat, was one of the very best Acrocanthosaurus figures available, usually sporting a 70 USD price tag.

Carnotaurus sastrei

Maiasaura peeblesorum, also hard to locate, though I got this one in a thrift shop.

And now three full-sized re-issues, all pursuing the quest to overcome the "curse of the theropods":

The third version of the Tyrannosaurus rex, a somewhat more gracile version 3 - it succeeds where versions 1 and 2 failed, in being able to stand without any help

Dilophosaurus wetherilli, the 3rd version, which also is finally self-supporting (being given a tripod stance) and with non-pronated hands as well.

Ceratosaurus nasicornis, the second version with down-turned tail for support. A factory modification, even Dan didn't known about this version until many years later.

SidB

A late addition on my part to the 1998 Battat new introductions, the neat little Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis, a real gem.

The 1998 collection shelf with extras and the minis (to follow) -

SidB

1998 also included this group of pantographed minis, miniature duplicates of the previous releases of 1994 and 1996, with the exception of Battat's famous Diplodocus, which, as I mentioned earlier, never found its way into my collection due to its extremely high resale price (currently over 700 USD). I have all of the minis with one exception and for the same reason - their mini T-rex, also hyper-expensive: try 400-500 USD.

As a tribute to the Battat collection T-rex, I painted up this 10th anniversary edition rex from the Carnegie collection using the Brian Franczak scheme as on the versions 1-3 seen previously. I believe that the prominent inactive member avatar_tyrantqueen @tyrantqueen had first used this pattern . By the way, does anyone know why she left the forum and how she is doing?

SidB

Following the classic era of Battat dinosaur collectables, there was a brief revival in 2014-15 when Dan Lorusso made a group of four new sculpts under the Battat Terra rubric.

These need little introduction: the Pachyrhinosaurus, Dacentrurus (I have two, on one of which I removed the shoulder spikes), Cryolophosaurus and Nanshiungosaurus. Plans for further releases were cut short by his passing and it seems doubtful that any more will be forthcoming, irrespective of Battat's history of secrecy. These four were a partial re-issuing of the 1994-98 originals with new paint work.

This almost brings the tale of the Battat's to its conclusion, with the exception of one last chapter - The Might have Beens.

SidB

Finally, at last, what I label as the "Might Have Beens", prospective 2015 Battat re-issues of the venerable 90's collection that Dan Lorusso actually displayed as recommended repaints of the originals sculpted by Wenzel and himself, but never executed by Battat. Very sad, as these would have been the best of the line of repaints, IMO. The following repaints of duplicates in my collection were done by my friend Chris, who usually focusses on Warhammer figures and 20th century military, but was willing to divert his time and energy to making these virtually exact copies of Lorusso's intended releases.

The Ouranosaurus

The Pachycephalosaurus

The Triceratops

The Styracosaurus

The Dilophosaurus

The Edmontonia

The Maiasaura

Well, that's it for my Battat's, hope that you've enjoyed the look backwards. It good to remember the best from those days, though we have to recognize the they've been superceded by the science, art and craftsmanship of today, which we privileged to both enjoy and to continue to anticipate.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: