News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 06, 2023, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: SRF link=msg=354491 :Pquote author=Halichoeres link=msg=354513 date=1694001209]
Quote from: SRF on September 06, 2023, 08:12:16 AMWould be a smart move, in the meantime people will keep buying their lipless theropods after all because on their own most of them are the brownest figure available for the genus they represent.

You had a very minor typo, I've fixed it.  ;D
date=1693984336]
Would be a smart move, in the meantime people will keep buying their lipless theropods after all because on their own most of them are the brownest figure available for the genus they represent.

You had a very minor typo, I've fixed it.  ;D

I'm sorry English isn't my main language.  :P
But today, I'm just being father

Ambre

edu

There isn't a good picture yet of the Yangchuanosaurus with its mouth closed. Just a small one, and it is not fully closed. Just curious to see how it turns out... sealed lips or not?

Takama

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 06, 2023, 06:59:49 AMProbably PNSO will now release only herbivores for several months so that we have plenty of time to think about the next theropod being with or without lips and to keep the excitement level high.

"More sauropods please PNSO!!!!"

Sim

Paleofiguras on Facebook has posted photos of the new Yangchuanosaurus, including some with its mouth closed.  Also included were photos of it with the original PNSO Yangchuanosaurus which shows the new one is quite a bit smaller than the original one.  With this new Yangchaunosaurus and the Megalosaurus, which is also in the photos Paleofiguras posted, PNSO is finally making smaller figures again.  I hope they make more, aside from an adult Spinosaurus I would prefer just smaller figures from PNSO now.

Lynx

On the note of smaller figures, seeing the minis series be brought back, mainly with juveniles of various already done species, would be nice to see! Mainly a Pinacosaurus, revised Spinosaurus, revised Tyrannosaurus, Sauropelta, etc.
An oversized house cat.

dragon53

oscars_dinos

I honestly think this might end up being my fav pnso I don't have a single issue with it.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 12, 2023, 08:00:24 PMI honestly think this might end up being my fav pnso I don't have a single issue with it.
Usually we agree very closely. But I am going to disagree here. But I will admit the thumbnail photograph in Andys video makes it look far more "cooler" than it is in the video.
Also its bit small, probably due to being a juvenile

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 12, 2023, 08:16:42 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 12, 2023, 08:00:24 PMI honestly think this might end up being my fav pnso I don't have a single issue with it.
Usually we agree very closely. But I am going to disagree here. But I will admit the thumbnail photograph in Andys video makes it look far more "cooler" than it is in the video.
Also its bit small, probably due to being a juvenile

Don't think I ever put in my opinion on the juvenile convo but I actually think its kind of cool, allows them to revisit this species if they ever wanted too (doubt that would ever happen but still) was there any other reason you didn't like it that I might have missed?

Over9K

Ahh...now we see the problem with lips and dinosaur models; The mouths rarely close fully.

IMO, if a lipped figure with an articulated jaw cannot close its mouth fully, the articulation is a failure and that is a big ding off a figure for me.

I think we're going to see a trend in figures not having an articulated jaw, and instead having alternate open/closed heads, a'la W-Dragon and REBOR (Smilodon/Dire Wolf).

Or, we're going to have a lot of gap-mouthed dinosaurs.

Sim

Quote from: Over9K on September 12, 2023, 10:07:32 PMI think we're going to see a trend in figures not having an articulated jaw, and instead having alternate open/closed heads, a'la W-Dragon and REBOR (Smilodon/Dire Wolf).
I hope not.

Over9K

Quote from: Sim on September 12, 2023, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: Over9K on September 12, 2023, 10:07:32 PMI think we're going to see a trend in figures not having an articulated jaw, and instead having alternate open/closed heads, a'la W-Dragon and REBOR (Smilodon/Dire Wolf).
I hope not.

Why?

What would be the disadvantage?

Sim

Disadvantages: More painted plastic = higher price.  An extra head taking up space when not in use.  The gap between the head and the body being more noticeable than when an articulated jaw is present.

And personally, I wouldn't want a figure whose head isn't attached to the rest of it.  I hate it.

Flaffy

Hence why I vastly prefer static figures to articulated ones ;)

Fewer parts, smaller chance of defect, cheaper.

Faelrin

avatar_Over9K @Over9K It depends on the tooling really. A good number of my Mattel raptors, etc don't have problems with having lips and jaw articulation, and being able to open and close properly, and repeatedly. My 1/35 BotM T. rex has flawless articulation, and although suffering from some warping on the one side of the lower jaw/lip, my Yutyrannus otherwise has pretty smooth articulation where it closes really well, and would be flush if not for that one side. See my blog reviews on both of those figures for images. Wasn't one of the main reasons PNSO avoided lips was because they couldn't the jaw articulation ideal? Maybe they just need more experience in this. I mean if they could pull off the complex engineering for their Dunkleosteus jaw, then I think they can get better in this aspect.

That said, I have yet to watch Andy's review on this figure so I don't know how severe the issue is (like in comparison to the first edition of Rebor's Kiss, which couldn't close right, but if I recall right they fixed it in the second batch), but I'll make an edit after I check it out.

Edit: So it is a different issue from Rebor's Kiss I think. Seems like the tooling wasn't engineered right. If I recall correctly from the BotM Tyrannosaur Series kickstarter updates, some of the tyrannosaurs had a similar problem earlier on, but David refused to settle for less and wanted those refined to get them just right.

Again maybe PNSO just needs more experience in this regard, or maybe they don't want to expend resources on getting it just right. Or this could just be a sample with faulty QC. Going to need to see more reviews to see how widespread this problem is with this one.

Edit 2: Yep, here it was a similar issue earlier on with the BotM T. rex figures. Here's the update showing that the tooling needed adjustment, even though the original prototype didn't have this issue. It seems this kind of issue can arise from production process of converting a prototype into a mass produced plastic figure:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-tyrannosaur-series-action-figures/posts/3541748
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Over9K

Quote from: Sim on September 12, 2023, 10:15:27 PMDisadvantages: More painted plastic = higher price.  An extra head taking up space when not in use.  The gap between the head and the body being more noticeable than when an articulated jaw is present.

And personally, I wouldn't want a figure whose head isn't attached to the rest of it.  I hate it.

W-Dragon brought a beautifully executed "REBOR/Nanmu 1/35 scale" T.rex to market, with a pegged base, for $70US. That's $40 less than Nanmu's articulated jaw Mountain King T.rex with base. Extra head doesn't have to mean more money. Articulated jaws take development time, assembly time during production, etc. IMO, cost vs result is a wash here.

Yes, you have to find something to do with the extra head. There are aesthetically pleasing options. I'm having a nice bit of painted sheet steel framed, which I'll hang on the wall for my magnet heads. Right now, my extra heads are stuck to shelf supports. Otherwise, they'd be in the same storage box with the BOTM rex legs.

Hiding a seam, joint or gap is always an issue, but I will say that both my W-Dragon T.rex figures have invisible joints for both heads. With the exception of my REBOR Kiss/Tusk and my Nanmu Indominus, all my tail joints are very well hidden. REBOR has only missed the mark on hiding a gap once, or twice over their history.

On the flip side of that, how many of the articulated jaws in our collections are fundamentally flawed? Some won't open, some won't close, some won't stay open, or closed, plus there are often gaps in the oral tissue through which you can see daylight. Haolonggood's Carchardontosaurus is one of the most beautifully executed figures, except for that complete failure of an articulated jaw. It never looks right, open or closed and the lower jaw looks like it's from different figure.

I don't think joint gaps for alternate heads will be any worse than gaps and seams for articulated jaws, I don't think cost will be affected very much, if at all, given alternate heads require less development, and I would wager are a wash in terms of production cost given that these figures are already cast in multiple pieces and then assembled/painted and an articulated jaw and an alternate head don't constitute a big difference in the number of parts cast.

Eatmycar

I'm not going to take one review as proof of this being a failure. I think it looks great, bland paint aside of course! Maybe it'll take a few dinos to learn how to truly execute seamless lips, but a learning curve is better than just giving up on accuracy.

If PNSO wants to sincerely consider cost-cutting, drop the pamphlets and nonsense and look at whatever magic Haolonggood is concocting because somehow they can deliver very impressive figures for a fraction of what PNSO is doing.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_oscars_dinos @oscars_dinos i guess putting the species name on the box might indicate they will make another species at some point? I am not sure if any other companies done that yet.

Bread

I am not fussed about this jaw articulation having a gap when attempting to fully close it.

PNSO's first version of the Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus had this issue. I don't recall seeing many complain.

Regardless, if anyone is too fussed and wants a permanently closed mouth lips sealed on any future PNSO figure with lips, use super glue on the figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: