News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasmosaurus

I understand your point of view. I should have said birds of prey.
Carnivores in general among vertebrates have more sober colors than others.
And I think PNSO does it well. Their carnivores have sober colors and at the same time are different enough to be distinguished at first glance.
But that's just my point of view.
What's more, Safari with their Albertosaurus and BOTM in general have succeeded in making magnificent predatory dinosaur figures in brilliant colors.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

SidB

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 18, 2023, 10:38:59 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 13, 2023, 03:43:50 AM
Quote from: Bread on September 13, 2023, 02:09:53 AMI am not fussed about this jaw articulation having a gap when attempting to fully close it.

PNSO's first version of the Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus had this issue. I don't recall seeing many complain.

Regardless, if anyone is too fussed and wants a permanently closed mouth lips sealed, use super glue.
I'm pretty sure that avatar_Bread @Bread is saying to super glue the figure's mouth, not any DTF member's lips in particular. But correct me if I'm wrong.
Instructions unclear; glued my lips sealed, am about to dehydrate and shrivel up
I feel your pain, avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 , but look on the positive side: 1) you now have something in common with Neo (Matrix 1); 2) your grocery bill will be sharply reduced, so you'll have that much more hard cash for dinosaurs. No doubt you feel a lot better already. I would, I'm sure. (or, you COULD send away for a de-bonder, I suppose)

Tracewyrm!

It's definitely refreshing to see PNSO finally enter its lipped dinosaur era, though I do hope that they at least keep the obligatory new T. rex for later on.

I don't mind the color scheme, though I understand where people are coming from. At the end of the day, I don't think that arguing about personal taste and vaguely gesturing at modern world analogs will really get us anywhere. It would be nice to see PNSO tackle some more variety but personally, a lot of PNSO's sculpts make up for the mostly uninteresting color schemes.

Speaking of variety, as much as I like this figure, I can't help but wonder if PNSO will go back to doing.. well- anything but theropods any time soon. Hadrosaurs, Ceratopsians, something. An Edmontosaurus would be a very much welcome addition.

That being said, if PNSO really wants to keep this train going, this would be a great time for a true 1:35 Essien or perhaps something like a Gigantoraptor.
* (It's locked.)

SRF

PNSO sure knows how to fuel the need to release a new T. Rex once in a while. After the release of Wilson, they implemented the finer skin detail on theropods just months later. Now with Cameron, they implement lips on theropods as the new standard within a few months as well. While I don't see PNSO redo all of their theropods with lips, I do think a new T. Rex will again be seen within a year or two. Depending on how well Cameron sells.

Personal preferences aside, I do think Donald is objectively one of PNSOs best releases of this year. And while I also want PNSO to release something different than theropods, I actually don't believe that it will happen this year anymore.  Saves me some disappointment with every new release.
But today, I'm just being father

Flaffy

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on September 25, 2023, 03:21:44 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on September 25, 2023, 12:43:01 PMFar superior to CollectA and Rebor's take. Can be displayed either as its own genus or as an Allosaurus species. I'm thinking if I should bother getting rid of my older PNSO A. jimmadseni or not now.

Why get rid? They might work well together to show off the genuse/ species

Simple, liplessness. And if David were to ever consider doing a 1:35 A. jimmadseni then I'd really have no reason to keep PNSO's version.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: SRF on September 25, 2023, 07:31:06 PMPNSO sure knows how to fuel the need to release a new T. Rex once in a while. After the release of Wilson, they implemented the finer skin detail on theropods just months later. Now with Cameron, they implement lips on theropods as the new standard within a few months as well.

Which makes me wonder. If (or rather, when) we see an updated Wilson/Cameron/Andrea, what new upgrade would they roll out in their figures to keep up rex demand?
* (It's locked.)

Stegotyranno420

When you guys say you wnat to get rid of a figure, does that mean store, sell, or donate?

Sim

In my case, it's usually donate.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on September 25, 2023, 06:48:24 PMIt's definitely refreshing to see That being said, if PNSO really wants to keep this train going, this would be a great time for a true 1:35 Essien or perhaps something like a Gigantoraptor.

I definitely agree, I for one would love to see a remake of their qianzhousaurus or carnotaurus, both great genuses that could highly benefit from a finer sculpt and lips.

Sim

The Safari Qianzhousaurus has lips and finer detail.  It's an excellent figure but is being retired this year so if you're interested in it I would recommend getting it now before it becomes harder to find.

I too would like an adult 1:35 Spinosaurus from PNSO!  As for lipped theropods, I would like dromaeosaurids from PNSO!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Sim on September 25, 2023, 08:33:13 PMThe Safari Qianzhousaurus has lips and finer detail.  It's an excellent figure but is being retired this year so if you're interested in it I would recommend getting it now before it becomes harder to find.

That's an excellent point. I nearly picked it up when vacationing in Montana but ultimately decided against it. Something about the way safari's large theropod's scales are sculpted just doesn't appeal to me. It's just a little too uniform, almost as if it was a filter applied at the end of the process.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on September 25, 2023, 07:45:14 PM
Quote from: SRF on September 25, 2023, 07:31:06 PMPNSO sure knows how to fuel the need to release a new T. Rex once in a while. After the release of Wilson, they implemented the finer skin detail on theropods just months later. Now with Cameron, they implement lips on theropods as the new standard within a few months as well.

Which makes me wonder. If (or rather, when) we see an updated Wilson/Cameron/Andrea, what new upgrade would they roll out in their figures to keep up rex demand?

The new upgrade could be releasing a new lipped T. rex that is ......... drumroll...... NOT IN THE MUSEUM LINE ! Please PNSO I don't want to spend an extra 30 dollars for posters

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Samrukia on September 25, 2023, 09:42:24 AMSaurophaganax with lips!

I don't think I've ever been as instantly in love with a figure as I have with this one. Everything about it is so aesthetically pleasing to me, and to my knowledge it matches with our current understanding. It's even 1:35 scale! (according to the 30cm measure provided in the images)
This is definitely going to be a must buy for me.

Faelrin

avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus Perhaps a bit late responding to your earlier post, but it would be much easier to say what they have done at this point. Compare the below with boxes of things on the bottom of the pages on wikipedia (such as on Theropoda), and you'll see very quickly which have good representation, and which are very poorly represented:

Here is a list:

Spoiler
Neotheropoda:
Averostra:
Ceratosauria:
-Ceratosaurus (2019 Prehistoric Animal Models; very big)

Abelisauroidea:
Abelisauridae:
-Abelisaurus (2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-Carnotaurus (2021 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Indosuchus (2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-Majungasaurus (2016 & 2018 Little Dinosaurs)

Tetanurae:
-Cryolophosaurus (2018 Little Dinosaurs)

Megalosauroidea:
Megalosauridae:
-Megalosaurus (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Torvosaurus (2021 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Spinosauridae:
-Barynoyx (2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-"Sinopliosaurus"/Spinosauridae indet. (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Spinosaurus (2015 & 2018 Little Dinosaurs, 2019 Museum Series, 2020 Prehistoric Animal Models, 2022 Museum series repaint)
-Suchomimus (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Avetheropoda:
Allosauroidea:
Metriacanthosauridae:
-Sinraptor (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Yangchuanosaurus (2017 China Post, 2019 Prehistoric Animal Models & Museum series, and 2023 Prehistoric Animal Models; the 2017, and 2019 figures are small like the Little Dinosaurs figures, the latter is also a repaint/re-release of the former)

Allosauridae:
-Allosaurus (2016 & 2018 Little Dinosaurs, and 2021 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Saurophaganax

Carcharodontosauria:
Carcharodontosauridae:
-Acrocanthosaurus (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Carcharodontosaurus (2021 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Concavenator (2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-Giganotosaurus (2019 and 2023 Museum line)
-Mapusaurus (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Meraxes (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Coelurosauria:
Tyrannoraptora:
Tyrannosauroidea:
-Proceratosaurus (2016 & 2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-Yutyrannus (2021 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Tyrannosauridae:
-Albertosaurus (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Alioramus (2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-Daspletosaurus (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Gorgosaurus (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Lythronax (2023 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Qianzhousaurus (2018 Little Dinosaurs, and 2020 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Tarbosaurus (2021 Prehistoric Animal Models)
-Tyrannosaurus (includes "Nanotyrannus"; more then 5 models)
-Zhuchengtyrannus (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Maniraptoromorpha:
Compsognathidae:
-Sinosauropteryx (2017 China Post, and 2018 Little Dinosaurs; the latter is a repaint/re-release of the former)

Maniraptoriformes:
Ornithomimosauria:
Deinocheiridae:
-Deinocheirus (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Maniraptora:
Therizinosauria:
Therizinosauroidea:
Therizinosauridae:
-Therizinosaurus (2022 Prehistoric Animal Models)

Pennaraptora:
Oviraptorosauria:
Caenagnathoidea:
Caenagnathidae:
-Gigantoraptor (2017 China Post, and 2019 Prehistoric Animal Models; the 2017, and 2019 figures are small like the Little Dinosaurs figures, the latter is also a repaint/re-release of the former; wing anatomy is inaccurate)

Paraves:
Scansoriopterygidae:
-Yi (2018 Little Dinosaurs)

Anchiornithidae:
-Anchiornis (2018 Little Dinosaurs)

Eumaniraptora:
Dromaeosauridae:
-Microraptor (2017 China Post, 2019 & 2020 Prehistoric Animal Models; the 2017, and 2019 figures are small like the Little Dinosaurs figures, the latter is also a repaint/re-release of the former)

Troodontidae:
-Mei (2018 Little Dinosaurs)

Avialae:
-Archaeopteryx (2016 & 2018 Little Dinosaurs)
-Confuciusornis (2016 & 2018 Little Dinosaurs)
[close]
The groups with the most representation is:
Tyrannosauroidea: 11 total (9 within Tyrannosauridae)
Allosauroidea: 10 total (6 within Carcharodontosauridae)

Some taxa they might do from here, now that most of the larger allosauroids and tyrannosauroids (with decent enough remains) are done (short of redoing/updating previous figures to add lips):
-Baryonyx (a larger version)
-Dilophosaurus
-Carnotaurus (up to date post 2021 paper)
-Ceratosaurus (a smaller version)
-Cryolophosaurus (a larger version)
-Gigantoraptor (a larger version; needs corrected wing anatomy)
-Majungausaurus (a larger version)
-Irritator
-Sinosaurus
-more abelisaurids like Ekrixinatosaurus, Rajasaurus, Skorpiovenator, etc
-more dromaeosaurids like Deinonychus, Austroraptor, Utahraptor, etc
-more oviraptorosaurs like Anzu, Corythoraptor, Citipati, and many others
-more ornithomimosaurs like Gallimimus, etc

If they were to do another batch of smaller Little Dinosaurs figures, it would open the doors to genera like:
-Buitreraptor
-Caihong
-Coelophysis
-Dilong
-Dromaeosaurus
-Guanlong
-Halszkaraptor
-Limusaurus
-Masiakasaurus
-Monolophosaurus
-Mononykus
-Saurornitholestes
-Serikornis
-Sinornithosaurus
-Velociraptor
-Zhenyuanlong

as well as many other smaller theropods.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eatmycar

If we don't see a new, lipped T. rex next year I'd sincerely be surprised. That said... where in the hell is Ceratosaurus? It's one of the most famous Jurassic theropods and we haven't seen one since the giant one they did years ago.

How odd, especially when they've done two Allosaurus figures in rapid succession and a Torvosaurus a few years ago as well.

Quiversaurus

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I stand corrected! This is such a comprehensive list, thank you for pulling it together. I'll definitely be saving it and referring to it now and then whenever PNSO releases something new.

The abelisaurids would be a good thread to tug on, imo. There are quite a few of them that don't yet have good (subjective, of course) representation. Wonder what their take on Ekrixinatosaurus (vs Rebor's) and Rajasaurus (vs... Mattel?) would look like.

I particularly like how you've separated out the smaller Little Dinosaurs line for specific species. I hope these guys get some representation eventually.

avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo I find this Saurophaganax strangely aesthetically pleasing too! Somehow it scratches an (aesthetic) itch I never knew I had? It's difficult to put in words...

Eatmycar

I will say, assomeone very critical of this figure and the PNSO line overall - they made a damn good pose. Close the mouth, and it looks curious, just strolling along. On the other hand, open the mouth and you get an aggressive attack posture.

Very few figures can do that, and the lips help give it a lot of character in the best way.

Faelrin

Now that I think about it some more, it's coloration and pattern is pretty similar to the Megalosaurus, at least from how it looked in the earlier promo pics. Like the more I looked at it, the more it was giving me Deja Vu. It took me a hot minute to realize why it felt familiar. I hope it will be more visually interesting in the final figure, since it just looks a bit too dull/washed out to me in these pics, which could also be from the lighting. In fact now that I think of it, some of Safari Ltd's figures suffer from that with their promo pics, looking much better in the hand or natural lighting pics.

Granted I'm probably also spoiled by Rebor's take on this genus, with the bright red and black Smaug inspired coloration, and the metallic purple and brown Zilla themed one. They also did a green iguana based on, but I prefer those too.

Also could the sculpt here represent Allosaurus fragilis? I mean the skull shape at least looks quite a bit like it could. Also what scale would the given dimensions put this at, if using it as Allosaurus fragilis?

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Faelrin on September 26, 2023, 03:43:21 AMAlso what scale would the given dimensions put this at, if using it as Allosaurus fragilis?

Taking the 30cm measurement given, which is likely too small given the curve of the model, it would be about 1:28.3 for an average specimen and 1:32.3 for the largest known specimens.

CarnotaurusKing

Weird the Saurophaganax isn't listed with its species name, but Yangchuanosaurus was. Makes me wonder whether we'll get a "Y. magnus" soon.

In my very quick skimming of some papers on Yangchuanosaurus, there was little indication that "Y.magnus" was actually older than the holotype (CV 00215). Carrano et al (2012) mentions an additional fenestra on the maxilla of "Y.magnus" being a potential signal of maturity, however Rauhut et al (2005) finds that juvenile Allosaurus have more pneumatized skulls than adults. The sacrum is fused in both the holotype and "Y.magnus", and the maxilla and mandibles are also fused (Zhiming et al 1983), indicating both were similarly mature. Carrano et al (2009) mentions ventral keels on "Y.magnus" cervicals which are absent in the holotype, though they mention it "may be a function of comparing different positions within the column" (I'm not sure what they mean by this, any clarification would be welcome). So if the holotype is an adult, that would suggest either an unprecedented amount of individual variation in Y.shangyouensis, or that "Y.magnus" is a separate species. Or PNSO just felt like releasing a model with a full scientific name, who knows.*

*see L @Leyster 's and avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin 's posts on next page

The Saurophaganax is gorgeous. Big fan of the pose and the color scheme (though it's maybe a bit dull, based on these images). Glad to see lips might be here to stay. Could also work as a 1/25-1/30 scale Allosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: