News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

The mouth does not seem to close very well :(

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SenSx on September 29, 2023, 10:14:42 AMThe mouth does not seem to close very well :(

I mean this was what pnso said multiple times, lips just do not work well with this plastic , its warpy causing the mouth to rarely. Close sealed. Then again i aint complaining it still looks good and maybe some individuals are worse some better.

SenSx

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on September 29, 2023, 11:32:27 AM
Quote from: SenSx on September 29, 2023, 10:14:42 AMThe mouth does not seem to close very well :(

I mean this was what pnso said multiple times, lips just do not work well with this plastic , its warpy causing the mouth to rarely. Close sealed. Then again i aint complaining it still looks good and maybe some individuals are worse some better.

Yes it's still good,
But I wonder for people who alwready own the lipless pnso theropods if it will not be better to give them the lip treatment with a commissionned artist instead of buying the official new one with lips.
The mouth will close better, and it will be cheaper.

Of course this question does not concern this Saurophaganax...or maybe it does, someone might manage to make it close its mouth better.

SidB

That, one often observes, also often applies to politicians and their like at inappropriate times and places, and we still haven't found the solution for that either. I've noticed this problem with the GR/HLG Carcharodontosaurus and the older PNSO Yangchuanosaurus, for example and it's a look that I've sort of gotten used to, as if the wearer of the slightly open mouth has a type of Mona Lisa enigmatic aspect or even a slight smirk, which I find somewhat endearing. But that's just me.

Eatmycar

As a Mattel and BoTM collector, I'll add this: QC can vary wildly per figure. Whether that's a result of the final product turning out different from how it was intended to (BoTM's Yuty hoodies), or bad construction (Amber Collection JP3 Raptor jaws). I wouldn't take one sample with meh lips as conclusive of how all of their Sauros will look.

And, again, I must reiterate that this is a learning curve. One figure's lips not sealing seamlessly isn't the end-all-be-all.

Carnoking

That first round of photos did look a bit on the muddy side but paleofiguras just shared more that look a bit nicer. This figure is shaping up to be a must have for me and one of the best in recent memory!

Eatmycar

I still can't get over how good the pose looks on this guy, honestly!

Lanthanotus

Quote from: SidB on September 29, 2023, 12:09:40 PMThat, one often observes, also often applies to politicians and their like at inappropriate times and places, and we still haven't found the solution for that either.

+1 for that :D

I personally do not find the slightly open mouth not too much an issue in those figures. While recent reptiles or birds keep their mouths close shut, most mammals do not, at least while they are active. Now, we know dinosaurs were very active animals with a high metabolic rate. So there may be some reason to think they did not kept their mouth shut tight to allow for higher air flow and cooling from panting (though for sure they are closer to birds than mammals)....

SidB

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 29, 2023, 04:59:49 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 29, 2023, 12:09:40 PMThat, one often observes, also often applies to politicians and their like at inappropriate times and places, and we still haven't found the solution for that either.

+1 for that :D

I personally do not find the slightly open mouth not too much an issue in those figures. While recent reptiles or birds keep their mouths close shut, most mammals do not, at least while they are active. Now, we know dinosaurs were very active animals with a high metabolic rate. So there may be some reason to think they did not kept their mouth shut tight to allow for higher air flow and cooling from panting (though for sure they are closer to birds than mammals)....

Our bearded dragon, Steve-O, keeps his mouth open when he is too warm. I asked him if he was a mouth-breather, but he assured me that he was just thermo-regulating.

Abobo

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Thanks for the heads up on this. I really wasn't feeling the coloration earlier, but this looks much better in those in hand pics, at least the ones with decent lighting. The orange actually looks a bit more vibrant here. That said gonna need to wait to see reviews of this for a better idea on what the back coloration is supposed to be. In the promo pics it looks like a grungy green grey, where as in the in hand pics, there's clearly a layer going from the hips, down the tail that's like a bit more gold or olive in color. The coloration on the legs seems to be a grey or bronze.

I think this one clearly shows how much nicer it is in these pics, compared to the promo pics which really didn't do justice to it (at least for me):

Also that prior sample posted on the last page seems to be another one with poor QC (assuming it was fully closed to begin with, because from the one side it didn't seem to be problematic), much like the Yangchuanosaurus in Andy's video, if I recall right (I've seen some other samples with better qc though, where it can close properly), while this one seems to have much better qc, not perfectly flawless, at least on the one side, with might have a warped lip, but much better. Hopefully going forward they are able to work on these issues so they are less frequent. I mean this is the same company that pulled off the complex engineering for their Dunkleosteus jaw articulation back in 2021. If they can do that, then there should be no reason they can't pull off a lipped theropod as well.

Hopefully these qc issues are few and far between, especially with how much these things cost.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pliosaurking

Definitely one of their best in recent memory!!

PrimevalRaptor

Now this is really stunning, looks super great in hand and even if I wish the colors had a bit more "pop" to them it is a nice pattern, but the lips are really the part that elevates it from a fair few other of their theropods, makes it just feel WAY more natural

Stegotyranno420

Shouldve gotten this instead of Mapuche

SenSx

Wow it looks much better in hand!
And the mouth seems to close fine too.
I just hope it won't rely on luck, like with Rebor figures  :'(

marisaura

it looks like a beautiful figure, even if i do wish they had chosen to make a more solidly supported taxon instead. i guess if one considers it a synonym it works as a lipped remake of their allosaurus too!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

From what I understand it's known to no longer be synonymous now, there's a paper in the works describing new material that clearly differs from allosaurus. The skull diagram from said paper did leak a while ago but idk if I'm allowed to post it.

SenSx

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 29, 2023, 11:35:14 PMFrom what I understand it's known to no longer be synonymous now, there's a paper in the works describing new material that clearly differs from allosaurus. The skull diagram from said paper did leak a while ago but idk if I'm allowed to post it.

It's not longer an Allosaurus ?
Is this figure accurate then ?

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I'm
Quote from: SenSx on September 29, 2023, 11:41:33 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 29, 2023, 11:35:14 PMFrom what I understand it's known to no longer be synonymous now, there's a paper in the works describing new material that clearly differs from allosaurus. The skull diagram from said paper did leak a while ago but idk if I'm allowed to post it.

It's not longer an Allosaurus ?

Sadly no, at least not in terms of the skull. The figure itself is more or less 1:1 Allosaurus fragilis

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on September 29, 2023, 06:04:02 PMavatar_Carnoking @Carnoking

I like the model even more now based on these pictures. The lip seal on this particular one seems better than the first in-hand pictures posted. Plus that pose (those toes on the right foot!), and the choice of colours...

I was about to pull the trigger on their Allosaurus jimmadseni, but part of me is hesitating now, on thr off-chance they redo it. I might just get the HLG Apatosaurus first while I wait and see.

This has gotten me more excited for their next release - while previously I was hoping they stop this theropod streak, I'm now eager for the next theropod to show us what they can do with this new lipped approach.

I too feel that a lipped Cameron/Wilson T.rex is inevitable, but I'm looking out for a better 1:35 scaled, lipped Qianzhousaurus in particular!

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 30, 2023, 12:37:28 AM
Quote from: SenSx on September 29, 2023, 11:41:33 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 29, 2023, 11:35:14 PMIt's not longer an Allosaurus ?

Sadly no, at least not in terms of the skull. The figure itself is more or less 1:1 Allosaurus fragilis

Does this mean this Saurophaganax can be taken as a larger-scaled A.fragilis?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: