News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Excellent observations, S @Shane , nature is both variable and given to producing the unpredictable at times. As with the Safari Zuul, I see no reason to jettison a new sculpt simply because it doesn't precisely conform to a stereotypical 'standard' that has been idealized in the latest 'paper', given that these papers are often superceded  or refuted soon enough. Given the rapid generation of new publications, it's really hard for paleoartists to keep current with the pace of newer interpretations - look at Watson's Ankylosaurus and Edmontosaurus, for example. Terrific products really , but just missed the boat with the latest interpretations; that didn't stop me from buying either of them and no regrets.

Sim

Thanks for the info guys.  I knew the Safari Einiosaurus's asymmetry in the brow area is based on a specimen of Einiosaurus.  The CollectA Einiosaurus also has asymmetry on the head: before the large frill spikes, it has two small spikes on one side and only one small spike on the other.  I don't know if that is based on something.  These kinds of asymmetry bother me if they were on figures I own, so I've avoided them, and Safari's Zuul too.  I knew the Zuul specimen has asymmetry on its tail club but I had not noticed the club's knob overlaps where a small spike is on the other side.

Looking at the photos again, it looks like one of the red-painted midline osteoderms on the PNSO Zuul might be flat, so it might have been a mistake to paint it red.  If on the actual figure it is painted black/grey like the main body colour, I think I will get this Zuul.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Looking at the booklet in one of the promo images, Zuul's coloration seems to be based on borealopelta, which is neat.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

As for the asymmetry, I kinda like it, makes it look more like a real animal.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Abobo on October 26, 2023, 11:50:27 AMstrange, the PNSO store on Ali Express seems to have vanished?

PNSO Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGNOfD5

Sim

Okay, I'm ready to replace my PNSO museum series Yangchuanosaurus with this new PNSO version.  So, I wouldn't mind PNSO remaking Chungkingosaurus too, even though it isn't something I'm especially interested in.

It's nice that PNSO is doing something different to large theropods again.  Since they intentionally made two different species of Yangchuanosaurus (although I believe magnus is the adult form of shangyouensis), I wonder if PNSO will make Stegosaurus ungulatus?  They could also make more than one species of Chasmosaurus!  I hope PNSO stops with the allosauroids for a while now though, they've made so many this year and allosauroids are the best-represented group of prehistoric animals in figure form.

Quiversaurus

PNSO have been dropping loads of species sketches recently, some of which we've been hoping for from them, like Concavenator, Alioramus, Proceratosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Majungasaurus, Kentrosaurus... I wonder if this is any indication of things to come?

The theropods are sketched without lips though, so they may just be reposting older videos, but the possibility still stands I feel.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Quiversaurus on October 27, 2023, 04:23:03 AMPNSO have been dropping loads of species sketches recently, some of which we've been hoping for from them, like Concavenator, Alioramus, Proceratosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Majungasaurus, Kentrosaurus... I wonder if this is any indication of things to come?

The theropods are sketched without lips though, so they may just be reposting older videos, but the possibility still stands I feel.
Every sketch refers to their minis line. They have, as far as I can tell, 48 figures but now they only sell 24 of them in box sets and external retailers as Everything Dinosaur and Lana have individually more to offer.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on October 27, 2023, 04:54:40 AM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on October 27, 2023, 04:23:03 AMPNSO have been dropping loads of species sketches recently, some of which we've been hoping for from them, like Concavenator, Alioramus, Proceratosaurus, Archaeopteryx, Majungasaurus, Kentrosaurus... I wonder if this is any indication of things to come?

Every sketch refers to their minis line. They have, as far as I can tell, 48 figures but now they only sell 24 of them in box sets and external retailers as Everything Dinosaur and Lana have individually more to offer.

Ah I see, thanks for that!

Halichoeres

Well, the Zuul is a breath of fresh air. avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin it looked green to me at first too! I wonder if the warm color of the spikes creates the illusion of green. That, or being primed to expect green by so many previous depictions!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

My suspicion is that expectation has a lot to do with it.

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 27, 2023, 12:05:14 PMWell, the Zuul is a breath of fresh air. avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin it looked green to me at first too! I wonder if the warm color of the spikes creates the illusion of green. That, or being primed to expect green by so many previous depictions!

Lynx

They've done this for years, it doesn't really mean anything.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yeah I think it was a bit of both of that for me. Edit: Plus initial tiredness too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joel1905

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on October 26, 2023, 12:43:27 AM
Gotten a decent bit of mileage out of this clip of late.

Anyway, they both look fantastic. I'm not too convinced by the separation of Y.magnus, but at least we have the large individual represented. Pretty gnarly looking model too, gives me Dinosaur King vibes. Hoping for more ankylosaurs from them. A Tarchia, Gastonia or Talarurus would be swell. Maybe even this Zhongyuanosaurus they did a while back:

https://twitter.com/pnso_official/status/1617503665627041793

The nose horn is certainly a choice, but it's got cheeks at least.

Is the Zuul accurate to the redescription it got a while back?

A lot of paleoartists are reconstructing Ornithischians with lizard-like lips or 'beaky lips' instead of cheeks now, Gabriel Ugueto & Mario Lanzas being two that come to mind. Cheeks are a specifically mammalian adaptation for suckling, it's somewhat of a myth that they're an adaptation for keeping food in their mouths.

'Cheeks' still have their backers, but it's not a black mark against PNSO for not including cheeks.

EuropaSuchus

The best thing ever would be Zuul meaning other 2-3 ankylosaurus would be realeased. I really hope to see more of those.

Joel1905

Quote from: EuropaSuchus on October 28, 2023, 02:17:18 PMThe best thing ever would be Zuul meaning other 2-3 ankylosaurus would be realeased. I really hope to see more of those.

We do need an up to date Euoplocephalus & Tarchia... Edmontonia & Polacanthus would be welcome too.

thomasw100

Hi there, is the Zuul already available for purchase? I have not seen it on the website of Lana Time Shop from which I buy most of the time.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Joel1905 on October 31, 2023, 09:36:59 PMWe do need an up to date Euoplocephalus & Tarchia... Edmontonia & Polacanthus would be welcome too.

Haolonggood has a pretty solid Edmontonia imo, two coloured variants as well!

Halichoeres

Quote from: thomasw100 on November 01, 2023, 09:45:11 AMHi there, is the Zuul already available for purchase? I have not seen it on the website of Lana Time Shop from which I buy most of the time.

It's on Amazon although I'm waiting for Happy Hen to stock it. Amazon: https://a.co/d/9pOWuV6
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kuraro

Is the Zuul available on AliExpress? Can't find it( MyOnlineToyShop or PNSO official

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: