News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TNG - New for 2023

Started by Thialfi, July 06, 2023, 03:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Both diagrams are of the manus.

Digit I (thumb) is vestigial. Digis II to IV are clawed. Digit V is reduced and lacks a claw. The TNG model from the pics alone seem to have 4 clawed digits which is inherently inaccurate. Now as to whether the extra claw on the TNG model is present on the vestigial thumb or the reduced pinkie is up for debate without better pics.

As for the pes, Megatherium to my knowledge had 3 clawed digits, a feature that most ground sloths share. Hard to tell from the pics, but the fact that TNG has Digits II and III curved & tucked under it's feet scores points in the accuracy department, as these sloths would've been walking on the lateral edge of their foot as opposed to the soles. The new Kaiyodo one is a bit inaccurate in this regard, interestingly their retired version does not make this mistake.

While I'm hesitant to make a final call this early as we haven't seen the full TNG figure yet, my gut's pointing towards Kaiyodo being the better representation.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Fembrogon on November 06, 2023, 08:33:48 PMThe Hallucigenia Opabinia and look like the Trilobiti Design sculpts to me.
Hallucigenia review
Opabinia review

I thought they looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place it! What are the odds they have permission from Trilobiti to use these designs?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

Yeah, I didn't want to say it out loud, given the discourse around this brand, but that's really the unavoidable question.
I'd LOVE to have an affordable, large-scale PVC Hallucigenia figurine; but I'd rather know it was produced under favorable circumstances.

bmathison1972

It would be nice if they did formally work with Trilobiti; it would be nice to have PVC versions. They would be cheaper and less fragile.

Concavenator

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thank you for your detailed breadkdown!  :)

It's a pity about those inaccuracies. Inaccuracies with manus and pes bug me quite a bit. Hopefully there will be a Megatherium for Beasts of the Cenozoic, clearly I don't see them making these mistakes.

Halichoeres

An inquiry to Trilobiti got this response:

"No don't worry[, they] are different from my design."

If they're not mad, I'm not going to get mad for them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

if a set of Cambrian critters from TNG comes out, I am sure to get them. I might even pre-emptively reserve them for the Blog LOL  8)  ;D  O:-)

Saarlooswolfhound

8) I see lots of great items coming, I just hope the distribution gets better for the world market!

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 07, 2023, 04:08:27 PMAn inquiry to Trilobiti got this response:

"No don't worry[, they] are different from my design."

If they're not mad, I'm not going to get mad for them.

That's good to hear! Thanks for reaching out to Trilobiti for confirmation.

For me at least, the figure seems to match the press release model/artwork of Hallucigenia's anatomical overhaul from back in 2015 rather than the Trilobiti design.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.