News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 04, 2023, 06:40:28 AM
Quote from: thomasw100 on December 04, 2023, 06:01:16 AM
Quote from: Eatmycar on December 03, 2023, 10:59:08 PMA is an absolute stunner, and I strongly encourage HLG to go big and bold. There are enough companies providing bland dinosaur figures - do we REALLY need more brown dinosaurs? Good heavens.

The more conservative schemes may blend better with people's ideas of what sauropods looked like in the flesh, but let's not forget that we have nothing on this planet that is comparable to a sauropod. Our largest megafauna are mammals, not birds nor reptiles, so it isn't a fair comparison to make.

Be bold, please.

I am sorry but you push your personal taste here as if this were the only reasonable possibility. You may feel strongly that we need no more brown or gray dinosaurs, but others like myself feel differently. Yes we do not know what colors dinosaurs had but this makes flashy colors or more brown or gray colors equally plausible. Yes we know large mammals which have distinct and vivid colors but we also know large mammals like elephants, rhinos or hippos which are just gray. And we know mammals with gray or brown body color but with a distinct accent like a crest or similar. So the arguments that you use to support your view are a straw man. Because we really do not know. Actually in the one case that we know, the Borealopelta, the colors are more red-brown earth tones. But then in all fairness one cannot compare an ankylosaur with a large sauropod because they had a very different lifestyle and were at very different risk from predation.

In my messages I have expressed understanding and appreciation of the fact that different people have different taste and like different things and that it would be best if Haolonggood caters to these different groups of people. This means I try to accommodate the preference of people like you and then of course of myself as well. Ultimately Haolonggood needs to be successful with this model. But if they would only go for a super flashy paint scheme and this results in poor sales figures, we all will have lost in the end. And the large market in China and the preference of people in China will play a major role in this. We should not forget this.

They are offering an opinion from what  I can tell, a personal one by saying " I strongly encourage HLG.." which these opinions were asked for.

But by denigrating the work of other companies and by implication also the taste of people who obviously like these products. One can like the flashy color option and also acknowledge that others find the not so flashy ones nicer.

thomasw100

Quote from: vampiredesign on December 04, 2023, 02:57:01 AMNext year's product model is also welcome for discussion and discussion.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0akLCmr-FR/
https://twitter.com/zlx545721087/status/1731506019359191490/photo/1
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=282505868077388&set=gm.2611430635689107&idorvanity=1340139939484856

Overall a really lovely model, the one major ankylosaur species that I am still missing, so definitely looking forward to it. Could you please post pictures that show the hands and feet in more detail and from different angles? I would like to have a closer look at the number and shape of the digits on both the hand and feet. Also it would be nice if you could post a close-up picture of the head in lateral and frontal view.

CarnotaurusKing

Glad it's a dead-ringer for what's known of Euoplocephalus, not to mention being such a good looking model. Can't wait for this one.

Alamosaurus looks gorgeous as well. I just hope one of the variants is color scheme A.

Concavenator

I think we can officially claim Haolonggood as the company that's closest to their customers and that most cares about their opinions; I've certainly never seen anything like this before. Very good decision to share advances of the models, in my opinion.

As T @thomasw100 said, it would be nice to see the hands and feet in closer detail, sometimes errors are made in these parts. Also, I'm not sure, based on the pic, if the hands are pronated? If they are, they could be oriented more laterally.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 04, 2023, 06:36:48 AM
Quote from: SidB on December 04, 2023, 04:44:03 AMTypically, I believe that the existing sculpts, like the Battat Euplocephalus and Papo's one (it's so-called Ankylosaurus), are or were necessarily chimeras, with missing Euplocephalus elements filled in by Scolosaurus ones. Does anyone know if we've attained to a more complete picture of Euplocehalus as Euplocephalus alone?

For the sake of comparison, I include here the skeletal reconstruction by Scott Hartman. I think this would be a good starting point for analyzing the model.

Yes, that quite useful for the overall skeletal, but it doesn't indicate which parts are exclusively Euplocephalus, does it?

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on December 04, 2023, 12:33:51 PM
Quote from: SidB on December 04, 2023, 04:44:03 AMTypically, I believe that the existing sculpts, like the Battat Euplocephalus and Papo's one (it's so-called Ankylosaurus), are or were necessarily chimeras, with missing Euplocephalus elements filled in by Scolosaurus ones. Does anyone know if we've attained to a more complete picture of Euplocehalus as Euplocephalus alone?

For the sake of comparison, I include here the skeletal reconstruction by Scott Hartman. I think this would be a good starting point for analyzing the model.

Yes, that quite useful for the overall skeletal, but it doesn't indicate which parts are exclusively Euplocephalus, does it?

This skeletal reconstruction is labelled as Euoplocephalus tutus on the website of Scott Hartman (https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/euoplocephalus), this label is for some reason just not included in the linked image file itself.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 04, 2023, 12:37:23 PM
Quote from: SidB on December 04, 2023, 12:33:51 PM

This skeletal reconstruction is labelled as Euoplocephalus tutus on the website of Scott Hartman (https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/euoplocephalus), this label is for some reason just not included in the linked image file itself.
On the assumption that the entire picture is composed of exclusively Euplo components, that would then be perfect, or close enough. BUT, I'm still wondering if Hartman didn't include Scolosaurus elements to fill out an incomplete picture. I guess that I'll keep wondering if that's the case until it's absolutely confirmed or denied, explicitly, T @thomasw100 .

LucasLiu

Bread

SidB

ceratopsian

I thought I was living in the Golden Age for dinosaur model collectors. Recently I think it's more a Platinum Age! 

postsaurischian

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: LucasLiu on December 04, 2023, 01:58:56 PM

You can't beat HLG when it comes to herbivores. What a stunning figure. I'd love to see more hadrosaurs from them next year!
* (It's locked.)

bmathison1972

Ooooooo I am getting that Tlatolophus!!!! Curious, is it 2023 or 2024?

BTW, the Alamasaurus is strikingly beautiful, in any of the color choices, but for size considerations, I think I'll go with PNSO this time around.

Pliosaurking

shahinos

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 04, 2023, 02:40:49 PMOoooooo I am getting that Tlatolophus!!!! Curious, is it 2023 or 2024?

BTW, the Alamasaurus is strikingly beautiful, in any of three color choices, but for size considerations, I think I'll go with PNSO this time around.

Apparently release date is this Wednesday.

Concavenator

Wow, I assumed we were going to see the Edmontosaurus!

Oh how I wish I had known this was coming back when I ordered the Ancestors one...  :'(

Flaffy

Stunning detail work on the Tlatolophus, will definitely be picking it up. Now I just wish Haolonggood would do away with the squiggly scribble-like patterns/lines on their figures. (also see Wuerhosaurus, Allosaurus and Megaraptor)

I just feel that the presentation clashes with the professionally executed sculpt underneath.

Flaffy

S @SidB T @thomasw100 GAT has a good rigorous skeletal series of Euoplocephalus and kin. Shows clearly what we've actually recovered versus inferred anatomy from other species.

"Top to bottom,
Euoplocephalus tutus (composite),
Dyoplosaurus acutosquameus (holotype),
Scolosaurus cutleri (composite, includes "Oohkotokia"),
and Anodontosaurus lambei (composite)." - GetAwayTrike

Based on V @vampiredesign  responses in the Paleofiguras FB group, the sculpt was largely based off of the GAT Scolosaurus. Unfortunately due to the angle it's hard to tell whether the headsculpt is a true Euoplocephalus or Scolosaurus. More angles are needed. Though based on the more raised 1st row of neck osteoderms (versus the flatter ones in Scolosaurus), it's a good sign that HLG made the appropriate edits so that Euoplocephalus material is represented.

GSP's Euoplocephalus skeletal for comparison as well:

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: LucasLiu on December 04, 2023, 01:58:56 PM
Ooohhh my gaaaash! That is a top tier Tlatolophus  ;D the pair would surely look awesome! Is there going to be another colour scheme too?  :o

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: