News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

That Tlatolophus looks gorgeous already, a must-have for sure.

A new Euoplocephalus is very welcome too - although, frankly, a modern Scolosaurus figurine would be great as well.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , that's most helpful as a clarifier. Guess that we'll just have to see the final images of the HLG sculpt to know for sure, though from what you've said, it looks very promising that we'll be getting an authentic Euplo.

Faelrin

That Tlatolophus is a must buy for me. So glad there's a PVC take on this now. Surprised CollectA didn't get to this beauty first (then again PNSO also beat them to the punch with Meraxes as well).

Euoplocephalus is a nice surprise even if it might be a hodgepodge of other ankylosaur material. Still no one has attempted it since the repainted Battat one as far as I know, and being another Dinosaur Park taxon it will fit at home right alongside their Edmontonia pair that released earlier this year.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on December 04, 2023, 02:38:58 PM
Quote from: LucasLiu on December 04, 2023, 01:58:56 PM

You can't beat HLG when it comes to herbivores. What a stunning figure. I'd love to see more hadrosaurs from them next year!

I echo this sentiment, it was the exact thought I had. Really like the dynamic pose and the open mouth. Keep the herbivores coming, V @vampiredesign !

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on December 04, 2023, 03:42:33 PMStunning detail work on the Tlatolophus, will definitely be picking it up. Now I just wish Haolonggood would do away with the squiggly scribble-like patterns/lines on their figures. (also see Wuerhosaurus, Allosaurus and Megaraptor)

I just feel that the presentation clashes with the professionally executed sculpt underneath.

A lovely model which very nicely represents the species. Also the blue crest is nicely complementary to the yellow, red and orange crests that we see on some other hadrosaur models like for example the PNSO models. But honestly I share this sentiment about the white lines. If they had just left those white squiggly lines out. The sculpt looks so fine and detailed and the basic striping pattern and color scheme is really beautiful. As are the fine bluish accents on the dorsal line. But then comes the white pattern on top which for my taste just breaks the perfect harmony of shapes and colors of the underlying work. If one could just erase that last layer of white lines. Or Haolonggood could offer a variant where all the white stuff has not been applied. Maybe the latter would be still possible, potentially in a second run of the model?

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on December 04, 2023, 05:25:26 PMThanks, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , that's most helpful as a clarifier. Guess that we'll just have to see the final images of the HLG sculpt to know for sure, though from what you've said, it looks very promising that we'll be getting an authentic Euplo.

Also worth noting tail club morphology, apologies I forgot to mention it previously. Many reconstructions (GSP included) use Anodontosaurus's hammer-like tail club for Euoplocephalus, when in reality it had a much more rounded shape. Hopefully V @vampiredesign also gives us more angles of the tail club so that we can check it's shape.

Anodontosaurus: Tail club A
Euoplocephalus: Tail club H

Spoiler
"Figure 14. Tail clubs.

Tail club knobs from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation in A–E: AMNH 5245 in A) dorsal and B) anterior views; C) TMP 1994.168.1 in dorsal view; D) AMNH 5216 in dorsal view; E) USNM 10753 in dorsal view. Tail club knobs from the Dinosaur Park Formation in F–Q: F) ROM 788 in ventral view; G) MACN Pv 12554 in ventral view; H) CMN 349 in ventral view; TMP 1983.36.120 in I) posterior and J) dorsal views; K) UALVP 16247 in dorsal view; L) CMN 135 in dorsal view; M) TMP 2001.42.9 in dorsal view; ROM 784 (holotype of Dyoplosaurus acutosquameus) in N) posterior and O) dorsal views; P) UALVP 47273 in dorsal view; Q) ROM 7761 in dorsal view. Scale bar equals 10 cm. Photograph of MACN Pv 12554 taken by E. Snively, photograph of CMN 349 taken by M. Burns, used with permission. Photograph of AMNH 5216 courtesy of the American Museum of Natural History. Abbreviations: hs, haemal spine; maj os, major osteoderm of the tail club knob; min os, minor osteoderm of the tail club knob; ns, neural spine; ot, ossified tendon; prz, prezygapophysis."
[close]

Another helpful diagram from the Pseudocephalus blog by Arbour:

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on December 04, 2023, 03:52:04 PMS @SidB T @thomasw100 GAT has a good rigorous skeletal series of Euoplocephalus and kin. Shows clearly what we've actually recovered versus inferred anatomy from other species.

"Top to bottom,
Euoplocephalus tutus (composite),
Dyoplosaurus acutosquameus (holotype),
Scolosaurus cutleri (composite, includes "Oohkotokia"),
and Anodontosaurus lambei (composite)." - GetAwayTrike

Based on V @vampiredesign  responses in the Paleofiguras FB group, the sculpt was largely based off of the GAT Scolosaurus. Unfortunately due to the angle it's hard to tell whether the headsculpt is a true Euoplocephalus or Scolosaurus. More angles are needed. Though based on the more raised 1st row of neck osteoderms (versus the flatter ones in Scolosaurus), it's a good sign that HLG made the appropriate edits so that Euoplocephalus material is represented.

GSP's Euoplocephalus skeletal for comparison as well:

I was not able to see the response in Paleofiguras Facebook group, because I do not have a Facebook account and it is a closed Facebook group. I have no problem with the Euoplocephalus being filled in with Scolosaurus material, as long as the features of Euoplocephalus for which we have fossil material are properly represented. The head and the hand and feet still require closer inspection.

Sim

Those ankylosaurid skeletals by Getawaytrike are based on Arbour's interpretation, which while valid, is not the most recent one.  Penkalski in 2018 published a different interpretation of the "Euoplocephalus-like" ankylosaurids and it has not been challenged, so I would go with that interpretation as being the most reliable.  The result of that, in my understanding is that Getawaytrike's Euoplocephalus is Scolosaurus thronus, their Scolosaurus is a chimera of Scolosaurus cutleri and Oohkotokia, and the Dyoplosaurus and Anodontosaurus are unchanged.

Gregory Paul's Euoplocephalus appears to be Scolosaurus cutleri with the tail club of Anodontosaurus (the tail club of S. cutleri being unknown afaik, although S. thronus has a differently shaped tail club which I think should be followed for S. cutleri since they are each other's closest relatives).

Scott Hartman's Euoplocephalus looks like it has the head of Scolosaurus cutleri and the postcrania of Zuul?

Euoplocephalus remains appear to be basically just skulls and neck armour.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on December 04, 2023, 05:59:46 PMThose ankylosaurid skeletals by Getawaytrike are based on Arbour's interpretation, which while valid, is not the most recent one.  Penkalski in 2018 published a different interpretation of the "Euoplocephalus-like" ankylosaurids and it has not been challenged, so I would go with that interpretation as being the most reliable.  The result of that, in my understanding is that Getawaytrike's Euoplocephalus is Scolosaurus thronus, their Scolosaurus is a chimera of Scolosaurus cutleri and Oohkotokia, and the Dyoplosaurus and Anodontosaurus are unchanged.

Gregory Paul's Euoplocephalus appears to be Scolosaurus cutleri with the tail club of Anodontosaurus (the tail club of S. cutleri being unknown afaik, although S. thronus has a differently shaped tail club which I think should be followed for S. cutleri since they are each other's closest relatives).

Scott Hartman's Euoplocephalus looks like it has the head of Scolosaurus cutleri and the postcrania of Zuul?

Euoplocephalus remains appear to be basically just skulls and neck armour.

Indeed, however since HLG is going with Arbour's interpretation I'm inclined to judge it based on that. (and partially because the whole situation with Euoplocephalus/Scolosaurus is so messy that I just prefer the simpler explanation)

Arbour and co. has produced these very helpful diagrams to help understand the subtle differences in cranial morphology along with osteoderm shape, position and number between different ankylosaurids. Hence why it's so important for HLG to give close up shots of all the angles of the head for their Euoplocephalus.

One thing I already notice is the presence of ornaments above the jugal horn on HLG's sculpt. Likely an artefact of referencing GAT's Scolosaurus which displays these large bumps. In Euoplocephalus these would not be present.

Figures from Arbour & Mallon 2017 and Arbour & Evans 2017 respectively.

Sim

I too prefer Arbour's classification due to being simpler and easier to understand, but it's been almost six years since Penkalski published theirs and there has been no opposition to it published, so I think that is the classification to follow.  Fortunately, it doesn't mean as much for Euoplocephalus as it does for Scolosaurus.  For Euoplocephalus it just means most of its anatomy is unknown.

Haolonggood's Euoplocephalus is looking very good!  I notice though that it only has two pairs of pointed osteoderms on its neck rings, while definite Euoplocephalus specimens, including the Euoplocephalus holotype, have three pointed osteoderms on each side of the neck rings.  The discrepancy appears to be due to following Gregory Paul's skeletal.

Oh, and the Papo Ankylosaurus is not a chimera by necessity, it's just poorly researched.  Its head is that of Ankylosaurus, the body armour is that of Scolosaurus cutleri (inaccurate for Ankylosaurus), and the tail club is just made-up while the tail club of Ankylosaurus is known.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Quiversaurus on December 04, 2023, 05:41:45 PMI echo this sentiment, it was the exact thought I had. Really like the dynamic pose and the open mouth. Keep the herbivores coming, V @vampiredesign !

If we're lucky, maybe we can see even more underrepresented species from them! Fingers crossed for something like a Plateosaurus, an Ornithomimus or a Gigantoraptor..  :))
* (It's locked.)

Sim

I'm very happy Haolonggood will make another ankylosaurid!  I look forward to this one! :)

EuropaSuchus

Euoplocephalus looks great, but I fear about a shape of its tail club. Gregory Paul made a chimeric skeletal of Euoplocephalus with wide, short, axe-like club which is characteristic of Anodontosaurus, and prototype looks pretty similar to it. I wanna my Euoplo to be 100% Euoplocephalus tutus, not some intermiediate generic ankylosaurid.

But, looking on this from other side, opinion of Euoplocephalus having long, melon-like club is based on Victoria Arbour paper, while other scientist, Paul Penkalski, referred long-clubbed Euoplocephalus specimens to two new species : Platypelta coombsi and Scolosaurus thronus (not to be confused with type species of a genus Scolosaurus, S. cutleri), by this decision making Euoplocephalus tutus club unknown.

Yes, Late Campanian ankylosaurids of North America are such a taxonomical mess.

EuropaSuchus

Quote from: Sim on December 04, 2023, 05:59:46 PMThose ankylosaurid skeletals by Getawaytrike are based on Arbour's interpretation, which while valid, is not the most recent one.  Penkalski in 2018 published a different interpretation of the "Euoplocephalus-like" ankylosaurids and it has not been challenged, so I would go with that interpretation as being the most reliable.  The result of that, in my understanding is that Getawaytrike's Euoplocephalus is Scolosaurus thronus, their Scolosaurus is a chimera of Scolosaurus cutleri and Oohkotokia, and the Dyoplosaurus and Anodontosaurus are unchanged.

It't even a bit worse, skulls of most of Euoplocephalus skeletals are from AMNH 5405, specimen that Penkalski didn't referred in any exact species, leaving it just as Scolosaurus sp.

Euoplocephalus isn't only skulls and neck armor afaik, I remember some postcrania mentioned in Penkalski paper, but yes, tail club of Euoplocephalus tutus is unknown, if we consider Penkalski work as valid.

There is a reason why long ago Coombs refused to deeply research an "Euoplo-complex" and throw everything together as Euoplocephalus tutus, every specimen is uniqie, so it's hard to classify them on groups using criteria that may or not may be significant.

CarnotaurusKing

Boy would it be neat if Penkalski (2018) wasn't paywalled.

EuropaSuchus

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on December 04, 2023, 09:51:04 PMBoy would it be neat if Penkalski (2018) wasn't paywalled.
I have it downloaded (idk how, Sci-hub maybe), but I am a bit of noob on this forum to add files.

CarnotaurusKing

E @EuropaSuchus you could try posting it on a file hosting site and sharing the link here, or in private messages for anyone interested.

vampiredesign

That account belongs to a colleague, not me. I haven't registered, I only have this account. I don't have much time to do those tasks, my colleagues will tell me the news. I am still sorting out the color scheme for the big guy, and there may be three possible schemes. Try your best to satisfy everyone, but there won't be a lot in quantity. At present, this job still needs to continue, as it has added a lot of work. Secondly, there is still a need to design the paint carefully for the previous new products of the big guy.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: vampiredesign on December 05, 2023, 03:33:09 AMThat account belongs to a colleague, not me. I haven't registered, I only have this account. I don't have much time to do those tasks, my colleagues will tell me the news. I am still sorting out the color scheme for the big guy, and there may be three possible schemes. Try your best to satisfy everyone, but there won't be a lot in quantity. At present, this job still needs to continue, as it has added a lot of work. Secondly, there is still a need to design the paint carefully for the previous new products of the big guy.
Then its a big bravo to all the HLG team! Y'all continue to amaze and surprise us with each release.
I hope we can all get at least one of those Alamosaurus. That Tlatolophus is a joy to the eye! I can't imagine the other colour scheme to pair with!  :D
I'm looking forward to every new release!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: