News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Wow wow wow, I'd be interested in any Ornithischia I don't have figures of!!! Euoplocephalus, Kentrosaurus, and Hungarosaurus are all very exciting and tempting. Of course, Safari is re-releasing their Kentrosaurus this year, so it may come down to which ever is released first  ;). But...Haolonggood's ornithischians are...so...good!!!! :-)

thomasw100

With all these new ornithischia models being released, we are in dire need of the Eofauna book on Ornithischia coming out any time soon. I remember having seen a leaked title page in summer, but unfortunately no updates ever since.

Sim

I'm surprised Haolonggood is making Hungarosaurus.  I wondered if they would make another nodosaurid and wasn't sure what they'd pick which was not too similar to their Edmontonia and which doesn't have a good figure already.  Thanks for sharing this, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator!

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 05, 2023, 02:51:05 PMWow wow wow, I'd be interested in any Ornithischia I don't have figures of!!! Euoplocephalus, Kentrosaurus, and Hungarosaurus are all very exciting and tempting. Of course, Safari is re-releasing their Kentrosaurus this year, so it may come down to which ever is released first  ;). But...Haolonggood's ornithischians are...so...good!!!! :-)
Have you considered getting the CollectA Kentrosaurus?  It's more accurate than Safari's.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on December 05, 2023, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 05, 2023, 02:51:05 PMWow wow wow, I'd be interested in any Ornithischia I don't have figures of!!! Euoplocephalus, Kentrosaurus, and Hungarosaurus are all very exciting and tempting. Of course, Safari is re-releasing their Kentrosaurus this year, so it may come down to which ever is released first  ;). But...Haolonggood's ornithischians are...so...good!!!! :-)
Have you considered getting the CollectA Kentrosaurus?  It's more accurate than Safari's.

I much prefer Safari's style over CollectA

Sim

Quote from: Carnoking on December 05, 2023, 04:22:52 AMI've started to notice that HAOLONGGOOD's colors do seem to be "repeating"

The megaraptor variants bore a bit of a resemblance to the two Carnos, the new blue Baryonyx colors look a lot like the Allosaurus, and now these two Tlatolophus having similar colors to the Ouranosaurus duo.

As someone who isn't too bothered seeing similar colors used by the likes of PNSO, I can't say I'm too put off by this but it is interesting to see nonetheless. Perhaps HAOLONGGOOD gets more of a pass because the familiar colors are at the very least interesting.
The Haolonggood blue Allosaurus and Baryonyx also have a similar colouration to one of the Haolonggood Tyrannosaurus.  So far I haven't got figures with the same style of colouration, the closest was the green Ouranosaurus and Dacentrurus, but their colouration is less similar than it looked like in photos.

marisaura

haolonggood's ornithischians remain unmatched! great work on the tlatolophus y'all :))

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Comparing the detail on this latest release to their earliest models like ouranosaurus, it's staggering to see just how far HLG has come in less than a year. In my opinion the sculpt and paint quality on this new figure easily rivals PNSO, well done to V @vampiredesign and the rest of your team! I look forward to seeing this company grow even further in the coming years.

postsaurischian

... and the DTF award for Dinosaur Toy Company of the year 2023 goes to .... HAOLONGGOOD :D !

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on December 05, 2023, 07:24:58 PMComparing the detail on this latest release to their earliest models like ouranosaurus, it's staggering to see just how far HLG has come in less than a year. In my opinion the sculpt and paint quality on this new figure easily rivals PNSO, well done to V @vampiredesign and the rest of your team! I look forward to seeing this company grow even further in the coming years.

From the pictures the fineness of the skin texture of this new model is really amazing and indeed is on the same level as PNSO. And Haolonggood managed to reach this level in just one year, whereas it took several years for PNSO to get to this point. Now imagine they will continue to improve in the months to come, they may easily surpass PNSO next year. I think the big guy, the Alamosaurus, will be an important milestone and test in this respect. If they manage to produce a similarly fine and rich skin texture on such a huge model, this will be a really significant achievement. This will signal that mass produced PVC models can match even with very large resin models. Concerning the paint application, this is of course always a question of individual taste. The pictures of the Tlatolophus suggest that the basic colors are much more natural and show more subtle gradients than in earlier releases like for example the Ouranosaurus. I do also get the impression that they have again applied a nice dark wash which always makes models look so naturally. So they have definitely managed to catch up with PNSO. However, I feel that they should carefully reconsider if they will use these wiggly white lines again in future releases. Or at least apply this in a much more gentle way. These lines in my view rather obscure the wonderful details of the sculpt and also break the harmony of the otherwise beautiful color scheme. If we look for example at the PNSO Iguanodon, this model has also some whitish lines and stripes, but these are much more gently applied and do not create a too strong contrast with the basic color scheme.

Concavenator

As is the case with Eofauna, Haolonggood's figures really put into perspective how overpriced PNSO's figures are. This Tlatolophus is perfectly comparable to PNSO's Olorotitan and Tsintaosaurus, which are about two or three times its price, respectively.

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on December 05, 2023, 11:27:52 PMAs is the case with Eofauna, Haolonggood's figures really put into perspective how overpriced PNSO's figures are. This Tlatolophus is perfectly comparable to PNSO's Olorotitan and Tsintaosaurus, which are about two or three times its price, respectively.
I'm still bitter about PNSO's price of that Tsintoasaurus. Olorotitan I'll let the $40 price point slide, but that $60 on the Tsintoasaurus is insane jump based on the model's size. It's what is stopping me from acquiring that model, too.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Bread on December 06, 2023, 12:48:12 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 05, 2023, 11:27:52 PMAs is the case with Eofauna, Haolonggood's figures really put into perspective how overpriced PNSO's figures are. This Tlatolophus is perfectly comparable to PNSO's Olorotitan and Tsintaosaurus, which are about two or three times its price, respectively.
I'm still bitter about PNSO's price of that Tsintoasaurus. Olorotitan I'll let the $40 price point slide, but that $60 on the Tsintoasaurus is insane jump based on the model's size. It's what is stopping me from acquiring that model, too.
Maybe HLG is not far from delivering their Tsintaosaurus and save us some cash! I think they charge us too with the booklets and (in most of Museum line models), plenty of art posters (which we can also find similar online). Quite astonishing what they have evolved in so little time.

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on December 06, 2023, 01:07:55 AM
Maybe HLG is not far from delivering their Tsintaosaurus and save us some cash! I think they charge us too with the booklets and (in most of Museum line models), plenty of art posters (which we can also find similar online). Quite astonishing what they have evolved in so little time.

But is it desirable that Haolonggood makes a Tsintaosaurus and competes heads on with the model from PNSO? Many people will already have the PNSO model and it is after all a beautiful model if we ignore that the size is on the short end. Other than that I really love this model, not least for the thick neck it has which is so much in line with current ideas. And those people who paid the hefty price for the PNSO model are probably not really inclined to buy now another model of the very same species. This very much restricts the potential customer base to all those who do not have the PNSO model. I think there are so many hadrosaur species that would deserve a good model that Haolonggood has plenty to choose from. And in addition there are still many species from the Iguanodontia that are up for grabs as well.

thomasw100

But I would guess that all the beautiful customs you are getting are not that cheap either? I understand that because these are unique pieces of art one is perhaps inclined to spend more than on a mass produced model. 

Gwangi

But then there are those of us that didn't buy the outrageously priced PNSO Tsintaosaurus and still want one for their collection. I would totally buy a Haolonggood Tsintaosaurus.

thomasw100

Quote from: Gwangi on December 06, 2023, 02:14:08 PMBut then there are those of us that didn't buy the outrageously priced PNSO Tsintaosaurus and still want one for their collection. I would totally buy a Haolonggood Tsintaosaurus.

I understand this, I was just trying to look at this from the perspective of Halolonggood as a company that needs to sell their products well and make enough money to keep going. The Tlatolophus was a very good choice from this perspective as well. It is a recently described species that gave a lot of media vibes, it is decently well preserved including the skull and particularly the crest, it is visually interesting because of that crest and it is a close relative of the Parasaurolophus that many people love.

What would actually be a really good idea would be if they make a set with an adult and a juvenile, this may even be a way to get the Tsintaosaurus selling really well again.

Gwangi

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 06, 2023, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 06, 2023, 02:14:08 PMBut then there are those of us that didn't buy the outrageously priced PNSO Tsintaosaurus and still want one for their collection. I would totally buy a Haolonggood Tsintaosaurus.

I understand this, I was just trying to look at this from the perspective of Halolonggood as a company that needs to sell their products well and make enough money to keep going. The Tlatolophus was a very good choice from this perspective as well. It is a recently described species that gave a lot of media vibes, it is decently well preserved including the skull and particularly the crest, it is visually interesting because of that crest and it is a close relative of the Parasaurolophus that many people love.

What would actually be a really good idea would be if they make a set with an adult and a juvenile, this may even be a way to get the Tsintaosaurus selling really well again.

Well I guess it depends on which there are more of. If most collectors caved and bought PNSO's Tsintaosaurus then it might not behoove HLG to make one. If most collectors skipped PNSO's due to cost then the market is ripe for a cheaper alternative. But yes, there are certainly plenty of high demand and generally ignored genera for HLG to take advantage of. And with figures like their Ouranosaurus, Pentaceratops, and Edmontonia it's clear that they're trying to fill that niche.

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 06, 2023, 02:13:35 PM

But I would guess that all the beautiful customs you are getting are not that cheap either? I understand that because these are unique pieces of art one is perhaps inclined to spend more than on a mass produced model. 
Yes customs are usually way more expensive than mass produced models, but nonetheless I am more willing to support an artist in general than justify a purchase from a company who is for sure milking the idea to charge $60 for a figure that is no different to ones that are in their usual mid-size (more affordable) line.

Concavenator

Sure, the PNSO Tsintaosaurus is overpriced as hell (and its head is proportionally too small), and there may have been people who passed on it due to its price, but I'd rather they tackled other, overdue, hadrosaurids instead, like Maiasaura, Brachylophosaurus or Saurolophus. In addition, we aren't sure what Tsintaosaurus really looked like, and considering hadrosaurids are a group with lots of well-known genera... I think there are better choices.

In any case, the PNSO version is still a good figure and can be bought during a sale for a less ridiculous price tag.

Non-hadrosaurid ornithopods would be welcome too, like Tenontosaurus... or even an Iguanodon that's more accurate than PNSO's.

Sim

I agree with Concavenator, I don't want Haolonggood to make Tsintaosaurus when there are better-understood ornithopods that lack satisfactory representation, such as Corythosaurus.

Quote from: Concavenator on December 06, 2023, 05:03:01 PMor even an Iguanodon that's more accurate than PNSO's.
The 2018 CollectA Iguanodon is excellent and more accurate than PNSO's, I highly recommend it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: