News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: vampiredesign on December 17, 2023, 05:19:57 AMThank you very much for your understanding. In the future, I will discuss optimizing these aspects with the company. A new appetizer has arrived again. I mentioned before that there will be some side dishes before everyone comes.^_^ (Don't worry about sauropod dinosaurs, they will always come.1:35)

Thank you again for clarifying things for us. And it is such a great news that you plan to do all sauropods in 1:35 scale. We certainly appreciate a lot that you are going to make 4 real giants. In addition to this, I would think that smaller sauropod species like the Ampelosaurus would also sell quite well.

Concavenator

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 17, 2023, 09:43:26 AMIn addition to this, I would think that smaller sauropod species like the Ampelosaurus would also sell quite well.

Yeah, some like Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus are very distinctive and would be very welcome.

David96

Quote from: vampiredesign on December 17, 2023, 05:19:57 AM(Don't worry about sauropod dinosaurs, they will always come.1:35)

Alright, you guys earned yourselves a new hardcore fan. I'm gonna buy all Haolonggood products now (at least one specimen per specie)  ;D

ceratopsian

Not such good news for me.  I've just received notification that my Tlatolophus pair suffered an "unsuccessful delivery" yesterday.  I checked my Ring camera and no one came to the door, and clearly it wasn't left with a neighbour.  My suspicion is that the label had fallen off/was illegible or something like that.  I seem to recall an earlier instance where the same thing happened to someone and they weren't able to retrieve their money from the seller....

Concavenator

What do you guys think about the proportions of the Dilophosaurus? Is it me or should the torso be longer and the arms a bit smaller?

Skeletal by TheSynopsis for comparison. The Creative Beast ones perfectly capture its proportions from what I can see, not so sure about the HLG.

Still not sure which one to go for. If they're as accurate as each other, I'd favor the HLG based on scale and price, but to me it looks like the Creative Beast might edge it on accuracy (probably better proportions, lips and it's feathered too, which for Dilophosaurus I prefer). At least with the Creative Beast only 1 figure is included, which I also prefer over the 2 you get when you purchase the HLG.

edu

That's exactly what's holding me from getting the dilopho. That thorax is lacking 2 or 3 cm. It's more evident in the standing one.

Sim

The proportions of the Haolonggood Dilophosaurus look fine to me.  The shorter length of the torso seems to be an illusion caused by the musculature of the leg and the forelimb being pulled back.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, I had an "unsuccessful delivery" for an owl figure from Aliexpress.  It was delivered the next day...  Hopefully the same is true for your order.

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_Sim @Sim.  I think I was panicking too early!  According to Royal Mail, it was sent in error to  Aylesbury rather than my local depot, so it should be winging its way soon.

Quote from: Sim on December 18, 2023, 10:36:05 AMThe proportions of the Haolonggood Dilophosaurus look fine to me.  The shorter length of the torso seems to be an illusion caused by the musculature of the leg and the forelimb being pulled back.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, I had an "unsuccessful delivery" for an owl figure from Aliexpress.  It was delivered the next day...  Hopefully the same is true for your order.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim I'm not convinced. I found this lateral view (bottom) and the torso definitely looks too short to me:

Other than that, the arms appear to be a tad too big as well. It looks like the HLG Dilophosaurus correctly incorporated the idea of the 2020 paper concerning its crests, but neglected the proportions of the animal. I think I'll be going for the BotM after all, its proportions closely resemble those seen in current skeletals, plus it's lipped and feathered too.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Concavenator on December 18, 2023, 11:03:53 AMavatar_Sim @Sim I'm not convinced. I found this lateral view (bottom) and the torso definitely looks too short to me:

Other than that, the arms appear to be a tad too big as well. It looks like the HLG Dilophosaurus correctly incorporated the idea of the 2020 paper concerning its crests, but neglected the proportions of the animal. I think I'll be going for the BotM after all, its proportions closely resemble those seen in current skeletals, plus it's lipped and feathered too.

idk man i reaaally dont see it, esp the arms seem nitpicky considering we only have 5 skeletons of it. i wouldnt pay prob 3 times more for botm on smth noone in their right mind would question, considering esp the tail plastic on these is so wanky, my rex instantly ripped despite following the manual, for around 90 that should not happen.

Concavenator

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on December 18, 2023, 11:10:08 AMconsidering we only have 5 skeletons of it.

"Only"? How are 5 skeletons few?  ;D Bear in mind many of dinosaur taxa are either known from a single specimen, fragmentary ones, or both. So to have 5 well-preserved specimens is indeed rare. Anyways, the number of specimens doesn't really matter, but the quality of the individual ones. For example, Carnotaurus is known from a single specimen, but we have a pretty good idea of what it looked like.

As for the HLG vs BotM Dilos, comparing that lateral view to the skeletal I previously posted, I think it can be clearly seem the torso is depicted as being too short. I still think the arms might be a bit oversized, but it's not as noticeable as the torso length issue I'd say.

It's true the BotM will be noticeable more expensive than the HLG, but I think in this case it'll be worth it, considering what it has to offer relative to the HLG. Dilophosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs too, so I don't mind the extra investment. I also don't like that 2 figures are included with the HLG, I only collect 1 figure / genus and I'm very hard-nosed on that. If I got the HLG I'd only have 1 of the Dilos on display, so while the purchase would overall be cheaper, 50 % of the money would be put towards a figure I'd have in storage...

This is not to demerit the HLG Dilophosaurus though. It may not be perfect, but it's still a clear improvement over their earlier theropods like the Allosaurus. And it looks like their theropods keep improving.

Faelrin

The current price or MSRP of the Dilophosaurus pair on Amazon (for example) is $42.99. The Cyberzoic one is currently up for pre-order at $59.99 (even cheaper for kickstarter backers at $55) with full MSRP at $64.99. It is more expensive, but only $22 for the full MSRP (or less if one pre-orders before it ships out early 2025). Of course this doesn't include shipping, and granted the Haolonggood Dilophosaurus pair can probably be bought for cheaper on Aliexpress (atm on it is on sale for $24.95 from My Online Toy Store for example), but it's not like a substantial difference (unless comparing the Aliexpress sale prices).

I do think the Cyberzoic one is more accurate, but it is also 1/18 scale, has articulation and is only one figure compared to Haolonggood's pair, which will either be pro's or con's to folks here. I don't think there's an issue if one prefers either or. There aren't a whole lot of options for this animal post the 2020 paper with the updated crests, etc, or just don't have broken wrists, shrinkwrapped, or are the JP design.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duna

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 18, 2023, 08:20:13 AMNot such good news for me.  I've just received notification that my Tlatolophus pair suffered an "unsuccessful delivery" yesterday.  I checked my Ring camera and no one came to the door, and clearly it wasn't left with a neighbour.  My suspicion is that the label had fallen off/was illegible or something like that.  I seem to recall an earlier instance where the same thing happened to someone and they weren't able to retrieve their money from the seller....
My Apatosaurus couldn't be delivered to me and the seller refunded 100% of it. Then i decided to buy other figures, but eventually I'll buy the Apatosaurus.

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_Duna @Duna!

Quote from: Duna on December 18, 2023, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 18, 2023, 08:20:13 AMNot such good news for me.  I've just received notification that my Tlatolophus pair suffered an "unsuccessful delivery" yesterday.  I checked my Ring camera and no one came to the door, and clearly it wasn't left with a neighbour.  My suspicion is that the label had fallen off/was illegible or something like that.  I seem to recall an earlier instance where the same thing happened to someone and they weren't able to retrieve their money from the seller....
My Apatosaurus couldn't be delivered to me and the seller refunded 100% of it. Then i decided to buy other figures, but eventually I'll buy the Apatosaurus.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Faelrin on December 18, 2023, 02:33:07 PMThe current price or MSRP of the Dilophosaurus pair on Amazon (for example) is $42.99. .......

???
 The Dilophosaurus pair is $27.99 (shipping included) at LanaTime.

Faelrin

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian Yeah it's also about that price at My Online Toy Store atm. No idea why it is so much more on Amazon unless it is because of being hosted there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out the proportions myself, based on my own in-hand figures. So far as I can tell, the torso length is closer to accurate than it initially looks, but is still almost 1/5 short. The depth of the belly and size of the skull (which is slightly large) throw the perceptions off worse than it is, though.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

To be honest if I had to guess I'd imagine that the torso shortening was only to help with balance.

Fembrogon

I suspect that might be the case too, avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo. A lot of details about this figure seem VERY close to concurrent skeletals, enough so that I suspect any deviations were aesthetically deliberate rather than poorly researched.

cryolophosaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: