News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 19, 2023, 01:08:39 AM

They look better than the concept picture! It seems they scaled up those osteoderms, similar to PNSOs Samuel (But better) Can't wait to see the final coloured pictures  :))

Blade-of-the-Moon

SidB

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

darth daniel

I´m really keen on preordering the Alamosaurus and think I prefer colour scheme B over A, but the teased paint sample of variant B looked better than the digital paint concept so the same may be possible for variant A, therefore seeing a paint sample of variant A would be really helpful in making the decision.

ceratopsian

My quandary exactly!

Quote from: darth daniel on December 19, 2023, 10:29:13 AMI´m really keen on preordering the Alamosaurus and think I prefer colour scheme B over A, but the teased paint sample of variant B looked better than the digital paint concept so the same may be possible for variant A, therefore seeing a paint sample of variant A would be really helpful in making the decision.

thomasw100

This could be named The March of the Titanosaurs. Honestly, if I see this picture I feel like ordering a whole herd of them and getting them all painted individually. But then there will be the three other large species later this year which need some space as well. Actually another picture has also appeared now on the Paleofiguras Facebook account:

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really hope we see a paint sample of A before long. I was leaning heavily toward it originally.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 19, 2023, 05:02:36 PMI really hope we see a paint sample of A before long. I was leaning heavily toward it originally.
Same here. Im going to name it Babe after Babe the big blue Ox from American folklore. Seems fitting for a big blue titan.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 19, 2023, 06:21:49 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 19, 2023, 05:02:36 PMI really hope we see a paint sample of A before long. I was leaning heavily toward it originally.
Same here. Im going to name it Babe after Babe the big blue Ox from American folklore. Seems fitting for a big blue titan.

You need a red and black Rex with feathers on it's chin to go with it..name it Paul. lol  ;D

It might be a decent stand in for Dreadnoughtus for JW fans too.

Concavenator

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon thank you for your measurements. I mean, de visu I was confident the torso was too short, even though I obviously couldn't quantify how much. I'm surprised it's "only" close to a 20 % shorter, to me, without any measurements, it looked somewhere between a 40 % and a 60 % too short. And I say "only" because even if the torso is not as short as previously thought, if it's something like a 18 %, it's still fairly off. For context, the so-called bobblehead PNSO Corythosaurus has a head that's oversized by an about 5 % (according to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ).

If stability played any part, I'd rather the figure had been made a tripod and rigorously respected the animal's proportions than it being made a biped with more inaccurate proportions (which is a shame because Dilophosaurus has pretty unique proportions). The Safari Coelophysis is a good example of a natural-looking tripod. But even better, it could have come with a support rod and so there would have been no need for such an accuracy compromise. Funnily enough, the Creative Beast one looks like it rigorously respects Dilophosaurus' proportions and it comes with a support rod...  ::)

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has now listed the final dimensions of the Haolonggood Alamosaurus:

Alamosaurus Size: 21.6" L (550MM) X 3.9" W (100MM) X 14.1" H (360MM), Curve length 77 cm / 30.3 inches
Alamosaurus Weight: 2 KG / 4.4 lb

The 77 cm curve length would conform to a 27 meter sized individual in 1:35 scale. The Eofauna sauropod book lists an estimate of 26 m for Alamosaurus sanjuanensis.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Concavenator on December 20, 2023, 12:03:54 AMavatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon thank you for your measurements. I mean, de visu I was confident the torso was too short, even though I obviously couldn't quantify how much. I'm surprised it's "only" close to a 20 % shorter, to me, without any measurements, it looked somewhere between a 40 % and a 60 % too short. And I say "only" because even if the torso is not as short as previously thought, if it's something like a 18 %, it's still fairly off. For context, the so-called bobblehead PNSO Corythosaurus has a head that's oversized by an about 5 % (according to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ).

If stability played any part, I'd rather the figure had been made a tripod and rigorously respected the animal's proportions than it being made a biped with more inaccurate proportions (which is a shame because Dilophosaurus has pretty unique proportions). The Safari Coelophysis is a good example of a natural-looking tripod. But even better, it could have come with a support rod and so there would have been no need for such an accuracy compromise. Funnily enough, the Creative Beast one looks like it rigorously respects Dilophosaurus' proportions and it comes with a support rod...  ::)

I don't understand the Roll Eyes emoji. Reading your post it seems as if you've found your perfect Dilophosaurus, fulfilling all your needs. You should be glad instead :) .

Concavenator

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 20, 2023, 06:46:59 AMI don't understand the Roll Eyes emoji. Reading your post it seems as if you've found your perfect Dilophosaurus, fulfilling all your needs. You should be glad instead :) .

That was to say that HLG could have included a support rod with their Dilophosaurus and that could have enabled them to depict it with a properly long torso, which is just what Creative Beast has done:

I do think the Creative Beast Dilophosaurus is spot on and of course I'm glad it is a thing, but I don't usually go for Creative Beast stuff mainly because of the 1:18 scale (unless for small species). So for me they're usually a "last-resource" sort of thing. If someone releases a Dilophosaurus comparable in accuracy to the Creative Beast and in a smaller scale, I would then skip the Creative Beast (this is also why I no longer plan to get the BotM Utahraptor as I was originally planning to seeing as Safari has made theirs). I could get the HLG if it had a longer torso, even ignoring that it's lipless and scaly (even if this last aspect is just a personal preference), but that proportion issue is bugging me a bit, so I don't think I'll get it. The accurate proportions on the Creative Beast, plus lips and feathers, and also that you get just 1 figure make me favor the latter even though Creative Beast is not what I usually collect. If HLG updates the Dilophosaurus (like they did with the Ouranosaurus) to have an accurately long torso, I'd get it. But I'm not holding my breath because that surely is an expensive process.

Also, I remind you that there's no problem with people pointing out the scientific inaccuracies in a purportedly scientifically accurate figure which is a Haolonggood figure. Not that there's no problem, we're totally in our own right. If we were discussing scientific inaccuracies on something like a Mattel figure, that would be out of place, but that's not the case here at all. And this is not negativity, it's constructive criticism. I can point out the inaccuracies in a HLG figure (just as I do for other companies) and I've also expressed several times already that all the work HLG has done is commendable and I also highlight their positive aspects. Especially because Haolonggood listens to their customers so much is that I think constructive criticism is particularly welcome in this case, since our feedback actually have the chance of being listened to and not outright ignored, which is usually the case for other companies. That's another strong point of Haolonggood.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Houston, copy,  we have a new Ceratopsian
Kosmoceratops! [The link is back]
P.S. The black one reminds me of PNSO's mini Kosmoceratops. It has been a long way since their Nasutoceratops.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the eyes much better on this one.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2023, 05:45:14 AM

YES!!! A Kosmoceratops figure! That red one looks so good in the promo images they posted.

EmperorDinobot

Alright, that'll be my first Haolonggood figure, and I claim it for reviewing!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2023, 05:45:14 AM

I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of this one. Something about the head and paint job just throws me off

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: