News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New DTF banner

Started by Sim, December 10, 2023, 07:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I think it's a good time to decide on a new banner for the forum, as has been done almost every year.  Since some companies don't reveal figures until they're about ready to be bought, I think 2023 and 2024 figures can both go in the new banner.  There are 14 figures in the current forum banner, so maybe a similar number of new figures can be decided on.  I'll start with the figures I'd like to see in the banner:

1. Safari Utahraptor
2. Safari Therizinosaurus or Stegouros
3. CollectA Dearc
4. CollectA Nanuqsaurus
5. CollectA Dreadnoughtus
6. Papo Suchomimus
7. Schleich Stegosaurus
8. PNSO Gorgosaurus or Megalosaurus
9. PNSO Saurophaganax or Yangchuanosaurus magnus
10. PNSO Zuul
11. Haolonggood Apatosaurus
12. Beasts of the Mesozoic Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus or Tarbosaurus

What figures would you like to have in the new banner?

BlueKrono

CollectA Koolasuchus.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on December 10, 2023, 07:22:22 PMI think it's a good time to decide on a new banner for the forum, as has been done almost every year.  Since some companies don't reveal figures until they're about ready to be bought, I think 2023 and 2024 figures can both go in the new banner.  There are 14 figures in the current forum banner, so maybe a similar number of new figures can be decided on.  I'll start with the figures I'd like to see in the banner:

1. Safari Utahraptor
2. Safari Therizinosaurus or Stegouros
3. CollectA Dearc
4. CollectA Nanuqsaurus
5. CollectA Dreadnoughtus
6. Papo Suchomimus
7. Schleich Stegosaurus
8. PNSO Gorgosaurus or Megalosaurus
9. PNSO Saurophaganax or Yangchuanosaurus magnus
10. PNSO Zuul
11. Haolonggood Apatosaurus
12. Beasts of the Mesozoic Gorgosaurus, Albertosaurus or Tarbosaurus

What figures would you like to have in the new banner?

I would say that Haolonggood would deserve a better representation than just by one model, given how many nice models they have released in 2023. The Dilophosaurus should definitely be in there. For PNSO I could think of the Alamosaurus as this model really looks pretty nice.

Over9K

Since we do a Best Of The Year poll, wouldn't it make sense to have that first, then make the new banner, so like the top three for 2023 can be in the 2024 banner?

I thought it was a little odd that our vote for the best figure of '22 wasn't in the banner for '23...

Concavenator

If I were to pick 14 figures:

1. CollectA Mosasaurus - a mosasaur.
2. CollectA Koolasuchus - an amphibian.
3. CollectA Dearc - a pterosaur.
4. Safari Estemmenosuchus - a synapsid.
5.  TNG Smilodon - a mammal.
6. Haolonggood Apatosaurus - a sauropodomorph.
7. Ancestors / Haolongood Tlatolophus - an ornithopod.
8. Kaiyodo Zuul - an ankylosaur.
9. Wild Past Chasmosaurus / Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus - a ceratopsid.
10. Wild Past Majungasaurus - a ceratosaur.
11. PNSO Megalosaurus - a megalosauroid.
12. Cyberzoic Allosaurus - an allosauroid.
13. Eofauna Tyrannosaurus - a tyrannosauroid.
14. Safari Utahraptor - a deinonychosaur.

I attempted to do a diverse list, both phylogenetically and company-wise.

More importantly though, I just want to see Eofauna, Wild Past and Haolonggood represented in the banner. It annoys me than none of them have made it into any of the banners yet.

Sim

That's a nice list avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator!  I had completely forgotten about Wild Past when I went through the companies in my head!  I think I won't forget about them again after they release some figures I very much want!  Wild Past's Scutosaurus is in the current banner, but I too would like them to be in the new banner.  I don't know when Wild Past will show painted versions of their upcoming figures though, besides Majungasaurus...

Eofauna I think had its Atlasaurus or one of their elephants in the banner at some point, but I too would like to see them in the new banner.  Haolonggood I would like represented in the banner very much!  They are just so good.  And they've never been in the forum banner before.

Faelrin

I agree with avatar_Over9K @Over9K. I think that would be a good idea to wait for the poll to have some of those winners on the new banner.

Hopefully these will help folks on deciding what to add:

https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Year=2024
https://dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Year=2023

Worth mentioning I'm still behind on adding some 2023 Schleich, plus the 2024 figures, some 2023 Takara Tomy stuff, the Haolonggood Alamosaurus trio, and some of the new listings for the 2024 stuff (which I'm waiting for official images to drop before adding them). There's also the upcoming Nanmu articulated JPIII raptors which might release this year or early next year. Hopefully that's all I've been behind on for these two years (aside from upcoming stuff anyways).

My personal picks at the moment (subject to change):

2024 CollectA Placerias or Diprotodon
2024 Creative Beast Studio Cyberzoic Allosaurus or Smilodon
2024 EoFauna Tyrannosaurus
2024 Mattel Hammond Collection Carnotaurus, Eoraptor, Kaprosuchus, or Poposaurus
2023 CollectA Koolasuchus
2023 Creative Beast Studio BotM Gorgosaurus or Bistahieversor
2023 Haolonggood Apatosaurus, Edmontonia, Nasutoceratops, Ouranosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, and/or Tlatolophus
2023 Mattel Hammond Collection Brachiosaurus
2023 PNSO Alamosaurus, Meraxes, Saurophaganax, or Zuul
2023 Safari Ltd Estemmenosuchus, Stegouros, or Utahraptor

Basically I think a mix of companies, and 2023 and 2024 stuff would be nice yeah, especially with some of the 2023 poll winners.

Edit: Would be great to have anything from Wild Past as well, especially from their upcoming kickstarter if successful.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I'm happy with the BotM Bistahieversor making it into the banner if none of the other tyrannosauroids I listed makes it!

Faelrin

I forgot to add the BotM Yutyrannus and Proceratosaurus as possible options too. Can't get over how beautiful they are in person. Those other other two are high on my wishlist hence why I listed them. Alternatively to the BotM Gorgosaurus, I would also be fine with the PNSO one up there. I love both so much, and hope I can get them sometime next year.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

I think the Halonggood Megaraptor and the Hammond Collection Carnotaurus deserve a spot. The Megaraptor especially due to it being the first GREAT megaraptoran toy.

Sim

Regarding waiting for the top 10 poll to be done, we could do that but I don't think it's necessary as avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum chose some of the figures in the current banner from earlier years as long as they would fit well in the banner.  I imagine he'll do that again for a new banner if he makes it.  None of the top 10 of 2022 made it into the banner actually:

Quote1st place (53 votes): PNSO Deinocheirus

2nd place (47 votes): EoFauna Diplodocus

3rd place (33 votes): PNSO Therizinosaurus

4th place (32 votes): PNSO Suchomimus

5th place (tie, 29 votes each): EoFauna Konobelodon & Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"

7th place (26 votes): PNSO Acrocanthosaurus

8th place (23 votes): PNSO Torosaurus

9th place (22 votes): PNSO Lingwulong

10th place (tie, 20 votes each): PNSO Tsintaosaurus & Safari Ltd Albertosaurus

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Oh I hadn't realised the Wild Past Scutosaurus appears on the current banner. Now that I think about it, perhaps it'd be safer not to add any of the upcoming Wild Past Kickstarter figures, simply because, as I understand it, their release depends on the success of the campaign. So it'd be more sensible to wait, and it's likely folks will like a new banner set up by the time that campaign takes place and (successfully) finishes. DinoToyCollector said in case the campaign fails (let's avoid this) he'd still plan to go ahead with the figures but that could take a long, long while. However, the Majungasaurus could be added I think. There's a pic of it on Wild Past's site already, even though it isn't fully shown. It could still be added, like the Papo Giganotosaurus in the 2020 banner (see below):

I'm pretty sure Eofauna have never made it into the list. The banner prior to this one was set in 2020, and IIRC that update came after YEARS and YEARS (like, 10 years?). Eofauna released their first figure in 2017, and considering they were excluded from the 2020 and the current (2023) banners, they've never been featured in one of these banners. About time that is fixed... Same goes for Haolonggood, and just like Eofauna, they've never made it into a banner. They very much deserve it as well.

It's very odd none of the figures from last year's Top 10 made it into the list. Especially considering how there was one figure recycled from the previous banner (CollectA's Redlichia).

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin The BotM Yutyrannus is another one I would be happy to see featured. Amazing figure (and species!).

Fembrogon

Hmmmm... I'd suggest any of these as candidates, I think:

from Safari Ltd -
  • Utahraptor
  • Estemmenosuchus
  • Stegouros

from Collecta -
  • Koolasuchus
  • Dreadnoughtus
  • Dearc
  • Mosasaurus
  • Placerias

from Haolonggood -
  • Ouranosaurus
  • Edmontonia
  • Dilophosaurus
  • Megaraptor

from PNSO -
  • Meraxes
  • Alamosaurus
  • Saurophaganax

from Creative Beast -
  • Qianzhousaurus
  • Dryptosaurus
  • Smilodon 1/18

from Schleic-*SNORT* (sorry)

from other brands -
  • Papo Mosasaurus
  • Mattel Borealopelta
  • ToyMonster Compsognathus
  • Kaiyodo Zuul

Eatmycar

Mattel's Carnotaurus at the very least belongs up here. The Ekrixinatosaurus as well, and any of the later 2023 mid-size Hammond Collection figures too. (Subjective) accuracy isn't the only thing that should dictate whether a figure belongs up here.

suspsy

Obviously the Eofauna Tyrannosaurus rex belongs on a 2024 banner. Haolonggood Alamosaurus is an actual 2024 product, making it a much better candidate than the Apatosaurus. And there needs to be Mattel representation as well.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

I agree that a banner would need Mattel representation. Something like the HC Carnotaurus would be nice but it could also be one of a number of obscure animals, for the sake of diversity. Something like the Poposaurus would be nice.

Sim

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, would a new banner be possible?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on January 10, 2024, 06:46:05 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, would a new banner be possible?

Yep.  I'll need to put a couple of hours aside to do it. :)

EmperorDinobot

Now's the time!

Safari Therizinosaurus should be in it, that's my only suggestion, oh and Megalosaurus from JW.

Eatmycar

Really baffled that the Mattel Carnotaurus or Metriacanthosaurus aren't nominations frankly. Those are gorgeous figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: