News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New DTF banner

Started by Sim, December 10, 2023, 07:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Eatmycar on January 10, 2024, 09:25:11 PMReally baffled that the Mattel Carnotaurus or Metriacanthosaurus aren't nominations frankly. Those are gorgeous figures.

I suggested the Carnotaurus or something more obscure like the Poposaurus a few posts up.

Primeval12

I'd like to suggest a few.

PNSO Saurophagynax
Hammond Collection Carnotaurus
Safari Estemmnosuchus
BOtM Guanlong (naturally)
Haolonggood Megaraptor
Mattel Poposaurus

Faelrin

E @Eatmycar You, avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12 avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi and myself all did suggest it.

In fact here's the ranking of each figure suggested (3 or more). I've only counted the initial time someone included it in their list:

Mattel JW HC Carnotaurus 4 votes
PNSO Saurophaganax 4 votes
Safari Estemmenosuchus 4 votes
Safari Utahraptor 4 votes
CollectA Dearc 3 votes
CollectA Koolasuchus 3 votes
Eofauna Tyrannosaurus 3 votes
Haolonggood Apatosaurus 3 votes
Mattel JW Poposaurus 3 votes
PNSO Alamosaurus 3 votes
Safari Stegouros 3 votes

Everything with 2 or 1:

Spoiler
CollectA Diprotodon
CollectA Dreadnoughtus 2 votes
CollectA Mosasaurus 2 votes
CollectA Nanuqsaurus
CollectA Placerias 2 votes
Captivz Compsognathus
Creative Beast BotM Albertosaurus
Creative Beast BotM Bistahieversor 2 votes
Creative Beast BotM Dryptosaurus
Creative Beast BotM Guanlong
Creative Beast BotM Gorgosaurus 2 votes
Creative Beast BotM Proceratosaurus
Creative Beast BotM Qianzhousaurus
Creative Beast BotM Tarbosaurus
Creative Beast BotM Yutyrannus 2 votes
Creative Beast Cyberzoic Allosaurus 2 votes
Creative Beast Cyberzoic Smilodon 2 votes (well Fembrogon wants the 1/18 scale one but it's not finished yet)
Haolonggood Alamosaurus
Haolonggood Dilophosaurus 2 votes
Haolonggood Edmontonia 2 votes
Haolonggood Megaraptor 2 votes
Haolonggood Ouranosaurus 2 votes
Haolonggood Nasutoceratops
Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus
Haolonggood (or Ancestors) Tlatolophus 2 votes
Kaiyodo Zuul 2 votes
Mattel JW HC Brachiosaurus
Mattel JW HC Metriacanthosaurus
Mattel JW Borealopelta
Mattel JW Eoraptor (vs Stegouros)
Mattel JW Ekrixinatosaurus
Mattel JW Megalosaurus
Mattel JW Kaprosuchus
Papo Mosasaurus
Papo Suchomimus
PNSO Gorgosaurus
PNSO Megalosaurus 2 votes
PNSO Meraxes 2 votes
PNSO Yangchuanosaurus magnus
PNSO Zuul 2 votes
Safari Therizinosaurus 2 votes
Schleich Stegosaurus
TNG Smilodon
Wild Past Chasmosaurus
Wild Past Majungasaurus
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

EmperorDinobot

i feel like poposaurus islast year though.

Faelrin

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot Technically part of their 2024 lineup, even if it did release in some areas early (as is the HC Carnotaurus) a few months ago at most. That said, it hasn't widely been released yet as far as I'm aware, though that also depends on the retailers willingness to carry the assortment that has it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Faelrin on January 11, 2024, 12:14:49 AMavatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot Technically part of their 2024 lineup, even if it did release in some areas early (as is the HC Carnotaurus) a few months ago at most. That said, it hasn't widely been released yet as far as I'm aware, though that also depends on the retailers willingness to carry the assortment that has it.

ah yes. i keep seeing popo but i never seem to be able to grab it. i didn't work very much near the end of last year and i ate the piggybank to get the transformer two packs at walmart as well as gifts huehuehue but i'll find it again soon

Sim

Dear avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, will we see a new banner soon? O:-)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on January 27, 2024, 07:51:39 PMDear avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, will we see a new banner soon? O:-)

When did I last update the banner?

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 27, 2024, 10:47:27 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 27, 2024, 07:51:39 PMDear avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, will we see a new banner soon? O:-)

Must have been last year, it has 2023 figures on it.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on January 27, 2024, 11:36:06 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 27, 2024, 10:47:27 PM

Must have been last year, it has 2023 figures on it.

Yeah, I feel like I did it well into the year though, I want to give it 12 months.

Sim

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, the current version of this forum's banner which had the Cryolophosaurus replace the Stygimoloch that was originally in it was uploaded on February 17 2023 I think: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10701.20

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on January 28, 2024, 12:10:59 AMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum, the current version of this forum's banner which had the Cryolophosaurus replace the Stygimoloch that was originally in it was uploaded on February 17 2023 I think: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10701.20

Super, thanks for digging that out. I'll aim to replace the banner next month then. :)

Halichoeres

Unpopular opinion: the contents of the banner should be determined by admin fiat, and not by user-submitted lists.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 28, 2024, 01:10:30 PMUnpopular opinion: the contents of the banner should be determined by admin fiat, and not by user-submitted lists.

Unpopular opinion: The banner doesn't need to be changed every year.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on January 28, 2024, 01:14:11 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 28, 2024, 01:10:30 PMUnpopular opinion: the contents of the banner should be determined by admin fiat, and not by user-submitted lists.

Unpopular opinion: The banner doesn't need to be changed every year.

That too!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ikessauro

I don't see why it would be a problem to have members participate in the banner production. If I recall correctly, we started that tradition around 2008, when DinoToyForum asked what we though about changing the forum's logo. I myself had a lot of fun designing the banner back then, I think one or two of my creations were used for a year or so, and as time went on, more people got interested in helping, which is a fun way to keep the forum fresh.

Also don't see why not change the banner every year. It impacts little in user experience and to the extent it does impact, it is in a positive manner. A banner with newly released figures show a live forum with active staff members caring for the place.

If I had to offer an opinion on the banner, would be that it shouldn't repeat figures, like it does now. Looks a bit lazy when you make half a banner, copies and pastes it to increase the length. Also this repetition takes space you could use to add other figures deserving of being there. Another nitpick of mine is that I think no figure should be "cut" in the banner ends like it is now. Just my two cents.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 28, 2024, 03:29:13 PMIf I had to offer an opinion on the banner, would be that it shouldn't repeat figures, like it does now. Looks a bit lazy when you make half a banner, copies and pastes it to increase the length. Also this repetition takes space you could use to add other figures deserving of being there. Another nitpick of mine is that I think no figure should be "cut" in the banner ends like it is now. Just my two cents.

That's all a functional compromise due to the website being responsive to mobiles as well as ipads and large monitors. If you think about it, most websites don't have banners at the top any more, and this is the reason. A single self contained banner image would have to work equally well on a mobile and a large monitor, which isn't really possible. I just about get away with it on the DinoToyBlog because the blog itself is set to a maximum width, so on large monitors the sides are just red space. The forum is much wider. So, the dinosaurs in the banner repeat to fill the screen width, which will be different for everybody, extremely wide for some people. I could make a background wide enough to fit even the largest screen, but the vast majority of visitors would never see the figures on the far right side, and larger image files take longer to load, slowing the forum. I could make a self-contained banner wide enough to fit even the largest screen, but then it would look ridiculous on small screens.

This resizing also means the background inevitable gets chopped off from the right side. In a browser, manually resize the window and you'll see what I mean. I manually chopped off the left side so it looks balanced.

I think, because most people tend to preferentially use one device to access the forum, it's easy to forget that other visitors may see it completely differently.

One solution is a much narrower banner with fewer larger dinosaur images, but I tried that once and people didn't like it, they enjoyed the variety!

Concavenator

I'm not the only one who would appreciate a new banner. The 2020 one lasted until 2023, that's some good 3 years. Not to mention the 2020 banner replaced a banner that was there for about 10 years, I'm not exaggerating. Adding a new banner feels like a breath of fresh air and adds a little bit of dynamism. Changing it once a year is fine I think. Otherwise, it can get a bit monotonous.

If I knew how to use PhotoShop, I'd suggest a banner.

I'd prefer if we members could vote which figures we would like to see on the banner. But if we can't, at least I hope the admin fiat tries their best to produce a banner that represents both the most diverse range of companies possible (and please, have some overdue companies represented  ::)) and that's as phylogenetically diverse as possible (so there would be something for everyone).

If we don't have it changed now, I'd say it would make more sense to wait a few months, perhaps until June/July, so there would be a representative quantity of 2024 figures to choose from. If we have a new banner up soon, there would inevitably be 2023 figures there, which is not a problem, but for a banner that gets uploaded in 2024, it would be preferable to have a for bigger amount of 2024 figures there than ones from previous years I think. And, except CollectA, we no longer get to know a company's set of releases for a given year at a given time, instead with the individual releases being announced throughout the year at different times. So waiting until June or July would be a good time to have a new banner up in my opinion.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on January 28, 2024, 08:09:42 PMNot to mention the 2020 banner replaced a banner that was there for about 10 years, I'm not exaggerating.

Well... https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1159.msg28714#msg28714

Concavenator

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 28, 2024, 10:30:21 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 28, 2024, 08:09:42 PMNot to mention the 2020 banner replaced a banner that was there for about 10 years, I'm not exaggerating.

Well... https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1159.msg28714#msg28714

Oops... Turns out I was exaggerating, after all!  ;D

Not sure why I had that thought. I guess I wasn't paying much attention to pre-2020 banners. That said, seeing those now, I remember several of them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: