News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2024 - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Bread, January 04, 2024, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Conca or Neo would certainly be more unique choices but they would be a bit too small to make from what I understand

Sim

I hadn't thought about the respective sizes, other than Tyrannotitan being almost identical to the three other giganotosaurins in that regard too.  Neovenator I think would end up the same size as PNSO's Megalosaurus in 1:35 scale, while Concavenator would be smaller...  I guess PNSO could always make Concavenator or both in a bigger scale, PNSO's Mapusaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus are in 1:30 scale after all...

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Sim on February 09, 2024, 08:40:27 PMI hadn't thought about the respective sizes, other than Tyrannotitan being almost identical to the three other giganotosaurins in that regard too.  Neovenator I think would end up the same size as PNSO's Megalosaurus in 1:35 scale, while Concavenator would be smaller...  I guess PNSO could always make Concavenator or both in a bigger scale, PNSO's Mapusaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus are in 1:30 scale after all...

Actually from what I can tell Neovenator is the same size if not even smaller than conca.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Primeval12

I know we're all sick of theropods but I'd really like a Cryolophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and a Maip. Also BRING BACK THE MINIS!

Sim

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 09, 2024, 08:41:03 PMActually from what I can tell Neovenator is the same size if not even smaller than conca.
Wikipedia says Neovenator is around 7m while Concavenator is around 5-6m.  The Theropod Database estimates Neovenator's holotype to be 7.5m and I don't recall ever seeing Concavenator estimated at longer than 6m.

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 09, 2024, 08:41:42 PMAlso iirc mapu is 1:35 not 1:30
Dinosdragons says it's 1:35 scale in his review of the figure, but avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres says it's 1:30 in his collection thread.  I just did a quick calculation and got 1:33 as its scale.  I've read that Mapusaurus is slightly smaller than Giganotosaurus, but the reverse is true in PNSO 2023 figures of these two animals, so I think one isn't in 1:35 scale.

Halichoeres

A Tyrannotitan is literally the second most boring thing they could make, aside from another rex. One of those Ediacaran seafloor loogies would be a better choice.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

I love those Ediacaran loogies, and now it makes me wish they would do a set of those (although Paleozoo did a good set of them last year). Or even the Cambrian Chengjiang biota.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

John

Quote from: Primeval12 on February 09, 2024, 09:00:24 PMI know we're all sick of theropods but I'd really like a Cryolophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and a Maip. Also BRING BACK THE MINIS!
I don't think anyone is truly sick of theropods.The vast majority of complaints were from those that agree with the newest Cullen et al. paper about theropod extra oral tissue.They just want to see theropods depicted with "lips".Look how well the 2 Yangchuanosaurus and the Saurophaganax models were received.I'm sure no one would have a problem with any of the three theropods you suggest for them to make either.I know I would like to see Ceratosaurus turn up from PNSO.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

thomasw100

Quote from: John on February 10, 2024, 08:39:19 AMI don't think anyone is truly sick of theropods.The vast majority of complaints were from those that agree with the newest Cullen et al. paper about theropod extra oral tissue.They just want to see theropods depicted with "lips".Look how well the 2 Yangchuanosaurus and the Saurophaganax models were received.I'm sure no one would have a problem with any of the three theropods you suggest for them to make either.I know I would like to see Ceratosaurus turn up from PNSO.

Actually I think that many people were tired of PNSO releasing theropods only, not theropods as such. Now that PNSO has been releasing a good mix of theropods and herbivores, many people would be OK with some theropods again I think. Yet I personally hope that PNSO will still catch up a bit with herbivores for a while. A new ceratopsian for example is more than overdue.

And it remains to be seen how PNSO will react to Haolonggood releasing all these large sauropods which appear to sell very well. Is this going to motivate them to also release a few large sauropods or will they leave this business opportunity to Haolonggood? Would they technically actually be able to produce large sauropod models at the quality level of their other figures?

John

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 10, 2024, 09:05:18 AM
Quote from: John on February 10, 2024, 08:39:19 AMI don't think anyone is truly sick of theropods.The vast majority of complaints were from those that agree with the newest Cullen et al. paper about theropod extra oral tissue.They just want to see theropods depicted with "lips".Look how well the 2 Yangchuanosaurus and the Saurophaganax models were received.I'm sure no one would have a problem with any of the three theropods you suggest for them to make either.I know I would like to see Ceratosaurus turn up from PNSO.

Actually I think that many people were tired of PNSO releasing theropods only, not theropods as such. Now that PNSO has been releasing a good mix of theropods and herbivores, many people would be OK with some theropods again I think. Yet I personally hope that PNSO will still catch up a bit with herbivores for a while. A new ceratopsian for example is more than overdue.

And it remains to be seen how PNSO will react to Haolonggood releasing all these large sauropods which appear to sell very well. Is this going to motivate them to also release a few large sauropods or will they leave this business opportunity to Haolonggood? Would they technically actually be able to produce large sauropod models at the quality level of their other figures?
I can't even guess how PNSO will react to Haolonggood's releases,but I will say that the presence of both lines is a very good thing.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on February 10, 2024, 12:48:16 AMI love those Ediacaran loogies, and now it makes me wish they would do a set of those (although Paleozoo did a good set of them last year). Or even the Cambrian Chengjiang biota.

Some of them are quite elegant loogies, to be fair.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: John on February 10, 2024, 08:39:19 AMI'm sure no one would have a problem with any of the three theropods you suggest for them to make either.I know I would like to see Ceratosaurus turn up from PNSO.
I'm fine with Ceratosaurus being made, but I don't get people's desire for Maip.  Its appearance is unknown so I don't see a point in making it.  As for Cryolophosaurus, I'm afraid of how PNSO would make it, specifically if it's not "fully" feathered or fully scaly.

Faelrin

Now that I'm thinking of it, I really hope PNSO does a Baryonyx to complete their trio of famous spinosaurids. I mean I have the Safari one, but I'd love to see their take on it. I'd also be curious to see them remake their Amargasaurus with the full sail, and if they ever return to minis, I'd love a Kulindadromeus and Zhenyuanlong the most. Both I've been longing for several years now. Any other small dinosaurs like Caihong, Serikornis, Wulong, etc would be much welcome. Some of my favorite PNSO figures are specifically of the small dinosaurs no one else makes figures of (or seldomly) such as the Anchiornis, Sinosauropteryx, Tianyulong (behind on getting, but still), Yi, etc.

Chasmosaurus belli would also be nice to see, especially since the Wild Past adult and baby set is up in the air atm, and would complete their trio of famous Dinosaur Park ceratopsians after the Centrosaurus and Styracosaurus. But like the Wild Past set, I'd prefer it coming with the baby or juvenile, even if it means paying more for a Museum line set. Especially since not only did one of the adults (CMN 2245) preserve an extensive amount of skin, but so did the juvenile (UALVP 52613). They are some of the best understood ceratopsians out there, and it really is a shame there aren't more figures out there of them.

So in short, between my prior post, and this post, here's everything I want to see from them:

-Amargasaurus full sail remake
-Baryonyx
-Carnotaurus 2021 integument remake
-Ceratosaurus
-Chasmosaurus belli
-Gigantoraptor
-new minis, including Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, etc
-anything non dinosaur including more pterosaurs, marine reptiles, fish, etc

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Wild Past's Chasmosaurus is C. russelli.

And I would gladly take an updated Carnotaurus too. Wouldn't have to get the BotM one, then. And of course an updated Amargasaurus too!

Zhenyuanlong and Kulindadromeus would be nice as well, though it seems that at this point the minis are gone for good.

Pretty sure one of the upcoming Dinosaur Empire's Kickstarter rewards will be a Ceratosaurus. If that's so, it will be a really good 1:35 version, though it will surely be pricey.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize it was the other species. I prefer C. belli for the reasons I listed, but both could use quite a bit more representation though.

Hoping they will, I really adore the designs they came up for them. Just hoping I can manage some funds for that. Depends when it launches, and ends. The whole trio would be ideal, but even just one of them would be sufficient.

crazy8wizard

Seeing as PNSO has had a few updates to their bigger, more heavily detailed models to better fit with the smaller scale line, (for example: the Triceratops and Giganotosaurus) I'd love to see them refresh their Ophthalmosaurus. The original one is far too wrinkly and slim for an ichthyosaur and the lateral curve of the tail fluke irritates me, since it should be more rigid, especially the half with the tail bones inside. While it's not a concern for all, I also dislike how gargantuan it is, (I prefer smaller models) so something around the size of the Cretoxyrhina would be perfect.

Concavenator

Quote from: Faelrin on February 16, 2024, 10:09:06 PMHoping they will, I really adore the designs they came up for them. Just hoping I can manage some funds for that. Depends when it launches, and ends. The whole trio would be ideal, but even just one of them would be sufficient.

My suspicions were right after all:

DefinitelyNOTDilo

My edmontosaurus has finally arrived and my god, it's majestic. It makes me really want more large hadrosaurs and so now I can't help but hope that they release a similarly sized Saurolophus figure.

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 22, 2024, 07:44:29 PMMy edmontosaurus has finally arrived and my god, it's majestic. It makes me really want more large hadrosaurs and so now I can't help but hope that they release a similarly sized Saurolophus figure.

It is a true beauty, and a Saurolophus would be just great, as would be a Shantungosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: