News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2024 - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Bread, January 04, 2024, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I hope the speculated Shanxi Geological Museum figures materialize, even if they are fragmentary.

I also hope PNSO returns to occasionally making things that aren't in 1:30 scale. Restricting themselves to that scale really limits how interesting their lineup can be.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

thomasw100

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 23, 2024, 03:39:43 PMI hope the speculated Shanxi Geological Museum figures materialize, even if they are fragmentary.

I also hope PNSO returns to occasionally making things that aren't in 1:30 scale. Restricting themselves to that scale really limits how interesting their lineup can be.

Maybe two scales that are used consistently would be a good way. The standard 1:35 scale for medium to larger species and then something like maybe 1:15 for the smaller species. Then one could collect subsets of their release portfolio that would at least be in the same scale.

Sim

It's exciting that PNSO is running out of megatheropods to make, as it means more interesting species have a chance at being made.  Megatheropods are interesting too, but PNSO made too many allosauroids and tyrannosauroids last year in my opinion.

If PNSO would like to make a lipped tyrannosauroid, there are two species I hope they'll make.  First is Bistahieversor, which lacks a truly good figure and has quite a unique appearance.  The other is Tarbosaurus.  I have the current PNSO Tarbosaurus and Schleich's, and I like both a lot.  However, I would prefer to have just one Tarbosaurus and if PNSO made a lipped one with a deeper skull in 1:35 scale, I think I would let go of the two Tarbosaurus figures I currently have and just keep the lipped PNSO.  This would also free a lot of space that I can use for other figures.

With regards to allosauroids, I'd just like a Neovenator from PNSO.  Then I could part with my Neovenator and Baryonyx by Favorite, freeing up more space!

Halichoeres

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 23, 2024, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 23, 2024, 03:39:43 PMI hope the speculated Shanxi Geological Museum figures materialize, even if they are fragmentary.

Maybe two scales that are used consistently would be a good way. The standard 1:35 scale for medium to larger species and then something like maybe 1:15 for the smaller species. Then one could collect subsets of their release portfolio that would at least be in the same scale.

That would be better than nothing!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

I wish PNSO would reveal their next figure!  So that I can either imagine what the figures on the rumour list might be like (if it appears correct), or imagine what PNSO might make that hasn't been leaked (if the list appears incorrect).  I'm waiting to place an order until I know whether the rumour list appears correct and PNSO will apparently be making Neovenator.  I would also like to know if PNSO apparently will be making Chasmosaurus as if so I won't request it from other companies.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on March 10, 2024, 11:36:30 PMI wish PNSO would reveal their next figure!  So that I can either imagine what the figures on the rumour list might be like (if it appears correct), or imagine what PNSO might make that hasn't been leaked (if the list appears incorrect).  I'm waiting to place an order until I know whether the rumour list appears correct and PNSO will apparently be making Neovenator.  I would also like to know if PNSO apparently will be making Chasmosaurus as if so I won't request it from other companies.

Chasmosaurus from Haolongood was just released. PNSO really needs to get going. Many people will now buy the Haolonggood model, because it is not expensive, Chasmosaurus is in great demand and nobody knows if PNSO will ever release one. Haolonggood will release about 30 models this year. I think the best PNSO could do now is to officially release a list of forthcoming models for this year. They cannot continue to operate like they did when there was no serious competition.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 11, 2024, 09:32:33 AMHaolonggood will release about 30 models this year.

Before we get too excited about the 30 models announcement, it's worth remembering that Haolonggood releases multiple colorways for each of their figures, and they give each color a different product name. So 30 models could mean 15 genera with two color versions for each. That's still a respectable number, but PNSO also released 15 new figures last year.
Check out my customs thread!

thomasw100

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 11, 2024, 01:25:41 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 11, 2024, 09:32:33 AMHaolonggood will release about 30 models this year.

Before we get too excited about the 30 models announcement, it's worth remembering that Haolonggood releases multiple colorways for each of their figures, and they give each color a different product name. So 30 models could mean 15 genera with two color versions for each. That's still a respectable number, but PNSO also released 15 new figures last year.

They released 21 models (not counting color variants and special editions separately) last year. When they say that they will release more this year and that it would be 30, I tend to believe that.

Dusty Wren

Ah, I hadn't seen that they said they'd release "more," just the 30 models number mentioned in your post. If that's the case, then it'll be a fruitful year from Haolonggood.

I don't see why that means that PNSO needs to release a list of their models, though? Dinosaur figure collecting isn't a zero-sum game, where people will only buy one version of a genus from the company that releases it first. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many rexes flooding the market. I'm planning on buying both the PNSO and Haolonggood Edmontosaurus this year, because I like both of them for different reasons. 
Check out my customs thread!

BenSy

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 11, 2024, 01:25:41 PMBefore we get too excited about the 30 models announcement, it's worth remembering that Haolonggood releases multiple colorways for each of their figures, and they give each color a different product name. So 30 models could mean 15 genera with two color versions for each. That's still a respectable number, but PNSO also released 15 new figures last year.

It could also be 30*2 models, which is 60. Maybe they meant models specifically and not colors?

Hello, everyone. This is my first post.

Sim

If PNSO is producing Chasmosaurus, I hope it will be C. belli so I can get it and Haolonggood's C. russelli!

thomasw100

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 11, 2024, 03:01:36 PMAh, I hadn't seen that they said they'd release "more," just the 30 models number mentioned in your post. If that's the case, then it'll be a fruitful year from Haolonggood.

I don't see why that means that PNSO needs to release a list of their models, though? Dinosaur figure collecting isn't a zero-sum game, where people will only buy one version of a genus from the company that releases it first. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many rexes flooding the market. I'm planning on buying both the PNSO and Haolonggood Edmontosaurus this year, because I like both of them for different reasons. 

But many will not buy the same species from two manufacturers and certainly not in the same year when in total about 40-45 models will be released in one year from just two companies (about 30 from Haolonggood as just announced and about 10-15 from PNSO). And even less so when Haolonggood will release the 4 large sauropods as they have announced, which will each cost 90 USD or more. This will be eating into the budget of many people but it is an amazing opportunity which may not come up again any time soon. If PNSO would release a list of species they plan to release this year, then people could make an early decision on which version to get.

Sim

After looking into it further I've come to the conclusion that Haolonggood's Chasmosaurus is C. belli.  This is based on the only way to differentiate the two species I know of which is the angle of the parietal bar.  There are some adult specimens possibly of C. belli with orbital horns too.  Wild Past's Chasmosaurus russelli also appears to actually be C. belli based on the angle of the parietal bar.  I don't think I need more than one Chasmosaurus figure, so I would appreciate it if PNSO would release something that does or doesn't match what is in the rumour list, soon.  So I can decide whether to get Haolonggood's Chasmosaurus or wait until PNSO will apparently release theirs to compare the two.

Halichoeres

I'm generally a one-per-genus collector, but I'm not too worried about whether another company will make a particular animal after I bought one. I guess if I know another is coming I might hold off on pulling the trigger so I can compare, though. Knowing HLG's Edmontosaurus is coming has kept me from buying PNSO's; not sure yet which I'll go for.

Concavenator

Eventually, when it gets named and described, it would be so great to have a figure of that amazingly well-preserved Chinese stegosaurian that was found with a single plate and the big thagomizer. Be it by PNSO, Haolonggood, etc.

One of the most impressive fossils I've ever seen.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on March 11, 2024, 11:14:30 PMEventually, when it gets named and described, it would be so great to have a figure of that amazingly well-preserved Chinese stegosaurian that was found with a single plate and the big thagomizer. Be it by PNSO, Haolonggood, etc.

I think that has very good odds.

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 19, 2024, 04:02:41 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on March 11, 2024, 11:14:30 PMEventually, when it gets named and described, it would be so great to have a figure of that amazingly well-preserved Chinese stegosaurian that was found with a single plate and the big thagomizer. Be it by PNSO, Haolonggood, etc.

I think that has very good odds.

Just realized it appears to be a small animal, so not sure PNSO or Haolonggood would go for it, would probably be pretty small at a 1:35-ish scale and it seems for these companies using a larger scale is not an option...

Well, hopefully Safari or CollectA will consider it.

Concavenator

If I were to bet what genus will PNSO tackle next that would be Sinosaurus.

Halichoeres

Could be. That would at least be a new flavor of theropod from them.

Sim

PNSO has just produced a Wuerhosaurus, which is their first stegosaurian with their current level of fine detail that isn't a museum series figure.  This has made me think out of their "medium"-sized figure lines, what types of dinosaur does PNSO have and not have?  This could suggest what might be likely or not likely to come from PNSO in the future, based on what PNSO might feel they are missing.  So, below I've listed all of PNSO's "medium" dinosaur figures, those in bold are museum series figures, those in turquoise lack PNSO's current style e.g. lipless toothed theropods that aren't spinosaurids, cheeked ornithischians, dinosaurs with very defined scales.  Those in purple are figures in PNSO's current style.

Basal Theropoda: Nothing
Ceratosauria: Carnotaurus
Megalosauroidea: Spinosaurus (1), Spinosaurus (2), Torvosaurus, Sinopliosaurus, Suchomimus, Megalosaurus, Spinosaurus (3)
Allosauroidea: Giganotosaurus (1), Yangchuanosaurus (1), Carcharodontosaurus, Allosaurus, Sinraptor, Acrocanthosaurus, Giganotosaurus (2), Meraxes, Mapusaurus, Yangchuanosaurus (2), Yangchuanosaurus (3), Saurophaganax
Tyrannosauroidea: Tyrannosaurus (1), Tyrannosaurus (2), Tyrannosaurus (3), Qianzhousaurus, Yutyrannus, Tarbosaurus, Tyrannosaurus (4), Nanotyrannus, Zhuchengtyrannus, Tyrannosaurus (5), Daspletosaurus, Lythronax, Albertosaurus, Gorgosaurus
Compsognathidae: Nothing
Ornithomimosauria: Deinocheirus
Alvarezsauroidea: Nothing
Therizinosauria: Therizinosaurus
Oviraptorosauria: Nothing
Dromaeosauridae: Nothing
Troodontidae: Nothing
Archaeopterygidae: Nothing
Other Theropoda: Nothing

Basal Ornithischia: Nothing
Thescelosauridae: Nothing
Basal Ornithopoda: Nothing
Basal Ankylopollexia: Iguanodon
Hadrosauromorpha: Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Olorotitan, Tsintaosaurus, Edmontosaurus
Basal Ceratopsia: Nothing
Centrosaurinae: Spinops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Machairoceratops, Sinoceratops, Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus
Chasmosaurinae: Triceratops (1), Triceratops (2), Torosaurus
Pachycephalosauria: Pachycephalosaurus
Basal Thyreophora: Nothing
Stegosauria: Chungkingosaurus, Stegosaurus (1), Tuojiangosaurus, Miragaia, Stegosaurus (2), Wuerhosaurus
Ankylosauridae: Ankylosaurus, Pinacosaurus, Zuul
Nodosauridae: Borealopelta, Sauropelta

Basal Sauropodomorpha: Lufengosaurus
Basal Sauropoda: Mamenchisaurus (1), Mamenchisaurus (2)
Diplodocoidea: Amargasaurus, Lingwulong
Macronaria: Alamosaurus

I have to say I find it disappointing how PNSO ignores certain dinosaur groups and makes lots of species from other groups.  Besides that...  I think it's most likely a matter of time before PNSO makes Sinosaurus, Dilophosaurus and Ceratosaurus.  I'm a little surprised PNSO hasn't made more abelisaurids considering how many species they've made from the other big bad theropod groups.  I don't expect another spinosaurid from PNSO soon, nor do I expect a megalosaurid even though the ones PNSO has made lack lips.  I think and hope PNSO doesn't make any more allosauroids for a long time, considering how many they've made and how they have lipped modern ones available.  It's a bit surprising PNSO doesn't have any lipped tyrannosauroids, I think we might see one soon and Tyrannosaurus definitely at some point.  For the remaining theropod groups, I'm not optimistic PNSO will make something from this year.  Surely though with theropods PNSO can't keep making only tyrannosauroids, allosauroids and megalosauroids?  Right?

I think we won't see another hadrosauromorph from PNSO soon.  They've made a lot and have a couple at their current modern standard.  Same for centrosaurines.  It's weird how few chasmosaurines PNSO has made, I think something from this group might come soon from PNSO, specifically a non-museum series figure as PNSO's only chasmosaurines are museum series figures.  PNSO has both museum series and non figures of stegosaurians at their current standard.  I think it's possible PNSO could make another stegosaurian this year but I don't think it's a priority for them.  I doubt we'll see another ankylosaurid from PNSO this year but I think it's likely there will be another nodosaurid from PNSO this year.  PNSO's nodosaurids both have an older sculpting style.  Perhaps it'll be an Edmontonia or Denversaurus?  Those would be very different to PNSO's current nodosaurids.

The main sauropodomorph groups all have a modern standard PNSO figure, which I wasn't expecting prior to making this post.  I am also surprised PNSO hasn't made Shunosaurus, a new Amargasaurus, a diplodocid and a brachiosaurid.  I think it's likely we'll see at least one of these from PNSO this year.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: