News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Neat to see a light up feature on the Parasaurolophus. A nice little extra. The Ceratosaurus is pretty nice looking too. Simple, but effective.

And just as I was about to post the above, avatar_Galaxy @Galaxy dropped the newest batch.

The Chasmosaurus is a little exaggerated, but I think it looks really nice. I'd love to see a Kenner-like repaint down the road.

I find it interesting the Monolophosaurus has gotten a complete resculpt, but is not even of the film canon Camp Cretaceous design. Weird, but interesting I guess. I think the original sculpt is better for what it is worth.

The Gastonia is a wonderful surprise, but I do think the coloration is a bit too similar to the recent Avaceratops. That said, not something I've seen done an ankylosaur before, and it looks gorgeous. A must have. OP will be updated.

The Dilophosaurus is almost a repack of the 2022 Legacy Collection one. Just yellow frills instead of orange.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Odd that the budget-line (Danger Packs) looks far superior to their supposedly more "premium" Strike Attack counterparts.

Glad to see Rauisuchus finally getting a figure, I'm surprised it took this long despite being the namesake for its entire family.

The Guanlong is an absolute treat too. A shame the Lystrosaurus didn't receive a repaint, seemed like the perfect opportunity to do one, and had I known Mattel would re-release the Lystrosaurus I most likely would've skipped the original set. Though knowing Mattel's track record with distributing the non-dinosaurs one can't be too safe.

The rest are passable, nothing spectacular IMO. The Monolophosaurus looks hideous though, almost looks AI-generated with its overbite and generally awful proportions. I'm with avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin on the opinion that the original sculpt was the best. All subsequent Monolophosaurus sculpts look more and more cartoonish.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That wave must be the " let's stick horns everywhere at random" lol  I might get the Chasmosaurus..would have preferred something closer to Kenner's as an homage, all these years later it's still a really good model of one and has sound.

I like almost all of the Rauisuchus wave, it and the baby Apato as well as the Guanlong are ones I'll probably pick up.

The para should be good to add to my herd of them.

Flaffy

Devolution of the Mattel Monolophosaurus

Gwangi

The Chasmosaurus is the only one from that batch that I like. That new Mono looks suspiciously like a Kenner Velociraptor.

Flaffy

Someone on twitter made a JP3 edit of the latest Ceratosaurus. I didn't even notice that the new figure has a much more accurate head sculpt, and maybe bulkier proportions as well? Would be interesting to see if Mattel will reissue the HC Ceratosaurus with an updated sculpt, along with the new method they do teeth now (which I vastly prefer).

Credit: @Lucca2951

EmperorDinobot

Excited is an understatement!

Guanlong is spectacular, an absolute must have. That being said, it'll probably be tiny and smol.

The Chasmosaurus is a WRECK. I have been an apologist for their ceratopsians for too long. Paint the parietal horns and I'll keep mum.

The Monolophosaurus looks weirdly adorable.

How many times am I gonna have to see that Dilophosaurus before I go extinct?

Dimorphodon do what the compies did in JP the novel at my park. But we have so many of those Dilos already that they might just replace them as the "waste management consultants".

The rest are great.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on February 24, 2024, 05:05:05 AMSomeone on twitter made a JP3 edit of the latest Ceratosaurus. I didn't even notice that the new figure has a much more accurate head sculpt, and maybe bulkier proportions as well? Would be interesting to see if Mattel will reissue the HC Ceratosaurus with an updated sculpt, along with the new method they do teeth now (which I vastly prefer).

Credit: @Lucca2951

If they released that color I would buy it.  I think Camp Cretaceous had a green Cerato in it though didn't it?

MLMjp

I am tempted by the Chaos Theory pack, Tiger's coloration is much more movie accurate and so is the Dilophosaurus. But I won't make the effort to hunt it down unless it becomes available in my country.

Guanlong looks cool, and I might get that Gallimimus. The baby Apato is very dissapointing, that vertical neck just hurts. Should've been in a gentle S curve, damn it!

Unsure about the Gastonia, spikes are a bit on the over the top side. Chasmosaurus is a bit dissapointing with the exagerated frill hors and not so appealing color scheme.

The Ceratosaurus would be a great upgrade for me (I don't have the Hammmond Collection one) if it had the JP3 colors...

Parasaurolophus is good, but I got no space for another Para. Everyhting else is a skip, but honorable mention for that Monolophosaurus, it's evolving, just backwards.

Pliosaurking

I think for the most part these are pretty decent looking figures, I definitely want to grab that Rauisuchus!

suspsy

Know what else is really needed besides another ankylosaurid? An ichthyosaur.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like the HC Blue has QC issues so that's probably why the retailer cancellations and Amazon keeping an October release date.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: suspsy on February 24, 2024, 05:03:15 PMKnow what else is really needed besides another ankylosaurid? An ichthyosaur.
Absolutely. I've been itching for an ichthyosaur with poseable flippers and tail. Come to think of it, are there any articulated ichthyosaur figures out there?

MLMjp

JPtoys has a picture of the upcoming All Out Attack T.rex that nobody talks about and holly molly! What the hell are those teeth!

Are those...retractible?

Cpt Red 3eard

Finally we get some toy representation of tooth slippage.

crazy8wizard

I love the detailing but those teeth are...ewwww

PrimevalRaptor

Quote from: suspsy on February 24, 2024, 05:03:15 PMKnow what else is really needed besides another ankylosaurid? An ichthyosaur.

BIG agree, Mattels marine reptiles have been pretty good so far and many ichthyosaurs would fit great in the attack pack range

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on February 24, 2024, 06:55:22 PMJPtoys has a picture of the upcoming All Out Attack T.rex that nobody talks about and holly molly! What the hell are those teeth!

Are those...retractible?

I think we discussed it last year when these pics surfaced?

Either someone thought Dinosaurs could bare their teeth or they saw a skull of Stan and just went from there without doing any other research lol

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 25, 2024, 01:07:01 AM

BIG agree, Mattels marine reptiles have been pretty good so far and many ichthyosaurs would fit great in the attack pack range

Lets just go for broke and make a big Shonisaurus  ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2024, 01:20:34 AM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 25, 2024, 01:07:01 AM

Lets just go for broke and make a big Shonisaurus  ;D

Exactly what I was thinking!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: