News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy8wizard

Did TS toys ever make an unofficial WWD Cryptoclidus figure? I saw this big, rubbery plesiosaur figure that looks very similar to the Walking with Dinosaurs Cryptoclidus but just a little bit off, which feels characteristic of the TS Toys WWD figures. If not, then what is it, and where did it come from?

DinoToyForum

That's the Wenno Plesiosaurus. I have it. It features in one of my video unboxings. :)

I should review it on the blog with the other Wennos: https://dinotoyblog.com/category/wenno/

Halichoeres

Ha, I asked about that same figure in this thread a while back, I think using a screenshot from the same listing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

KamenOH

I'm not quite sure if this "Chinasaur," as I've heard these vaguely dinosaur toys be called, is anything new, given that most online sites say it's early 80's / late 70's, but I figured that where else but here would know what it actually was.

I know it's an Ankylosaur, made in Hong Kong, and that it's hilariously "wrong," but otherwise I'm kinda stumped. Read through a couple of the earlier posts, checked any companies mentioned, and got nowhere fast.
Floating through life every so often isn't bad for you.

DinoToyForum

I've seen similar (=identical?) figures marked with the AAA logo, so I believe the original, at least, is AAA brand. See this lot on Ebay, for exxmple, which shows a photograph of the AAA logo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134899831427 This model was knocked-off many times though, so you may not have the original. And I'm not an expert on figures from this time, so I guess it's even possible the AAA version was a knock-off of an earlier figure.

Duna

Quote from: DinoToyForum on March 01, 2024, 12:21:35 AMI've seen similar (=identical?) figures marked with the AAA logo, so I believe the original, at least, is AAA brand. See this lot on Ebay, for exxmple, which shows a photograph of the AAA logo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134899831427 This model was knocked-off many times though, so you may not have the original. And I'm not an expert on figures from this time, so I guess it's even possible the AAA version was a knock-off of an earlier figure.
I completely agree. Either AAA ankylosaurus (or what-it-may-be) or made by them or other similar brand. They are from the late 70s to early 80s. Just use as a collector item, as its paint probably contains high levels of heavy metals.

BrontoScorpio

Once got an old Lot like that from Germany - passed them out as cheap 'Chinasaurs' for no other option presented itself ...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on March 01, 2024, 10:50:36 PMOnce got an old Lot like that from Germany - passed them out as cheap 'Chinasaurs' for no other option presented itself ...

If I'm looking at the right set (the yellowish ones), those appear to be a line of small-size Imperial brand figures (or knock-offs thereof), such as the Nothosaurus reviewed here: https://dinotoyblog.com/nothosaurus-imperial/

Duna

The AAA dinosaurs have those blue eyes and dull color, and the ones made in Hong Kong have the AAA stamp on their belly. This is my collection from 1978:

Halichoeres

Somebody listed that AAA Ankylosaurus on eBay as Tsagantegia once, and they had me going for a second, but they clearly pulled that name out of thin air.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

crazy8wizard

So I have this little rubbery purple dino that I was never sure the genus of.

I'm pretty sure it's Psittacosaurus because of the hooked beak but it could very well be a small ornithopod like Nanosaurus or Hypsilophodon.
What do you think it is? Does anyone recognize it specifically?

BlueKrono

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard It looks like the style of Weetos dinosaurs. I have some in this exact color with the stripes and with the soft rubbery texture. I would agree with the Psittacosaurus ID, but that's just personal opinion as I don't see that species named on any official Weetos advertisements.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

I'll be damned, I didn't know that Weetos dinosaurs even came in painted versions.

Fossilized-Rubber

Found in a charity shop. What species is it, and what make?
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

Avian

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on April 01, 2024, 03:06:11 PM

Found in a charity shop. What species is it, and what make?

It is a Placerias, but the maker of this figure is unknown.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Flaffy

avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber Good find! Some people specifically hunt for the Placerias out of the entire set.

Link: https://dinotoyblog.com/dinosaur-boxset-2-toyway/

EverythingDinosaur was lucky enough to have a couple of these for sale back in the day, many years ago.

Crackington

I think the company that made it was called Nayab.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: