News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Concavenator, April 22, 2023, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 31, 2024, 06:29:30 AMI recently remembered that we still have yet to get an updated Amargasaurus or bajadasaurus based on the new paper, and something like that seems right up hlg's alley! If they were to consider making one it would definitely be an instant buy for me. Really any sort of smaller or more obscure sauropod would make a great addition to my collection as I'm currently trying to build out a whole sauropod legion lol.

All indicators point to the Alamosaurus being a great success. I count here that it comes on top of the list when sorting Haolonggood products according to best selling in online stores and the fact that the plain version seems almost sold out and the base is already sold out. This is very good, because it will encourage Haolonggood to produce more large sauropods. When speaking of large sauropods, I refer to species that were larger than 20 meters. Of course that threshold is purely arbitrary. If the teaser image with the four large sauropods planned for this year comes true, they would already have covered 5 of the most iconic large sauropods: Apatosaurus, Alamosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Brachiosaurus, Argentinosaurus. From my perspective, there would be 2 more large sauropods falling into that category: Camarasaurus, Diplodocus. I would love if they would make those two. Then after that there are many options of very interesting large sauropod species, and I would think that most interesting would be Patagotitan, Dreadnoughtus, Barosaurus. Further to that, there are of course many smaller sauropod species and Amargasaurus would certainly rank in the category most iconic smaller sauropods.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I would like to see more Asian taxa from HG, particularly hadrosaurs. Tsintaosaurus and Olorotitan would fit into their current lineup particularly well, and a nice, massive, 1/35 Shantungosaurus would be to die for. While less flashy compared to the other three, I keep holding out hope for a good Saurolophus as well (which of course is also found in North America, which I think increases its collecting appeal).
As for theropods, since HG has shown a willingness to do groups of slightly smaller theropods with their Dilophosaurus pair, I think a pair (or even a trio?) of Gallimimus would be a fantastic addition to the line, and bring some much needed ornithomimid representation to the collecting scene.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Oh! I almost forgot: now that HG has thoroughly established themselves, it might be a good time to start branching out into non-dinosaurs, as well. More large pterosaurs, some giant crocs, maybe even marine reptiles, if they're really interested in branching out. I would love some Triassic weirdos, too, like Lisowicia, Fasolasuchus, or Redondosaurus would be fantastic.

postsaurischian

No HAOLONGGOOD dreams here. They fulfil my desires even before I start dreaming of.

Daspletodave

With the demise of Wild Past, I'd like to see HLG do Plateosaurus, Chasmosaurus, and Tenontosaurus. As well as a few important dinosaurs that have been ignored such as Muttaburrasaurus, Camptosaurus, Brachylophosaurus, Prosaurolophus, Hypacrosaurus, Anchiceratops, Arhinoceratops, Cedarpelta, and Gastonia.

Sim

With the news of Haolonggood making 30 figures this year, I thought it might be interesting to review what Haolonggood has already made/what we know they will make and what types of animals they haven't made.  Below are each different type of non-avialan dinosaur, after the group, black=made, purple=upcoming, red=all group members are probably too small to make, turquoise=group has large animals but nothing made from it yet.

Basal Theropoda: Dilophosaurus
Ceratosauria: Carnotaurus
Megalosauroidea: Spinosaurus, Baryonyx
Allosauroidea: Carcharodontosaurus, Allosaurus
Tyrannosauroidea: Tyrannosaurus, Daspletosaurus
Compsognathidae: N/A
Ornithomimosauria: N/A
Therizinosauria: Therizinosaurus
Oviraptorosauria: N/A
Dromaeosauridae: N/A
Troodontidae: N/A
Other Theropoda: Megaraptor

Basal Ornithischia: N/A
Basal Ornithopoda: N/A
Basal Ankylopollexia: Ouranosaurus
Thescelosauridae: N/A
Hadrosauromorpha: Tlatolophus, Edmontosaurus
Basal Ceratopsia: Udanoceratops
Centrosaurinae: Nasutoceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Sinoceratops
Chasmosaurinae: Pentaceratops, Kosmoceratops, Chasmosaurus
Pachycephalosauria: N/A
Basal Thyreophora: N/A
Stegosauria: Wuerhosaurus, Dacentrurus, Stegosaurus
Ankylosauridae: Tianzhenosaurus, Euoplocephalus
Nodosauridae: Edmontonia, Hungarosaurus

Basal Sauropodomorpha: N/A
Basal Sauropoda: Mamenchisaurus
Diplodocoidea: Dicraeosaurus, Apatosaurus
Macronaria: Ampelosaurus, Alamosaurus, Brachiosaurus(?), Argentinosaurus(?)

As can be seen Haolonggood has made a large variety of dinosaurs, although some groups are still unrepresented.  Already this year Haolonggood is making a new type of dinosaur, with their Mamenchisaurus.  I'd like it if Haolonggood made species from some of the currently unrepresented groups: Ornithomimosauria, Dromaeosauridae, basal Sauropodomorpha.  Perhaps among the many Haolonggood species of this year, the unrepresented groups will be represented?  Maybe even groups with only relatively small animals?

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on March 12, 2024, 10:31:57 AMWith the news of Haolonggood making 30 figures this year, I thought it might be interesting to review what Haolonggood has already made/what we know they will make and what types of animals they haven't made.  Below are each different type of non-avialan dinosaur, after the group, black=made, purple=upcoming, red=all group members are probably too small to make, turquoise=group has large animals but nothing made from it yet.

Other Theropoda: Megaraptor

Basal Ornithischia: N/A
Basal Ornithopoda: N/A
Basal Ankylopollexia: Ouranosaurus
Thescelosauridae: N/A
Hadrosauromorpha: Tlatolophus, Edmontosaurus
Basal Ceratopsia: Udanoceratops
Centrosaurinae: Nasutoceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Sinoceratops
Chasmosaurinae: Pentaceratops, Kosmoceratops, Chasmosaurus
Pachycephalosauria: N/A
Basal Thyreophora: N/A
Stegosauria: Wuerhosaurus, Dacentrurus, Stegosaurus
Ankylosauridae: Tianzhenosaurus, Euoplocephalus
Nodosauridae: Edmontonia, Hungarosaurus

Basal Sauropodomorpha: N/A
Basal Sauropoda: Mamenchisaurus
Diplodocoidea: Dicraeosaurus, Apatosaurus
Macronaria: Ampelosaurus, Alamosaurus, Brachiosaurus(?), Argentinosaurus(?)

As can be seen Haolonggood has made a large variety of dinosaurs, although some groups are still unrepresented.  Already this year Haolonggood is making a new type of dinosaur, with their Mamenchisaurus.  I'd like it if Haolonggood made species from some of the currently unrepresented groups: Ornithomimosauria, Dromaeosauridae, basal Sauropodomorpha.  Perhaps among the many Haolonggood species of this year, the unrepresented groups will be represented?  Maybe even groups with only relatively small animals?

Really great summary, nicely done. With the release of Kosmoceratops last year and Chasmosaurus now, I am increasingly optimistic that Haolonggood might consider more of the smaller species. The size threshold may gradually move to somewhere around 3 meters, but much smaller might be difficult to do in 1:35 scale. I wonder if they will make more Pterosaurs, given that they have made the Quetzalcoatlus.

Halichoeres

My hope is that they eventually make some interesting non-dinosaurs. The two they have made so far are not particularly exciting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 13, 2024, 12:27:03 AMMy hope is that they eventually make some interesting non-dinosaurs. The two they have made so far are not particularly exciting.

Agreed, their Quetz seemed to be a promising start. It feels like HLG are at the moment near mastering herbivores - what we have seen in the most recent releases (Sinoceratops, Alamosaurus) show that (except of course for some anatomical issues like the Tlatolophosaurus underbite). They've been improving their carnivores as well (Megaraptor), and perhaps once they feel more confident with their current offerings, will they move on to non-dinosaurs. Either way it's exciting to see a company develop the way HLG have been developing.

Concavenator

Apart from the obvious and umpteenthly requested Kentrosaurus (it's sort of become a tradition to request Haolonggood to make it!), another stegosaur I would appreciate to see from them is Miragaia.

Yes, I know there's the PNSO, which is an accurate depiction of the creature. Overall, I like it, but it's not the definitive version of the species for me. I'm not very fond of the oversized scaling. If Haolonggood made a Miragaia, I'm confident I would like it more than PNSO's take. Also, PNSO's is at about 1:27-1:28 scale, so even though scale is secondary to me, I would indeed rather have a (true!) 1:35 scale than a 1:27-ish one.

That said, I do have PNSO's Miragaia in my wishlist, but it's not as high a priority for me because I'm giving time to somebody else to release an up-to-date Miragaia without oversized scaling. Be it Haolonggood, Safari, Eofauna, etc. I also know there will eventually be one from Creative Beast Studio (they confirmed it), and while it will surely look great (as per usual), I guess it will be made in 1:18 scale, so in that case, I'd rather get PNSO's smaller and more affordable version. Miragaia is also one of the most distinctive stegosaurids, so it's got the recognition. I'd deem it a better choice than fragmentary stegosaurids like Wuerhosaurus and Dacentrurus, at least.  :P

Halichoeres

Quote from: Quiversaurus on March 13, 2024, 02:03:52 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 13, 2024, 12:27:03 AMMy hope is that they eventually make some interesting non-dinosaurs. The two they have made so far are not particularly exciting.

Agreed, their Quetz seemed to be a promising start. It feels like HLG are at the moment near mastering herbivores - what we have seen in the most recent releases (Sinoceratops, Alamosaurus) show that (except of course for some anatomical issues like the Tlatolophosaurus underbite). They've been improving their carnivores as well (Megaraptor), and perhaps once they feel more confident with their current offerings, will they move on to non-dinosaurs. Either way it's exciting to see a company develop the way HLG have been developing.

Yeah, they've evolved quite quickly. They're learning!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Haolonggood has revealed most of the non-theropods they will produce this year, and while there's a number I'm very interested in, I'm very eager to find out what theropods they will be producing this year!  Below is what Mesozoic theropods Haolonggood has and hasn't made so far.  After the group, black=made, red=all group members are probably too small to make in 1:35, turquoise=group has large animals but nothing made from it yet.

Alvarezsauroidea: N/A
Archaeopterygidae: N/A
Basal Avialae: N/A
Enantiornithes: N/A
Basal Euornithes: N/A
Misc. Theropoda: Megaraptor

I think anything with the red code probably won't be made from Haolonggood this year.

The ones with turqoise code I find intresting possibilities for Haolonggood.  If Haolonggood does make something from these groups I expect they will be Gallimimus (Deinocheirus has been done enough), Gigantoraptor and Utahraptor or Austroraptor.  All of these would be very exciting!

As for the other groups, I think we'll see Ceratosaurus from Haolonggood after how much it has been requested.  Herrerasaurus has been requested a lot too, and I hope it will be made!  I have hope a megalosaurid will be offered by Haolonggood this year, Torvosaurus being the one I'd like most after learning how inaccurate the skull on PNSO's is.  Allosauroids have been VERY well-represented, leaving hardly anything unrepresented.  Maybe Haolonggood will make a feathered Concavenator, or a Neovenator?
With regards to tyrannosauroids, there's a surprising number that could use better representation, considering how often they have been made.  Appalachiosaurus and Dryptosaurus have been quite vocally requested, but I'm not sure there's enough interest in them in China for them to be made over other tyrannosauroids at this point.  Bistahieversor and Gorgosaurus lack a truly good representation besides a huge, articulated figure.  I hope Haolonggood doesn't make Qianzhousaurus or Tarbosaurus, they have been made enough.  Teratophoneus could be coming, although I wonder if Haolonggood would use the distinctive outdated skull reconstruction or the more complete yet generic-looking skull that was found more recently?  I have to say I'm not interested in a Teratophoneus, for the record.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Herrerasaurus is so overdue it's blatant. Isn't it always the single most-voted theropod in the "What Theropods we Want X Company to Make?" polls? If not so, pretty confident it's consistently in the Top 2/Top 3. I have an easier time seeing a new Ceratosaurus coming than a new Herrasaurus.

Since HLG competes with PNSO every once in a while (in terms of species), Torvosaurus is one genus that I think HLG can improve on (T. tanneri please, avoid the fragmentary T. gurneyi). Iguanodon too. I would be interested in both.

When allosauroids are concerned, a feathered Concavenator would be great. But Asfaltovenator has good remains and has never been made, let alone been done justice, so in the current context, I think it's the best species choice for a new allosauroid figure. Easily much better than the average fragmentary carcharodontosaurid or Saurophaganax, at least. It's also relevant because of its phylogenetic position within Allosauroidea.

Quote from: Sim on March 25, 2024, 11:04:31 PMBistahieversor and Gorgosaurus lack a truly good representation besides a huge, articulated figure.

What about PNSO's Gorgosaurus?

When Gorgosaurus is concerned, I have to say if Safari announced one, I would most probably get it over PNSO's. Not just because it would be cheaper, I really prefer Safari's tyrannosauroids over PNSO's (except Tyrannosaurus, which is also kind of cheating, because Safari's latest one could be perceived as outdated because of the extensive feathering, but my favorite one is Eofauna's). A Gorgosaurus by HLG would be at least interesting, if it represents an adult, is in 1:35 scale and has lips.

Sim

I think Herrerasaurus is the currently most wanted species on this forum after Plateosaurus.  Others that were highly requested have been made (Ouranosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Centrosaurus, Utahraptor).  I'm hopeful these two celebrities of Triassic World ( :P ) will get made!  Gallimimus is also much wanted.

For Torvosaurus I too would like it to be T. tanneri, specifically based on the Elvis specimen.

Asfaltovenator is funny because it's the only allosauroid known from good remains left without a good figure (besides the baby Scipionyx).  It looks so much like Allosaurus though which might be why no-one has made it.  I think it will get a good figure at some point though.   At this point the only allosauroids I'd be interested in are a feathered Concavenator (PNSO thinks it was feathered, perhaps they will make a standard-sized figure of it) and a Neovenator (if it improves over the one I have in my collection).  I think we can expect good theropods from Haolonggood if they avoid making the allosauroids not mentioned in this post in 2024.

I have PNSO's Gorgosaurus and like it a lot, but I think I would replace it if someone made a nice figure of the animal that is based on a fully mature specimen.  I agree with you that a Gorgosaurus like that from Haolonggood would be interesting!  My guess for Haolonggood's next tyrannosauroid is Gorgosaurus!

I've noticed Haolonggood didn't release any feathered animals last year.  I hope they produce some feathered species this year, with dromaeosaurids being what I'd like the most!

Quiversaurus

May not be a popular opinion but I hope HLG do a Qianzhousaurus! I was close to getting PNSO's but held back because of the less refined skin texture (as opposed to Paul their A. jimmadseni and newer Cameron), as well as the scale. I would very much like a 1:35 Qianzhousaurus with HLG's style and current capabilities.

I second the desires for an Iguanodon, as well as feathered species!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I quite second that wish for a qianzhousaurus! PNSO's version also has rather outdated proportions and I'd love to see one with the comically large head we now know it had!

Quiversaurus

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 26, 2024, 06:28:51 AMI quite second that wish for a qianzhousaurus! PNSO's version also has rather outdated proportions and I'd love to see one with the comically large head we now know it had!

Would you know where I can find an updated skeletal reconstruction of Qianzhousaurus?

ceratopsian

What I would like isn't a specific taxon but rather a different colour pattern for the two different schemes released of each taxon.  I often buy both and different skin patterns would look better on my shelves.  But I accept there would be a production cost associated with two patterns....

Sim

avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus, have you considered the Safari Qianzhousaurus?  It's excellent.

Primeval12

Quote from: Sim on March 26, 2024, 02:14:41 PMavatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus, have you considered the Safari Qianzhousaurus?  It's excellent.

I second this! Mine has some warping issues but is overall a great figure. I have 2 of them!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: