News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 5 non-reptiles would we like Safari to make?

Started by Sim, March 11, 2024, 07:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What 5 would you most like from Safari?

Acanthostega
4 (11.8%)
Ambulocetus
10 (29.4%)
Amphicyon
2 (5.9%)
Aquilolamna
3 (8.8%)
Arsinoitherium (reissue or new version)
1 (2.9%)
Arthropleura
8 (23.5%)
Basilosaurus
10 (29.4%)
Bothriolepis canadensis
2 (5.9%)
Columbian mammoth
3 (8.8%)
Cotylorhynchus
13 (38.2%)
Cynognathus
8 (23.5%)
Dorudon
3 (8.8%)
Dunkleosteus (new version)
3 (8.8%)
Edestus
6 (17.6%)
Foreyia
2 (5.9%)
Glyptodon
0 (0%)
Gomphotherium
0 (0%)
Ichthyostega
3 (8.8%)
Laidleria
1 (2.9%)
Leedsichthys
6 (17.6%)
Mastodonsaurus
7 (20.6%)
Megaloceros
0 (0%)
Megarachne
1 (2.9%)
Megatherium (new version)
3 (8.8%)
Merycoidodon
3 (8.8%)
Moeritherium
2 (5.9%)
Moschops
7 (20.6%)
Odobenocetops
4 (11.8%)
Paraentelodon
2 (5.9%)
Prehistoric amphibian toob
10 (29.4%)
Prionosuchus
7 (20.6%)
Seymouria
4 (11.8%)
Sivatherium
9 (26.5%)
Stratodus
1 (2.9%)
Tiktaalik
5 (14.7%)
Thylacoleo
7 (20.6%)
Toxodon
3 (8.8%)
Whale evolution toob
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Sim

So you want prehistoric mammals, amphibians or fish?  Show Safari by voting for them!

Halichoeres

Listen, I'm going to need 20 votes here.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 11, 2024, 09:03:37 PMListen, I'm going to need 20 votes here.

Likewise, I didn't bother voting because I couldn't narrow it down.

CityRaptor

Hmm, going for all three Synapsids: Cynoganthus, Moshops, Cotylorhynchus
Further two King-Sized Beasties: Arthropleura & Prionosuchus
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Concavenator

Went with Ambulocetus, Aquilolamna, Basilosaurus, Megatherium and Tiktaalik.

triceratops83

Difficult choice but I went with -
Arsinoitherium, Cotylorhynchus, Ichthyostega, Mastadonsaurus and Amphibian Tube.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SidB

Megatherium, Moeritherium, Seymouria, Silvatherium and Toxodon.

GojiraGuy1954

Why so many votes for Basilosaurus? Isn't CollectA's version fine?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Torvosaurus

Sivatherium and Thylacoleo, plus Synthetoceras, Cranioceras, Pelorovis oldowayensis and Barbourofelis.

Torvo

Halichoeres

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PMWhy so many votes for Basilosaurus? Isn't CollectA's version fine?

I'm a bit surprised by that too, considering how many nominees have no toys at all. The PNSO one is nice enough too, in my opinion. Maybe some people want a pod?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

CollectA's Basilosaurus lacks lips, isn't streamlined and is warty.  It's a poor figure of Basilosaurus in my opinion.  One member said the CollectA Basilosaurus was like being fed a dead rat, and I can see where they were coming from.

PNSO's is better but it has unrealistic wrinkles all over it like the megalodon and Ophthalmosaurus released at the same time, which makes it look like a zombie.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on March 12, 2024, 11:43:54 PMCollectA's Basilosaurus lacks lips, isn't streamlined and is warty.  It's a poor figure of Basilosaurus in my opinion.  One member said the CollectA Basilosaurus was like being fed a dead rat, and I can see where they were coming from.

PNSO's is better but it has unrealistic wrinkles all over it like the megalodon and Ophthalmosaurus released at the same time, which makes it look like a zombie.

We might disagree on some other figures but I completely agree with this assessment. If I participate in this poll I won't vote for Basilosaurus but I do want one that's better than what's available.

Something like this...

or...

Pachyrhinosaurus

Voted for what I nominated: the Basilosaurus, Columbian Mammoth, Arthropleura, Bothriolepis, and Merycoidodon.

As far as Basilosaurus is concerned, I think Safari can do better than CollectA's rendition. It was once the centerpiece of the Smithsonian fossil hall, so it would be cool to see a decent-sized figure of it that demands attention on the shelf. I'd also prefer to see The American Basilosaurus cetoides over B. isis.

I also think there's a good market for species like Merycoidodon that are popular in the fossil trade. I have Mike Eischen's, but a mass-produced version from Safari would certainly be popular among fossil collectors.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 12, 2024, 11:43:54 PMCollectA's Basilosaurus lacks lips, isn't streamlined and is warty.  It's a poor figure of Basilosaurus in my opinion.  One member said the CollectA Basilosaurus was like being fed a dead rat, and I can see where they were coming from.

It's not warty, those are barnacles. It also has lips, the mouth is just open and they're pulled back. It's about to bite down on something.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 13, 2024, 12:49:10 AMVoted for what I nominated: the Basilosaurus, Columbian Mammoth, Arthropleura, Bothriolepis, and Merycoidodon.

As far as Basilosaurus is concerned, I think Safari can do better than CollectA's rendition. It was once the centerpiece of the Smithsonian fossil hall, so it would be cool to see a decent-sized figure of it that demands attention on the shelf. I'd also prefer to see The American Basilosaurus cetoides over B. isis.

I also think there's a good market for species like Merycoidodon that are popular in the fossil trade. I have Mike Eischen's, but a mass-produced version from Safari would certainly be popular among fossil collectors.
considering the tiny patagotitan, i don't think safari would do a large prehistoric whale

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 13, 2024, 06:40:08 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 13, 2024, 12:49:10 AMVoted for what I nominated: the Basilosaurus, Columbian Mammoth, Arthropleura, Bothriolepis, and Merycoidodon.

considering the tiny patagotitan, i don't think safari would do a large prehistoric whale

I'll admit it's wishful thinking-- I'm still used to seeing larger figures once in a while. But either way, I think the existing figures can be improved upon.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 13, 2024, 06:35:56 PMIt's not warty, those are barnacles. It also has lips, the mouth is just open and they're pulled back. It's about to bite down on something.
Since you're saying I was mistaken in those two areas, I'll respond.  I know it has barnacles, but it also has random lumps or warts, in the image below you can see one on the muscle behind the eye, more on its flank after the forelimb...
  (Image source)
As for the lips, I don't think pulling lips back to that extent naturally follows in the action of biting.  Extant toothed whales don't look like they lack lips when biting as far as I'm aware.  Perhaps the CollectA Basilosaurus is baring its teeth...  This doesn't change my opinion that it's a poor figure of Basilosaurus and I'd like one that is more convincing.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 13, 2024, 07:50:27 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 13, 2024, 06:35:56 PMIt's not warty, those are barnacles. It also has lips, the mouth is just open and they're pulled back. It's about to bite down on something.
Since you're saying I was mistaken in those two areas, I'll respond.  I know it has barnacles, but it also has random lumps or warts, in the image below you can see one on the muscle behind the eye, more on its flank after the forelimb...
  (Image source)
As for the lips, I don't think pulling lips back to that extent naturally follows in the action of biting.  Extant toothed whales don't look like they lack lips when biting as far as I'm aware.  Perhaps the CollectA Basilosaurus is baring its teeth...  This doesn't change my opinion that it's a poor figure of Basilosaurus and I'd like one that is more convincing.
Idk I think those are just unpainted ones

Sim

The edges of the warts fade into the surrounding skin while the barnacles are clearly separated from the skin.

Gwangi

I don't like the barnacles on the CollectA Basilosaurus and I'm not entirely sure that Basilosaurus would have had barnacles anyway. I mostly don't like them because they appear randomly distributed, whereas if you look at extant whales they seem to colonize particular areas on the body. Also, a brief glance at Wikipedia shows that whale barnacles evolved in the Late Pliocene, so that makes me wonder if ancient whales would have even had them. I don't know much about this but I think I'll research it further.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: