News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

It may simply be to prevent the toys pulling apart during play.  There would be lots of parents griping if heads and tails kept pulling off when their kids were playing with the figures.

Eatmycar

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on March 21, 2024, 11:28:25 AMIt may simply be to prevent the toys pulling apart during play.  There would be lots of parents griping if heads and tails kept pulling off when their kids were playing with the figures.

I think this is the reason, frankly. I have to imagine with figures in the main line, especially these guys, their biggest concern isn't whether or not I can add sauropod five to my collection, but whether kids can have fun with it and not end up with the thing's neck ripping out of the body.

I also suspect they want to avoid situations of repeated assembly and disassembly wearing down the connection points between the neck and the body to the point that the toy doesn't want to re-assemble.

Carnoking

That all makes sense, but at the very least, I wish they could do it for their "premium collector line"

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on March 21, 2024, 03:21:34 PMThat all makes sense, but at the very least, I wish they could do it for their "premium collector line"

Hammond Collection? While true it also may be there isn't a great way to assemble them and have them come back apart which is very feasible and passes codes and inspection for toys.

Prehistory Resurrection

The new Majungasaurus figure figure for Chaos Theory has been revealed. With this reveal, Majungasaurus is now confirmed to appear in Chaos Theory and its name has also been revealed; which is "Major". Have quite mixed feelings about the flashy colour scheme but it's a welcome change from the dull colours of the majority of the other dinosaurs in the franchise. Thought it would have the sculpt as the Sound Strike Primal attack sculpt, but it appears to be an entirely new sculpt.

The other Chaos Theory figures can be found in this video:

Eatmycar

That Majungasaurus is so far from the body of a Majungasaurus. It is not going to win points for accuracy but in a franchise full of inaccurate designs, I'm not offended by it.

The films have so many worse offenders at this point that I can't be mad if Mattel or Dreamworks make a sub-par design. The COLOR though, gosh darn, it screams bootleg. So bright! (or JP: Dinosaurs 1999 vibes.

Flaffy

Not a fan of the Majungasaurus. Though it probably makes for a better Rajasaurus than the ones we already have considering it (correctly) lacks an elbow joint.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Kinda looks like a retool or a reworking of the Ekrixinatosaurus.

Faelrin

On one hand, the Majungasaurus from 2020 still is the more appealing of the two, but this new one looks to have a correct singular horn, and like the other, no elbows. I'm kind of glad this new one has coloration similar to the 2020 toy. Would be good if JWE2 got variants for all these new canon species.

2020 one for comparison:

A little disappointed in the Parasaurolophus light up feature. The promo pics showed only the stripes lighting up, but it just looks like the whole body does it?

Edit: The 2020 Parasaurolophus had the better coloration too, with the metallic paint, and better hands if I recall.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Apart from the head being slightly more appealing, the old one is just superior.

A Majungasaurus without the sausage shaped body is not a Majungasaurus.

Carnoking

I'm still not a fan of all the protuberances of the OG, and the head of the new model seems a lot less goofy, but yes, I do prefer the overall body shape of the first. 

Gwangi

Quote from: MLMjp on March 25, 2024, 01:48:08 PMApart from the head being slightly more appealing, the old one is just superior.

A Majungasaurus without the sausage shaped body is not a Majungasaurus.

I agree! This one will be a pass.

MLMjp

Diplodocus box pictures. The darn thing is 142 cm long! Second longest sauropod behind the Dreadnoughtus. Also the neck/tail ratio looks much better in the little picture with the kid.

Carnoking

Glad to know it's no hoax. Nice to see a good long tail on it too.

Faelrin

So glad to see more of this. I imagine we will get higher quality official images of this in 2 days when it goes live on Target's Beyond the Gates feature. I was low-key hoping they'd make a large figure of this animal, but never expected it to happen since it didn't appear on screen beyond the FK diorama thing. Honestly I didn't even expect the Mamenchisaurus to show up, but thankfully it did too. So glad this is a reality, and so beautiful too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm certainly getting one. Maybe two if I want to try that Mamenchi upgrade.  ;D 

I saw folks on FB actually complaining about it. "This isn't Legacy!" mainly..I mean no and sorta but it's Legacy because it's a Target exclusive.  :-\

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 26, 2024, 01:49:42 AMI'm certainly getting one. Maybe two if I want to try that Mamenchi upgrade.  ;D 

I saw folks on FB actually complaining about it. "This isn't Legacy!" mainly..I mean no and sorta but it's Legacy because it's a Target exclusive.  :-\

No more egregious than the Kosmoceratops when you get down to brass tacks. If slapping the legacy label on something this nice is how you get it to market then I'm willing to overlook the semantics

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on March 26, 2024, 02:26:58 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 26, 2024, 01:49:42 AMI'm certainly getting one. Maybe two if I want to try that Mamenchi upgrade.  ;D 

No more egregious than the Kosmoceratops when you get down to brass tacks. If slapping the legacy label on something this nice is how you get it to market then I'm willing to overlook the semantics

Totally agree.

andrewsaurus rex

56 glorious inches long.  Sweet.  About 85 feet in 1/18 scale.  Tail looks much better in the side view picture.   Getting this one for sure.  I hope it can be made to rear up.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: