News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I've noticed the Haolonggood Alamosaurus and Mamenchisaurus have a beak.  I guess it's nice that Haolonggood is represnting different ideas of what covered sauropod mouths, their Dicraeosaurus had a beak too, while their Apatosaurus and Ampelosaurus don't.  I've taken a look at the Camarasaurus Wikipedia page where the evidence for mouth covering is described and I see it's not known if a beak was present.  I don't believe sauropods had beaks, so I hope Haolonggood's Amargasaurus won't have a beak.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Hello everyone! As soon as I saw the excellent paint application for both Edmontosaurus despite of their downgrade from their promo figures, I couldn't help myself not to buy them and went for Lana's pre-order sale on AE.
Finally, both have arrived and well... I love them! They are definitely a step up on sculpting and paint design. Bravo V @vampiredesign:))
First, here is Pei Xuan.

Then Xiao Rang comes along.

what a beauty they are

With some of their HLG folks from the Horseshoe canyon / Wapiti formation (ignoring the species variability for Edmontonia and Pachyrhinosaurus).

The necessary comparison with PNSOs Edmontosaurus 'Zabad'.

Now, alongside all of HLG Tlatolophus and Ouranosaurus 2.0.

As avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator suggested me, a signature comparison with Ancestor's Tlatolophus 'Angel'

Last but not least, family photo!

Sorry for the bad quality of last ones, I took them too early in the morning.
A bit sad for their size, but it helps for comparison between both E.regalis and E.annectens as I previously suggested. Later on I will take proper measurements along the centra to determine scale lengths appropriately. ;D  Hope y'all like it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on April 14, 2024, 08:21:25 PMI've noticed the Haolonggood Alamosaurus and Mamenchisaurus have a beak.  I guess it's nice that Haolonggood is represnting different ideas of what covered sauropod mouths, their Dicraeosaurus had a beak too, while their Apatosaurus and Ampelosaurus don't.  I've taken a look at the Camarasaurus Wikipedia page where the evidence for mouth covering is described and I see it's not known if a beak was present.  I don't believe sauropods had beaks, so I hope Haolonggood's Amargasaurus won't have a beak.

I think it's possible that if not a beak exactly, there could be larger and thicker scales on the mouth to make it stronger for stripping plants. I added some tougher keratin like skin around the mouth of my new juvenile Brachiosaurus I'm working on and it doesn't look bad.

vampiredesign

I'm here. I've been busy applying designer style paint lately, and I've seen many issues. Thank you very much. We will pay attention to some details in the work later. Maybe it's a matter of time. I'll be a bit behind in production, after all, there's still new development and some other work that I can't keep up with. The painting of colors and patterns really consumes brain cells, ^-^, it's okay, everything comes from love.

Pachyventer

Must... have... Euoplocephalus))

Sim

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 15, 2024, 04:08:02 AMI think it's possible that if not a beak exactly, there could be larger and thicker scales on the mouth to make it stronger for stripping plants. I added some tougher keratin like skin around the mouth of my new juvenile Brachiosaurus I'm working on and it doesn't look bad.
I think that's more likely than a beak.  The Camarasaurus specimen that the beak idea came from is said to possess tough scales around the mouth.

Concavenator

As long as it won't have exposed teeth as PNSO's sauropods (which doesn't seem to, based on the render, and also considering the rest of Haolonggood's sauropods), I'll be fine. Sauropods with exposed teeth look cursed IMO, but even then that's not a deal-breaker for me, as they have small heads. Even theropods with exposed teeth are not necessarily a deal-breaker for me (though of course, I'd rather have them lipped).

More importantly, I do hope the neck's sail will fully cover the spines.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on April 15, 2024, 02:34:33 PMAs long as it won't have exposed teeth as PNSO's sauropods (which doesn't seem to, based on the render, and also considering the rest of Haolonggood's sauropods), I'll be fine. Sauropods with exposed teeth look cursed IMO, but even then that's not a deal-breaker for me, as they have small heads. Even theropods with exposed teeth are not necessarily a deal-breaker for me (though of course, I'd rather have them lipped).

More importantly, I do hope the neck's sail will fully cover the spines.

When  I made our life size Apato I made the teeth exposed, the concept was she was "baring" them in a slightly aggressive way to protect her offspring below her. It also made a teaching moment so I could point out the kind of teeth they had. It's probably wrong now but even at 1:1 scale it doesn't bother me much.   I am curious about the Amarga. When I made ours sails were out of fashion altogether.

Concavenator

Thanks for that comparison! avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum  :D

Those Edmontosaurus look great! That's an impressive ornithopod collection you've got, too. 8)

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on April 15, 2024, 01:55:04 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 15, 2024, 04:08:02 AMI think it's possible that if not a beak exactly, there could be larger and thicker scales on the mouth to make it stronger for stripping plants. I added some tougher keratin like skin around the mouth of my new juvenile Brachiosaurus I'm working on and it doesn't look bad.
I think that's more likely than a beak.  The Camarasaurus specimen that the beak idea came from is said to possess tough scales around the mouth.

I personally adopt the term "pseudobeak". I subscribe to the idea that tough cornified/keratinised epidermis was present on some sauropods rather than a full on beak.

Flaffy

I originally wasn't planning on getting the HLG Edmontosaurus... But between avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum and avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian 's lovely comparison pics, I think I'll have to pick up the golden version. It makes for a very nice regalis x annectens pair with the PNSO figure!

Carnoking

Quote from: Pachyventer on April 15, 2024, 09:53:29 AMMust... have... Euoplocephalus))

Funny you should mention that...

Samrukia

Euoplocephalus shown on Paleofiguras FB page

PoptartDoodle

The orange/yellow is quite lovely, the grey is too similar to PNSO's Zuul imo.

Carnoking

Quote from: PoptartDoodle on April 15, 2024, 05:55:58 PMThe orange/yellow is quite lovely, the grey is too similar to PNSO's Zuul imo.

I'll echo this sentiment and add that the orange variant looks like it'd be right at home alongside PNSO's Sede.

Certainly not a criticism in my book, they both look fantastic for the price. I think I'd lean more towards the orange offering myself, if anything because there's more complexity to the color on the armor and around the limbs.

Pachyventer

Quote from: Samrukia on April 15, 2024, 05:22:26 PMEuoplocephalus shown on Paleofiguras FB page

Oh, it's much closer: it's on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D1RL7FK9

Just got myself a copy :)))

Flaffy

Quote from: PoptartDoodle on April 15, 2024, 05:55:58 PMThe orange/yellow is quite lovely, the grey is too similar to PNSO's Zuul imo.

Exactly my thoughts. The paint scheme looks a bit less intricate than their Tianzhenosaurus though. Wish it had some subtle patterning like the Jurassic World Evolution Euoplocephalus. Some highlights in a different colour here and there would've served this figure very well.

thomasw100

Lana has the Euoplocephalus listed for 14.99 USD. Shipping will start around 22 April.

TlatolophusJuanorum

I really appreciate your kind comments avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator. Ornithopods are a highly underrated clad.
I hope you really like your orange Edmonto, Flaffy!
Now with those Euplocephalus they got a bit downgraded in paint schemes, although their orange version is quite interesting.

Concavenator

Those Euoplocephalus look lovely, but is it really Euoplocephalus or is it Scolosaurus cutleri?

The grey is my favorite of the two.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: