News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

One also has to wonder if and when Haolonggood will branch into pterosaurs, marine reptiles, and other non-dinosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

thomasw100

Quote from: suspsy on April 23, 2024, 08:19:21 PMOne also has to wonder if and when Haolonggood will branch into pterosaurs, marine reptiles, and other non-dinosaurs.

This will most likely depend on whether Haolonggood will consider models of these prehistoric animals economically attractive for them. Dinosaurs sell well to both children and adult collectors. This may not apply to the same extent to these other groups of animals. There is also the example of PNSO producing quite many marine reptiles (and sharks) for about 2 years and then stopping this completely. The question would be why they stopped. My guess would be that they did not sell so well and PNSO then focused on their core business of making dinosaur models.

Daspletodave

Quote from: Faelrin on April 23, 2024, 08:04:13 PMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator  Would be nice to see those tackled by them. As well as some of the species in the progress of being sculpted by Dan but never finished due to his passing. I think Europasaurus and Yutyrannus were among those, but can't remember the rest, other then the two ceratopsians mentioned.
Dan LoRusso had completed five new models which Battat never released- Pentaceratops, Nasutoceratops, Europasaurus, Gastonia, and Gigantoraptor.  He had just started work on 3 new models one of which was Plateosaurus. Photos of these models are on the Battat Terra pages.

Faelrin

D @Daspletodave Thanks for the info. I'll have to dig through the thread again at some point (edit: to revisit the pics of those done).

Edit: Found it here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.0

From what I gathered the full planned roster included:

-Europasaurus (finished prototype)
-Gastonia (finished prototype)
-Gigantoraptor (finished prototype)
-Majungasaurus (in progress)
-Nasutoceratops (finished prototype)
-Pentaceratops (finished prototype)
-Plateosaurus (in progress)
-Yutyrannus (in progress)

From what I can gather, it appears Dan passed away before the Majungasaurus, Plateosaurus, and Yutyrannus were finished. An image of the early wip progress of them: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.msg275297#msg275297

Edit 2: More repaints were planned as well, but never released, such as the:

-Dilophosaurus
-Diplodocus
-Edmontonia
-Maiasaura
-Ouranosaurus
-Pachycephalosaurus
-Styracosaurus
-Triceratops

I don't think Gallimimus and Utahraptor were planned as they would have required resculpts. That said Battat did release the Dilophosaurus and Utahraptor in the original colors after Dan's passing, but also made them into cheap electronic toys with exposed screw holes like those much disliked Hasbro JW figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on April 23, 2024, 07:37:41 PMFor smaller species they could make small dioramas with a variety of two or three genera just as with their Dilophosaurus pair. Not necessarily 1:35 scale, since the detail for them is not appreciated.
Imagine a wonderful Djadochta, Yixian or  Liaoning pack. Just a daydreaming thought...
I would love a Djadochta or Yixian set from Haolonggood!  I'd love to have dromaeosaurids and troodontids from those formations.  If Haolonggood sticks to larger animals though, I would very much like to have Utahraptor and Austroraptor from them!  I'd also love Deinonychus and Adasaurus from Haolonggood and I think they would be able to be decent-sized figures in 1:35 scale, perhaps they could be included in sets, such as Adasaurus with Zanabazar both of which are from the same ecosystem.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

V @vampiredesign im curious about your thoughts on sets of smaller creatures from a specific ecosystem as mentioned above, it always struck me as a perfect way to get some smaller critters in 1/35 and I'm kind of surprised no one has done it yet.

dragon53

Almost everyday I get an Aliexpress email advertising HLG dinosaurs at a very low price, but when when I click on the email, the Aliexpress website has the same HLG dinosaur for about double the email price.

After many of these email sale prices, I would like to know if anyone else is getting the same email sale prices. If so, am I missing something in the fine print?

EMAIL PRICE

WEBSITE PRICE

Concavenator

I would absolutely get 1:35 figures of small genera like Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Sinosauropteryx, Eoraptor, Stegouros, Scutellosaurus, etc. And I think there is market for them too. Wild Past may currently be in an uncertain position, but they make really nice figures of small animals in 1:35 scale. Other artists like Christopher Chávez also offer 3D resin prints of small animals like Buitreraptor, Eoraptor, Stegouros, etc. If more companies don't make 1:35 figures of small species, it might be because they think people might not be interested in such small models, but then, whenever Safari or CollectA releases a model of a small/smallish species at a larger scale than 1:35, some collectors complain about those figures being too big. And other collectors complain about a lack of small species in the current market (one that is mainly focused in 1:35 scale). This lack of small species is no good, either. So one arrives to the conclusion that 1:35 figures of those species would be the solution. If these models are released, there won't be complaints about these species' figures being too big, nor there will be complaints about small species being absent in the market. While the figures would certainly be small, I don't think the argument of those figures being "too small" makes much sense. They would be in the same scale as your average tyrannosaur, hadrosaur or ceratopsid figure, for example. What's more, it is really interesting to have a range of morphologically diverse (both in body plan and sizes) creatures in the same scale. That leads to a very natural-looking and realistic display. Imagine how cool would it be to have a 1:35 Velociraptor next to 1:35 sauropods like their Apatosaurus, Mamenchisaurus or Alamosaurus! And then a figure of a 1:35 human, for comparison. Wouldn't that be super cool?  :o

It would also be quite an innovative move by Haolonggood to make these small species in 1:35 scale. They've already proven the (now) old saying that claimed: "We no longer get big sauropod figures" wrong. We now do get big sauropod figures, and not simply big, these Haolonggood sauropods are in 1:35 scale, which makes them scale with most other dinosaur figures. Likewise, Haolonggood has now proved their skills when it comes to tackling relatively small species in 1:35 scale, like Chasmosaurus or Dilophosaurus. Could they get a step further and offer small species in 1:35 scale, too?  8) There is quite an opportunity there for Haolonggood to catch...

At least, I'd encourage them to simply give it a try. Release 1 or 2 1:35 figures of small species and see how well they do. Something like a Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Sinosauropteryx or Stegouros would make for a great starter.

- Velociraptor. Probably the most famous small dinosaur. No good 1:35 mass-produced figure of it exists.

- Deinonychus. Also a rather popular, important and well-known dinosaur, and was the inspiration behind the JP "Velociraptor". Since it was larger than Velociraptor, a 1:35 figure of it would presumably be easier to make. The Safari and Creative Beast are already fantastic figures of it... but they're larger than 1:35, so Haolonggood could take advantage here and make the first good 1:35 Deinonychus!

- Sinosauropteryx. One of the most well-known dinosaurs, we even know the coloration it had in real life. It's also of huge paleontological relevance for being the first non-avian dinosaur found with direct evidence of feathers. Yet no good figure of it exists, let alone one in 1:35. Would sell like hot cakes, especially in China considering how important it is.

- Stegouros. A unique, recently-described and already relatively famous ankylosaurian. It was stockier than the aforementioned theropods, so as a starter it might be easier to make. Would look great with Haolonggood's current ankylosaurs!

V @vampiredesign I think this would be an interesting read for you!  ;)

edu

It seems to me that the issue with small sized species in 1:35 scale might be related to costs. Their production cost must be similar to that of medium-sized species model, but you can't charge the same for them, resulting in a much lower profit margin.

Gwangi

D @dragon53 I don't get the emails but sometimes when I go to Aliexpress itself products are advertised for low prices but change when you click on them.

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2024, 12:15:41 PMI would absolutely get 1:35 figures of small genera like Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Sinosauropteryx, Eoraptor, Stegouros, Scutellosaurus, etc. And I think there is market for them too. Wild Past may currently be in an uncertain position, but they make really nice figures of small animals in 1:35 scale. Other artists like Christopher Chávez also offer 3D resin prints of small animals like Buitreraptor, Eoraptor, Stegouros, etc. If more companies don't make 1:35 figures of small species, it might be because they think people might not be interested in such small models, but then, whenever Safari or CollectA releases a model of a small/smallish species at a larger scale than 1:35, some collectors complain about those figures being too big. And other collectors complain about a lack of small species in the current market (one that is mainly focused in 1:35 scale). This lack of small species is no good, either. So one arrives to the conclusion that 1:35 figures of those species would be the solution. If these models are released, there won't be complaints about these species' figures being too big, nor there will be complaints about small species being absent in the market. While the figures would certainly be small, I don't think the argument of those figures being "too small" makes much sense. They would be in the same scale as your average tyrannosaur, hadrosaur or ceratopsid figure, for example. What's more, it is really interesting to have a range of morphologically diverse (both in body plan and sizes) creatures in the same scale. That leads to a very natural-looking and realistic display. Imagine how cool would it be to have a 1:35 Velociraptor next to 1:35 sauropods like their Apatosaurus, Mamenchisaurus or Alamosaurus! And then a figure of a 1:35 human, for comparison. Wouldn't that be super cool?  :o

It would also be quite an innovative move by Haolonggood to make these small species in 1:35 scale. They've already proven the (now) old saying that claimed: "We no longer get big sauropod figures" wrong. We now do get big sauropod figures, and not simply big, these Haolonggood sauropods are in 1:35 scale, which makes them scale with most other dinosaur figures. Likewise, Haolonggood has now proved their skills when it comes to tackling relatively small species in 1:35 scale, like Chasmosaurus or Dilophosaurus. Could they get a step further and offer small species in 1:35 scale, too?  8) There is quite an opportunity there for Haolonggood to catch...

At least, I'd encourage them to simply give it a try. Release 1 or 2 1:35 figures of small species and see how well they do. Something like a Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Sinosauropteryx or Stegouros would make for a great starter.

- Velociraptor. Probably the most famous small dinosaur. No good 1:35 mass-produced figure of it exists.

- Deinonychus. Also a rather popular, important and well-known dinosaur, and was the inspiration behind the JP "Velociraptor". Since it was larger than Velociraptor, a 1:35 figure of it would presumably be easier to make. The Safari and Creative Beast are already fantastic figures of it... but they're larger than 1:35, so Haolonggood could take advantage here and make the first good 1:35 Deinonychus!

- Sinosauropteryx. One of the most well-known dinosaurs, we even know the coloration it had in real life. It's also of huge paleontological relevance for being the first non-avian dinosaur found with direct evidence of feathers. Yet no good figure of it exists, let alone one in 1:35. Would sell like hot cakes, especially in China considering how important it is.

- Stegouros. A unique, recently-described and already relatively famous ankylosaurian. It was stockier than the aforementioned theropods, so as a starter it might be easier to make. Would look great with Haolonggood's current ankylosaurs!

V @vampiredesign I think this would be an interesting read for you!  ;)

I think that Haolonggood is carefully and step by step testing how far down in size they can go and still produce great looking figures. Their Kosmoceratops is really small and although they stated last year that Kentrosaurus would be too small they will be releasing a Huayangosaurus that is probably about the same size as Kentrosaurus. I would expect that they would eventually try Utahraptor, Dakotaraptor or Austroraptor and then go from there. The greatest challenge with small figures is not the sculpting (all done digitally) and the molding, but actually the painting. You want the paint application look as detailed and nice as it looks for larger figures. And this is very difficult. Look for example at the CollectA Fukuisaurus in comparison to some of their other 1:40 scale models. The painting looks much simpler and less detailed, and I would think because it is very difficult to apply paint onto small models either by robots or by hand.

Daspletodave

Whenever anybody says a company should make small dinosaurs, what they are really fixating on is raptors! Boring! There are already dozens of figures of Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Velociraptor, etc.  I notice no one ever suggests Lesothosaurus, Heterodontosaurus, Stegoceras, Hypsilophodon, Parksosaurus, or Thescelosaurus, NONE of which has ever been done in plastic. By the way, a 1:35 scale raptor would be the size of your thumb.
HLG should stick to making medium and large size dinos- prosauropods, sauropods, ankylosaurs, nodosaurs, stegosaurs, ceratopsians, iguanodontids, hadrosaurs, and a few theropods. There is more than enough scope there to keep HLG busy for years.

postsaurischian

C:-)  Just a short reminder that this is the "HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024" thread.
       If you want to hope and dream, go to the "HAOLONGGOOD - Hopes and Dreams" thread!
       https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10800.160

Sim

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 24, 2024, 02:26:47 PMWhenever anybody says a company should make small dinosaurs, what they are really fixating on is raptors! Boring! There are already dozens of figures of Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Velociraptor, etc.
Just because you're not interested in more dromaeosaurid figures doesn't make them boring.  Dromaeosaurids were one of the most successful types of dinosaur.  They existed for all of the Cretaceous, in contrast to groups like hadrosaurids, ceratopsids and tyrannosaurids, all of which only existed in the Late Cretaceous.  Dromaeosaurids were an important part of Cretaceous ecosystems and they vary a lot in form showing variety and adapability.  They were also intelligent.  And the only non-bird dinosaur known to be capable of powered flight is the dromaeosaurid Microraptor.  If all that doesn't make them interesting to you, it's just a matter of taste and they are not actually boring.  Also, they look elegant and awesome!
There are only very few good figures of Deinonychus, Utahraptor and Velociraptor, in the case of the first two only one good figure of them is actually released.  There are no 1:35 good figures of any dromaeosaurid and it's egotistical to dismiss that family when other people want figures of them that are lacking.

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 24, 2024, 02:26:47 PMI notice no one ever suggests Lesothosaurus, Heterodontosaurus, Stegoceras, Hypsilophodon, Parksosaurus, or Thescelosaurus, NONE of which has ever been done in plastic.
All of these have been made as plastic figures except for Lesothosaurus.

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 24, 2024, 02:26:47 PMBy the way, a 1:35 scale raptor would be the size of your thumb.
The largest dromaeosaurids such as Utahraptor and Austroraptor would be much larger than that, they would even be bigger than some of the ceratopsians, stegosaurians and ankylosaurians Haolonggood has made or is making.  Deinonychus and Adasaurus in 1:35 would be the same size as the small Beasts of the Mesozoic dromaeosaurids.  And for smaller species, I've even seen avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) request a Safari good luck mini Microraptor (Which would be 1:40 scale at that size).  There is interest in small dromaeosaurid figures.

Quote from: Daspletodave on April 24, 2024, 02:26:47 PMHLG should stick to making medium and large size dinos- prosauropods, sauropods, ankylosaurs, nodosaurs, stegosaurs, ceratopsians, iguanodontids, hadrosaurs, and a few theropods. There is more than enough scope there to keep HLG busy for years.
After a while of the same thing over and over, it becomes a word you used earlier, "boring".

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I agree with you. A modern take on Austroraptor in particular is much needed. Especially after its recent inclusion in Prehistoric Planet 2.

That said I also agree with D @Daspletodave partly. As far as those smaller ornithischians go, many of those were made years ago and could certainly use a new figure, particularly since for most, if not all, are the only options:

-Heterodontosaurus (1972 Inpro)
-Hypsilophodon (2012 CollectA)
-Parksosaurus (2012 or 2013 Vivid Toys Walking with Dinosaurs movie)
-Thescelosaurus (2012 Geoworld Jurassic Hunters)

Only one I'm not sure on is Stegoceras, but I think I recall there being a figure in avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres collection thread recently, will need to revisit. Some don't have a single figure to my knowledge yet, but contributed to paleontology in significant ways, such as:

-Dryosaurus (part of the Morrison formation)
-Kulindadromeus (partly feathered and scaly)
-Minimocursor (good remains, described last year)
-Oryctodromeus (first burrowing dinosaur discovered)
-Nanosaurus (part of the Morrison formation)

There's probably others too, but these are some of the ones I'm most familiar with, if not most wanted as well. Many of these species I was hoping PNSO would do if they would ever return to making minis, but it doesn't seem they will. Would be great to see Haolonggood contribute on this front. I mean they have been very good with their output of ornithischians (and sauropods) so far, so fingers crossed they dip into doing some smaller ones.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I know of only two Deinonychus, two Utahraptor, and two Velociraptor toys that can truly be called good, and they're from Creative Beast Studio and Safari Ltd. That's really not an impressive number, not to mention that the CB versions aren't exactly cheap. I think Haolonggood or PNSO could easily knock that ball out of the park.

And when it comes to ornithomimosaurs, there's even fewer truly good toys, and most of them are of Deinocheirus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 24, 2024, 01:52:34 PMI think that Haolonggood is carefully and step by step testing how far down in size they can go and still produce great looking figures.
That's the feeling I have too.  I'm very happy about this, Haolonggood is producing some of the best dinosaur figures and also doing new things in this hobby that makes them stand out.

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 24, 2024, 01:52:34 PMTheir Kosmoceratops is really small and although they stated last year that Kentrosaurus would be too small they will be releasing a Huayangosaurus that is probably about the same size as Kentrosaurus.
Huayangosaurus is the same size as Kentrosaurus or smaller than it so I think a Kentrosaurus from Haolonggood will be coming eventually!

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 24, 2024, 01:52:34 PMI would expect that they would eventually try Utahraptor, Dakotaraptor or Austroraptor and then go from there.
I hope so!  Size shouldn't be an obstacle for these species, as I mentioned earlier they are larger than some of Haolonggood's existing species.

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 24, 2024, 01:52:34 PMThe greatest challenge with small figures is not the sculpting (all done digitally) and the molding, but actually the painting. You want the paint application look as detailed and nice as it looks for larger figures. And this is very difficult. Look for example at the CollectA Fukuisaurus in comparison to some of their other 1:40 scale models. The painting looks much simpler and less detailed, and I would think because it is very difficult to apply paint onto small models either by robots or by hand.
I have the CollectA Fukuisaurus and I don't think it suffers from an inferior paintjob.  It's not as small as the smaller species we've been discussing would be in 1:35 though.  Kaiyodo has made some small prehistoric animal figures though and their paintjobs can be very good.

Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2024, 12:15:41 PMOther artists like Christopher Chávez also offer 3D resin prints of small animals like Buitreraptor, Eoraptor, Stegouros, etc.
I didn't know he made Buitreraptor and Eoraptor.  I looked up his Buitreraptor and it looks AMAZING!  I just don't collect resin figures.  I hope Haolonggood makes a Buitreraptor one day. :)

Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2024, 12:15:41 PMWhat's more, it is really interesting to have a range of morphologically diverse (both in body plan and sizes) creatures in the same scale. That leads to a very natural-looking and realistic display. Imagine how cool would it be to have a 1:35 Velociraptor next to 1:35 sauropods like their Apatosaurus, Mamenchisaurus or Alamosaurus! And then a figure of a 1:35 human, for comparison. Wouldn't that be super cool?  :o
Yes!

Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2024, 12:15:41 PMAt least, I'd encourage them to simply give it a try. Release 1 or 2 1:35 figures of small species and see how well they do. Something like a Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Sinosauropteryx or Stegouros would make for a great starter.
Out of the species you listed, I think Sinosauropteryx would be too small to make in 1:35 scale...  I think Deinonychus and/or Velociraptor would be the best starters as they have immense popularity.

dragon53

GWANGI:

As I said earlier, I'm getting these Aliexpress/HLG emails almost everyday. It seems like bait-and-switch to me with the email advertising a HLG dinosaur for around $8, but click on the email and it's $16 on the website.

Carnoking

I've noticed some stores have "welcome sales" where one item from your first order from them is x percent off. I remember having one such figure in my cart but when I logged in to pay, the discount disappeared since I had already ordered from the store a time or two. Could that be the case for these ads you're seeing?

Gwangi

Quote from: Carnoking on April 25, 2024, 12:14:34 AMI've noticed some stores have "welcome sales" where one item from your first order from them is x percent off. I remember having one such figure in my cart but when I logged in to pay, the discount disappeared since I had already ordered from the store a time or two. Could that be the case for these ads you're seeing?

That's probably what I'm seeing, that makes sense.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: