News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 24, 2024, 02:41:04 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on April 24, 2024, 01:51:11 PMHere we go again

Just ignore it?  It's just like a lot of others, using a situation to get views.

Excuse me, what?

We got mentioned on DinosDragons's video review of the PNSO Edmontosaurus (17:00), precisely because the debate on which species it's meant to represent was one of its topics.

Even L @Leyster  got some requests here on the forum.

In the meantime, we received multiple DMs, one sent by avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator and shared here.
Then, since we decided to make an Instagram reel, we used the sticker and replied to Concavenator's public comment.

Finally, we asked a question to offer some food for thought, let's see what happens.

It's called interaction, and we put a lot of effort into this reel, integrating it with Dr. Filippo Bertozzo's insights, so I'm trying hard not to be offended.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thanks for sharing that, and thanks to work involved by avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx and anyone else. I'm a visual learner and this was very helpful to help me discern. Same as when I was helped with the Haolonggood Edmontosaurus.

It's nice to see an option for this species on the market after all this time (other then the Ancestors one, although beautiful). Now if only someone would be bold enough to make a figure of T. prorsus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Alway when this thread shows up on top of the list I hope for a new release, but alas not yet.

Sim

I'm keen on seeing a new release from PNSO too, it's unusual to be so far into a month with nothing from them.

Carnoking

Little sale going on on the Lufengosaurus over on Amazon already. I put an order in, so I'm all but certain we'll get a new release tomorrow or shortly thereafter!

Faelrin

Looks like Meraxes and company are still on sale. Hoping I can pick one of them up since I get paid in a few more days (assuming they are still on sale then). Not sure what to go for though. Gorgosaurus, Meraxes, or Alamosaurus, or the new Lufengosaurus?

Edit: Or should I pick up the HC Carnotaurus instead?

Edit 2: Early birthday present to myself, that sort of thing.

Ludodactylus

Quote from: Faelrin on April 25, 2024, 01:22:49 AMLooks like Meraxes and company are still on sale. Hoping I can pick one of them up since I get paid in a few more days (assuming they are still on sale then). Not sure what to go for though. Gorgosaurus, Meraxes, or Alamosaurus, or the new Lufengosaurus?

The Meraxes is a gorgeous figure that stands out among PNSO's mass of beige theropods. That would be my vote.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Ludodactylus on April 25, 2024, 01:49:26 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on April 25, 2024, 01:22:49 AMLooks like Meraxes and company are still on sale. Hoping I can pick one of them up since I get paid in a few more days (assuming they are still on sale then). Not sure what to go for though. Gorgosaurus, Meraxes, or Alamosaurus, or the new Lufengosaurus?

The Meraxes is a gorgeous figure that stands out among PNSO's mass of beige theropods. That would be my vote.

no lips tho.. but that's just me

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Leyster on April 24, 2024, 06:24:26 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 24, 2024, 02:41:04 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on April 24, 2024, 01:51:11 PMHere we go again

Just ignore it?  It's just like a lot of others, using a situation to get views.
The person which did this video, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx , put a lot of time and effort in it and consulted actual hadrosaur researchers and this is why the video took so long to be out, if we wanted to capitalize the model we would've thrown a half-done video ages ago. So could you be a little more respectful? Not to mind that people were actually asking us to dig into the matter...

I probably could have. Honestly I didn't even do more than see what it was about in the title and groaned inwardly and passed by.  I read so many posts about this one issue it all just ran together and I just wasn't concerned about which it was after the first couple pages of reading. As I said I'm just being honest. There are several videos and facebook posts about it as well. Carnoking seemed as put off as I myself am regarding this subject so I gave a general reply to what I assumed was yet another post on the subject. I do apologize.

Flaffy

From a purely collectors logistic standpoint the HC Carnotaurus. Mattel is well known to retire stuff without warning, with many retired HC figures reaching high prices on the aftermarket. Of course the flip side would be Mattel overproducing shelf-warmers, and you'll be kicking yourself when they go on 50% off sale.

As for PNSO? I'd say Meraxes or Lufengosaurus. The former as avatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus mentioned is one of the most uniquely painted PNSO theropods, while the latter is a Prosauropod (rarely produced and always a plus). Both figures are stunning from what I've seen, so you couldn't really go wrong with either.

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I second avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy 's suggestion, out of those figures you mention, I'd also say Meraxes or Lufengosaurus. If you don't mind liplessness, PNSO's Meraxes is great (and not brown!) and close to 1:35 too. That said, I think it is likely we will be getting a lipped Meraxes at some point, so I'd get the Lufengosaurus first. I don't think it gets better for a Lufengosaurus specifically than the PNSO.

TlatolophusJuanorum

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I join the suggestions by  going with Lufengosaurus and Gorgosaurus, their sculpt and paint scheme are awesome!
As avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator says, there are rare opportunities on getting good prosauropods Lufengosaurus aside.

Flaffy

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on April 25, 2024, 05:03:27 PMavatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I join the suggestions by  going with Lufengosaurus and Gorgosaurus, their sculpt and paint scheme are awesome!
As avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator says, there are rare opportunities on getting good prosauropods Lufengosaurus aside.

I personally didn't go for PNSO's Gorgosaurus due to:
1) Liplessness - While I can somewhat tolerate it on allosauroids, Coelurosaurs without lips just looks weird to me.
2) Specimen choice - I believe the specimen depicted is of a subadult. While nothing inherently wrong about that, I personally tend to go for the adults when available (in this case the BotM Gorgosaurus).

I think the Lufengosaurus works as a Yunnanosaurus as well?

Joel1905

My recommendations would be the Alamosaurus & Lufengosaurus. I'd hold off on getting their non-Spinosaurid lipless theropods due to...

1. After the Cullen et al paper, its highly likely that all non-Spinosaurid theropods had lips.
2. PNSO will very likely remake those species in the near future with the addition of lips.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if PNSO don't release a lipped Tyrannosaurus Rex, Giganotosaurus and an updated Carnotaurus (also with lips) over the next 12-18 months.

At the end of the day, the big name theropods sell.

Carnoking

The Alamosaurus is easily the most bang for your Buck out the lot. It's almost worth getting another one at that price!

Concavenator

Quote from: Joel1905 on April 25, 2024, 07:22:29 PM2. PNSO will very likely remake those species in the near future with the addition of lips.

Tyrannosaurus, obviously yes, not so sure about the rest. Carnotaurus and Giganotosaurus just perhaps, but not really seeing them re-releasing Meraxes, Allosaurus (no, I'm not counting the Saurophaganax) or Acrocanthosaurus, with lips, for instance.

Sim

I don't think PNSO will remake all their lipless theropods in the near future.  PNSO hasn't remade figures that have other "outdated" features such as more defined scales or cheeks on ornithopods.  Figures with those characteristics are from 2020 and PNSO changed these features in 2021.  So it's about three years now and those older-fashioned species haven't been remade.

I think PNSO will remake theropods with lips if they think there's enough demand for them.  Tyrannosaurus I think will happen although I'm not sure when.  The others are uncertain in my opinion.  I doubt PNSO will remake unpopular figures such as their Daspletosaurus and Sinraptor.  I also doubt PNSO will remake obscure species such as Meraxes, Albertosaurus and Lythronax.  I can't imagine these species having enough popularity to make PNSO decide to remake them.  Also, I think PNSO would prefer not to remake figures generally, which is why they made Saurophaganax and not a lipped Allosaurus despite the latter's immense popularity.  Maybe in the distant future PNSO will remake these other species.  That's what I think.

Quote from: Joel1905 on April 25, 2024, 07:22:29 PMI'd hold off on getting their non-Spinosaurid lipless theropods due to...

1. After the Cullen et al paper, its highly likely that all non-Spinosaurid theropods had lips.
2. PNSO will very likely remake those species in the near future with the addition of lips.
The toothless theropods are believed to not possess lips, the extant ones certainly don't have lips.

Faelrin

Aside from Carnotaurus at this point (mainly because of the integument), I think the only two in real need of remakes at this time is Dunkleosteus (shorter body), and maybe Amargasaurus (sail). I agree with avatar_Sim @Sim that I can't see them remaking some of their recent models anytime soon, and I hope they would focus on new things for the time being, and then maybe eventually remake them. Tyrannosaurus is certainly one I could see them doing it with because of being the most popular dinosaur, and it is mainly what the paper was in regards to.

I'm not as bothered by the Meraxes (and other carcharodontosaurs) being lipless, as I am with tyrannosaurs at this moment (even it they likely had them too).

Also thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Still tough to decide, but I have a few more days to wait anyways before I am paid. I'll probably only be able to get one for the time being, maybe two at most. It looks like Alamosaurus, Meraxes, and/or Lufengosaurus are the ones to certainly go for based on the suggestions. Alamosaurus would probably fit alongside any Hell Creek fauna and otherwise. Meraxes, I don't have anything to display it with (and aside from the recent PNSO Mapusaurus, not many figures of the fauna from the Huincul Formation), but it's a fine figure in its own right. With Lufengosaurus, I truly hope they can do a Sinosaurus (and if not them, perhaps Haolonggood). Sinosaurus lived alongside it, and has had a recent paper on it looking at it into detail recently.

Now that I think about it, Dapeng the Yangchuanosaurus would be another good choice to get too. I'm not sure if it co-existed with it, but I do have the PNSO Huayangosaurus, and it is from the same formation, and PNSO also has their Tuojiangosaurus I'm behind on. Never mind the beautiful Mamenchisaurus Haolonggood just released. Hopefully there is a new Chungkingosaurus as the only option I'm aware of is in the older PNSO Museum line two pack with Yangchuanosaurus.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Faelrin on April 25, 2024, 08:41:31 PMNow that I think about it, Dapeng the Yangchuanosaurus would be another good choice to get too. I'm not sure if it co-existed with it, but I do have the PNSO Huayangosaurus, and it is from the same formation, and PNSO also has their Tuojiangosaurus I'm behind on. Never mind the beautiful Mamenchisaurus Haolonggood just released. Hopefully there is a new Chungkingosaurus as the only option I'm aware of is in the older PNSO Museum line two pack with Yangchuanosaurus.
It does came from the Shaximiao formation, as do Huayangosaurus, Chungkingosaurus, and Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis. Hopefully this year PNSO delivers an updated sculpt Chungkingosaurus, but Y.magnus is a beautiful figure I recommend getting if you are interested in this interesting formation! I am planning on getting both Haolonggood's Mamenchisaurus and PNSOs Dapeng the Yangchuanosaurus magnus

oscars_dinos

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on April 25, 2024, 10:54:15 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on April 25, 2024, 08:41:31 PMNow that I think about it, Dapeng the Yangchuanosaurus would be another good choice to get too. I'm not sure if it co-existed with it, but I do have the PNSO Huayangosaurus, and it is from the same formation, and PNSO also has their Tuojiangosaurus I'm behind on. Never mind the beautiful Mamenchisaurus Haolonggood just released. Hopefully there is a new Chungkingosaurus as the only option I'm aware of is in the older PNSO Museum line two pack with Yangchuanosaurus.
It does came from the Shaximiao formation, as do Huayangosaurus, Chungkingosaurus, and Mamenchisaurus hochuanensis. Hopefully this year PNSO delivers an updated sculpt Chungkingosaurus, but Y.magnus is a beautiful figure I recommend getting if you are interested in this interesting formation! I am planning on getting both Haolonggood's Mamenchisaurus and PNSOs Dapeng the Yangchuanosaurus magnus

I got the Dapeng this sale and I honestly think its the best bang for your buck, its bigger than one might think, its scientifically accurate, and for 20 bucks its honestly a steal. I also got the Tsintaosaurus which for 30 dollars I was still somewhat... disappointed is a lil extreme but... either way what a good sale hope pnso does this more.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: