News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FerretGoose

I hope that there's an option to buy the babies separately too! I'd love to make a little diorama with the mother and a few babies following her!  :))

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on May 14, 2024, 04:00:10 PMGlad to see a new Maiasaura being available on the market, but a damn shame it's the outdated and innaccurate hornlet reconstruction. Battat's original Maiasaura still reigns supreme, a testimate to how strong those sculpts were.

Interstingly even the Carnegie Maiasaura features the joint crest reconstruction, though slightly crude for modern standards.

It appears that PNSO does a much more thorough research when developing a new model. One can see this clearly when watching the videos by Zhao Chang describing how a model was developed. My understanding was that Haolonggood wanted to get input from advisors on the scientific accuracy of their prototypes. We saw some of this in relation to the Euoplocephalus and the Stegosaurus ungulatus, but nothing after that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 14, 2024, 05:14:44 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 14, 2024, 04:00:10 PMGlad to see a new Maiasaura being available on the market, but a damn shame it's the outdated and innaccurate hornlet reconstruction. Battat's original Maiasaura still reigns supreme, a testimate to how strong those sculpts were.

Interstingly even the Carnegie Maiasaura features the joint crest reconstruction, though slightly crude for modern standards.

It appears that PNSO does a much more thorough research when developing a new model. One can see this clearly when watching the videos by Zhao Chang describing how a model was developed. My understanding was that Haolonggood wanted to get input from advisors on the scientific accuracy of their prototypes. We saw some of this in relation to the Euoplocephalus and the Stegosaurus ungulatus, but nothing after that.

Despite it's research, PNSO does also make mistakes. Maybe this is . like the Ouranosaurus, something they will update?

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2024, 05:52:01 PM

Despite it's research, PNSO does also make mistakes. Maybe this is . like the Ouranosaurus, something they will update?

Where did I say that PNSO would not make mistakes? I just said that PNSO appears to do more research and they are able to communicate why they designed their model the way they did. This is called transparency and a hallmark of a scientific approach. And yet I very much like this approach. And there is a difference between obviously incorrect features and features which are subject to different scientific views and interpretations. The research costs may actually be one component of the higher prices of PNSO models.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2024, 05:52:01 PMMaybe this is . like the Ouranosaurus, something they will update?

Hopefully. But it is a shame the mistake was still made as the issue was already brought up when the initial poster was revealed back in early April.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Honestly, I can get over the inaccuracy given just how beautiful the model is and how adorable that baby is!

Faelrin

I can't believe they are having it come with a baby. I wish the Chasmosaurus had one too, but man I'm so excited for this set. Been wanting a Maiasaura for years now. Sure it has some anatomical quirks like the Ouranosaurus, and it would have been nice for it to be correct from the start, but that isn't enough to detract me from wanting to pick these up. Who knows how long the wait would be otherwise. I really appreciate V @vampiredesign /Haolonggood listening to our requests and making these models. Now I'm looking forward to seeing that Amargasaurus (and the others).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on May 14, 2024, 06:23:39 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2024, 05:52:01 PMMaybe this is . like the Ouranosaurus, something they will update?

Hopefully. But it is a shame the mistake was still made as the issue was already brought up when the initial poster was revealed back in early April.
Just want to throw this out there, but as V @vampiredesign said, he'd extremely busy. I wouldn't expect him to read every message precisely. Sure he may look at feedback, but with a thread composed of over 40 pages of conversations do you really expect him to read every single message.

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 14, 2024, 06:09:06 PM

Where did I say that PNSO would not make mistakes? I just said that PNSO appears to do more research and they are able to communicate why they designed their model the way they did.
I feel like this is heavily opinionated with an assumption. How do we know that  Haolonggood does not do an equal amount of research? Both companies make mistakes and I'd argue it's unfair to assume one or the other doesn't do enough research.

I think we're being too spoiled as of lately, which has ruined the our awareness of appreciating figures we've been asking for to be finally delivered!

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on May 14, 2024, 09:11:18 PM

Just want to throw this out there, but as V @vampiredesign said, he'd extremely busy. I wouldn't expect him to read every message precisely. Sure he may look at feedback, but with a thread composed of over 40 pages of conversations do you really expect him to read every single message.

Where did I say that PNSO would not make mistakes? I just said that PNSO appears to do more research and they are able to communicate why they designed their model the way they did.
I feel like this is heavily opinionated with an assumption. How do we know that  Haolonggood does not do an equal amount of research? Both companies make mistakes and I'd argue it's unfair to assume one or the other doesn't do enough research.

I think we're being too spoiled as of lately, which has ruined the our awareness of appreciating figures we've been asking for to be finally delivered!

As you are accusing me of being unfair in my statement, I just say that PNSO is documenting the research they have done through the videos and also through the information in the booklets that come with their models, whereas Haolonggood is not documenting anything in public. And as the saying goes science becomes only science when it gets published.

Concavenator

Two things:

- I agree with avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy . Unlike the Ouranosaurus situation, they already had the knowledge about this accuracy aspect this time around. If they didn't fix it from the get-go, I doubt they will be fixing it later, but of course if it happens that would be very welcome. As with the Amargasaurus, I don't understand why they didn't prioritise other figures and took the necessary time to fix those two models, there's no hurry. As I said, it is sensible to prioritise quality over quantity, and for a "scientic" company like Haolonggood, that most definitely includes scientific accuracy. For example, I highly doubt Eofauna would ever announce a figure they would know has any inaccuracy. Paleoartistic references were even provided to Haolonggood*. As for the modification that would have needed to take place, it is pretty simple itself. As avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy pointed out, they could have simply united the two hornlets into a single structure (as Battat/Carnegie did), and that's it. However, as trivial as this may look for some people, this is a detail that makes the figure not completely accurate. As described by Horner, Weishampel & Forster (2004):

QuoteIn Maiasaura...the caudal nasals form a transversely oriented crest located dorsal to the orbit...the frontal makes a significant contribution to the crest.

And indeed, for some people, this apparently trivial inaccuracy is something that could shift the figure from, categorically speaking, "inaccurate" to "accurate". Same with the Amargasaurus. And for that very reason, in these two cases, it would be especially important for these fixes to take place, if possible. Otherwise, these otherwise great figures could be in a disadvantaged position to potential additional figures of the genera by other scientifically accurate figure makers. And that would be a shame, no need for that to happen. And again, it is also kind of a shame because as with the Amargasaurus, it's definitely not every day that a new figure of this species is released. If it's something like a Tyrannosaurus, no matter if a specific figure doesn't get everything on point, by the next day year there will be more options which have the potential to surpass it. Not with a case like this.

I frankly don't see the point in showing WIPs to your fans if you can't modify the models upon (justifiable) requests.  ???

- This Maiasaura variant looks very similar to the green variants of Ouranosaurus and Tlatolophus. Why not add a little more variety? Something like those designer editions would be great. And I mean by color schemes, not paint app complexity as I understand it is not feasible to produce such gorgeously painted figures on a global scale. But this green ornithopod variant thing is getting repetitive, better try different colors and patters. Or take inspiration from BotM, they take inspiration from extant species and are able to pull out visually interesting and markedly different (between the different figures) color schemes.

- Having said all of this, I do admit I'm very happy to see a new Maiasaura figure! We now do have a readily-available figure of one of the most important (and overdue) hadrosaurids, not to say arguably most relevant paleontological discoveries of all time. And it is a figure I intend to pick up, unless the more accurate Wild Past version ends up being released. Alas, I was hoping HLG's Maiasaura wouldn't have the hornlets nor a baby, and it does have both.  :P Well, if I end up getting it I will be selling the baby and I will be commissioning a crest fix for the adult. But as with the Amargasaurus, I'd rather not have to go through this kind of thing often, mainly because what initially are pretty affordable figures end up being less so. So yeah, a fix would be appreciated.

Nonetheless, as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin  said, it is clear V @vampiredesign does care about our interests as a community, the choice of species very clearly states so. And that is indeed worth praising and something to be thankful for.

* And even literature, but I understand that they may have trouble understanding English. But with the paleoart examples, it was more than enough. At the end of the day, resources were provided by the fans.

P.S. If the Maiasaura and/or Amargasaurus do end up being fixed post-release, I hope there won't be complaints about it. No other company would be willing to do such a change.

bmathison1972

Oooo. I like this Maiasaura, and that it comes with a juvenile is an extra bonus. I normally don't go out of my way to collect immatures of stand alone adults, at least of vertebrates lol, but will when they come paired with adults like this.

Concavenator

And we get a glimpse at the Stego too.

Pic courtesy of Paleofiguras.

ceratopsian

I'd definitely like two juveniles for aesthetic balance.

Gwangi

I have little doubt that this will be my new favorite Stegosaurus.

Sim

I find saurolophine hadrosaurids the most uninteresting dinosaurs.  We've had PNSO and Haolonggood's Edmontosaurus and now Haolonggood's Maiasaura, I'll be glad once we're past it too.  I'm very interested in the Haolonggood Stegosaurus, it looks like it will be next!  I hope it becomes available soon!

Wally-217

Quote from: Bread on May 14, 2024, 09:11:18 PM

In fairness PNSO was founded by a highly established paleoartist. VampireDesigns is an amazing artist in their own right but I'm not sure if they did have the same scientific background. While HLG have grown rapidly, I still view them as an "independant" studio, and especially considering the prices, I do hold them to a much different standard than PNSO. I also think it's completely fair for HLG to have their own artistic liberties, and it's also fair to vote with your wallet. There could be dozens of reasons behind inaccuracies, especially as public perceptions lag massively behind scientific advancement. I'm not really sure it's feasible to ask for retooling of models approaching production. Those kinds of costs are going to eat away at profit margins.

Halichoeres

It's not at all obvious to me from this photo that the crest is wrong. To me it looks like there is a continuous bar across the head, with only a very slight embellishments at the ends, over the eyes. That seems like a plausible soft tissue elaboration on the basic crosswise crest. It's possible I'm mistaken, I'd have to see it from a couple more angles to be sure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Primeval12

Another one that I will be getting as soon as it comes out despite the apparent inaccuracies. I love it!

Gwangi

The Maiasaura is still recognizably a Maiasaura and with how long it has been since we've gotten a figure of one I can live with the minor inaccuracies on an otherwise excellent figure.

suspsy

I really couldn't care less about the lack of a proper ridge on the head. It's the first Maiasaura toy we've gotten in ages.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: