News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What swimming animals would we like from PNSO?

Started by Sim, May 18, 2024, 10:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like?

Ambulocetus
9 (37.5%)
Aquilolamna
9 (37.5%)
Askeptosaurus
4 (16.7%)
Basilosaurus new version
9 (37.5%)
Brachauchenius
8 (33.3%)
Cartorhynchus
7 (29.2%)
Cryptoclidus
12 (50%)
Edestus
10 (41.7%)
Hydrotherosaurus
4 (16.7%)
Leedsichthys
12 (50%)
Megalneusaurus
5 (20.8%)
Muraenosaurus
9 (37.5%)
Ophthalmosaurus new version
8 (33.3%)
Orthacanthus
4 (16.7%)
Platypterygius
8 (33.3%)
Shonisaurus
14 (58.3%)
Stratodus
7 (29.2%)
Tiktaalik
14 (58.3%)
Pliosaurus
5 (20.8%)
Prionosuchus
9 (37.5%)
Guizhouichthyosaurus
2 (8.3%)
Xinpusaurus
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Sim

Vote for as many as you like!  I really hope PNSO makes a new Basilosaurus!

Concavenator

Voted for Basilosaurus, Shonisaurus, Tiktaalik, Aquilolamna and Ambulocetus.

Not holding my breath for the last three but the first two might have their chances. Basilosaurus especially, since PNSO has been updating some of their older models. And if the Lyviatan is anything to go by, a new Basilosaurus by PNSO would be delightful!

DinoToyForum

Have they released any long-necked plesiosaur to date?

Concavenator

Quote from: DinoToyForum on May 18, 2024, 11:06:59 PMHave they released any long-necked plesiosaur to date?

Off the top of my head I don't think so.

Turkeysaurus

"Triassic Kraken" Museum Line.. with Shonisaurus bones stand. >:D

Any long necked would be fine.
Spoiler
loch ness monster museum line
[close]

Sim

Quote from: DinoToyForum on May 18, 2024, 11:06:59 PMHave they released any long-necked plesiosaur to date?
No!  I really hope that changes.

Pliosaurking

Pliosaurus, Prionosuchus and if it counts Purussaurus.

Sim

Quote from: Pliosaurking on May 19, 2024, 06:09:51 PMPliosaurus, Prionosuchus and if it counts Purussaurus.
I've now added these three to the poll!

Sim

I've removed Purussaurus from the poll as I think it will fit better in the last poll category.  It wasn't doing much swimming after all!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 19, 2024, 01:01:31 PM

It seems like a glaring omission and a long-necked plesiosaur would be popular with punters - if this isn't just my bias talking! It's not particularly 'necky' but I'd like to see a Cryptoclidus. For such a well-known species, both scientifically speaking but also culturally speaking since its appearance in Walking With Dinosaurs, there are surprisingly few (any!?) toys of it.

CarnotaurusKing

I would add Guizhouichthyosaurus. It's known from multiple well-preserved specimens (which apparently indicate two morphotypes), it's from China, it's a pretty big animal, and one specimen with preserved gut contents shows that it fed on the thalattosaur Xinpusaurus (which I would also like PNSO to make, it's one of the weirdest animals ever). I'm often opposed to the Museum Line with its exorbitant prices and often extraneous supplementary materials, but a Guizhouichthyosaurus with a Xinpusaurus accessory could help justify the price. Though I would prefer both or either of them in the Prehistoric Animals line.

Concavenator

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum It is a very glaring omission indeed, but so is the absence of Velociraptor (and Eudromaeosauria as a whole!  :o ), Dilophosaurus, etc, from their portfolio. If they eventually launch a figure of a long-necked plesiosaur, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the go-to option aka Elasmosaurus:P Which hopefully won't be the case, Safari's version is top-notch already and AFAIK Elasmosaurus has poor remains.

Looking at the results so far, I'm glad to see Shonisaurus doing well! Please, let somebody make it justice.

Sim

I too think a long-necked plesiosaur would sell well.  They are popular, I remember even in one of Dinosdragons videos a long-necked plesiosaur from PNSO was requested.  And as Concavenator has said, the lack of eudromaeosaurians is a glaring omission too.  And the lack of pterosaurs...  PNSO is great, but I feel they've made too much from certain groups and nothing from others.  It's frustrating.

Guizhouichthyosaurus and Xinpusaurus have been added to the poll.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on May 20, 2024, 08:30:55 PMPNSO is great, but I feel they've made too much from certain groups and nothing from others.  It's frustrating.

Yeah and that applies to HLG too.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 20, 2024, 08:30:55 PMPNSO is great, but I feel they've made too much from certain groups and nothing from others.  It's frustrating.

2 good reason comes to my mind:

1-) I think most people want to buy big carnivores and some famous herbivores. Less famous and non-dinosaurs are risky.
2-) They produced all the lipless carnivores quickly so they can sell again with lips in next few years. (Before some paper suggests they were actually lipless again.. )

BlueKrono

Quote from: Concavenator on May 20, 2024, 08:07:06 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum It is a very glaring omission indeed, but so is the absence of Velociraptor (and Eudromaeosauria as a whole!  :o ), Dilophosaurus, etc, from their portfolio. If they eventually launch a figure of a long-necked plesiosaur, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the go-to option aka Elasmosaurus:P Which hopefully won't be the case, Safari's version is top-notch already and AFAIK Elasmosaurus has poor remains.

Looking at the results so far, I'm glad to see Shonisaurus doing well! Please, let somebody make it justice.

We just got a Shastasaurus last year. Aren't the two extremely close?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

I just had a thought considering Chinese plesiosaurs: PNSO could make a Sinopliosaurus plesiosaur ;D

Concavenator

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 21, 2024, 01:35:48 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 20, 2024, 08:07:06 PMLooking at the results so far, I'm glad to see Shonisaurus doing well! Please, let somebody make it justice.

We just got a Shastasaurus last year. Aren't the two extremely close?

Sometimes the larger species (Shastasaurus sikanniensis) is nested in the Shonisaurus genus as Shonisaurus sikanniensis. Regardless of the taxonomic status of that particular species, Shonisaurus popularis is quite morphologically distinctive and it is known from many specimens. So I won't be getting a Shastasaurus instead of a Shonisaurus, I'll keep waiting for the latter, hopefully not forever.  ::) 

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoToyForum on May 20, 2024, 07:40:14 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 19, 2024, 01:01:31 PM

It seems like a glaring omission and a long-necked plesiosaur would be popular with punters - if this isn't just my bias talking! It's not particularly 'necky' but I'd like to see a Cryptoclidus. For such a well-known species, both scientifically speaking but also culturally speaking since its appearance in Walking With Dinosaurs, there are surprisingly few (any!?) toys of it.

It's not an especially close relative, but the closest thing in morphospace might be their Keichousaurus mini. I think avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator is right that if and when they make a long-necked plesiosaur, it will probably be Elasmosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I think Henodus, Globidens, and Metriorhynchus would be cool.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: