News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Elengassen on May 17, 2024, 05:54:25 PMAnother good solution for flying pterosaurs would be to include a detachable base and support rod. This is what Kaiyodo does and it looks pretty good IMO. I'm not sure why more companies don't do this.
Favorite does (did) this too.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 17, 2024, 03:55:16 AMIs it too much to ask for both poses?  I usually hang my flying ones from the ceiling, standing ones go on shelves or dios. Could even get a middle ground, standing with wings spread?
Papo Dimorphodon had that
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 17, 2024, 09:45:43 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 17, 2024, 03:55:16 AMIs it too much to ask for both poses?  I usually hang my flying ones from the ceiling, standing ones go on shelves or dios. Could even get a middle ground, standing with wings spread?
Papo Dimorphodon had that

yeah i have him :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on May 16, 2024, 08:26:16 PMI preferred when pterosaur figures were made in flying poses, rather than the new trend of making them grounded.  However my actual preference for a pterosaur's pose is evenly split among the different main pterosaur groups:

I like a mix of flying and standing poses, but my preference varies by company more than by taxonomic group. For companies that don't include stands, I prefer a standing pose: CollectA, Safari, PNSO minis (not that they're making those anymore, but still). For companies that generally include stands, I prefer flying poses that create a little space under the wings: Colorata, Favorite, Kaiyodo, and probably PNSO if they ever made a pterosaur in the Prehistoric Animals line. I would love for any of these companies to release a set of flying pterosaur minis with stands.

But more than anything, I wish companies would make more than the same 8 genera over and over. Right now CollectA is pretty much the only company taking any chances with unusual pterosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 18, 2024, 08:46:50 PMRight now CollectA is pretty much the only company taking any chances with unusual pterosaurs.

And then they make them ginormous, which means they're a pass for some collectors.  :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on May 18, 2024, 10:43:24 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 18, 2024, 08:46:50 PMRight now CollectA is pretty much the only company taking any chances with unusual pterosaurs.

And then they make them ginormous, which means they're a pass for some collectors.  :P

You mean not everyone likes to walk around with them on their shoulders like a prehistoric parrot?  ;D

crankydinosaur

I love Dinosaurs but how many T. Rex and Triceratops figures do we need? I wish companies would expand out to the Paleozoic and Cenozoic .

CityRaptor

Quote from: crankydinosaur on May 19, 2024, 08:39:44 PMI love Dinosaurs but how many T. Rex and Triceratops figures do we need? I wish companies would expand out to the Paleozoic and Cenozoic .

You know, I would be a lot more open to that if it was not for the fact that the Cenozoic has the same problems as the modern animal toy market: Too many mammals, not enough of everything else. Keep in mind that for every T.rex or Triceratops figures there are probabaly dozens of lion and elephant (I guess?) figures. And of course humans and horses are probably even worse. All that when mammal species are greatly outnumbered by reptile and bird species.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 19, 2024, 11:04:34 PM
Quote from: crankydinosaur on May 19, 2024, 08:39:44 PMI love Dinosaurs but how many T. Rex and Triceratops figures do we need? I wish companies would expand out to the Paleozoic and Cenozoic .

You know, I would be a lot more open to that if it was not for the fact that the Cenozoic has the same problems as the modern animal toy market: Too many mammals, not enough of everything else. Keep in mind that for every T.rex or Triceratops figures there are probabaly dozens of lion and elephant (I guess?) figures. And of course humans and horses are probably even worse. All that when mammal species are greatly outnumbered by reptile and bird species.

Depends on the mammal I would say. Charismatic megafauna...sure, but where's my toy muskrat or star nosed mole? How many bats have decent figures?

CityRaptor

Guess the players might be different, but the game is the same.

Still, mammal figures greatly outnumber everything else.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Elengassen

I don't think this is too controversial, a lot of people on here probably feel the same.
My take on this is, I don't care how many T. rex and Triceratops figures we get as long as the sales from those figures give companies the financial leeway to make more underrepresented species.
Although it might be nice to get a T. mccraensis and Triceratops prorsus for a change...  ::)
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

thomasw100

Quote from: Elengassen on May 20, 2024, 11:58:36 AM

I don't think this is too controversial, a lot of people on here probably feel the same.
My take on this is, I don't care how many T. rex and Triceratops figures we get as long as the sales from those figures give companies the financial leeway to make more underrepresented species.
Although it might be nice to get a T. mccraensis and Triceratops prorsus for a change...  ::)

A nicely accurate Triceratops prorsus would be something I might still get, if a company like PNSO or Haoonggood would make one. I have been pondering about getting the DeClay Studio resin model of Triceratops prorsus. Right now I have only one Triceratops, the PNSO model. Generally speaking, I would love if companies would make their future models accurate for one given species rather than sometimes the models being a blend of several species. We have seen some improvements into that direction though.

Elengassen

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 20, 2024, 12:28:54 PM
Quote from: Elengassen on May 20, 2024, 11:58:36 AM

A nicely accurate Triceratops prorsus would be something I might still get, if a company like PNSO or Haoonggood would make one. I have been pondering about getting the DeClay Studio resin model of Triceratops prorsus. Right now I have only one Triceratops, the PNSO model. Generally speaking, I would love if companies would make their future models accurate for one given species rather than sometimes the models being a blend of several species. We have seen some improvements into that direction though.

I think given the popularity of Triceratops it's only a matter of time before we get a PVC prorsus. Maybe Haolonggood will be the one to do it as they've already made a Stegosaurus ungulatus.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2024, 04:39:08 AM

You mean not everyone likes to walk around with them on their shoulders like a prehistoric parrot?  ;D

I definitely get the appeal if you're running a park, but like most people I live in a city. I like CollectA's pterosaurs but I'd like them even more if they were half or a quarter the size!

Yeah, I think every new T. rex that gets made makes the hobby a little bit worse.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2024, 04:57:13 PMYeah, I think every new T. rex that gets made makes the hobby a little bit worse.
Well, I think that's an unpopular opinion suitable for this thread!  Personally, I hate that Kaiyodo keeps making Tyrannosaurus figures.  But I do feel PNSO's Cameron was necessary and is the definitive Tyrannosaurus, perhaps an unpopular opinion because it doesn't have lips, but I don't think lips on theropods or lack of cheeks on ornithischians are necessary.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on May 21, 2024, 05:04:31 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2024, 04:57:13 PMYeah, I think every new T. rex that gets made makes the hobby a little bit worse.
Well, I think that's an unpopular opinion suitable for this thread!  Personally, I hate that Kaiyodo keeps making Tyrannosaurus figures.  But I do feel PNSO's Cameron was necessary and is the definitive Tyrannosaurus, perhaps an unpopular opinion because it doesn't have lips, but I don't think lips on theropods or lack of cheeks on ornithischians are necessary.

Most likely PNSO will make a Cameron 2.0 with lips eventually, now that they seem to have gone down the lip road with 3 figures as well. Cameron has incorporated the scientific evidence up to the point when that model was designed, a fact that many people who criticized the absence of lips did not fully appreciate. And one needs to consider the design and production cycle, which I think will be at least 6 months if not more from starting the design of a figure to the final release. Cameron had no chance to have lips, because the key lip paper came to late for him.

stargatedalek

My issue with CollectA pterosaurs is the often inconvenient scales. Like, what do they scale with? They keep making giant figures of medium sized pterosaurs, instead of small ones that could be really cool 1:1 scale figures, or very large ones that might fit with ~1:12-1:18 stuff.

Like the Guidraco scales with... 60cm dolls...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2024, 04:57:13 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 19, 2024, 04:39:08 AM

I definitely get the appeal if you're running a park, but like most people I live in a city. I like CollectA's pterosaurs but I'd like them even more if they were half or a quarter the size!

CollectA and Safari both just need to release pterosaur toobs with mini figures, would fix the problem pretty easy.  That said I'd take a 1:15 Quetz from them or any other creature they want to release in 1:1 or whatever is close lol

Halichoeres

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 22, 2024, 08:29:44 AMCollectA and Safari both just need to release pterosaur toobs with mini figures, would fix the problem pretty easy.  That said I'd take a 1:15 Quetz from them or any other creature they want to release in 1:1 or whatever is close lol

I certainly would have been more into a pterosaur mini set from CollectA than the sauropod one! They do seem like the best hope for one, though.

crazy8wizard

For my purposes of collecting minis the sauropod tube is fantastic but I can understand why people would dislike it. A tube themed to smaller animals is a great idea but honestly any themed tube is excellent.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: