News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 16, 2024, 05:23:37 AMI forgot to add, I love the Schleich Kentrosaurus too. Also the Dinogorgon is excellent!

I think I have that one? It's right near my Bullyland Lambeosaurus.

Sim

I preferred when pterosaur figures were made in flying poses, rather than the new trend of making them grounded.  However my actual preference for a pterosaur's pose is evenly split among the different main pterosaur groups:

Eopterosauria: The first pterosaurs!  Flying, at the dawn of their time!
Dimorphodontia: They were poor flyers, so grounded.
Rhamphorhynchidae: They were good flyers, so flying!
Scaphognathidae: They were aerial predators of vertebrates, so flying!
Wukongpteridae: They seem to have spent time in forests, so grounded.
Anurognathidae: They appear to have been good flyers that hunted insects, so posed flying!
Euctenochasmatia: Animals that spent time in the shallows, grounded.
Pteranodontia: Good flyers that looked spectacular in the air, so flying!
Istiodactylidae: They probably spent a lot of time in the air, looking for carcasses, so posed flying is my preference for them.
Anhangueria: Same as Pteranodontia, so flying!
Tapejaromorpha: They appear to have been arboreal, so a grounded pose is my preference for them.
Dsungaripteridae: Adapted to obtain small, hard-shelled animals, so grounded as they would be most of the time.
Thalassodromidae: Ground carnivores, grounded.
Azhdarchidae: Same as Thalassodromidae, so grounded.

Seven each for grounded and flying!  I am open to having figures in my non-preferred pose though, mainly the ones I like most e.g. Eudimorphodon, Rhamphorhynchus, Scaphognathus and Pteranodon.

GojiraGuy1954

Flying pterosaurs just lie on my shelf and look dead, taking up way too much space with their spread wings. Give them a stand or do a standing pose.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

crazy8wizard

Flying pterosaur figures often require extra stands or mounts if you're a shelf collector, but they're fun for kids who like to pretend they're flying. So something like Collecta or Safari that are enjoyed by adults or kids it seems forgivable.

Turkeysaurus

Detachable parts. Both options for wings.  8)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think its interesting that pterosaurs almost always get flying poses and modern birds almost always get standing poses. It makes more sense to me to have most pterosaurs on all fours so that the figure can stand right on its own.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

I prefer standing pterosaurs and will typically avoid flying ones. The flying ones are more fun to play with but I don't  do that too much these days.

Concavenator

As for me, flying pterosaur = skip. Simple as that. I'd like them in a standing stance, please and thank you.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 16, 2024, 10:22:33 PMDetachable parts. Both options for wings.  8)

That's what the Plannosaurus line did with their Pteranodon and it looks great. Would definitely increase the price a little but for a collector line I suppose it wouldn't be too bad. Sort of like what Beasts of the Mesozoic did with the Tyrannosaur series having extra legs and feet.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Is it too much to ask for both poses?  I usually hang my flying ones from the ceiling, standing ones go on shelves or dios. Could even get a middle ground, standing with wings spread?

PrimevalRaptor

Bullylands Geosternbergia back then did come in a standing version and a flying one which was really great, though I guess producing the same species twice when it's not a T.rex is also kinda iffy in terms of material costs and all that I'd assume

Carnoking

REBOR did a nice set with Punch and Judy back in the day. Still haven't managed to get my hands on Punch though.

Elengassen

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 16, 2024, 10:22:33 PMDetachable parts. Both options for wings.  8)

Cue people complaining about seams...
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Carnoking on May 17, 2024, 12:12:14 PMREBOR did a nice set with Punch and Judy back in the day. Still haven't managed to get my hands on Punch though.
I love REBOR for trying things like that. Different variations, detachable parts etc. For example two heads with Open or Closed jaws options for Smilodon. Bendable neck & tail for Diplodocus etc. I think REBOR is kinda underappreciated company in here.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Elengassen on May 17, 2024, 12:58:33 PM

I just got my Diplodocus yesterday. Seams nothing but nitpick at this point. Not much difference than those lines in plastic.

Eofauna is supposed to be cheaper with it's lesser quality & size compared to Rebor Diplodocus, right? No, it would cost me same or more because of shipping cost despite the figure itself actually half the price of REBOR. Rebor is much bigger yet with 1/3 cost of shipping.  Imagine how much cheaper they would be if sauropods from other brands had detachable neck & tails.

Box of Rebor Diplodocus is half of Haolonggood Apatosaurus. It's even smaller than the 1/3 length of figures from PNSO.

Elengassen

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 17, 2024, 01:29:03 PM

I just got my Diplodocus yesterday. Seams nothing but nitpick at this point. Not much difference than those lines in plastic.

Eofauna is supposed to be cheaper with it's lesser quality & size compared to Rebor Diplodocus, right? No, it would cost me same or more because of shipping cost despite the figure itself actually half the price of REBOR. Rebor is much bigger yet with 1/3 cost of shipping.  Imagine how much cheaper they would be if sauropods from other brands had detachable neck & tails.

Box of Rebor Diplodocus is half of Haolonggood Apatosaurus. It's even smaller than the 1/3 length of figures from PNSO.

I agree. I was just pointing out that it would be hard to find a solution for the pterosaurs that pleases everyone, since everyone has different dealbreakers. I have the Rebor Diplodocus and Kiss, and the seams don't bother me at all. And of course some figures without detachable parts still have prominent seams...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Elengassen on May 17, 2024, 02:29:51 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 17, 2024, 01:29:03 PM

I agree. I was just pointing out that it would be hard to find a solution for the pterosaurs that pleases everyone, since everyone has different dealbreakers. I have the Rebor Diplodocus and Kiss, and the seams don't bother me at all. And of course some figures without detachable parts still have prominent seams...

Same here, when looking at them on a shelf I don't even see the seams at all, it's pretty hard to see them up close for me even.

That's true, I have a few older figures they look like they were assembled with hot glue..lol

I'd take switchable wings, at least to try it. The only issue there might be the flying pair being stable over time. Pterosaur bodies are incredibly small so having enough body mass to support the peg holes could be an issue unless they were made from ultra light plastic or something similar?

stargatedalek

Pterosaur shoulder seams would be very easy to hide if they were fluffy with pycnofibers.

PumperKrickel

David Silva will probably figure out a good solution whenever he gets to flying reptiles.

Elengassen

Another good solution for flying pterosaurs would be to include a detachable base and support rod. This is what Kaiyodo does and it looks pretty good IMO. I'm not sure why more companies don't do this.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: