News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on May 02, 2024, 01:26:33 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 02, 2024, 12:17:04 AMTo me, the term is what one is using it for. If it's sitting on a shelf, it's a figure/figurine/model. If a kid has it in his or her toy bin, play room, or sand box, it's a toy  :P

I agree with this view, though it can't be taken quite literally. Like, if a kid has something like a Sideshow model in their toy bin, etc, would that make it a toy? I would be VERY hard-pressed to call it like that.  ;D

Well, if I want to make clear that I don't collect toys for children, I just say I collect "adult toys." I don't know why that gets me so many weird looks, it seems like the most correct term for toys collected by an adult.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Elengassen

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 11, 2024, 03:18:09 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 02, 2024, 01:26:33 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 02, 2024, 12:17:04 AMTo me, the term is what one is using it for. If it's sitting on a shelf, it's a figure/figurine/model. If a kid has it in his or her toy bin, play room, or sand box, it's a toy  :P

I agree with this view, though it can't be taken quite literally. Like, if a kid has something like a Sideshow model in their toy bin, etc, would that make it a toy? I would be VERY hard-pressed to call it like that.  ;D

Well, if I want to make clear that I don't collect toys for children, I just say I collect "adult toys." I don't know why that gets me so many weird looks, it seems like the most correct term for toys collected by an adult.

I think some people might take this to mean something different though  ;D
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

TlatolophusJuanorum

I have recently purchased Xilin through an AE Early bird promo plus 15% coins, which ended in roughly 24USD, so I just couldn't resist :)) I think they still have the promo now, If anyone is interested.
The stegoherd is growing (with too many Wuerhosaurus).  :P

Carnoking

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on May 12, 2024, 05:16:36 PMI have recently purchased Xilin through an AE Early bird promo plus 15% coins, which ended in roughly 24USD, so I just couldn't resist :)) I think they still have the promo now, If anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads up, got the last one on that early bird special. Not sure how the whole "coins" thing works so mine was a bit more but still worth it!

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Carnoking on May 12, 2024, 05:48:40 PM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on May 12, 2024, 05:16:36 PMI have recently purchased Xilin through an AE Early bird promo plus 15% coins, which ended in roughly 24USD, so I just couldn't resist :)) I think they still have the promo now, If anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads up, got the last one on that early bird special. Not sure how the whole "coins" thing works so mine was a bit more but still worth it!
Glad you could! Next time, for anyone interested, through the coins section on the app you can find discounts ranging from 10-18% on some figures (all PNSOs and some HLGs included) so you can add an extra discount for any purchase. (It also helps during sales using coupons as a 3rd extra discount hehe)  O:-)

Carnoking

Ah, so it's an app thing? I guess that would explain it, I only ever shop Aliexpress from my computer

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Carnoking on May 12, 2024, 08:05:04 PMAh, so it's an app thing? I guess that would explain it, I only ever shop Aliexpress from my computer
Good question, I could mainly say yes to it but I found that it is also possible from the website (eventhough their discount is reduced to a 10% margin, it is an extra saving nevertheless) Coin link

dragon53

thomasw100

Official PNSO video about the creation of the Wuerhosaurus model. I am always amazed how much research and thought goes into these models. And each and every of their models is just beautiful.

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has the Wuerhosaurus in stock now. And they published some very interesting in hand pictures. I have no idea how they have adjusted their illumination when making these photos, but it looks as if the plates of the Wuerhosaurus would show bioluminescence. Which is an interesting thought by the way. Can we rule out that the plates of stegosaurs would indeed show bioluminescene as a means of communication between individuals?

Flaffy

Probably from tweaking with exposure or contrast values post-production.

Torvosaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 14, 2024, 03:31:32 PMLana Time Shop has the Wuerhosaurus in stock now. And they published some very interesting in hand pictures. I have no idea how they have adjusted their illumination when making these photos, but it looks as if the plates of the Wuerhosaurus would show bioluminescence. Which is an interesting thought by the way. Can we rule out that the plates of stegosaurs would indeed show bioluminescene as a means of communication between individuals?

Bioluminescence is a chemical reaction between an enzyme and a chemical, and therefore is not usually seen in fossils. AFAIK, these reactions happened primarily in soft tissues. It can be "detected" in creatures that have a specific organ that produces light, such as a firefly's light organ in flies covered in amber.

So we can't say definitely that a prehistoric vertebrate animal was bioluminescent based on fossils, though technically it isn't out of the question. I'd base any kind of inference on bioluminescence on animals living today that have a similar biology.

Torvo

Concavenator

T @Torvosaurus you reminded me of when I studied the Vibrio fischeri/Euprymna scolopes symbiosis in microbiology! I've done a quick search and apparently the only examples of bioluminescence among vertebrates are seen in fish. So I don't think a bioluminiscent stegosaur is very plausible.  ;D I wouldn't be surprised if the plates were colorful though, so they could have a role in sexual display or intraspecific recognition.

BlueKrono

It's an intriguing idea. Perhaps bioluminescence algae? I'm picturing a symbiotic relationship similar to the way sloths provide a home for algae that camouflages them. This would be the opposite reason of course: looking showy for potential mates.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Wally-217

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 14, 2024, 03:31:32 PMLana Time Shop has the Wuerhosaurus in stock now. And they published some very interesting in hand pictures. I have no idea how they have adjusted their illumination when making these photos, but it looks as if the plates of the Wuerhosaurus would show bioluminescence. Which is an interesting thought by the way. Can we rule out that the plates of stegosaurs would indeed show bioluminescene as a means of communication between individuals?

There's a few different reasons why bioluminescence Is only really seen in aquatic environments. So it's unlikely to the point of "basically, no". But fluorescence and biofluorescence both accomplish the same goal. When you consider that dinosaurs would have been tetrachromats like modern birds, fluerence becomes reasonably probably for such large display features. I think Stegosaurus itself is known to have channels for blood vessels along the plates if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if that would more strongly support the kind of "flushing blood red" colouration typically depicted.

Halichoeres

Iridescence should be possible in principle, but yeah, bioluminescence is very unlikely. Fireflies have a little organ in their abdomen for it the luciferin reaction, and I just don't see that happening on what is essentially an enlarged osteoderm.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

thomasw100

My Wuerhosaurus just arrived and I cannot see even the slightest indication of paint bleeding on my copy.

Halichoeres

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 25, 2024, 12:04:29 PMMy Wuerhosaurus just arrived and I cannot see even the slightest indication of paint bleeding on my copy.

Good news!

thomasw100

Lufengosaurus was revealed on 25 March, Wuerhosaurus on 26 April. Will we see the next release today?

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 26, 2024, 08:22:41 AMLufengosaurus was revealed on 25 March, Wuerhosaurus on 26 April. Will we see the next release today?
I'd like to see that happen!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: