News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think they view it like this. Retool/reissue that some already have = less sells vs new big theropod release which everyone will want one of.

Hiya seems to just do paint upgrades or variants and reissue.

Shane

They've reissued the HC T-Rex a number of times.

And I will say, the way large toy companies think is not "people want a new theropod". They're thinking is 100% "We need to always have a t-rex on shelves." Swap out T-rex with Darth Vader, or Batman, or what have you. The priority is always on what will sell, and while there are the rabid fans like us that want the new fresh thing, by and large what most people want is what is popular.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shane on June 06, 2024, 01:45:51 PMThey've reissued the HC T-Rex a number of times.

And I will say, the way large toy companies think is not "people want a new theropod". They're thinking is 100% "We need to always have a t-rex on shelves." Swap out T-rex with Darth Vader, or Batman, or what have you. The priority is always on what will sell, and while there are the rabid fans like us that want the new fresh thing, by and large what most people want is what is popular.

True but if there is already one on the shelf for sale...

They also already have a number of TRex out in the main line, Walmart has at least two and Target has around three if I recall correctly? We are talking about a collector's line as well.

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 06, 2024, 02:39:15 PM
Quote from: Shane on June 06, 2024, 01:45:51 PMThey've reissued the HC T-Rex a number of times.

True but if there is already one on the shelf for sale...

They also already have a number of TRex out in the main line, Walmart has at least two and Target has around three if I recall correctly? We are talking about a collector's line as well.

You're not wrong, but there's a reason the only real reissue we've seen in  HC is the T-Rex. And also why we've seen several HC raptors in the course of the line, with more on the way. Even with a collector line, the thinking is there needs to be a Rex or a Raptor on the shelf.

Contrast that with lesser known dinos like Metriacanthasaurus, which really sat on shelves for a good long while even though it was a fresh, new species in the line. There's definitely a balance, especially with a collector focused line. I think there's a sweet spot between super well known and too obscure that they need to hit. But they still clearly have a vested interest in keeping well known dinos on the shelf, as we've seen with the rex reissues and raptor variants.

That's why it feels like a Bull Rex is a no-brainer. The Mattel execs want a rex on the shelves, the fans and collectors want a new HC rex, it's win/win.

stargatedalek

A retool of the HC rex with the new styled teeth would be great.

Eatmycar

I absolutely want the T. rex to get a retool at some point. I want a new female, the 65 MYA Rex, and a male at some point, but I need Spinosaurus and Indominus first frankly. Spinosaurus' original sculpt is just trash and it deserves better.

Faelrin

Managed to have some luck while out doing errands with my brother today. For starters, managed to get my hands on the HC Carnotaurus at Target in store. Still had two left after getting mine. No new display out yet.

Walmart on the other hand had the new display (which I didn't a chance to get a pic of), and some more in stock that I was surprised to see. I did not leave empty handed either. More on that after.

So here's the newest waves of the Strike Attack (next to the end cap display), and the Danger Pack. Not sure if anyone else has caught wind of the former in the wild yet, so those really caught my eye. The new Danger Packs were in the middle of the shelf from their prior section, away from the end cap. They had a couple of Dilophosaurus and Monolophosaurus. Only one each of the Chasmosaurus and Gastonia. There was only Guanlong and Lystrosaurus set, one raptor, and several Apatosaurus and Gallimimus.

And now of course here's the haul I came home with. Not as much as before, but great additions all around.

Also since it was the only Guanlong set there, I grabbed it, but the lips don't fully close. Not sure if mine has a defect in that regard or got warped or it is a widespread QC issue.

Edit: I'd like to get the Gastonia and baby Apatosaurus as well, but didn't have enough on hand for them today. Maybe if I can go out door dashing with my brother tomorrow can make just a little bit to get those two as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eatmycar

That hideous Monolophosaurus is growing on me, not gonna lie.

Prehistory Resurrection

Quality control issues with the HC Therizinosaurus and Giganotosaurus;

Paint splotch on the beak;

Issues to look out for when buying the HC Giganotosaurus;

Shane

I was all ready to say "people are just nit picking" but watching that Giga video, that's really unfortunate and hopefully Target and Mattel will help to replace those figures affected by such serious issues.

My Theri and Giga seem fine, other than some ankle joints that are a bit looser than I'd like. But they both still stand and thankfully seem to have all their parts and no deformities to speak of.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Faelrin on June 03, 2024, 09:37:03 PMI just remembered there was that leaked Sinoceratops a while back. No idea if it was legit though. Could have just as easily been a 3D printed custom someone did. If it was legit, it could be the final HC for the year then.

Did I miss anything? What would folks prefer from the above?

Oh there is the baby Trike we see briefly in TLW. And also Jurassic World but its a different (and uglier) design.

Dilopho

I feel surprised that nobody is really posting about them getting the new Hammond Collection pair in this thread, surely some of us have it?

Cpt Red 3eard

I have both. I'm really impressed by them. The Giganotosaurus is excellent.

suspsy

I keep seeing report after report of defective Giganotosauruses. Fortunately, I always thought it was defective, period, so I need not concern myself.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Well it is disappointing for those of us that were excited by it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but I don't feel it is nessecary to make remarks like that. Like as someone that was very excited for this release and waited since the HC was announced for this to show up in it, particularly after the inaccurate mainline figure, reading that kind that remark just rubs me the wrong way.

Edit: Despite being far from paleo acccurate, I think I should add that I've also liked the design since it came out. It's something I would have loved seeing as a kid, despite being over the top with the osteoderms and spines. So that's part of why I'm excited for this release.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dilopho

I think it's alright not to like the design, I myself really like it. It's so striking and dragon-like.
I think the allosauroid crests and Acrocanthosaurus-like back scales really set it apart from the T. rex design.
The militaristic colour scheme is great looking, the eye colour is SO striking.

But there's a lot not to like about it, too. I myself don't like the exposed teeth or slit pupil, and the arms are very long and weedy. The figure actually has way better looking bulkier arms.

Every Jurassic World dinosaur design is divisive in one way or another. I've mentioned here that I really would love a HC Sinoceratops, and that's what I regard as the worst dinosaur design in the franchise in terms of looking like the actual animal.

Man, another thing I've said time and time again is how I wish these were actually sold wide scale in the UK... I need this Giga and Theri so bad.

Blue actually released in the UK on Amazon a week or two before the USA got it- I thought that was a sign that things would change and that the HC was going to be readily available over here. I guess not. Spain is getting them in December apparently, maybe I'll see it then?

Eatmycar

Alright, I'll go ahead then since I've got both.

First, I have to say the Therizinosaurus is my favorite of the pair for its size. The 1/18 collector in me has to admit the honest truth - after a certain size, dinosaurs just get really cumbersome to pose. Therizinosaurus isn't there. Like the Carnotaurus, its at that size where it is big, impressive even, but it is not as clunky as the larger offerings like Tyrannosaurus, Giganotosaurus, or the BoTM rex. Everything about this guy shows that Mattel is actually attempting to innovate and adapt to change over time as a very quick pace, and it makes me appreciate the distance between releases. The glass eyes on the larger figures are better, to a point where I actually like them now. The tail is constructed better than older releases. Ratchets act as insurance down the line that our figures wont end up like the Resaurus figures... or BoTM's... and need stands.

Speaking of stands, have I mentioned that this thing can stand without an expensive base, swappable non-articulated legs, or a rod up its stomach?

Is it going to win an award for scientific accuracy? God, no, it ain't. But, is it going to stand on its own without collapsing onto its joints, and look absolutely imposing doing so? Yes.

And that's fine. I'd absolutely prefer if Colin Trevorrow respected paleontology and ensured the thing was accurate to current science ala Prehistoric Planet, or uniquely striking like The Isle's, but that is not here nor there. This is the best Therizinosaurus on the market in my eyes, because it is so striking and dynamic.

Likewise, Giga suffers from Colin Trevorrow and ILM disregarding science to make a monster. Again, I'd prefer to have The Isle's version of this animal on my desk as that one actually scared the crap out of me a number of times playing that game. But I'll settle for this. Another showstopper in my eyes. It feels like it jumped out of the film, for better or worse.

And Mattel's lack of attention to detail works out in my favor. The disgusting rip in the skin above the top right jaw is painted green and it disappears into the body perfectly. The massive chunks taken out of the animal's tail are missing in this movdel and it looks like the film animal in better times.

And, again, it stands without massive rods, no fighting gravity here, no hopes that its base will hold it up in six months. I just see the result of years of work coming to a head here, and the Mattel team should be proud of this thing. I hope we see more non-film species in this line, and I hope they're given this attention to detail.

That said, I do feel a bit of disappointment with these guys. And it's not towards Mattel. If anything, it's toward Beasts of the Mesozoic. I was incredibly excited about the Tyrannosaur line, but as details came out and life changed, I ended up missing Wave 1... then 2... and 3. And now I see posts here about the Tyrannosaurs buckling under their weight, and a new run of rods. I really feel I need to step back from that line until thee is serious innovation in the biped department.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on June 10, 2024, 06:26:36 PMI feel surprised that nobody is really posting about them getting the new Hammond Collection pair in this thread, surely some of us have it?

Mine was due last week. They are currently in the blackhole of Ellenwood GA, probably never to be seen again if reports I've seen online are true. I did order a 2nd Theri from Target, but the Giga is now out of stock. :/

I did score a few things at Target and Walmart yesterday.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: