News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 13/09/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres it stands, but for like five seconds, barely the time to take the photo. To keep that pose in my display I have to use a clear acrylic action figures stand. It's my failed attempt to replicate the pose Bistahieversor has in the Molina-Perez & Larramendi's (Eofauna's) book (I'd have posted a picture, if I had found one  :( )
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Leyster on July 08, 2024, 03:54:45 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres it stands, but for like five seconds, barely the time to take the photo. To keep that pose in my display I have to use a clear acrylic action figures stand. It's my failed attempt to replicate the pose Bistahieversor has in the Molina-Perez & Larramendi's (Eofauna's) book (I'd have posted a picture, if I had found one  :( )

I know the feeling of this. I tried to get my BOTM T. rex into the pose the Denver Museum of Nature and Science has for their infamous upright kicking Tyrannosaurus, much to my disappointment.

Halichoeres

Yeah, with the weight of these, combined with the tradeoffs inherent between mobility and friction in the many joints, it's gonna be hard to find a stable pose without support.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres it's the burden of the action figures  ;D And not even static figures of bipedal animals are spared from falling, due to the warping, sadly.

Binomial name: Thalattosuchus superciliosus (de Blainville in Eudes-Deslongchamps, 1852)
Classification: Pseudosuchia->Suchia->Paracrocodylomorpha->Crocodylomorpha->Crocodyliformes->Thalattosuchia*->Neothalattosuchia->Metriorhynchoidea->Metriorhynchidae->Metriorhynchinae
Time: Callovian-Oxfordian (Middle-Late Jurassic)
Formation: Falaises des Vaches Noires (present-day France), Oxford Clay Formation (present-day England).
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2006
Sculptor: Yuko Shimizu
Scale: up to 1:40 for a large specimen, closer to 1:30 for an average one

*exact relationships of Thalattosuchia are unknown
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

Quote from: Leyster on July 07, 2024, 08:32:56 AMavatar_Concavenator @Concavenator sorry for the late answer, I didn't get the notification. I might end up getting the Haolonggood some day, but in the meantime I'll buy the BOTM once it comes out.

No wonder, the BotM Dilophosaurus really looks amazing. And I think it's a good idea they ditched the bases in favor of the PNSO-styled transparent rods. Looking forward to seeing that Dilophosaurus here!

Congrats on the Thalattosuchus too! I just learned the formerly-called Metriorhynchus superciliosus now has its own genus.  ;D

Halichoeres

I'm curious how you identified it as superciliosus in particular.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator thank you!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres aside for tooth count, the skull looked closer to Thalattosuchus to me. It's the better represented species, afaik, too, and this suggests it might have been used as reference. But I'm open to being corrected, pseudosuchians aren't my area of expertise.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Leyster on July 11, 2024, 04:01:30 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres aside for tooth count, the skull looked closer to Thalattosuchus to me. It's the better represented species, afaik, too, and this suggests it might have been used as reference. But I'm open to being corrected, pseudosuchians aren't my area of expertise.

Oh, I don't have a contrary opinion, I was merely curious, since the kinds of apomorphies used to separate closely separated genera are usually hard to spot in a model this size. But tooth count is certainly reasonable.

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly: the skull looks more like M. superciliosus except for the teeth (which dont' fit in any specimen I know of, being too many and too big). Perhaps I should've written "cf. superciliosus", I'll edit the post.

Concavenator

L @Leyster My understanding, based on Young et al. 2020, is that the Thalattosuchus genus was erected to include the formerly-called Metriorhynchus superciliosus, implying that the Thalattosuchus genus is monospecific. In that case, wouldn't it be more appropriate to include the "cf." prior to the species' name (cf. Thalattosuchus superciliosus)?

Just asking out of curiosity.

EDIT - Just realized they consider Metriorhynchus to be monospecific too.  :P

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator yeah, sorry, it was late yesterday and got confused with Steneosaurus brevirostris, which was placed in Metriorhynchus, not in Thalattosuchus. I'll edit it (again).

Leyster

Binomial name: Spinops sternbergorum Farke et al., 2011
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Marginocephalia->Ceratopsia->Neoceratopsia->Coronosauria->Ceratopsoidea->Ceratopsidae->Centrosaurinae
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Oldman Formation? Dinosaur Park Formation? (present day Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2019
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:20

The PNSO ceratopsian with the most interesting pose, imho. Beautiful paint, too, almos iridescent in some areas. Wanted to get it since long time.

Concavenator

1:20? That's pretty large!

Been a good while since the last PNSO ceratopsid (their Torosaurus from March 2022). Wouldn't be surprised if they released one soon, as I feel that's too much time without a new ceratopsid from them.

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator more that it wasn't exactly the biggest ceratopsian around  :))

Leyster

Binomial name: Carcharodontosaurus saharicus (Depéret & Savornin, 1925)
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Allosauria->Carcharodontosauria->Carcharodontosauridae->Carcharodontosaurinae
Time: Cenomanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Kem Kem Beds (present day Morocco)
Manifacturer and date of release: Dino Hazard, 2021
Sculptor: Hugo Cafasso
Scale: 1:20

Thanks to avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro for helping me acquiring this figure!

And here is my review!

Concavenator

A pity about the outdated, elongated skull but impressive model otherwise. Interesting that they added Concavenator's scutes at the underside of the tail.

I would've loved to see Dino Hazard continue with their figures. Considering their usage of a larger scale, I think smaller creatures would be more befitting than behemoths like Carcharodontosaurus:P

Leyster

Yes, it's a pity that the line was so short-lived. I always hope for a revival.

Leyster

Binomial name: Arizonasaurus babbitti Welles, 1947
Classification: Paracrocodylomorpha>Poposauroidea>Ctenosauriscidae
Time: Anisian (middle Triassic)
Formation: Moenkopi Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Bullyland, 2007
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:12

Thanks to avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx for gifting me this figure!

Leyster

Oh, look, another Tyrannosaurus. But this time is a (very) immature Tyrannosaurus, so it gets a pass I suppose (NB this post refers to the figure on the foreground. The one on the background is for another post).

Binomial name: Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn 1905
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Tyrannosaurinae
Time: Maastrichtian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Hell Creek Formation, Lance Formation, Frenchman Formation (present day USA and Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Qualia, 2023
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:33 for the "Chomper" specimen

Halichoeres

I love that Arizonasaurus. Bullyland used to be so great!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: