News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Protecting figures from dust

Started by Leyster, June 27, 2024, 05:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Hello everyone, it's been a while, life took its toll. Anyway, I moved and I'm no longer able to use the Billy cabinets I used to shield figures from dust. So I was wondering, does anybody here leave their figures "unprotected"? How do you dust them? How often? Is there anything you can do to prevent dust buildup? I've read something about high HEPA air purifiers, but since they're not exactly cheap I thought of asking first.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SenSx

Good question, I don't have a glass in front of it to protect my figures, and not only the dinosaurs  ;D
So I just dust them with the Tamiya pencil.

Optimal clean is 1 peer month imo, more than that would be annoying for me.
But I got to admit sometimes it's more every two months  :(
I'll try to improve on that.

Saarlooswolfhound

My collection hasn't been on display for a while now but it was a few years ago (5,000+ piece collection) on open book cases.

For me, I just would take a weekend and take everything off the book cases (13+) and dust the shelving. Then as I reorganized the displays and put things back I dusted them as I went. It can be time consuming, but even with such a big collection I could complete it with in a day if I worked at it and went uninterrupted. For me, it was a great chance to get reacquainted with the models, practice some curation skills with displays, and I usually put on a movie/documentary or audiobook/music to listen to while I did it.

Sadly, I don't think there is a way to get around the dust issue!

**EDIT: My collection was also in a rarely used  large basement room, so there was dust still but not a ton, and they were not in a direct display for visitors to see. I dusted every few months initially, but as it to be a bigger job twice a year.

Concavenator

I don't have a cabinet to display my figures in, either (though I certainly hope to get one when I have the chance!).

I've been dusting my figures once a month for years. I dust both the figures and the shelves they're exposed at. Generally, I use a duster like this for most of the figures:

Spoiler
[close]

However, for very small figures (like Kaiyodo's Yi or the BotM 1:18 Velociraptor), and in order to allow for a better control, I use a glasses cloth, like this:

Spoiler
[close]

I would say it takes me about 20 min to dust both my figures and the shelves they're exposed at, but my collection is only 17 figures at the moment.  ;D That's a fraction of most people's collections.

Halichoeres

The only way to keep dust off of them is to put them behind a barrier. You can reduce dust by putting them in the least-used part of the house. Otherwise, it's a matter of removing it periodically. I have a lot of shelves so I'll do one every weekend or so I eventually get to everybody (although quite a few of mine are behind glass).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Another method is using these air cans for keyboard cleaning.

Just do not spray your figures too hard as it does create moisture, just light sprays from a distance help spray the dust off, allowing you to then wipe all the excess dust off the area at which the figure stands.

Halichoeres

I would have guessed that compressed air would be hard on paint, but has that not been your experience avatar_Bread @Bread?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

stargatedalek

Compressed air is very gentle, not like a pressure washer. I can not imagine it doing anything to paint unless maybe it was already flaked and lifting off the figure.

Saarlooswolfhound

Same. I used a combination of a manual fluffy duster thing and canned air. In my broad collection (japanese brands, modern, vintage, original finish, damaged finish, and customized) I have never had an issue.

The only detraction is that the can will freeze on the outside (due to physics of compression) so you might want to have 2-3 cans to swap between if you have a large collection, or realize the can may need some time in between uses to warm up again.

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 12, 2024, 10:14:10 PMI would have guessed that compressed air would be hard on paint, but has that not been your experience avatar_Bread @Bread?
I've never sprayed a figure with a full repaint directly, and even if it would be a split second. So I would say no it does not damage paint, but I am afraid of the strong spray of moisture that sometimes is produced by the can.

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 12, 2024, 10:26:19 PMCompressed air is very gentle, not like a pressure washer. I can not imagine it doing anything to paint unless maybe it was already flaked and lifting off the figure.
Correct, and just to add it's super gentle even on a full press of the spray. I'm not even worried about it possibly causing a figure to fall over. Though like I stated earlier holding down the spray can cause a splash of moisture.

Bread

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 12, 2024, 10:48:00 PMThe only detraction is that the can will freeze on the outside (due to physics of compression) so you might want to have 2-3 cans to swap between if you have a large collection, or realize the can may need some time in between uses to warm up again.
I second this as well. Typically I order the three can pack on Amazon for ~$16.
Just look up "keyboard cleaner air can" and it will be most likely the first result :))

Saarlooswolfhound

Yeah, it goes by a few names in the US. Electronics spray/cleaner is common, or even "canned air". It does work well though as long as it done with some regularity (before it bonds with natural oils from your skin transferred during handling and other air pollutants [if your collection is near your kitchen for example]).

Joliezac

My dinosaur collection is open to the air. I have an air purifier I got recently and it has really made a difference. Every 1-2 months I take each dinosaur down and wipe them with a cloth. More fragile figures I take outside and spray with canned air. I also use makeup brushes on the teeth and mouths to get dust out. All my figures are in my bedroom so I try to minimize dust as much as possible by vacuuming 1-2 times a week, leaving my door and windows shut.

Halichoeres

Good to know, thanks everyone! Today I learned.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.