News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo wishes and hopes

Started by Sim, December 23, 2023, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I've been enjoying Kaiyodo figures of smaller animals very much.  This thread is a place where we can say what we'd like Kaiyodo to make.  I don't know if it will reach anyone at Kaiyodo, but it's primarily out of interest and for fun.

I'll start, I'd be very happy if Kaiyodo made the following:

1. Buitreraptor.  This might be the only chance a small Buitreraptor figure gets made!

2. Microraptor.  There are good Microraptor figures available (Wild Safari, BotM) but they are quite big.  It would be so good to have a small accurate Microraptor!  Kaiyodo has made a Microraptor before and it was very good, even getting the wing shape and tail fan mostly correct PRIOR to the paper that formally addressed those two areas.  However it's not got correct colouration.  I hope Kaiyodo will one day remake Microraptor as an accurate figure that's not attached to a branch!

3. Sinornithosaurus.  This close relative of Microraptor is the first dromaeosaurid found with feathers preserved.  I yearn for an accurate figure of it.  Perhaps Kaiyodo could make a "dromaeosaur/raptor excavation set" to follow their tyrannosaur and ceratopsian ones, and include Sinornithosaurus in it.

4. Rhamphorhynchus.  Kaiyodo made a featherless version for their "retro" line...  Why do Rhamphorhynchus figures have to be featherless, first the Safari figure and now this one :-\  PLEASE Kaiyodo, make a feathered Rhamphorhynchus, it's needed so much!

5. Velociraptor.  Kaiyodo's Velociraptor lacks wing and tail feathers.  I very much hope Kaiyodo will make a new Velociraptor that has feathers in those parts.

6. Saurornithoides mongoliensis.  Kaiyodo hasn't made a troodontid and this would go well with Velociraptor!

7. Zhenyuanlong.  An accurate figure of this striking and important dromaeosaurid is needed!

8. Struthiomimus altus.  I like the Kaiyodo Dinotales Struthiomimus, but it's only half-feathered so it's not suitable for me.  I hope Kaiyodo will update this figure in the future, although since they made an excellent Ornithomimus recently, they might not revisit Struthiomimus...

9. Eoraptor.  A good figure of this species is needed.

10. Deinonychus.  It's frustrating Kaiyodo re-released their bare-tailed, wingless Deinonychus for 2019.  They can make feathered dromaeosaurids properly as shown by their Microraptor and Dakotaraptor.  I hope Kaiyodo will remake Deinonychus with correct feathering.

11. Kelenken.  It should come out at 1:35 scale in Kaiyodo's usual size!

12. Orthacanthus.  If Kaiyodo made it I could replace the inaccurate Safari version and I would probably replace my Safari Xenacanthus with Kaiyodo's too!

13. Dilong.  I think Kaiyodo could make a nice figure of it.

Concavenator

Nice list avatar_Sim @Sim ! I only have one Kaiyodo figure ATM (the Zuul), but I like it and would get more. Here are the taxa I'd like:

Theropods:

Halszkaraptor
Zhenyuanlong
Microraptor (I'd also take one that's smaller than Safari's)
Hesperornithoides
Sinosauropteryx

Ornithischians:

Scutellosaurus
Kulindadromeus

Sauropodomorphs:

Eoraptor

Non-dinosaurs:

Tiktaalik
Aquilolamna
Tropeognathus
Rhamphorhynchus
Ambulocetus

Fembrogon

I'd settle for a new set that completely eschews Tyrannosaurus.

Halichoeres

Fish, invertebrates, smallish Triassic weirdos, pterosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

More Paleozoic things, though their recent Cenozoic things were nice. Small dinosaurs and pterosaurs are much welcome too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 27, 2023, 12:23:34 AMFish, invertebrates, smallish Triassic weirdos, pterosaurs.

Release that cancelled Aquatales American Paddlefish. O:-)

Would also like to see a Chinese Paddlefish too (sadly fiting for this forum now that it's extinct :'( )

postsaurischian

:'(  Surely one of the saddest things in Kaiyodo's history when they cancelled this wonderful collection after the first two series.

Sim

I wonder what Kaiyodo master avatar_brettnj @brettnj would like Kaiyodo to make?

brettnj

I happen to have a list prepared (Thanks for asking, Sim.)...

MY FANTASY SETS (I RANDOMLY CHOSE 12 REGULAR AND TWO SECRETS PER SET.), SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME DEPENDING UPON MY MOOD, INCLUDING IMMEDIATELY AFTER HITTING SEND HERE...

AQUARIUM
blue whale
leafy sea dragon
blue tang
Atlantic sawfish (better version than the existing one)
dolphinfish
golden cowrie (Why so few molluscs??? I really wanted to include more here.)
purple sea urchin
gharial
giant clam
harp seal (pup)
human (SCUBA diver)...
muskrat (swimming)
SECRETS
right dolphin
leatherback turtle

DINOTALES
woolly mammoth (MUCH better version than the existing one)
smilodon (MUCH better version than the existing one (It's a shame these incredibly iconic subjects were so (in my opinion) so poorly sculpted in the early sets.)
megaloceros
Indricotherium
a primate
a rodent
woolly rhinoceros
an amphibian
edaphosaurus
dimorphodon
amargasaurus
some kind of cool, actively posed therapod
SECRETS
Cro-Magnon
diplodocus

ANIMATALES
sable antelope
Eastern box turtle
Texas horned lizard
red-footed tortoise
woodchuck
toco toucan
king cobra
river hippopotamus
brown pelican
reticulated giraffe
African lion
bison
SECRETS
squirrel monkey
wood duck (As much as I want to see many more birds, I dislike the Birdtales sets sculpts so much that I didn't bother creating a mental list of those...)

WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE A PLANT SET.

(Sometimes I have a lot of time on my hands...)
Brett

Sim

I've just noticed Kaiyodo hasn't produced a Stegosaurus since the Dinotales series, as far as I'm aware.  Kaiyodo's insistence on more and more Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops is frustrating.  It makes me wonder, is Triceratops really more popular than Stegosaurus?  I wish instead of more Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops Kaiyodo would give other people a chance to have their favourites from them.  There's other popular dinosaurs Kaiyodo can make such as Velociraptor, Stegosaurus, Deinonychus, Ankylosaurus, Giganotosaurus, etc....  I really hope for an accurate Velociraptor from Kaiyodo...

Sim

I've found out that the Kaiyodo 2019 Deinonychus is actually a different sculpt to the Dinotales version.  They are compared here: https://ninjaaquarium.web.fc2.com/dino/capq/8_exhibition/index.html

It's extremely frustrating that Kaiyodo repeated the mistakes of the first version, the bare tail and lack of wing feathers.  We could have had a great 1:35 scale Deinonychus if they had made those corrections!  The Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor having remiges and rectrices makes me hopeful Kaiyodo will make other accurate dromaeosaurids in the future though...

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Sim on August 16, 2024, 08:59:27 AMI've found out that the Kaiyodo 2019 Deinonychus is actually a different sculpt to the Dinotales version.  They are compared here: https://ninjaaquarium.web.fc2.com/dino/capq/8_exhibition/index.html

I think I have compared these two and a third one just a few weeks ago  ( 6th picture ).

brettnj

(I just scrolled up and saw that I already addressed this in a larger post but...)

The woolly mammoth and smilodon are pretty much the two most iconic prehistoric mammals and the company has only done one not at all impressive to my eye version of each.

With all the repetition of the t-rex and tric, how could the company not see the monetary value of giving not just us (since it's not concerned with collectors beyond how they publicize and make money for them as a result to whatever extent) but the general public far better versions of these two?

How, I ask!?

Sim

avatar_brettnj @brettnj, I feel like that with regards to Kaiyodo and Velociraptor.  Velociraptor is extremely well-known and iconic, yet the only living one Kaiyodo has made is very old and doesn't reflect current understanding of dromaeosaurid feathering.  *sigh*  Deinonychus is up there with Velociraptor too and Kaiyodo blew their chance to make a good modern one and instead just made something nearly identical to one from what, over 10 years ago?  Again though, I hold hope that the Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor means any new dromaeosaurid from Kaiyodo will have adequate feathering.  Kaiyodo likes making Deinonychus too, so I won't be surprised if they make a new one.  It could be nice...

avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio, yes you did!  Would it be okay to use your photo of the Kaiyodo Deinonychus on the dinotoycollector site and Toy Animal Wiki, crediting you?

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Sim on August 16, 2024, 04:45:36 PMavatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio, yes you did!  Would it be okay to use your photo of the Kaiyodo Deinonychus on the dinotoycollector site and Toy Animal Wiki, crediting you?
You can use what ever picture you want -
adding a reference link to the exact post from which it was taken, if technically possible, would be nice.

Sim

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on August 16, 2024, 05:48:00 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 16, 2024, 04:45:36 PMavatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio, yes you did!  Would it be okay to use your photo of the Kaiyodo Deinonychus on the dinotoycollector site and Toy Animal Wiki, crediting you?
You can use what ever picture you want -
adding a reference link to the exact post from which it was taken, if technically possible, would be nice.
Thanks BrontoScorpio, that's very kind!

Sim

Continuing a subject avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator were discussing in another thread about Kaiyodo sometimes remaking figures and that possibly leading to a new Sinosauropteryx from Kaiyodo...  I would definitely be interested in Kaiyodo making a new Sinosauropteryx!  I'm thinking that a new Kaiyodo set of dinosaurs with known colourations could be amazing!  It could include Sinosauropteryx, which is what made me think of it, Psittacosaurus, Microraptor, Anchiornis...  Kaiyodo's Sinosauropteryx is still the nicest figure of it in my opinion, and Kaiyodo's Microraptor got the wing shape and tail fan shape right, with the exception of the two streamer feathers not being long enough but they were incompletely known at the time, at a time when everyone else was copying the terrible reconstruction in the paper that named Microraptor gui.  An updated Sinosauropteryx and Microraptor from Kaiyodo could be so good!

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim That's a fantastic idea! Do you think it's realistic though? I'm saying this because they seemingly have to include a Tyrannosaurus in any set they release, and so far it doesn't have a known coloration.  :P

In any case, I'd love to see those genera you mentioned by Kaiyodo too. I'd include Beipiaosaurus in that set as well, which also has a known coloration and in addition, is the therizinosaurian with the best fossil remains. I guess they could also include their Borealopelta from 2018 in that set.

Sim

Kaiyodo has made a few prehistoric sets without a Tyrannosaurus, e.g. Paleozoic creatures, Great leaps in evolution, Marine reptiles, Ceratopsian excavation...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.