News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 20, 2024, 09:40:50 PMGotta disagree with you on that part. Stan Winston's jp designs were generally proportionally accurate, especially for the time, and if anything were a little undermuscled.
I agree.  As for Godzilla, packaging of an official toy I had of it when I was little said it was a dinosaur...

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 20, 2024, 09:40:50 PMGotta disagree with you on that part. Stan Winston's jp designs were generally proportionally accurate, especially for the time, and if anything were a little undermuscled. I'd consider this more of an early 2000s semi-inaccurate paleoart vibe.

Palaeoart is the idea ;)

Also there's a function in Zbrush called "dynamic perspective", once turned on the middle section of the sculpt i.e. areas closer to the centre point of the canvas would look larger/longer so those legs really aren't as disproportional as you thought, the lengths of femur, fibula, tibia and metatarsals are pretty accurate, yes it has slightly large feet but then again this is a toy so we need to put stability issues into consideration.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faelrin on April 19, 2024, 08:08:01 PMSurprised no one has shared this yet. Rebor is doing a remake of their Yutyrannus for the 10th anniversary of their company.

Much better then their previous attempt. Just feel like the legs are a bit overly muscled, but that's nothing new (see Kiss and Tusk). It also looks like the legs and arms are partially feathered and scaly? Not sure.
That's raw
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on April 20, 2024, 10:35:58 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 20, 2024, 09:40:50 PMGotta disagree with you on that part. Stan Winston's jp designs were generally proportionally accurate, especially for the time, and if anything were a little undermuscled. I'd consider this more of an early 2000s semi-inaccurate paleoart vibe.

Palaeoart is the idea ;)

Also there's a function in Zbrush called "dynamic perspective", once turned on the middle section of the sculpt i.e. areas closer to the centre point of the canvas would look larger/longer so those legs really aren't as disproportional as you thought, the lengths of femur, fibula, tibia and metatarsals are pretty accurate, yes it has slightly large feet but then again this is a toy so we need to put stability issues into consideration.

Not entirely sure the point here but if I'm understanding you correctly I'd reccomend turning that off for pictures as an orthographic view would be much better at conveying your model to the public.

Faelrin

I agree with avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo. Those designs were pretty good for the time, and is a major reason it helped push the dinosaur renaissance in the public mind. The only things that were fabricated were the downsizing of the Dilophosaurus, it's frill and venom (although the latter was from the novel), the upscaling of the Velociraptor (in name only, and Deinonychus in truth), and the Brachiosaurus chewing like a cow. Even the Dilophosaurus, and raptors had lips, something debated to this day.

Also I didn't mean the late 1990's adaption, but the original Toho dinosaur inspired renditions, which all used suits, and puppetry, up until the most recent films such as Shin Godzilla or Minus One (or the Legendary Monsterverse films) that are done with CGI. Anyways, my point was since you said you preferred thunder thighs, look no further:

The Godzilla suits from the Heisei era of films really beefed them up. One such example:

Funny enough even Stan Winston Studios designed a version of Godzilla for an unfortunately scrapped film.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Godzilla_(1994_film)

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Turkeysaurus

I appreciate detachable parts a lot. Small packaging helps me a lot at shipping cost but more importantly at customs. I hope there will be a titanosaur (or brachiosaurus) in future same way...

I have "Kiss" and "Catch the Rainbow" Both look amazing in overall.

Over9K

"REBOR Styracosaurus" is fun to say... 

stargatedalek

I'm just excited for that dragon, going to be grabbing that once it's available.

Primeval12

I just saw this post on Rebor's Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/eM1K17sbhbWgMUcV/

"Today marks REBOR's 10th anniversary but there's nothing to celebrate here. If it isn't for my employees' mortgages I would have closed the company back in May this year as it has already become a burden of mine. I hate every single bit of it with all my heart."

Really upsetting to hear this from the creator. I genuinely wish him the best :(

Carnoking

suspsy

If Rebor truly is verging on collapse, then they're certainly not doing themselves any favours with that post. But drama combined with poor decision-making is par for the course with them, always has been.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Why hate it? They've released a lot of great figures over the years that folks cherish. They should take pride in that fact.

Carnoking

Quote from: Faelrin on September 18, 2024, 06:18:24 PMWhy hate it? They've released a lot of great figures over the years that folks cherish. They should take pride in that fact.

They've always seemed to take great pride in their work, though not always in a good way. That said, in recent years, I feel like they've really come into their own and made some very strong and unique pieces.

The problem is that it's not all about the art. I'm sure the business side of things can get exhausting. I mean, we've heard plenty of stories about their nightmare dealings with certain factory owners, that alone has to be draining let alone keeping costs down, dealing with the logistics of distributors, and still making sure you're turning some profit.

Then there are the incessant detractors constantly decrying this, that, or the other thing about a new product while asking (or demanding) the release of something else. This isn't a REBOR exclusive issue of course, and anyone who creates anything in this world has to be braced for such responses to their work but people robbing you the satisfaction of a job well done can be incredibly upsetting from a creator standpoint.

I do hope to see REBOR continue given the cool stuff they had in the pipeline but ultimately if the decision is made to retire the company, I wouldn't harbor any resentment towards them for it.

Faelrin

Very good points there. I was wondering if it could strictly be running a business side of things, but wasn't sure. Considering your points that could be a big factor. I agree if they want to stop I won't resent them either. It's ultimately up to them.

SenSx

My question is: why ?
Why this post ?
Rebor is probably encountering issues we don't know.

Sure there are always haters, but they products are also beloved by others, it would not sell at all otherwise.
There are products I don't like, but others I love and that are here to stay forever in my collection.
Rebor Velociraptor are among the best on the market, and the best value wise.
Dino Dream is awesome, but the price is crazy.
Rebor Smilodon is pure art, and could even be interesting as decoration for someone who usually does not collect figures.
I have never said it, but Rebor Stegosaurus is the figure that gave me the most "omg" reaction when I unpacked it.
It's still the best on the market in my opinion, sure the HLG is nice, but it has no cheeks, so it all depends of which version you want.

mgaguilar

Not going to lie, that 10th anniversary post is actually wild. Airing laundry out like that is not the best look, but if they're in the situation where this kind of thing can be posted to social media, I really hope they're doing alright.

I love Rebor's stuff, affordable and very much on the fun side of collecting. I've bought a ton from them over the years but man, all I can do is hope they are all okay.

Pliosaurking

That's too bad. I only have several of their figures but all the ones I do have are up there as favourites in my collection. I too hope they continue on, but if they cannot that is understandable, with what they have said.

thomasw100

What you undo to the world, you undo to yourself.

Rayeknor

Would be a shame if Rebor went away, outside of very high end customs they do in my opinion put out the highest quality figures on the market when it comes to crispness of sculpts and details. It is clear that is a high priority, and harder to achieve in mass production then most people realize. It also eats at your margins so it is a passion from the company. I do not think we will see figures like their Kiss t-rex or Deinosuchus figures bested for a very long time.

The deinosuchus looks so real that I have scared my wife twice now for a couple seconds making her think I snuck in a pet crocodile, totally worth the money.

suspsy

I'll say this about Rebor as well: I've never cared that much for their products and I've really never cared at all for their arrogance and their lack of professionalism, maturity, and courtesy. Right from the get go, they behaved as though they were the greatest thing to ever hit the dinosaur toy collecting community. They blatantly copied Jurassic Park designs. They denigrated other companies and other artists. They praised their own products to the sky and lashed out at any and all criticism. They encouraged their fans to rating bomb reviews on the blog. They constantly teased new designs that never, ever transitioned off the screen and into physical form. They feuded with manufacturers. And now there's this post, the proverbial rotten cherry on top.

If they really do go under, well, I'm genuinely sorry for the artists who will have to look for new employment, but I reckon the dinosaur toy community will not suffer all that greatly at all. For one thing, Nanmu is still around to satisfy all the hardcore Jurassic World fans. And for another, between PNSO, Haolonggood, Eofauna, Safari, and CollectA, there's no shortage of high quality, scientifically accurate prehistoric toys to choose from.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: