News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Honestly I like them, but I'm a sucker for those sorta in between scale and keratin textures.

MLMjp

Honestly if it wasn't for the long horns these would be great as T. prorsus as the nose horn is quite prominet.

Gwangi

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 26, 2024, 06:50:37 PMAlso, for the record, our understanding of ankylosaurus has changed a bit in those 5 years lol, which can pretty clearly be seen by comparing the two figures. At the time PNSO's was the best, but Eofauna's really just blows it out of the water anatomically.

That's the thing though, isn't it? Our understanding is always changing! If folks want to replace their collection every five years, or with every new published paper, that's their prerogative. Sounds frustrating and exhausting to me. Chasing something that's constantly changing. Might as well skip Eofauna's because it will be obsolete in half a decade anyway. Then there will be another Ankylosaurus to replace it with, and another after that, and another after that.

Let's not get it twisted, I'm glad their are options for people. Ankylosaurus and Triceratops are classic favorites and are required in any respectable dinosaur collection. All these different styles and scales from different companies are great for collectors that want the elusive and ever-changing "definitive model" or those that want a diversity of models representing the same animal. I, for example, will be getting the HLG Trike. It's perfect for my tastes. I didn't like Eofauna's and PNSO's was overpriced. Now I have a new option. Great! And you have your Ankylosaurus. Also great! But the idea that a five year old model is now obsolete because a new one came onto the scene, it just doesn't sit well with me. Again, it makes me wonder what the point in collecting is. Virtually no one cared about Sede's tail when it was released. But then they heard that the tail was broken, and the claim was parroted across the internet by keyboard paleontologists, and now the toy is inaccurate and for a lot of people it needs to be replaced entirely for that reason. That style of collecting just comes across as wasteful and futile.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

No one said it was obsolete, I simply said that this one's better, and I'm glad it came around as personally the issues with PNSO's, however subtle, made me not want to get the figure. I think my biggest issues are the somewhat odd shape of the skull, the overly bendy tail, and the shape of the body that just feels a bit too rounded.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: MLMjp on September 26, 2024, 07:31:59 PMHonestly if it wasn`t for the long horns these would be great as T. prosurs as the nose horn is quite prominet.

Honestly, the horn length is within the range that imo it could totally just be the keratin making it so long.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 26, 2024, 07:12:55 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on September 26, 2024, 06:25:32 PMClearly Haolonggood can do great when they want it.  This is no Xenoceratops.

The paint scheme and sculpt look great for sure. But these two circular features on the frill are kind of strange.

"Kind of strage" means sexual display in paleontology.

Gwangi

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 26, 2024, 08:01:48 PMNo one said it was obsolete, I simply said that this one's better, and I'm glad it came around as personally the issues with PNSO's, however subtle, made me not want to get the figure. I think my biggest issues are the somewhat odd shape of the skull, the overly bendy tail, and the shape of the body that just feels a bit too rounded.

No one has said it yet, but there are definitely people thinking it and it will be expressed by more than a few people at some point. If not here then somewhere else. I'm just speaking in general about the nature of this hobby and the attitudes that prevail whenever one of these popular dinosaurs are released. I'm glad that you now have access to an Ankylosaurus that fits your criteria. I'm feeling similarly about the HLG Triceratops. It's funny that you find PNSO's Ankylosaurus too rounded as the Eofauna Ankylosaurus looks too angular to me, but I really need to see more of it. I don't have an issue with you preferring Eofauna over PNSO, that's fine. I just know that there are a slew of collectors that will now dispose of their PNSO model in favor of Eofauna's when they were swooning over it five years ago. The turnover rate for interest in a figure seems too short to me.

Turkeysaurus

Do We have any clue about prices of HLG Trike and Eofauna Anky?

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on September 26, 2024, 08:18:31 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on September 26, 2024, 07:12:55 PMThe paint scheme and sculpt look great for sure. But these two circular features on the frill are kind of strange.

"Kind of strage" means sexual display in paleontology.

It is perfectly fine that there are flashy color accents on the frill, this makes a lot of sense for sexual display and intraspecific and interspecific identification.

What I meant is that these round structures are below the surface of the frill and their rim has a rather sharp contact.

Turkeysaurus

I have PNSO Torosaurus already so Green is the one for me, no doubt.

Sim

I think the last time there was a discussion here about the PNSO Ankylosaurus's tail, it was concluded that it could be exaggerated due to warping.  Similar to the Wild Safari 2019 Styracosaurus's horns.  If one still considers the tail inaccurate, I wouldn't necessarily rank the PNSO behind the Safari and Eofauna versions.  This is because the Safari has those oddly shaped neck osteoderms that were popular on Ankylosaurus for a while (the Carnegie version has them too), but which are now thought to be due to misinterpreting broken osteoderms, with their real shape being like those of other ankylosaurids.  And as for the Eofauna version, I think I remember Victoria Arbour saying that ankylosaurids probably couldn't raise their tail high.  I think all three of these Ankylosaurus figures are excellent.

I do find myself understanding what avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi is saying.  The Eofauna Ankylosaurus is good for those who weren't satisfied with previous options!  I don't quite understand why people in this hobby can be so dismissive of figures though.  Some of the criticisms I see seem to be just nitpicking, for example the criticism that scales are being emphasised too much, that the detail is somehow overly emphasised or under emphasised at the same time, that something looks too much like a toy, etc..  People in the modern animal figure hobby are more tolerant of imperfections and I wonder why.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on September 26, 2024, 08:52:07 PMI think the last time there was a discussion here about the PNSO Ankylosaurus's tail, it was concluded that it could be exaggerated due to warping.  Similar to the Wild Safari 2019 Styracosaurus's horns.  If one still considers the tail inaccurate, I wouldn't necessarily rank the PNSO behind the Safari and Eofauna versions.  This is because the Safari has those oddly shaped neck osteoderms that were popular on Ankylosaurus for a while (the Carnegie version has them too), but which are now thought to be due to misinterpreting broken osteoderms, with their real shape being like those of other ankylosaurids.  And as for the Eofauna version, I think I remember Victoria Arbour saying that ankylosaurids probably couldn't raise their tail high.  I think all three of these Ankylosaurus figures are excellent.

I do find myself understanding what avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi is saying.  The Eofauna Ankylosaurus is good for those who weren't satisfied with previous options!  I don't quite understand why people in this hobby can be so dismissive of figures though.  Some of the criticisms I see seem to be just nitpicking, for example the criticism that scales are being emphasised too much, that the detail is somehow overly emphasised or under emphasised at the same time, that something looks too much like a toy, etc..  People in the modern animal figure hobby are more tolerant of imperfections and I wonder why.

Might as well have just quoted me lol, ultimately this is a forum to share opinions, big or small, and what matters to one might not to others for many reasons, atistry, budget, etc,

Takama

V @vampiredesign

Way to go on the Triceratops

No can we get a Tyrannosaurus Redux?

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I second this, I'd love to see more theropods from HLG!

empire3569

The green version looks pretty similar to the Prehistoric Planet triceratops (stripes are a bit different) if anyone is looking for a model based on the show

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on September 26, 2024, 10:00:24 PMV @vampiredesign

Way to go on the Triceratops

No can we get a Tyrannosaurus Redux?

I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'd buy it, naturally, but I'd still rather see Bistahieversor, Dynamoterror, and Teratophoneus first.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have yet to buy a PNSO or Eofauna Trike so I guess  I can get this one. I do have https://www.facebook.com/guilherme.bilinski Triceratops on order too though.   

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

From Lanatimeshop :

QuoteHAOLONGGOOD 1:35 Scale Triceratops Model
Triceratops Size: 9" L(230MM)  x 5.5" H(140MM)
Price: 39.99 USD, free shipping(US)
Please click the link on our home page to search for "Triceratops " or order it directly via Order Link(www.lanatime-shop.com/products/hao042)

Abobo

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: