News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

RECUR - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 30, 2024, 07:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Concavenator on August 20, 2024, 11:18:23 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on April 03, 2024, 07:06:56 PM

I'm curious about that Dilophosaurus. At a first glance, its proportions look pretty good, this could be the most accurate static Dilophosaurus figure. Looks like it's fairly big however, so in that case, I'm likely to just prefer the BotM overall.
But still curious about this Recur one. I don't know where to get Recur figures, either.

IDK bout that tho, it looks pretty monstrous too me, and usually I'm the LAST person to call figures out for that lol  :))

Primeval12

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12 said Recur told him the ones that will be released in September are the Mosasaurus, the Triceratops and the Brachiosaurus. So presumably the rest (Dilophosaurus, Carnotaurus, etc) will be coming later.

Thank you for the info regardless!

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 It may be a bit gnarly, but it still appears to be accurate. I'd say the two most important factors to consider when it comes to making an up-to-date Dilophosaurus depiction are: the crests being formed by the nasal and lacrimal bones, and its proportions being accurately depicted. And looks like this Recur one fulfills both. When proportions are concerned, here's a (post-2020) skeletal for reference:

Dilophosaurus skeletal by randomdimos.

The other post-2020 Dilophosaurus static figures are HLG's, which get the crests right but clearly has a torso that's not long enough, and CollectA's, which appears to have an elongated torso, but has a head that might be too small (?) and has oversized feet. So I'd feel confident calling this Recur the most accurate static Dilophosaurus figure for the moment. Admittedly, I prefer the less gnarly look of the HLG (and its sculpting, color scheme and paint application too), but I have to be objective, aesthetics and accuracy are two different things.

Of course, static figures aside, there's the BotM one. I think that one is the best Dilophosaurus model so far, I'd deem that one even better than the Recur due to it having lips, which the Recur doesn't seem to have (can't really tell though, based on what we've seen). I also prefer the BotM's sculpt, colors, and that it is feathered.

Going back to Recur, it's impressive how much they've improved, and I applaud them for that. Schleich could certainly take a note or two, and maybe Papo as well (though their new Suchomimus is pretty good, hopefully they will keep releasing pieces with a comparable quality).

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2024, 02:46:33 PMThe other post-2020 Dilophosaurus static figures are HLG's, which get the crests right but clearly has a torso that's not long enough, and CollectA's, which appears to have an elongated torso, but has a head that might be too small (?) and has oversized feet. So I'd feel confident calling this Recur the most accurate static Dilophosaurus figure for the moment. Admittedly, I prefer the less gnarly look of the HLG (and its sculpting, color scheme and paint application too), but I have to be objective, aesthetics and accuracy are two different things.

Comparing the collecta Dilophosaurus to the skeletal you posted in real time, the torso and head look just about the right size. The only discrepancy is the giant pair of feet. I think the shape of the crests is what makes the skulk look smaller.

crazy8wizard

Also interestingly enough the skull (minus the crests) looks pretty similar to the diagram seen in Marsh's 2020 redescription, but this is probably a coincidence since it's just the same genus.

Faelrin

A @Andysdinosaurreviews already has the Mosasaurus and reviewed it:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Mosasaurus, Triceratops and Brachiosaurus now available from Lana Time:

https://lanatime-shop.com/search?type=product&q=Recur

Dimorphodon and Tyrannosaurus are stated to be released in September.

Over9K

Quote from: Concavenator on August 27, 2024, 11:48:37 AMMosasaurus, Triceratops and Brachiosaurus now available from Lana Time:

https://lanatime-shop.com/search?type=product&q=Recur

Dimorphodon and Tyrannosaurus are stated to be released in September.

Finally!! Thank you for pointing out Lana Time were hiding them on their site! I'm psyched for the Rex and the Giga...

Prehistory Resurrection

Prehistory Resurrection

Over9K

I just unboxed the Trike and WOW.

The sculpt is impressive with a nice, fine granularity to the detail. The paint app is executed well, with a nice wash letting the detail pop. I was expecting there to be something about the figure overall that gave away that this was a RECUR product, flat paint, or soft, spotty detail, but no, this is a nice figure all around.

Even the "human-esque" front right foot isn't near as bad on the final piece, as it appeared in the promos.

The box presentation is taken right out of the PNSO/Haolonggood play book, with a plastic try nestling the figure, inside a nicely printed sleeve. You get the Trike, and a very nice black & white plastic, textured, creditcard-ish art card with a render of the figure on the front, and some stats on the back.

Overall, I'm completely won over by RECUR' new direction. I cannot wait for the coming theropods!!

Here it is with some other ceratopsians from various manufacturers.

Flaffy

Is the Recur Trike based off of T. prorsus or T. horridus? Might try tracking one down if it's the former.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Flaffy on September 14, 2024, 02:18:30 AMIs the Recur Trike based off of T. prorsus or T. horridus? Might try tracking one down if it's the former.

The placement of the nose horn and shape of the brow horns is making me think it's horridus

Nyrorosaurus

New image of their Deinocheirus-headed Therizinosaurus

stargatedalek

I like it, seems just as reasonable a reconstruction to base its missing head on a similar herbivore from the same environment as basing it's head on relatives a tenth of its size from completely different environments.

Sim

Deinocheirus isn't a herbivore as it ate fish.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Sim on September 28, 2024, 05:25:42 PMDeinocheirus isn't a herbivore as it ate fish.

wait, are there gut contents?

Sim

crazy8wizard

Well regardless of it being a carnivore/omnivore it doesn't seem all that reasonable to base the head of therizinosaurus off deinocheirus. Therizinosaurs are maniraptorans and are much more derived than ornithomimosaurs, so that would be like putting a tapejarid head on an azhdarchid; related and reasonably close, but definitely wrong.
Not to mention that other therizinosaurs skulls exist and are quite different from deinocheirus.

thomasw100

Probably a hybrid escaped from Isla Sorna?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: