News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo 2022 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, February 01, 2021, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on September 30, 2022, 12:49:24 PMI think Papo would have a clear degree over PNSO if they did that, as Papo models are;
1. More affordable
2. Able to be used as toys
3. Still close to the same detail despite that

I am unsure if Papo would ever want to do such, though. PNSO has set itself on a clear throne among the various companies, and I don't think it would seem to be worth it for Papo.
Surprisingly I've seen PNSO models to be more affordable than Papo's. Yes, noawdays the price hike in PNSO models are apparent; however, their early mid-size models like the Lambeosaurus, Sauropelta, Tuojiangosaurus, etc. are all cheaper than a majority of Papo's models.

Papo's Gorgosaurus, a tiny figure I might add, is $30 most places. Same price as PNSO's "Nanotyrannus" (juvi rex), another tiny figure.

Brings up the argument that they are honestly either equal in price or varies per figure.

My whole thing with this "Papo revival" is that really nothing will change, or Papo just will go under in general, if the artist stops with these either wonky proportions, poses, or monster like sculpt work. Again, I'd like to see Papo go into the scientifically accurate market, but I don't see that happening due to their previous releases. They make great animal toys/figures, so that's really their strong suit in my opinion.

Lynx

I have never seen the Papo Gorgosaurus go for 30 dollars anywhere really, do you have a link to said shops that sell it for that price? Might be due to us being in different parts of the world.

For me, PNSO shipping prices are crazy high, bought a 60-dollar Winter Wilson that ended up being around 100$.

However, I do agree that quite a few Papo models are more expensive than PNSOS or equal in price. However, Papo has a large advantage considering their figures are made more for children, this generally appeals to more people and sells better.

I really doubt in Papo coming back, but it is not impossible.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Papo's pterosaurs have been from absolutely terrible to mediocre at best.  I think starting a new thread for hopes for Papo would be a good idea, as Papo's 2022 plans are known.

Lynx

I have seen mixed thoughts regarding their pterosaurs, I am a big fan of them despite funky anatomy
An oversized house cat.

SpartanSquat

I really hope papo recovers to its glory days. But these last 2 years...were not the ebst and Im worry because the mosa was removed and probably cancelled. Im starting to worry for their future

Sim

I don't think Papo will change much.  On Everything Dinosaur, their worst figures are rated 5 stars e.g. Chilesaurus, Giganotosaurus, Amargasaurus, Tylosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon.  The Giga and Chile are even among Papo's most popular figures.

Link to Everything Dinosaur's Papo section with figures ordered by popularity: https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product-category/dinosaur-models-and-inflatables/papo-dinosaurs-and-papo-prehistoric-animal-models/?product_count=48&product_orderby=popularity

SidB

Quote from: Sim on October 01, 2022, 07:27:41 PMI don't think Papo will change much.  On Everything Dinosaur, their worst figures are rated 5 stars e.g. Chilesaurus, Giganotosaurus, Amargasaurus, Tylosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon.  The Giga and Chile are even among Papo's most popular figures.

Link to Everything Dinosaur's Papo section with figures ordered by popularity: https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product-category/dinosaur-models-and-inflatables/papo-dinosaurs-and-papo-prehistoric-animal-models/?product_count=48&product_orderby=popularity
That goes to show that there's a big gulf between collectors and the general public. No surprise.

Halichoeres

Oh man, that's depressing. As much as Papo's reputation among collectors has declined, I guess children must like them as much as ever. Like I always say, kids have terrible taste in almost everything.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on October 01, 2022, 07:27:41 PMI don't think Papo will change much.  On Everything Dinosaur, their worst figures are rated 5 stars e.g. Chilesaurus, Giganotosaurus, Amargasaurus, Tylosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon.  The Giga and Chile are even among Papo's most popular figures.

Pretty much everything with reviews on ED is rated 5 stars. It isn't a papo-specific issue.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GiganotosaurusFan

Hey, I'm twelve, and while the Giga isn't THAT bad(cutting it a lot of slack), the Chilesaurus...
A lot of people might have just bought it to lambaste it on video reviews or to see for themselves. Again, as somebody said in the forum, there's always a taste for macabre garbage as much as refined excellence.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.