You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Using other figures to represent different species.

Started by Remko, November 14, 2022, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

This will be a similar thread to Using Extant figures as Prehistoric species.

But instead of using extant animal figures to represent prehistoric species, what about using larger or smaller prehistoric figures as different species.

For example, the large Safari Citipati could be used as a 1/40th or 1/35th Gigantoraptor, or it's North American counterpart, which hasn't been found, but is inferred based on large nests, similar to those found in China and South Korea.

The other way around, the CollectA Daxiatitan could be used as a smaller species of Titanosaur. Sauropods had a similar bodyplan, but came in a variety of sizes, and most of them are  only known from scarce remains like a femur, humerus, perhaps a pelvis and some vertabrae.

It will be more difficult with the higher priced and detailed figures from PNSO or the many 3d printed offerings, but with the general dinosaur toy figures from CollectA, Safari and Papo this might be an idea.

Anybody else who does this?

Fembrogon

I don't typically worry about that these days; but when I was a kid, I absolutely used my Carnegie Allosaurus (1st mold) as a substitute Giganotosaurus alongside my Wild Safari theropods.

I recall people speculating that PNSO's Zuchengtyrannus might make a better T. rex than PNSO's actual rex models, and now that I've got the former I think I can see why.

Halichoeres

I've seen people use some of the homelier Dunkleosteus figures as Coccosteus instead.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

I've done this a bit.   Schleich Oviraptor as Citipati, which is what it's head is actually based on.  I replaced the legs with more slender scale legs and it looked a lot better.  I used a modified Schleich Anhuangera as a female Pteranodon to pair with the Safari Pteranodon......the size difference was spot on.  Modified a Schleich Spinosaurus into an Irritator.

I used the Collecta Moropus as a 1/18 scale Ancylotherium.  I used the Rebor Grab N Go T rex as a Lythronax, suitably modified.  I've probably done others but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

dinofelid

A few I just posted on this thread about small dinosaurs at 1:35 scale:

Quote from: dinofelid on November 15, 2022, 05:15:46 PMalthough the Kaiyodo Utahraptor and Ornithomimus shown here don't work at 1:35 scale if you go with those names, you could treat the Utahraptor as an Achillobator and the Ornithomimus as a Struthiomimus sedens, then they'd both be about right for 1:35 aside from the fact that once again the tails are proportionally a bit too short. And the Kaiyodo Oviraptor could maybe double as Anzu wyliei at 1:35, or maybe the "Big Mama" Citipati.

oscars_dinos

Don't some people use pnso's mamenchisaurus as a species of a smaller mamenchisaurus to make the 1/35 scale more accurate? I don't remember the details on that to clearly

Concavenator

Quote from: Fembrogon on November 14, 2022, 11:09:04 PMI recall people speculating that PNSO's Zuchengtyrannus might make a better T. rex than PNSO's actual rex models, and now that I've got the former I think I can see why.

I can see why someone might use the Zhuchengtyrannus as a stand-in Tyrannosaurus. First of all, Zhuchengtyrannus is quite fragmentary (only known from a maxilla and lower jaw which aren't even complete) so its real appearance is unknown, and thereby, is greatly inspired by Tyrannosaurus (a copy-paste). So you'd basically end up having mostly a Tyrannosaurus figure. If the resulting Tyrannosaurus figure is more accurate to Tyrannosaurus (because how do you mess up accuracy based on those remains?) than a legit Tyrannosaurus figure in question, you could argue the former makes for a better representation than the latter, despite being a different genus. And an advantage the Zhucheng has over Wilson is that it doesn't have oversized scales, so there's that (not to mention it's also cheaper as it's not part of the museum series).

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Remko on November 14, 2022, 10:57:18 PMFor example, the large Safari Citipati could be used as a 1/40th or 1/35th Gigantoraptor, or it's North American counterpart, which hasn't been found, but is inferred based on large nests, similar to those found in China and South Korea.

I do the same with mine.
I also use a lot of out-of-scale Toob figures for smaller relatives of the species they represent. I have some small Iguanodons that stand in for Zalmoxes, for example.

GojiraGuy1954

My PNSO Tylosaurus is a Mosasaurus as far as i'm concerned
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SenSx

I'm thinking of using the Schleich Baryonyx as a Suchomimus, despite its flaws.
The Safari one has better sculpt but bad pose and is too small to my tastes.

Also either the Papo or Schleich Komodo Dragon as a Megalania.

Halichoeres

The various JW Lystrosaurus figures probably work better as Placerias or Kannemeyeria.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

andrewsaurus rex

I didn't even know there was a JW Lystrosaurus .  Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it for my collection.

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

andrewsaurus rex

those illustrations use the now outdated 10:1 head to body length proportions..  Does that effect the accuracy of the reconstruction of the flipper morphology?

Kapitaenosavrvs

I have absolutely no problem with colourations i do not like and also no problem with using figures for another Animal, if that makes sense and works better. In the End i do not care what the Figure is named after from a Company. This is maybe more important, if they thought about something while making it, but if it fits another Animal better, i'll take that. Also i like changing Figures.

Depends also on how much we and i know about the Fossil/Animal itself. A generic Spinosaur without a Sail is quite easy. There is a lot of room often. Other cases make it hard. But then again: everybody has a different approach on this.

What i know is: i love seeing custom altered Figures. What a surprise.:D

Georassic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Leyster on December 16, 2022, 08:39:19 AMavatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 they have vastly different flipper morphology

They still look the same because of the soft tissue PNSO added on
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Leyster

A @andrewsaurus rex yeah, you're right. I was in a hurry and mistaken it for Incinerox's version. Here is it.

As you can see, avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 , all the soft tissue can't make them look "the same": different flipper morphology and different proportions. Mosasaurus and Tylosaurus were quite different, quite removed animals. The confusion is caused by the fact that many popular Mosasaurus restoration use Tylosaurus body and proportions (even Saurian's one).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

The Jurassic World Captivz "blind bag" egg Therizinosaurus makes an excellent 1:40 Nothronychus!
Too bad it's impossible to "cheat" with the Captivz in order to get the specific model you want...

Halichoeres

Schleich's Postosuchus is a better match for Ticinosuchus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: