News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nasutuceratops titusi

Started by Seijun, July 17, 2013, 09:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/newly-found-american-dinosaur-had-big-nose-huge-horns-130716.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

After a little research I discovered that this species is old news, but I can't remember ever seeing him before. I think he's one of the coolest-looking ceratopsians yet!

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Those brow horns are odd in that they look so much like some contemporary animals..a case of convergent evolution again I suppose. :)

Concavenator

Very cool new ceratopsian!OM.G in these last years paleontologist has discovered a LOT of ceratopsians(Kosmoceratops,Utahceratops,Diabloceratops,Vagaceratops,Coauilaceratops,Medusaceratops...and this one(plus more)).Another ceratopsian to the list of cool,new,exotic ceratopsians :)

CityRaptor

More like bulls look like Nasutuceratops.

If you think about it, a lot Mammals are actually like Mammalian Versions of Dinosaurs. Or atleast more or less.
Ceratopsians - Bovids & Rhinos
Ornithopods - Horses
Ankylosauria - Armadillos...especially the giant Armadillos of the past.
Sauropods - Elephants +  Giraffes, or Paraceratherium
Theropods - various Carnivora. A Bear is probably the equivalent to Spinosaurus, while the Spotted Hyena would be Tyrannosaurus.
Avian Dinosaurs - Bats
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 17, 2013, 09:45:55 PM
More like bulls look like Nasutuceratops.

If you think about it, a lot Mammals are actually like Mammalian Versions of Dinosaurs. Or atleast more or less.
Ceratopsians - Bovids & Rhinos
Ornithopods - Horses
Ankylosauria - Armadillos...especially the giant Armadillos of the past.
Sauropods - Elephants +  Giraffes, or Paraceratherium
Theropods - various Carnivora. A Bear is probably the equivalent to Spinosaurus, while the Spotted Hyena would be Tyrannosaurus.
Avian Dinosaurs - Bats

Yup, the players change but the game stays the same.

Takama

Now thats one Badass Ceratopsian.

Companeys who are watching this should make one

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on July 18, 2013, 12:18:19 AM
Now thats one Badass Ceratopsian.

Companeys who are watching this should make one

It is, I posted it as my computer wallpaper this morning when I saw it on Brian Switek's blog, finally replacing John Conway's Stegosaurus which had been on my background since April I think.

tyrantqueen

Maybe it's just the artist's style (and don't get me wrong, I love Andrey Atuchin's artwork) but the horns remind me of those trophies you sometimes see mounted on the wall in rich people's houses

Concavenator

This is the most bull-like ceratopsian I know! :)
CollectA could do a great one

Everything_Dinosaur

Provincial Ceratopsians, instead of a uniform fauna over the Western Interior Basin during the Late Cretaceous there seems to have been distinct communities of horned dinosaurs that evolved, plenty of choice for model manufacturers with many more horned dinosaurs awaiting discovery.

Everything_Dinosaur

Certainly a weird looking Centrosaurine, the point about thinking about Ceratopsians being like the bovines of today, the Ankylosaurs like the armadillos, etc is interesting.  Back in the Late Cretaceous, the terrestrial flora that supported all these herbivorous dinosaurs was very similar to today's.  So it is not surprising to see various ecological niches being filled by animals that have some similar features.  Ecosystems and the food chains within them were similar, just different actors on the stage fitting into the various roles.

TheAllosaur

My dad knows the guy it's named after, Alan Titus. He lives not far from my home.
Part-time genius!

Jetoar

Wonderful new ceratopsian  ^-^ I think that some day the paleontologist will found a Ceratopsian like as Elasmotherium  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

You mean like this Jeoter?

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Pachyrhinosaurus

I am enjoying the big wave of unusual ceratopsids being discovered in the past years, they appear to be more unusual with every discovery. Many, including this one would have been beyond the limits of my imagination.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

s.foulkes

After reviewing the skull information on this new Ceratopsian, the horn structure is very similar to what Audrey has done but not exactly, he made it look just like a modern Bull (bovine) of today, but an over view of Nasutuceratops Titusi has the horns curving inward not back out again. definitely not a defensive structure. Also this is one of the smallest "large" Horned ceratopsians, they only stand about 60" tall at the back and only have about a 48 " long skull. the length would have been 14 to 15 feet at the most. this animal was smaller than Styracosaur but larger than Zuniceratops .
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.