News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Animal Models with Prey in their Mouths - Yes or No?

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, August 01, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything_Dinosaur

One of the things that has come up over discussions with regards to the Collecta Ichthyovenator (due for release in 2014) and currently being prepared for tooling is the fact that the prototype shows a fish in the dinosaur's mouth.  The premise is that this Spinosaurid lived in an environment where there were lots of rivers, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that these types of dinosaur were fish-eaters, so the model is going to be posed as if a fish has been caught.

How do you feel about models being depicted with prey items in their mouth?  Bullyland made a Pterosaur model (P. sternbergi) which had a saw-fish in its jaws but the model could be taken out if required, are there any strong views either way as to whether or not it is a good idea to depict animals with prey items?

therizinosaurus

Love the Bullyland Pteranodon with the removable fish, I think allowing the prey to be taken out is a good way to go. But then again, I love the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus and Invicta Baryonyx, which both have prey, so I'm kind of torn. I guess if it's done well, I don't mind too much.

deanm

Strictly my opinion - as others have their own opinions also...  :))

I'm good with a prey item in the mouth of a carnivore. I'm also good with herbivores, etc having their various food items in their mouths too.

The ability to remove the "food item" from the open mouth is nice to have but not limiting feature for me.

Ikessauro

Quote from: deanm on August 01, 2013, 06:39:36 PM
Strictly my opinion - as others have their own opinions also...  :))

I'm good with a prey item in the mouth of a carnivore. I'm also good with herbivores, etc having their various food items in their mouths too.

The ability to remove the "food item" from the open mouth is nice to have but not limiting feature for me.

DITTO

tyrantqueen

I'd like to be able to remove the prey item- I want the freedom to choose how my model is displayed. The same with bases. If I can remove the figure from the base, I am more inclined to purchase it.

Concavenator

Yes,I want these kind of items.I like the fact that the new Ichthyovenator model includes a fish on its base,is a very original idea the CollectA team have put on this piscivorous dinosaur.I want more products for the CollectA range like the T-rex with prey in the aspect that you can really create wonderful dioramas,and represents how was exactly these creature's live.
From my point of view it would be appropiate,so yes.

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 01, 2013, 07:04:49 PM
I'd like to be able to remove the prey item- I want the freedom to choose how my model is displayed. The same with bases. If I can remove the figure from the base, I am more inclined to purchase it.

Couldn't agree more on both aspects. But even if it's not removable, I'm not against the notion of prey (or bases), you don't see that all too often after all.

Takama

Personaly.  I don't care if a model has a prey item or not.  I love collectas eating Trex with base.

SBell

I think I've made myself clear--I like the prey idea, and I really like it when the prey can be removed.

Jetoar

Quote from: SBell on August 02, 2013, 12:14:04 AM
I think I've made myself clear--I like the prey idea, and I really like it when the prey can be removed.

I think the same that you friend  ^-^. Removed figure is a good idea.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tanystropheus

I would like models to give you the freedom to remove (or pry out) the prey. There was a rather classy custom Spinosaurus on Ebay  (airbrushed red-violet or something to that effect), that was sold alongside fish prey. The fish was realistic (not some afterthought gimmick), and being a Papo model and all, it naturally allowed for moveable jaw.

Blade-of-the-Moon

People love options.  Make the prey item removable and the bases removable for those that don't want them.  As a kid I like making my dinosaurs fight and catch figures before eating them. Hard to do if the  prey animal is constantly there.  It's also good if you want to make herds and packs so they aren't all eating. Setting a figure up on a base is good for when your not playing them or as a collector want to display them.

David Phantomhive

I think removable prey would cool, but if a dino is awesome, it would not make a difference to me.  I do understand the reasoning why some would prefer removable or no prey at all.  8)

Bokisaurus

Since dinos with prey are rare, I personally don't care much if the prey is removable or  not, either way works for me ;D There are only a few dino figures with prey out there, so I do hope CollectA  continues with this series.
One problem with detachable prey for me is that they eventually get lost when separated. I could not locate the fish that came with that Bully pterosaur, or the dead baby para that came with a theropod :-\

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Megalosaurus

Hi Everything_Dinosaur

I agree 1000%.
I'd like to have predators with removable prey, and herbivores with removable food. And both with proper feet and removable bases.

*orthocone*
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Goldensamuel

This is just my opinion, but i think having a food item in the figures mouth ( detachable or not ) makes it better for dioramas. but if its not going to be in any sort of diorama or scene i really don't care if the food item can be removed or not.   :))

dinohunter24

Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 02, 2013, 07:20:51 PM
Hi Everything_Dinosaur

I agree 1000%.
I'd like to have predators with removable prey, and herbivores with removable food. And both with proper feet and removable bases.

*orthocone*

Agree as long as everything is removable like Favorite base.  Base is extra, not for leg support.  If the model can't stand no matter how detail it is it is a no buy for me.  My Papo Spino and Allosaurus stand very well cause I bought it in store and could test which one could stand and which one couldn't. 

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.