News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Toys

Started by Seijun, September 01, 2013, 08:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

So a few times in other threads it has come up... Whether a certain dinosaur figure counts as a toy, or a model, or how difficult it would be to actually play with, etc. When you were a kid, what sorts of toys did you play with that would not have traditionally counted as toys?

I had several plaster dragon statues that I played with. They were meant to be collectables (as they were very expensive and delicate). My favorite is absolutely covered in little chips and scrapes from all her adventures, and each chip has a different story behind it.

I was also very picky about what my toys looked like. I was not usually very happy with how realistic my toys were. Dragons were always too cartoony, wolves always looked like huskies, etc. So instead I would draw animals on paper (or find pictures in magazines), laminate them, and cut them out. I must have made hundreds of little paper animal cutouts over the years that I played with. I still have a drawer at home filled with all my old favorites. Mostly deer, wolves, eagles, griffins, and dragons.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

I didn't come from a particularly rich family so expensive collectibles were not common in my household. I played with mostly second hand toys, not much else.

QuoteI was also very picky about what my toys looked like. I was not usually very happy with how realistic my toys were. Dragons were always too cartoony, wolves always looked like huskies, etc. So instead I would draw animals on paper (or find pictures in magazines), laminate them, and cut them out. I must have made hundreds of little paper animal cutouts over the years that I played with. I still have a drawer at home filled with all my old favorites. Mostly deer, wolves, eagles, griffins, and dragons.
Sounds like you were an imaginative kid ;) I was like that too. I used to spend hours playing by myself or with my sisters.

Seijun

My parents were very poor also :) but my grandmother would buy me one of the plaster dragons each year because I was in love with them and never wanted anything else, lol
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Takama

I just played with whatever my parents spoiled me with.   However, I did play with my Carnegie Dinos, but not roughly.

all of them are still in my collection to this day

amargasaurus cazaui

When I was young I had lots of the tootsie toy sandbox hollow dinosaurs, marx dinosaurs and an Mpc playset as well.....these dinosaurs were the minions of my larger godzilla model, and several aurora, airfix, pyro and other odd and end model dinosaurs. I have since replaced my Mpc and marx sets with very nice ones and Martin has gotten to rebuild, repaint and repair the some fifty odd years of damage, neglect and use given the model figures.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

I have been collecting figures as long as I can think. I played with the Schleich minis in the late 60s. They were my heroes and were experiencing hundreds of great adventures some of them didn't even survive. They had to be substituted.
I was collecting all figures I could lay my hands on ;D. At a very young age I even stole some from the toy store (No kids ... do not imitate this C:-)!). I just had to have a figure when I liked it. I was collecting all kinds of animals, smurfs, barbapapas, Asterix characters, knights, super heroes, Lego, Playmobil ..... etc. ..... Dinosaurs have always been the Number One, but were fiercely competing with the smurfs at about age 4 - 5 ;D. I was also reading and collecting comic books. So not really much has been changing throughout the years :-\ ;D.

Jetoar

When I was a child. I played with my Dino-Riders and Jurassic Park toys but I played with care ever  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Zhuchengotyrant

-Zhuchengotyrant

Concavenator

I played with some goofy looking schleich dinosaurs like their old running T-rex.I didn't care so much for them.All changed when I got my 1st Carnegie,the Giganotosaurus.Then I became careful lol  ;D

Zhuchengotyrant

Jain Andres, that's my story about Dino figures, too
Except, my first model was the Carnegie Baryonyx I got at Disney. :)
-Zhuchengotyrant