News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2016

Started by tyrantqueen, October 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek.McManus

Quote from: pylraster on September 08, 2016, 03:03:28 PM
Or the Barapasaurus could have been inspired by unmasked Deadpool.

Sold out in my local toy shop!

joossa

TRU was well stocked with Schleich today.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 08, 2016, 02:55:42 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 08, 2016, 11:07:36 AM
I'm actually quite fond of the ammonite! Such a shame that it is a box exclusive set. (darn you Schleich with your exclusive figures)
Can anyone identify the what species the flying fish like thing is?

I think it's Potanichthys or Thoracopterus. It looks just like this reconstruction from the description of Potanichthys:

I want the advent calendar just for that fish (and for the frog, to a lesser extent). Also, I kind of want to watch that unboxing, but I definitely don't want to spend 40 minutes doing so.

So here's a question--any idea what the frog is supposed to be? In the Advent Calendar it is an 'exclusive' but the same mold (different colour) is found with the volcano set.

Halichoeres

I couldn't figure that out. It's pretty hard to find good info on Mesozoic frogs. I waded through a couple of descriptions, but there just isn't enough externally visible detail on a frog that small to guess. It could be Callobatrachus, Mesophyrne, Prosalirus, Triadobatrachus, or Veiraella. And the temporal and geographic composition of both sets is so incoherent that you can't infer from the other figures like you can with fish accessories to plesiosaurs and pterosaurs. So....that's a long winded way of shrugging.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

sometimes a frog is just a frog.  O:-)

Halichoeres

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 03, 2016, 04:52:40 PM

Yeah, that's about the size of it. The only thing special about the Schleich one is that it has a tiny tail.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 03, 2016, 06:58:52 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on November 03, 2016, 04:52:40 PM

Yeah, that's about the size of it. The only thing special about the Schleich one is that it has a tiny tail.

Well...maybe that's a hint toward a Triassic one? The fish is Triassic after all.

Not sure about the anmmonites. Maybe they are a ceratitic Triassic form as well? Because it can't really be not-proven!

Besides...Potanichthys xingyiensis (=Thoracopterus wushaensis?) was described alongside Parasturia, a ceratitic form from China!

https://paleobiodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl?a=basicCollectionSearch&collection_no=122723

Hilariously, that could almost identify it!

For more fun...Parasturia is also know from Triassic deposits in Italy--where Thoracopterus has also been found (although...slightly different ages, Ladinian for the former, Julian-Alaunian for the latter)!

But no direct overlaps with any frogs.

CityRaptor

Knowing Schleich, they probably just googled "Prehistoric Frog" or something like that. Maybe in German...

Also the magazine with the blue Mini Triceratops is coming out on November 19th.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.