News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2016

Started by tyrantqueen, October 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Mo_the_Triceratops_King on July 04, 2016, 09:37:05 PM
Got mine 3 today. I can really recommend the Barapasaurus and the fish, the herrasaurus has some wierd long theets in a block form and a strange eye. But nice skin and a decent pose.
Im most impressed by Barapasaurus its bigger than i thought. I love the detail on the face of the dino and the blue spots on the back. The dunkleostus is nice aswell, bigger than the safari one but both look awesome in detail.
I can add pics if u want.

Can you make a pic of the Herrerasaurus next to some other Schleich dinosaurs? I want to know how big it really is before I decide if I'm going to buy it.

CityRaptor

Well, looks like we will get a repaint of the Mini T.rex this year:

Am Kiosk sind die DINOSAURS los! Und wie! Nämlich mit unserem NEUEN Magazin SCHLEICH DINOSAURS! Hier dreht sich alles um die Giganten der Urzeit. Mit jeder Menge spannender Fakten und Action - und natürlich Comics! In der ersten Ausgabe zum Beispiel entdecken unsere Helden die Insel der Dinos und lernen den Spinosaurus Sam näher kennen. Und das können Sie und Ihre Kinder auch – eine limitierte originale SCHLEICH-Figur eines Spinosaurus liegt der Ausgabe als Extra bei!

According to the text the Spinosaurus is named Sam. Apparently there is also a comic about someone discovering an Island of Dinosaurs. So basically a Lost World scenario.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Just what we needed, more misinformation marketed to children.

CityRaptor

Actually looks very similar to Blue Ocean's Dinosaurier Magazine, going by the themes and horrible CG Dinosaur on the cover.
http://dinosaurier.blue-ocean.de/magazin/15
http://dinosaurier.blue-ocean.de/archiv/15
The Schleich one at least has a Dinosaur-related freebie. The Dinosaurier one has generic stuff most of the time. And it has a terrible comic, too. I think that one has time travel. And yes, they constantly calls a certain Dinosaur T-Rex....
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I saw the Herrerasaurus in the flesh today in a toy shop, and I'm afraid it totally put me off buying it. I was interested based on the photographs, but having seen it with my own eyes, I found it to be a deeply unpleasant and egregiously ugly object. In the full three dimensions of it's grotesque form it demonstrates everything that's wrong with Schleich's design sensibilities. The flagrantly unnatural arms alone on it were nauseating, it's bodily proportions rendered it embarassing to lay eyes upon, let alone consider an exhange of money for it's acquisition. It's amazing what a difference the physical handling of a figure like this can make, but I honestly felt it was one of the worst looking schleichs I've ever seen. I don't mean any offence to anyone who likes the figure, as it's just my personal take on it, but I would definitely reccomend examining it in hand before buying one, just in case you feel the same way.   

sauroid

"Silvanusaurus: I saw the Herrerasaurus in the flesh today in a toy shop, and I'm afraid it totally put me off buying it. I was interested based on the photographs, but having seen it with my own eyes, I found it to be a deeply unpleasant and egregiously ugly object. In the full three dimensions of it's grotesque form it demonstrates everything that's wrong with Schleich's design sensibilities. The flagrantly unnatural arms alone on it were nauseating, it's bodily proportions rendered it embarassing to lay eyes upon, let alone consider an exhange of money for it's acquisition. It's amazing what a difference the physical handling of a figure like this can make, but I honestly felt it was one of the worst looking schleichs I've ever seen. I don't mean any offence to anyone who likes the figure, as it's just my personal take on it, but I would definitely reccomend examining it in hand before buying one, just in case you feel the same way."   

and adding insult to injury, the exorbitant asking price for their bad figures. thankfully, we arent forced to buy their products.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Or the high second market prices some ask for them. ( Which actually get mentioned in one of those fake Amazon reviews found on several figures, but in a positive light ). Sadly there is the old problem of those buggers being everywhere.

Found the Dinosaurs Magazine in a store two days ago and took a look inside. It's indeed nearly the same as the Dinosaurier magazine by the same producer, just with different topics ( no idea if recycled from Dinosaurier ), a different comic and well a bit more promotion of Schleich Dinosaurs, which is of course expected. The comic is about a group of humans ( two men, two boys, I think ) visiting an island and discovering Dinosaurs. They then run into the Spinosaurus, who chases two of them, but then stops when the others offer him a large number of fish. He is later given the name Sam in the epilogue when they observe him with cameras...There is also a portrait of Spinosaurus. Of course nearly every single picture of Spinosaurus in that magazine is outdated. The one expection is a photo of the skeleton, but the way it is angled and cropped, you could not tell that it is significantly different.
Next issue is the red Tyrannosaurus. Judging by the cut out background at the end of the issue, the third issue will be a blue Triceratops.
Oh no

CityRaptor

Just saw one of these on eBay, did a google search and found: Yet three other "new" Schleich Sets that were previously unknown and are not listed in the catalogue:
http://www.mytoys.de/schleich-schleich-saurier-42264-giganotosaurus-und-velociraptor-4er-pack-dinos-4405886.html
http://www.mytoys.de/schleich-schleich-saurier-42266-dinosaurierset-spinosaurus-4441856.html
http://www.mytoys.de/schleich-schleich-saurier-42267-grosses-dinosaurierset-mit-hoehle-4441855.html#
They are really using  the "Velociraptor",  T.rex skull and baby in a lot sets...oh and look, it's the limited edition red T.rex again.
Oh no

Dilopho

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 18, 2016, 04:20:21 PM
Just saw one of these on eBay, did a google search and found: Yet three other "new" Schleich Sets that were previously unknown and are not listed in the catalogue:
http://www.mytoys.de/schleich-schleich-saurier-42264-giganotosaurus-und-velociraptor-4er-pack-dinos-4405886.html
http://www.mytoys.de/schleich-schleich-saurier-42266-dinosaurierset-spinosaurus-4441856.html
http://www.mytoys.de/schleich-schleich-saurier-42267-grosses-dinosaurierset-mit-hoehle-4441855.html#
They are really using  the "Velociraptor",  T.rex skull and baby in a lot sets...oh and look, it's the limited edition red T.rex again.

Microraptor is really travelling a lot now, I guess!

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 18, 2016, 04:20:21 PM

Schleich-Shop.eu already has these sets for quite a while now, I think more than a year. Pretty sure they aren't new.

Takama

Well i did a google search for Barapasaurus and look what i found

Incriminating evidence that there research department consists of nothing but people who look at google images.

Dilopho

Quote from: Takama on September 05, 2016, 07:53:10 PM
Well i did a google search for Barapasaurus and look what i found

Incriminating evidence that there research department consists of nothing but people who look at google images.
Meh, the pose isn't really copying- if poses were copyrighted there would be nothing but WWD-type figures, in rigid positions. But the colour-copying on their figures is silly...

And some of the designs are blatantly copied too:

Sim

I think Schleich copied more than the colouration from that Therizinosaurus, the feathering on the cheeks and tail is also noticeably similar for example.

It's quite sad how Schleich managed to create such a monstrosity from that Therizinosaurus artwork.  At least when Geoworld copies artwork for their figures the result bears some resemblance to a real animal.  When Schleich copies artwork for their figures the result looks obnoxious and absurd and not like something that actually once lived on Earth.

tanystropheus

The Barapasaurus appears to have relatively accurate feet, as far as I can tell (but the video is quite blurry).  I think it is a good model, although mildly cartoon-like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUAQ1YlEros

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on September 05, 2016, 09:23:15 PM
I think Schleich copied more than the colouration from that Therizinosaurus, the feathering on the cheeks and tail is also noticeably similar for example.

It's quite sad how Schleich managed to create such a monstrosity from that Therizinosaurus artwork.  At least when Geoworld copies artwork for their figures the result bears some resemblance to a real animal.  When Schleich copies artwork for their figures the result looks obnoxious and absurd and not like something that actually once lived on Earth.

It had the potential to be so much more. However, it is a charming monstrosity, and I may pick one up when/if I resume collecting Schleichs again.

CityRaptor

Well, looks like it could fight Godzilla. Sadly the most "negative" review of that figure I read on Amazon was that the head is not facing forward, making it harder for the kid of reviewer to have it "fight" other figures. Yeah, just ignore those giant claws...

Out of all Styracosaurus specimens in that movie, they copy that one.

I realized something about the Barapasaurus: brown body and red, skeletal face? It's the Red Skull!

Guess that makes the Dilophosaurus Captain America...

I've also found out that Schleich has the license to make Marvel Figures, so this is kinda fitting.
Oh no

CityRaptor

Oh no

Flaffy

I'm actually quite fond of the ammonite! Such a shame that it is a box exclusive set. (darn you Schleich with your exclusive figures)
Can anyone identify the what species the flying fish like thing is?

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 08, 2016, 11:07:36 AM
I'm actually quite fond of the ammonite! Such a shame that it is a box exclusive set. (darn you Schleich with your exclusive figures)
Can anyone identify the what species the flying fish like thing is?

I think it's Potanichthys or Thoracopterus. It looks just like this reconstruction from the description of Potanichthys:

I want the advent calendar just for that fish (and for the frog, to a lesser extent). Also, I kind of want to watch that unboxing, but I definitely don't want to spend 40 minutes doing so.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

pylraster

Or the Barapasaurus could have been inspired by unmasked Deadpool.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: