News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Geoworld and plagiarism

Started by Patrx, October 08, 2014, 02:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurian

those who write about Papo, Papo never hid their figures by JP,on some sites  JP have  figure papo,  so there can not be compared geoword, it is absolutely different things  ;)
Soory,my English is poor

Patrx

This thread and the issues at hand were recently brought up by Matt Martyniuk at "DinoGoss". I wonder if enough attention like this might really start to make a difference?

SBell

Quote from: Saurian on November 05, 2014, 06:40:49 AM
those who write about Papo, Papo never hid their figures by JP,on some sites  JP have  figure papo,  so there can not be compared geoword, it is absolutely different things  ;)

Papo copies JP but it is not sanctioned--just because JPToys embraces Papo dinosaurs as 'close enough' doesn't make it okay. Of course, Papo seems to have moved on now, taking inspiration from other sources.

Takama

Quote from: SBell on November 10, 2014, 06:55:12 PM
Quote from: Saurian on November 05, 2014, 06:40:49 AM

Papo copies JP but it is not sanctioned--just because JPToys embraces Papo dinosaurs as 'close enough' doesn't make it okay. Of course, Papo seems to have moved on now, taking inspiration from other sources.

Wait until Jurassic World hits, and we will see if that's true

Gwangi

Quote from: Patrx on November 10, 2014, 06:36:53 PM
This thread and the issues at hand were recently brought up by Mark Witton at "DinoGoss". I wonder if enough attention like this might really start to make a difference?

I doubt it, it seems like things are starting to calm down with the whole plagiarism issue at least around here. Every one  (myself included) was fired up and now things are returning back to normal. I do have a review for the Troodon by Geoworld in the works and I plan on touching on the subject in it. I had the review written but lost the file when my hard drive died. Such is life.

tyrantqueen

I expect Papo to revert back to their JP copying ways once JP4 is released. Not just them, but many other companies too. I don't like it one bit, but it's expected since JP is a big cash cow.

Honestly I've never cared for anything JP related apart from the movies themselves. Once I've watched the movie that's it. I never bothered with the merchandise or anything else.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2014, 07:07:26 PM
I expect Papo to revert back to their JP copying ways once JP4 is released. Not just them, but many other companies too. I don't like it one bit, but it's expected since JP is a big cash cow.

Honestly I've never cared for anything JP related apart from the movies themselves. Once I've watched the movie that's it. I never bothered with the merchandise or anything else.

I didn't think of JPW. But yes, I'm guessing the JP inspirations will be fast and furious come that time. Unless the movie does as well as the WwD3D movie. Wouldn't it have been nice to see the imagery of those models inspire someone? Maybe some good could have come out of the manure pile that the movie turned into?

As for the topic losing steam--there is only so much time for internet rage before the next big thing comes up. Not really sure what we were actually expected to do--flood the inbox of a company that doesn't care anyway? I've said it before, I'll say it here--they only respond to market forces or lawyers. And in the latter case, it will be up to the affected persons to make that call.

Takama

Ok Thanks to me being in posseion of a Scanner I can now Simply Scan the cards onto the internet.

I will start this by updateing this thread with Scans of the cards instead of simply photographing them.   

CrypticPrism

I am so glad that JW didn't effect the Dino collecting in that year. I would vomit my stomach inside out if I saw a JW papo being released. The dimorphodon isn't as glaringly JW as some say.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

sauroid

wonder if Geoworld are still going to produce more figures in the future...

(wow it's so weird seeing old threads with TQ still in it. wonder if she still collects figures.)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: sauroid on April 18, 2017, 09:33:56 AM
[...]

(wow it's so weird seeing old threads with TQ still in it. wonder if she still collects figures.)

Being just a member of this forum for one and a half years, I dared a look into TQ's profile as I remember seeing quite a few posts by the member... last active in December 2016, also posting. So... this thread isn't that old, is it? Anyway, I also hope TQ's well and still active.

Takama

Well I posted all of the fact cards on Facebook(which for some reason was removed) to see if i can get the artsits who were affected to point out if there artwork was used on any of the cards to make my reviewing process easier for all of the figures.     And i apprently got some info that may(or may not) be new to this forum.    Thanks to Paleo Artist Vladimir Nikolov.

Here is a qhote from Vladimir Nikolov

QuoteIt has been known for a few years now that Geoworld plagiarized the work of various paleoartists for their fact cards. I am just one of those paleoartists - they used and ditigally altered an old drawing of Mapusaurus of mine. They were pretty quiet when I tried to contact them with demands for compensation and my work to be removed from their catalogue. I got short response after the 10th or 12th email - they said the problem comes from a Chinese company which was commissioned to produce the artwork and that Geoworld were completely unaware of the fact that the Chinese folks were plagiarizing whatever they get their hands on. Geoworld refused to further reply to my emails, let alone pay me for using my work. As far as I know, pretty much the same happened with other paleoartists whose work has been stolen by Geoworld. The only paleoartist who got some sort of monetary compensation is Alain Bénéteau, but he had to fight an year long fight with them.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Takama on April 26, 2017, 11:22:12 PM
Well I posted all of the fact cards on Facebook(which for some reason was removed) to see if i can get the artsits who were affected to point out if there artwork was used on any of the cards to make my reviewing process easier for all of the figures.     And i apprently got some info that may(or may not) be new to this forum.    Thanks to Paleo Artist Vladimir Nikolov.

Here is a qhote from Vladimir Nikolov

QuoteIt has been known for a few years now that Geoworld plagiarized the work of various paleoartists for their fact cards. I am just one of those paleoartists - they used and ditigally altered an old drawing of Mapusaurus of mine. They were pretty quiet when I tried to contact them with demands for compensation and my work to be removed from their catalogue. I got short response after the 10th or 12th email - they said the problem comes from a Chinese company which was commissioned to produce the artwork and that Geoworld were completely unaware of the fact that the Chinese folks were plagiarizing whatever they get their hands on. Geoworld refused to further reply to my emails, let alone pay me for using my work. As far as I know, pretty much the same happened with other paleoartists whose work has been stolen by Geoworld. The only paleoartist who got some sort of monetary compensation is Alain Bénéteau, but he had to fight an year long fight with them.

Wow, that's sucky. Bye Geoworld.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Takama, you've done a public service.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.