News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T

Reconstructing soft anatomy

Started by Trisdino, August 14, 2014, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

Diplospines? I think some segment of tail shows them.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 19, 2014, 02:07:26 AM
Quote from: Manatee on August 17, 2014, 01:12:39 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 16, 2014, 12:19:47 AM
tris is pretty pissed ATM, probably best I don't give his regards

I just want to put this on the table, I like retrosaurs, I even prefer them in some context, but I accept that they are inaccurate and live with it
(which might be why it bothers me so much when companies (documentaries in particular) won't do the same and admit it when their dinosaurs are a work of fiction)

Agreed. It especially bothered me when it was announced the "raptors" in Jurassic World would purposely be made into the scaly retrosaurs from the original three as opposed to the rather fluffy animal it is now known to be today.

And by the way, EmperorDinobot, if you are referring to my "Banning Game" post banning you, the shameless self-promotion thing was a joke about your "Dinoriffic Sales" signature. (Plus, I just got finished drawing a fluffy, fat Tyrannosaurus with a very unique-looking head. How I love recreating dinosaurs in strange ways!)

Lol haha, yeah I am referring to you  ;) no need to explain yourself, kind of a forum in-joke.

Man I wanna put some crazy wild soft tissues on Diplodocus so bad...

I remember a few years ago there was a mention about Diplodocus and its kin having spikes along its back not too dissimilar from an iguana's spiky crest. Anyone got refs. for that?
Yes, but be careful, Scott Hartman said that the spines are not what most people think (I'm not sure what he meant). Also, he said that they are not necessarily a straight line of spines down the back.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Scott hasn't restored any of his sauropods with spines that I know of..so that might explain that at the least.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 19, 2014, 06:05:23 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 19, 2014, 02:07:26 AM
Quote from: Manatee on August 17, 2014, 01:12:39 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 16, 2014, 12:19:47 AM
tris is pretty pissed ATM, probably best I don't give his regards

I just want to put this on the table, I like retrosaurs, I even prefer them in some context, but I accept that they are inaccurate and live with it
(which might be why it bothers me so much when companies (documentaries in particular) won't do the same and admit it when their dinosaurs are a work of fiction)

Agreed. It especially bothered me when it was announced the "raptors" in Jurassic World would purposely be made into the scaly retrosaurs from the original three as opposed to the rather fluffy animal it is now known to be today.

And by the way, EmperorDinobot, if you are referring to my "Banning Game" post banning you, the shameless self-promotion thing was a joke about your "Dinoriffic Sales" signature. (Plus, I just got finished drawing a fluffy, fat Tyrannosaurus with a very unique-looking head. How I love recreating dinosaurs in strange ways!)

Lol haha, yeah I am referring to you  ;) no need to explain yourself, kind of a forum in-joke.

Man I wanna put some crazy wild soft tissues on Diplodocus so bad...

I remember a few years ago there was a mention about Diplodocus and its kin having spikes along its back not too dissimilar from an iguana's spiky crest. Anyone got refs. for that?
Yes, but be careful, Scott Hartman said that the spines are not what most people think (I'm not sure what he meant). Also, he said that they are not necessarily a straight line of spines down the back.

IIRC the original specimen showed the spines covered the flanks, not a single row like an iguana but many rows down the side. The iguana thing was everybody misinterpreting a drawing of it. Too bad this specimen has still never been properly described...

Interesting that it seems like many dinosaurs had spiny or scute like things on the back, even feathered ones. In a way, most dinosaurs would have looked just as "armored" as ankylosaurs. Ankylosaurs just happened to have bone-core armor so we've known about it much longer. The osteoderms in titanosaurs probably evolved by normal sauropod armor getting heavier duty and needing support. Elephent skinned they were not!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

I think CollectA's Deluxe Parasaurolophus might be the most anti-shrink wrapping dinosaur model  ;D

Seijun

Which feathered dinosaurs had spines/scutes?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Balaur

Quote from: Seijun on September 12, 2014, 04:40:03 AM
Hmmm... Well, you have Kulindadromeus.

Manatee

Quote from: Balaur on September 12, 2014, 06:26:23 AM
Quote from: Seijun on September 12, 2014, 04:40:03 AM
Hmmm... Well, you have Kulindadromeus.
If we are getting into dinosaurs with feathers and non-feather impressions, then we also have Juravenator and possibly Pelecanimimus.

Ultimatedinoking

I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Do you have to say that in every thread?

Ultimatedinoking

-UDK

Yutyrannus

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 29, 2014, 01:20:18 AM
Alright. Anyway, welcome back!

Thanks.

And I've learned to moderate my opinion, I promise from this post onward, no more getting into feather debates. I will keep my opinions to myself.  :)
-UDK

HD-man

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 19, 2014, 02:07:26 AMI remember a few years ago there was a mention about Diplodocus and its kin having spikes along its back not too dissimilar from an iguana's spiky crest. Anyone got refs. for that?

"Discovery of dermal spines reveals a new look for sauropod": http://plesiosauria.com/pdf/Czerkas_sauropodspines.pdf

Quote from: Seijun on September 12, 2014, 04:40:03 AMWhich feathered dinosaurs had spines/scutes?

You're thinking of Kulindadromeus (although it probably had "bristle-like scales" rather than proto-feather/true feather homologues: http://reptilis.net/2014/07/31/new-siberian-ornithischian-and-the-over-feathering-of-dinosaurs-again/ ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Yutyrannus

Quote from: HD-man on September 29, 2014, 04:27:53 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 19, 2014, 02:07:26 AMI remember a few years ago there was a mention about Diplodocus and its kin having spikes along its back not too dissimilar from an iguana's spiky crest. Anyone got refs. for that?

"Discovery of dermal spines reveals a new look for sauropod": http://plesiosauria.com/pdf/Czerkas_sauropodspines.pdf
Wasn't there something a while ago that said that Diplodocus's spines weren't just in one row along the top of the neck, back, and tail?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 02, 2015, 10:59:37 PM
Quote from: HD-man on September 29, 2014, 04:27:53 AM

Wasn't there something a while ago that said that Diplodocus's spines weren't just in one row along the top of the neck, back, and tail?

Scott Hartman mentioned this, but nothing at all has been published about the spines in over 20 years. I'm not sure if anybody I. Currently studying them.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.