News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

shahinos' collection

Started by shahinos, April 12, 2023, 05:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shahinos

I was always interested in dinosaurs and had a lot of DinoRiders as a kid. No idea what happened to them though. Growing up I had no plans or thoughts of collecting dinosaur models. But as my son turned first two years and then three, he became more and more interested in dinosaurs. I found Everything Dinosaur and became impressed with all the brands and models available. So I bought a box with dinosaurs from different eras and geographical locations, as I realized that basically all the dinosaurs I used to know were from North America and I wanted to use them to teach my son a little bit about evolution, geography, plate tectonics and so on.

I was very happy with the lot and me and my son have had lots of good time with the dinos. Back then I had no idea which company was good or not, nor did I pay much attention to scale. So I'm gonna part ways with a lot of these soon.

Fast forward two years and we're in the fall of 2022. I find this very website and forum and am completely blown away. WHAT! So many models? WHAT, so many reviews! WHAT! So much to pay attention to, accuracy, scale, etc! It took me a week to go through all the bloody reviews and write down in excel which models I desired. I realized that what I wanted were models that didn't look like toys but actual animals.

Next step, where to acquire them. I already knew about ED and ordered some sauropods. I found a couple of Swedish websites, which helped with reducing shipping costs. One site inexplicably slashed their Eofauna figures to 50%, which was very welcome. I realized that these new models were much more expensive than the ones I bought for my son and decided to not buy more for at least a couple of months.

HA! Good luck with that, as I've acquired probably ten more models since then, if not more. And I'm eagerly awaiting Haolonggood's updates, as well as Ancestors and Wild Past.

My collection is currently housed like this. My son arranged them and on the lowest level we kinda ran out of space...

Stegotyranno420

I love the sauropods you got there.

shahinos

My long-term plan now is to collect good models, to scale, from various formations around the globe. And when there are not enough dinosaurs from a certain formation, using geographical proximity might work. Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Atlasaurus may end up together, for example.

Thanks to Ouranosaurus, the Elrhaz formation is off to a great start. I just might have to get me a Sarcosuchus as well.

I think the PNSO and CollectA Olorotitans go well together, especially colorwise. A nice looking parent-child.

shahinos

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 12, 2023, 05:54:01 PMI love the sauropods you got there.

Yeah, very happy with them! I would like to repaint the Safari ones, but don't dare do it myself (yet! I've bought paint and am experimenting on Chinasaurs). I will probably get Ruyangosaurus sometime during 2023. Would like to see/get the smaller sauropods (Magyarsaurus, Europasaurus, Rapetosaurus) in the future.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: shahinos on April 12, 2023, 06:00:56 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 12, 2023, 05:54:01 PMI love the sauropods you got there.

Yeah, very happy with them! I would like to repaint the Safari ones, but don't dare do it myself (yet! I've bought paint and am experimenting on Chinasaurs). I will probably get Ruyangosaurus sometime during 2023. Would like to see/get the smaller sauropods (Magyarsaurus, Europasaurus, Rapetosaurus) in the future.
With sauropods, for me it's either go big or go extinct haha. But i could understand how someone can appreciate the little fellers. I too would like to paint my safari Brachiosaurus, but I am not as good at repainting as I was in 6th grade. Another thing, that Ruyangosaurus is massive. Hopefully we see a revival in large sauropods.

shahinos

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 12, 2023, 06:19:38 PM

With sauropods, for me it's either go big or go extinct haha. But i could understand how someone can appreciate the little fellers. I too would like to paint my safari Brachiosaurus, but I am not as good at repainting as I was in 6th grade. Another thing, that Ruyangosaurus is massive. Hopefully we see a revival in large sauropods.

I definitely want larger ones too, similar in size to the Eofauna Diplo!

Halichoeres

That's a great collection! Glad to hear you've found the blog and forum useful in curating it--that's similar to my own experience. I hope you and your son are getting lots of enjoyment out of them!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Paleo Flo

A great collection indeed! Nice categories.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Faelrin

Fantastic collection you got there. Arranging by formations is something I want to do once my collection is back with me and not in storage. That Elrhaz formation group shot looks wonderous together for example. Need to get around to getting all of those at some point. Also had no idea the CollectA Olorotitan works so well as a juvenile or baby for the PNSO one. Reminds me of the recent Haolonggood red and blue Ouranosaurus would probably display nicely with the PNSO Little Dinosaurs mini one.

Edit: It's great you have a shared interest/hobby with your son as well. Me and my dad sort of something similar going on when it comes to dinosaurs, but I'm way more into the collecting side of things.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

shahinos

Quote from: Faelrin on April 13, 2023, 04:23:56 PMFantastic collection you got there. Arranging by formations is something I want to do once my collection is back with me and not in storage. That Elrhaz formation group shot looks wonderous together for example. Need to get around to getting all of those at some point. Also had no idea the CollectA Olorotitan works so well as a juvenile or baby for the PNSO one. Reminds me of the recent Haolonggood red and blue Ouranosaurus would probably display nicely with the PNSO Little Dinosaurs mini one.

Edit: It's great you have a shared interest/hobby with your son as well. Me and my dad sort of something similar going on when it comes to dinosaurs, but I'm way more into the collecting side of things.

Thanks! I have to look up the PNSO Ouranosaurus, can't remember what it looks like.

Yeah, it's really nice. Good night stories are half the time reading about which dinosaurs lived where and when...

shahinos

Paleo Flo and Halichoeres, thanks for the kind words!

ceratopsian

I would have enjoyed it if my parents had told me that sort of good night story!  Looking forward to seeing how your collection develops.

Libraraptor

Nice collection arranged in a nice cabinet ^-^

SidB

Maybe you can come across Bullyland's rare Magyarsaurus and Europasaurus on eBay or some other site at some point

Ikessauro

Maybe you can come across Bullyland's rare Magyarsaurus and Europasaurus on eBay or some other site at some point
[/quote]

What Magyarosaurus?

Pliosaurking

Fantastic collection and a very nice looking display! Also displaying by formation is a great way to display your collection!

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 11, 2023, 09:22:43 AMMaybe you can come across Bullyland's rare Magyarsaurus and Europasaurus on eBay or some other site at some point

What Magyarosaurus?
[/quote]You're right! I was thinking of their very rare Spinophorosaurus. On the other hand, since a Bullyland Magyarasaurus doesn't actually exist, that's got to make it super rare!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.