You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Duna's collection (Ikea cabinet and more) "updated feb"

Started by Duna, October 15, 2019, 09:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Hi there,

I wish I could have more room for other models, so nowadays I try to make a selection of newer purchases. I have three main displays.

DISPLAY GLASS CABINET

This is my first cabinet, a brown-black Ikea DETOLF with supplementary shelves, the "official collection". Lit with warm lighting fixtures (from Ikea), for about 9 hours a day with a time controller so I can enjoy them better. Only one figure per species or significative group, specially the ones I knew from my childhood. Whenever I find a better/more accurate representation, I take the other figure out and place the new. The order is none specially, small figures on the top, sauropods on the bottom, non-dinosaurs in one shelf and mammals on top of the cabinet.
The extra glass shelves measure 30x39 cm and are put in place using largest plastic cable ties I could find. You mark on the vertical metal bar were you want, then make a loop with the tie but not close, put a little hot glue with a hot glue gun to the vertical metal bar and closed the tie quickly with the zip looking inwards, then cut the extra plastic. Perfect, no slipping. And you can take it out and even move up or down if you want.

This cabinet is the one that displays the BEST figures of each species. Mostly the most accurate, sometimes the best looking and normally, both. This cabinet is in constant change as new figures enter the market, but I have a selection of which to get following these "rules".

My "rules" for figures in the display cabinet:

- I only get common or most known species of dinosaurs and non dinosaurs, specially the ones I've known since I was a child. Rare or new species may exceptionally have a place but only if they awake enough interest in me: i.e: Bajadasaurus, Atlasaurus, Concavenator, Miragaia, Yutyrannus.
- I only get one figure of each species.
- I only get one representative figure of non-dinosaurs groups. For example: only itchyosaurus and no eurrhinosaurus, ophtalmosaurus or himalayasaurus ...
- I try to get the most updated and accurate figures in the market.
- I don't collect figures with fixed bases, even if they are the most accurate model. Sorry, Collecta. ;)
- I don't buy articulated models but I don't mind movable jaws.
- I don't buy expensive figures. My limit is 35€ but usually under 25€ or less. I have exceeded that for some very special ones sometimes.
- I don't get BIG figures or/and in large scales (even if they are the most accurate model). For example I won't be getting Collecta protoceratops Deluxe 2019, it's too big and out of scale from the rest of my collection. Don't mind tall or long figures like small sauropods with long tails (i.e Collecta brontosaurus, PNSO Amargasaurus ...)

So this is the list of the figures I have on display (green) or I want to have in the future (orange). The not-in-bold ones are my "wish list" but the models now in the market don't convince me. So I'll will wait.

Spoiler

LIST UPDATED: SEPTEMBER 2021
THEROPODS:
Coelophysis: Safari 2017
Velociraptor: Safari 2017 (I'll keep the Papos because I like to explain the evolution in "versions" of a well known species).
Deinonychus: Safari 2020
Microraptor: Collecta 2019
Acrocanthosaurus: Papo 2018
Allosaurus: Safari 2019
Tyrannosaurus: Safari 2017 (I'll keep the Papo standing rex which I think has a lot of detail and makes a good comparison with it).
Carnotaurus: Safari 2019
Ceratosaurus:  Papo 2017
Giganotosaurus: Eofauna 2019
Therizinosaurus: Papo 2018
Deinocheirus: Safari 2017
Spinosaurus: Papo 2020 (I'll keep the Papo first version which I think has a lot of detail and makes a good comparison with it).
Dilophosaurus: Safari 2020
Baryonyx: Safari 2021
Tarbosaurus: PNSO 2021
Yutyrannus: PNSO 2021
Carcharodontosaurus: GR Toys 2021
Compsognatus
Concavenator
Criolophosaurus
Ornitholestes
Oviraptor
Gallimimus

ORNITHICHIA:
Dracorex: Schleich 2019
Pachycephalosaurus: Safari 2020
Edmontosaurus: Safari 2020
Iguanodon: Collecta Deluxe 2018
Plateosaurus: (Collecta 2011) (waiting for an updated version)
Psittacosaurus: Collecta 2016 (Safari 2017 is also ok but the Collecta version is tinier, better for me).
Borealopelta: Collecta 2019 (perfect and tiny).
Sauropelta: PNSO 2020
Stegosaurus: Safari 2019 (I'll also keep the Papo because it's from the first painting).
Kentrosaurus: Schleich 2017
Tuojiangosaurus: PNSO 2020
Miragaia: PNSO 2020
Ankylosaurus: PNSO 2019
Pachyrhinosaurus: Self-printed and painted 3D model.
Pentaceratops: Papo 2019
Styracosaurus: Safari 2019
Triceratops: Safari 2018
Lambeosaurus: PNSO 2020
Corythosaurus: PNSO 2020
Parasaurolophus: PNSO 2021
Protoceratops
Torosaurus
Hypsilophodon
Heterodontosaurus
Camptosaurus
Maiasaura
Muttaburrasaurus
Ouranosaurus
Tenontosaurus
Tsintaosaurus
Polacanthus
Scelidosaurus

SAUROPODS
Amargasaurus: PNSO Lucio 2019
Atlasaurus: Eofauna 2019
Brontosaurus: Collecta 2018
Brachiosaurus: (Papo 2012) (but I think the best is Safari 2010)
Camarasaurus: Safari 2019
Diplodocus: (Collecta 2013) (I think the best are Carnegie or Safari 2017 but they are way too large for me).
Bajadasaurus: Collecta 2020
Nigersaurus: Safari 2015
Argentinosaurus: Collecta 2012
Mamenchisaurus: Collecta 2021

NON DINOSAURS:
Postosuchus: Safari 2016
Sarcosuchus: Safari 2020
Dimetrodon: (Papo 2013) (I'll stick to this because I like the colors but I think the best is Safari 2018)
Edaphosaurus: Collecta 2019
Elasmosaurus: Safari 2016
Icthyosaurus: Safari 2020
Liopleurodon: Collecta 2016
Mosasaurus: Collecta 2014
Megalodon: PNSO Patton (large) 2019
Pteranodon: Safari 2019
Archaeopteryx: (Papo 2014) and Safari 2015  (but I think the best is Favorite 2017 but I won't buy it because it needs the base to display)
Ramphorhynchus: Safari 2010
Quetzalcoatlus: (Collecta 2014)

Deinotherium: Eofauna 2019
Daeodon: Collecta 2015
Elasmotherium: Collecta 2019
Glyptodon: Wild Republic 2006
Placerias: Nayab? 200?
Basilosaurus: Recur 2019
Megaloceros: Papo 2020
Daeodon: Collecta 2015
Przewalski horse: Collecta 2013
Mammuthus primigenius from Eofauna  :)
Paraceratherium
Arsinoitherium
Ambulocetus
Pakicetus
[close]

I'll add more pictures other day, but I wanted specially to take a pic of the sauropods, because I've just added the dinosaur I was waiting for a long time, a mamenchisaurus. The Collecta mamenchisaurus. What a wonderful piece.

The top of the cabinet is also lit with a lamp that is not on sight in the photo. A selection of mammals and the replica of the Archaeopteryx fossil. Most of my figures are protected from the dust but these are not.

In the same room, outside of the cabinet I have two shelves with the printed 3D skeletons that I built and painted myself two years ago. The skeletons are JP style so Papo and Nanmu figures go very well with them. In my cabinet I try only to put the most updated versions of the figures, but I really liked Papo stegosaurus and triceratops, they are very well sculpted. So I found a perfect place for them.
I have also a rex skull, a real size Velociraptor skull and pteranodon and smilodon skulls, too.

And now the others on display in my bedroom. It's another white Ikea DETOLF with 4 cool light fixtures (from Amazon) and extra shelves. On the left there is a white Ikea BESTA 60x40x60 with a clear glass door. These BESTA (there are a lot of sizes) are really nice because you can add how many glass shelves as you want. It is lit with 4 adhesive led stripes, two on the top, and two on the half section. The figures look better in the DETOLF, because you can have a look at them from 2 sides, but BESTA are ok too.
In the cabinet there is the complete Starlux collection of prehistoric animals (1st to 5th shelves) I have just finished collecting, about a hundred figures along with some variations. Below them there is the full Inpro set, the WWD Toyway figures, below them the Quick WWD miniatures, some Ovomaltines/Yoplait and the full set of Linde. The shelf below it is dedicated to AAA, some of the medium sized with their hatchlings and the rubber miniatures. On the bottom there are some figures that have no place in the other cabinet.

In the BESTA there are the figures that are just a bit less pleasant to the eye than the others in the glass cabinet. For example, the smaller ones and the ones that are made of monochrome bright coloured plastic. I could have put all of them in boxes, but I really like to see them everyday and handle when I want.
There are two sets of Marx dinosaurs and some more spares, including 3 metallic silver Large Mold, below there are a set of Sinclair with the 1964 World Fair leaflet, a set of Ajax, Nabisco, El Cigarral and some other plastic vintage miniatures. Below them there are some Spanish collections (Nilo, Miniland mini and medium), Yolanda Jurassic Park full set of keyrings and figures and a collection of JPIII porcelain feves. On the bottom at the back the full set of 24 Panini mini dinosaurs, the 1989 Yolanda large rubber dinosaurs and at the front the full collection of 13 Miniland for Cereales Pascual and the four plastic reissues of Jecsan.

The BESTA is placed on a sinfonier that I had previously and had nothing on top of it but dust, so win-win with the addition. On top of the BESTA there is a wooden and metacrilate cabinet I made myself. It contains all the 1992 UKRD series (poseable and normal), the 1993 series (in both colors) and some Safari I just liked, the Danone Jurassic Park complete collection and the Colorata Prehistoric Creatures in its box.
Another day I'll put more pictures of them. This top part is not lit.
On top of the Ikea DETOLF there are the three versions of the iconic Papo standing tyrannosaurus (green, brown and rainbow) with the two babies and behind, the Recur basilosaurus.

All color versions of the iconic Papo standing tyrannosaurus: green, brown, rainbow-purple and the green and brown babies.

VINTAGE COLLECTIONS FROM 1955 TO 1993

For further and complete explanation about these and most Spanish vintage collections, please visit this thread: Spanish vintage collections from 50s to 90s

Miniland LU cookies miniatures

Miniland other color miniatures

Miniland small figures (5 cm) complete collection

NILO miniatures (3-4 cm)

El Cigarral miniatures complete collection

"Dunkin" premium miniature dinosaur complete collection Boomer chewing gum)

DANONE official Jurassic Park 1993 complete collection. For more information about the brand and figures, go to DANONE thread

UKRD collections. For complete information about the brand history and figures, go to UKRD dinosaurs thread

UKRD 1993 medium size complete collection

UKRD 1993 small size complete collection original colors

UKRD 1993 small size complete collection new colors

Halichoeres

That's a clever solution and a striking display! Nicely done.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

It is a showcase of authentic luxury and elegant I congratulate you Duna is very beautiful, on the other hand you have the best of each brand of toys. I congratulate you.

acro-man

You will find it insufficient very soon I can assure you that  >:D
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

ITdactyl

Duna... new to the forum and already killing me with envy.  That elegant glass display coupled with those terrariums/aquariums(?)... wow.

It does seem that some of your critters have begun fighting for display space though. ;D

DinoToyCollector

I like that display very much. That's a way I'd like to do that for myself. It looks very classy, it also has something of a museum look. Will be copied  ;D

ceratopsian

Andanna

A great display. It looks very classy.

Duna

Thank you all :)
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 15, 2019, 10:40:03 PM
It is a showcase of authentic luxury and elegant I congratulate you Duna is very beautiful, on the other hand you have the best of each brand of toys. I congratulate you.
Thank you, you are a great observer ... ;) I started with some classic Papos more than ten years ago but for many years I did not buy any more because I realised they weren't very accurate models. So when I came across this forum (last year) I was as happy as a clam because I discovered the other companies I didn't even know of, and I read those wonderful reviews. So from that day on, I only try to get what I think it's the best model (for my little room), that's why this year I have purchased PNSO amargasaurus and ankylo, some Collectas, Eofauna's giga and most of the newer Safaris which I really like a lot. Some decisions cost me a lot of time and reading to make. I would like to get some newer models for Triceratops, stegosaurus and iguanodon, but they may wait.

Quote from: ITdactyl on October 16, 2019, 03:49:08 AM
Duna... new to the forum and already killing me with envy.  That elegant glass display coupled with those terrariums/aquariums(?)... wow.

It does seem that some of your critters have begun fighting for display space though. ;D
Thanks, you are truly right  ;D They may do more than they actually do (nothing and two of them are nocturnal) so I won't fill their terrariums with dinos ...

Or they may share the space as well, they seem not to mind a lot ...  :)) :))

tanystropheus

Quote from: Duna on October 15, 2019, 09:47:18 PM
Hi there,

I wish I could have more room for other models, so nowadays I try to make a selection of newer purchases. (Doug you should make uglier models, I can't buy them all!  :D)
I have an Ikea classic glass cabinet with two spot lights (one wasn't enough) one for the top and the other for the second half.

Yesterday I bought 3 three glass shelves (30x39 cm) so I could do three more second "floors". The problem was how to put that glasses securely and easily. I finally used the largest cable ties I could find and double face adhesive tape so they couldn't slip downwards. The glass rests firmly on the cable tie.
Now I have doubled my available space, so I'm very happy with it.

I leave the idea and pics so it can be helpful:

The other reptiles of my collection in the right are not toys.  :))

How much is this beauty?

CityRaptor

Are those Detolfs? A relative of mine has a collection of limited edition beer glasses in two of those. ( It's only 12 glasses or so, but they are pretty big and rare )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

PhilSauria

They look like Detolfs to me. I considered those while looking to upgrade before I settled on the new shelves that I now have.

I love the classy look of these but in my case I had too much stuff and like to have as much of it as I can out on display but with still a bit of daylight between the figures (not a fan of the mosh-pit look), which I would not have been able to achieve with the Detolfs.

Great looking cabinets though and with the lighting as well it all adds a touch of class to the items on display.

ITdactyl

What is it with the optics of a LED glass display cabinet that makes plastic toys look far more valuable than they actually are? ;D

They also seem to have the magical effect of making you want to buy more stuff.

ZoPteryx

What an awesome display, very professional looking!

Duna

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 16, 2019, 09:09:52 PM
How much is this beauty?
55 euros the original cabinet + 2 Ikea LEDBERG led spot light 7€ each + 20€ more the 3 glass shelves I have added (only one glass store in my city and very expensive :()+ 2€ the cable ties.

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 16, 2019, 10:44:56 PM
Are those Detolfs? A relative of mine has a collection of limited edition beer glasses in two of those. ( It's only 12 glasses or so, but they are pretty big and rare )
Quote from: PhilSauria on October 17, 2019, 01:41:25 AM
They look like Detolfs to me.
Yes, they are. Ikea DETOLF, color black-brown. avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria, you are right, the space is quite limited with the normal 3 shelves and bottom part (4), but if you add the update with other 3 o 4 more shelves, you can have the astonishing area of near 1 m2, which is a lot! That will save you a lot of space and keeps the models dust free.

Quote from: ITdactyl on October 17, 2019, 03:58:28 AM
What is it with the optics of a LED glass display cabinet that makes plastic toys look far more valuable than they actually are? ;D

They also seem to have the magical effect of making you want to buy more stuff.
Totally agree. Even the least accurate models with their bright plastic colors look very nice in here. :D And as you have pointed, I am in the need to fill in those empty shelves now ... :D

Libraraptor

Looks very classy. A good idea using additional shelves, fixing them with cabld ties.

Mellow Stego

Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Duna

UPDATED: 11/15/19

The double face adhesive tape did not make a good grip for the cable tie, the heaviest shelves started to slip downwards slowly. So I glued the cable tie with cianoacrilate to the vertical metal bar and that did it. No more slipping.

I purchased some more figures (some old, some new) which I had in my list.  :)

- PNSO large Megalodon 2019 (not in the pic, is for displaying with my fossils). Wonderful, so large for my collection. I saw it at a good price (34,55€) and didn't think twice.
- Eofauna deinotherium 2019: a MASTERPIECE, absolutely gorgeus. I don't collect mammals but I indeed begged Eofauna for this species and my wishes have come true - I had to buy it yes or yes - The only mammals I would also buy in the future are: woolly mammooth and uintatherium from Eofauna. I will wait. ;)
- Safari pteranodon 2019: I really don't know how is it that I waited until now to get such a wonderful figure! A must.
- Safari 2017 coelophysis: Perfect for me because of its small size. Also very accurate.
- Safari 2016 postosuchus: Nice, I wanted a postosuchus. Sorry, no room for prestosuchus.
- Safari 2016 elasmosaurus: May not be the best, but it's perfect for me: size, color, quite accurate.
- Safari 2010 Ramphorhynchus: Same as the elasmosaurus, it surprised me with its size, it's quite big!

I'll get some more before the end of the year, little by little.

I have no room to display them for periods, families or groups. I just fix them in the best place for displaying and keep changing them as more models come. Small figures at the top shelf, and one shelf is reserved for non dinosaurs (plesiosaurs, icthyosaurs, pterosaurs ...).

Duna

I would like to explain more about my collection and why is it that I collect some figures and not others. ;) I have very little room (by now only the Ikea cabinet) so I try to get only one figure per species. Here is my list of what I have (or what I would like to have) and which are for me the best figures in the market.

MY "RULES" FOR NEW FIGURES IN MY COLLECTION

List updated in the first post: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8223.msg240978#msg240978

Please feel free to suggest new or what you think are better models, I'm open to all suggestions ;) specially if they meet my "rules".

I'll keep the post updated with new adquisitions.

Shonisaurus

Safari nigersaurus is a pretty good figure. I recommend it. I do not know if it is within your expectations or you expect a much better figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: