News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, February 06, 2022, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I'm not against re-released figures in general, and for this specifically? Honestly I'd prefer it. I hate blind box products and releasing new stuff only in a very expensive one? With wildly mixed themes? And *no* information of whats included? That is gross.

But re-releasing a selection of well received figures in a celebratory calendar? That feels a lot better to me.

Either way it's bad they aren't specifying, but if they were, I'd be all for this being re-releases or repaints.

brettnj

I get your take.

It's a tough one to evaluate though since the whole point of Advent calendars is not knowing.

The company found an ingenious way to justify the blind box issue. But it should at least specify if figures are new or not.

stargatedalek

If they didn't say which figures, but said it'd be re-releases/re-paints, I think that would still be a surprise enough for most people who'd be buying something like this anyway.

Halichoeres

On the one hand, Kaiyodo is a very different sort of company from Breyer, Schleich or CollectA (I had actually forgotten CollectA had made an advent calendar, it was that unmemorable). On the other hand, if they're going to have 28 different miniatures, the asking price actually seems pretty modest if they were all new sculpts.

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 03, 2022, 10:48:20 AMI will surely not spend 15.000 Yen on this big blindbag for getting probably another new Tyrannosaurus miniature.
For me personally, I can hardly think of a more unwelcome scenario than the only dinosaur in the calendar being yet another Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus!

Anyway, I don't really have any idea what this will look like. My disposition inclines me to always expect the worst, and I am only sometimes correct.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Given that Kaiyodo has a policy of "anything that exists in this world can be made into a model", I expect a wide range of different items. Dinosaurs, Kaiju, Robots and Anime Girls for example.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

brettnj

BAD NEWS...

Here's a paste from the e-mail I sent to my customer list this morning...

Hey.

Several days ago I asked my new figure source what he knew about the calendar.

He responded that it is limited to 200 sets. Since that didn't sound likely to me (It seems odd for new figures and even more odd if recycled ones.), I didn't see that noted in the translation of the Kaiyodo website page, and Wes hadn't mentioned it, I asked him again and also asked Wes if he sees this noted anywhere.

I've not heard back from my NFS yet but Wes just informed me that, after only three days, the calendar is no longer available on the Kaiyodo website.

My NFS mentioned that one other store is supposed to be selling it, and I asked Wes to research this and update ASAP.

Then during my morning searches/research, I see it is all true. It was not detailed when first announced.

The Kaiyodo Facebook page now notes: In addition to the general sale items, there are rare hidden stocks, worth 15,000 yen.

I have no idea what that means.

The following people requested the calendar unconditionally:

I still have no idea if these are even 24 new figures and I'm not trying to encourage anyone to make any decision. Prior to this news I was doubting I'd even buy it until we knew its contents. But of course not that doesn't seem a likely option.

So, if Wes comes back and tells me he can get them now, that might be anyone's only opportunity, if it even holds. I'll already telling him to get 5 sets now if even possible--the four above and one for me.

The one thing that does seem clear, and again I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision, is that if the figures are desirable, they will in all likelihood command very to extremely high prices on YAJ, etc.

All this to say, if you want the set right now, if even available, please let me know ASAP.

I'll update accordingly.

Halichoeres

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 04, 2022, 08:49:59 AMGiven that Kaiyodo has a policy of "anything that exists in this world can be made into a model", I expect a wide range of different items. Dinosaurs, Kaiju, Robots and Anime Girls for example.

Yeah, I don't think anybody was expecting an all-dinosaur advent calendar or anything.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Flaffy

avatar_brettnj @brettnj How much would one set cost + fees?

CityRaptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 04, 2022, 05:30:17 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 04, 2022, 08:49:59 AMGiven that Kaiyodo has a policy of "anything that exists in this world can be made into a model", I expect a wide range of different items. Dinosaurs, Kaiju, Robots and Anime Girls for example.

Yeah, I don't think anybody was expecting an all-dinosaur advent calendar or anything.

Some people are posting like they think it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

brettnj

I typed a detailed version of this but somehow it didn't get posted.

It is extremely unlikely we'll be able to pre-order (Retail price was 7777 yen including tax and there was mention of a 15000 yen version as well but I have no details.) as the Kaiyodo website sold out within days and then again after a restock within hours, and the brick and mortar selling them is nowhere near my source and will not take credit card orders via phone.

We'll keep watching and though I don't expect anything prior to the November 30 release, I'll update with any news.

Brett

Halichoeres

That's very annoying regardless of the contents.

brettnj

Trust I agree but we had no idea it would sell out so quickly.

Hopefully it will work out that there will be some great figures and we will be able to get them on an individual basis for those interested.

And at least we know what to expect regarding next year's version.

Brett

Loon

Does anyone have a good idea of what Ornithomimus species the Kaiyodo figure represents?

Halichoeres

I checked the site and Kaiyodo does not seem to have specified. I don't think you would be able to tell based on any feature externally visible at this scale.

Sim

Quote from: Loon on November 22, 2022, 03:04:57 AMDoes anyone have a good idea of what Ornithomimus species the Kaiyodo figure represents?
Since the other species in the set are all from Hell Creek I think the Ornithomimus is intended to be a Hell Creek species too.  The only ornithomimid known from good remains from that ecosystem is the sedens species, which is usually classified in the genus Ornithomimus or Struthiomimus, but it may belong to another genus too.  So I think the Kaiyodo version represents Struthiomimus/Ornithomimus sedens.

brettnj

Hey.

The Advent calendar releases in Japan on 11/30.

If anyone finds photos of the 24 figures, please post the relevant ones here.

Thanks.
Brett

Halichoeres

My money is on 24 different elves, reindeer, etc., all using a urinal.

Flaffy

Still no info on the contents of the Kaiyodo advent calender? ???

brettnj

Not sure if you are on my mailing list but no.

But, the calendar is appearing on both Yahoo Auctions Japan and Mercari, and at pretty low prices, and there have been listings for three individual figures on Mercari over the past few days, none depicting animals/dinos.

I check multiple times per day and if any are listed or otherwise revealed I'll be including links or images in my group mail.

One of my buyers bought one but that won't give us any information until he requests we ship it and even then, we're not sure if the contents of each one is the same, as much as we might assume it.

Brett

Fembrogon

Either I had forgotten or never realized in the first place, but BigBadToyStore actually has the North American Dinosaur Hunters set in stock as randomized boxes and bags.
And they're on sale 40% off right now.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/207296?o=2
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/220643?o=2

I'm thinking of grabbing a couple of the boxes myself.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: