News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

POLL: Top ten figures of 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 04, 2023, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What were your favorite releases of 2022? Vote for up to ten.

Ancestors Edmontosaurus annectens
CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Edmontosaurus
CollectA Geosternbergia/Pteranodon sternbergi
CollectA Paraceratherium
CollectA Smok
CollectA Spinosaurus
CollectA Triceratops
Creative Beast Dromaeosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Linheraptor 1/18
Creative Beast Medusaceratops Fans' Choice repaint
Creative Beast Protoceratops andrewsi 1/18
Creative Beast Protoceratops hellenikorhinus 1/18
Creative Beast Psittacosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/35
Creative Beast Velociraptor 1/18
EoFauna Diplodocus
EoFauna Konobelodon
F-Toys Anomalocaris
F-Toys Hallucigenia
Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor
Kaiyodo Hydrodamalis (Steller's sea cow)
Kaiyodo Megatherium
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus
Kaiyodo Platybelodon
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus
Kaiyodo Triceratops
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus
Kaiyodo Urile (spectacled cormorant)
Mattel Allosaurus Extreme Damage
Mattel Ceratosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dilophosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dreadnoughtus
Mattel Lystrosaurus (Maisie/raptor set)
Mattel Therizinosaurus
Mattel Triceratops Hammond Collection
Mattel Tyrannosaurus Hammond Collection
Mojö Fun Mammuthus (woolly mammoth)
Nanmu Brachiosaurus JP3
Nanmu Carnotaurus "Ranger" 2.0
Nanmu Spinosaurus "Supplanter"
PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
PNSO Centrosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Lingwulong
PNSO Sinopliosaurus (Spinosauridae indet.)
PNSO Sinraptor
PNSO Styracosaurus
PNSO Suchomimus
PNSO Therizinosaurus
PNSO Torosaurus
PNSO Tsintaosaurus
PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus
Rebor Triceratops "Trident King"/"Horn of Doom"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Tusk"
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus
Safari Ltd Cryolophosaurus
Safari Ltd "Nanotyrannus" Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Patagotitan
Safari Ltd Stygimoloch Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Zuul Dino Dana
Schleich Amargasaurus
Schleich Majungasaurus
Schleich Nothosaurus
Schleich Parasaurolophus
Schleich Styracosaurus
write in (please comment!)

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres , for your work on this "project". It really is a valued dimension to the DTF experience.

thedeadlymoose

My own top 10:
1. PNSO Deinocheirus (on the merits, this is IMO the best figure of the year)
2. Kaiyodo Ornithomimus (again, a boost just for making one at all, and looks superb. I love ornithomimosaurs, especially non-Deinocheirus)
3. Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus (I like the species, and the execution is A+)
4. Creative Beast Medusaceratops Fans' Choice repaint (A+++ execution)
5., 6. PNSO Therizinosaurus & PNSO Tsintaosaurus
7., 8., 9. Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18 & Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss" & EoFauna Diplodocus
10. Ancestors Edmontosaurus annectens

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 09, 2023, 12:47:16 AMKaiyodo Ornithomimus - Gets a bonus for making one at all, and its such a nice one. Good to have a really nice Ornithomimosaur that is not Deinocheirus.
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus - Another really nice figure, can't find any other figures of this animal, and have been looking for a long time.
PNSO Deinocheirus - The best of them all, absolutely adore this gorgeous goofball. The colours are so nice and exquisite, those feathers are so well done, and the whole thing is just a work of art really.

Echoing your thoughts on all three of these in particular!

- I'm surprised the Creative Beast Medusaceratops Fans' Choice repaint isn't ranked higher. One of the best paint schemes I've ever seen on a figure -- hence my own high ranking. Then again, it is indeed a repaint.

- Also surprised the Creative Beast Rexes aren't ranked higher, but they are seriously pricey. Also, I think many of us have gotten the CB Rexes in 2023, not 2022... including me.

- By contrast, Rebor's "Kiss" seems fairly placed at a high rank. Maybe because that figure was also a shocker, one of Rebor's best while competing with the CB Rex for one of the best modern Rex figures there is, and there's plenty to be said for star power. We've seen the CB Rexes since last year -- maybe that knocked them down in the rankings by comparison, on top of everything else?

- The PNSO Deinocheirus is simply one of the best figures I've seen of all time in this price range by vritue of the sculpt alone. The paint scheme is so good as to elevate it into the stratosphere -- in-hand, the piece is on the level of models that command massively higher prices. I'm not surprised it's winning the poll presently.

- I would have ranked the Ancestors Edmontosaurus higher, but my figure's guts burst open due to not-uncommon manufacturing process. I still have an enormous amount of affection for the figure, though, and I'm planning to learn to do repairs on it myself.

- The Safari Albertosaurus is genuinely superb, and does deserve to be in the top 10 of any year. I just couldn't quite find room for it, and assumed it would end up higher-ranked... Seeing the poll results, if I could redo my vote, I would probably swap this figure in for "Kiss", which I think it's equal to (despite very different creative aims!), or even the Eofauna Diplodocus (ditto). Or the Edmontosaurus, though I feel genuinely reluctant to swap out a great hadrosaur for even a great tyrannosaur :)

(I also couldn't find room for the equally great Collecta Cooperoceras, the EoFauna Konobelodon, the other rare-species Kaiyodos, and the PNSO Lingwulong, Acrocanthosaurus, and Suchomimus, as well as some others.)

But the other Safaris weren't contenders for me personally. The Zuul sculpt is great (the figure is excellent in-hand), but the paint falls flat. I want to love the Styigmoloch, but the sculpt is just okay. The Nano does not impress. (I don't mind using "Nanotyrannus" for marketing reasons, but what's with the trend of producing "Nanotyrannus"-branded figures that look so dull?) The Patagotitan is really quite good, but doesn't aesthetically "hit" like the competing sauropods of the year.

As for the Safari Cryo... honestly, I am sorry to say that even with the great sculpt and nice paint scheme, an unfeathered Cryolophosaurus is a straight-up disappointment. I'm irrationally holding out hope that Safari decides to produce a feathered version too in the future.

(A feathered Cryo would hit my top 10 by default, for what it's worth. Especially a piece by Doug Watson -- I think he's done absolutely incredible work on feathered theropods, better than most artists I've ever seen.)

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres -- thank you for running this project!

Sim

T @thedeadlymoose, I really think Safari won't make a feathered Cryolophosaurus unless evidence of it having feathers is discovered.  I too was disappointed by Safari's Cryolophosaurus being featherless.  I think the best option is to hope CollectA makes a feathered Cryolophosaurus, or, getting the TNG version which looks good although the pose isn't great.

Sim

I forgot, the Beasts of the Mesozoic Cryolophosaurus will have feathers, although only partially I think if it shares parts with the Dilophosaurus from the same series.  It will also be quite big, I'm hoping it will be available in 1:35 scale later on.

Sim

I was just thinking about some earlier posts in this thread and it occurred to me that if CollectA made a feathered Cryolophosaurus it could give them a better chance to be in our top 10 figures of the year poll, compared to what they made for 2022.

TheCambrianCrusader

Man I just want my lil Cooperoceras buddy to get in the top ten.
Its sooooooooooo gorgeous and I will fight for the paleozoic till the day I die lol.

postsaurischian

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 24, 2023, 03:49:42 AMMan I just want my lil Cooperoceras buddy to get in the top ten.
Its sooooooooooo gorgeous and I will fight for the paleozoic till the day I die lol.

Isn't the poll already locked?
 v
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 19, 2023, 05:18:15 PMOK, the poll has been live for just about a month. In that time, we've gotten 74 votes, which is pretty respectable! I'll lock the poll temporarily on Monday at 6:00 pm GMT .......

Gwangi

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 24, 2023, 03:49:42 AMMan I just want my lil Cooperoceras buddy to get in the top ten.

Me too, but it was a long shot with how stiff the competition is. I'm shocked it's the #1 CollectA figure, and I suppose that's good enough.

Lynx

I am personally shocked by the results of the vote, especially with Kiss having nearly half the votes of Eofaunas Diplodocus or PNSOs Deinocherius.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on February 24, 2023, 12:58:00 PMI am personally shocked by the results of the vote, especially with Kiss having nearly half the votes of Eofaunas Diplodocus or PNSOs Deinocherius.
avatar_Lynx @Lynx, are you shocked that Kiss had as many as it did or as few as it did, may I ask?

Lynx

Quote from: SidB on February 24, 2023, 01:15:26 PM
Quote from: Lynx on February 24, 2023, 12:58:00 PMI am personally shocked by the results of the vote, especially with Kiss having nearly half the votes of Eofaunas Diplodocus or PNSOs Deinocherius.
avatar_Lynx @Lynx, are you shocked that Kiss had as many as it did or as few as it did, may I ask?

As few as it did, the hype around the figure was HUGE
An oversized house cat.

postsaurischian

Well, the Tyrannosaurus (Kiss and Tusk) has 34 votes. That would be third place.
 Having REBOR's history on this forum in contemplation, I would refer to this as a success :) .

SRF

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 24, 2023, 02:28:25 PMWell, the Tyrannosaurus (Kiss and Tusk) has 34 votes. That would be third place.
 Having REBOR's history on this forum in contemplation, I would refer to this as a success :) .

It's likely that those who voted for Tusk, voted for Kiss as well. I know I did. :)
But today, I'm just being father

postsaurischian

Quote from: SRF on February 24, 2023, 02:31:46 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 24, 2023, 02:28:25 PMWell, the Tyrannosaurus (Kiss and Tusk) has 34 votes. That would be third place.

It's likely that those who voted for Tusk, voted for Kiss as well. I know I did. :)

Oh! I didn't have that in mind :) . I only voted for Kiss.  Anyway, REBOR seems to be among the winners this year.

Lynx

Both together or just one version? For me it's showing up as 20 something votes
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lynx on February 24, 2023, 03:01:06 PM

Both together or just one version? For me it's showing up as 20 something votes

That's combined. Here are the final standings:

1st place (53 votes): PNSO Deinocheirus

2nd place (47 votes): EoFauna Diplodocus

3rd place (33 votes): PNSO Therizinosaurus

4th place (32 votes): PNSO Suchomimus

5th place (tie, 29 votes each): EoFauna Konobelodon & Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"

7th place (26 votes): PNSO Acrocanthosaurus

8th place (23 votes): PNSO Torosaurus

9th place (22 votes): PNSO Lingwulong

10th place (tie, 20 votes each): PNSO Tsintaosaurus & Safari Ltd Albertosaurus

So it's actually a top 11 this year. I'm going to be poking around on the blog and in various collection threads for good photos. If I can get permission from the photographers, I'll send those along to avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum for eventual inclusion in a video.

A tie for 5th is really strong for a Rebor product, given that some people might still be holding a grudge from past interactions. Some (like me) might not have voted for it just because it's a taxon they're not that interested in. It's a bummer CollectA got shut out, although to be fair, aside from the Cooperoceras and Smok they had kind of a humdrum lineup, and the Smok is a bit of a controversial interpretation. Safari just barely avoided a shutout, which is really unusual for them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Carnoking

Well not everything I voted for made it in but after such an all around strong year for choices, I find it hard to disagree with those results!

Dusty Wren

Well, consider me delighted that an obscure amebelodontid got the same number of votes as a highly anticipated T. rex figure.

Shame about CollectA. Looking at the numbers, it seems like their lineup split the votes pretty evenly. Voters didn't rally behind one particular figure, which I think speaks to a strong lineup rather than a humdrum one.
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

Congratulations to all those placed. I think it was a worthy winner. Which means that it agreed with my own view!

Thanks to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres for setting up and running the poll.

My PNSO Therizinosaurus and Suchomimus arrived today. The Theri would have been high up on my vote list.

Faelrin

Not surprised Eofauna and PNSO continue to dominate these polls. Five of the figures I ended up voting for ended up in the final results. The PNSO Deinocheirus, Eofauna Diplodocus, PNSO Suchomimus, Rebor Kiss, and PNSO Acrocanthosaurus. Only 2 I have in hand (PNSO Deinocheirus and Rebor Kiss), and the other three remain on my wishlist.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: