News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

POLL: Top ten figures of 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 04, 2023, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What were your favorite releases of 2022? Vote for up to ten.

Ancestors Edmontosaurus annectens
CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Edmontosaurus
CollectA Geosternbergia/Pteranodon sternbergi
CollectA Paraceratherium
CollectA Smok
CollectA Spinosaurus
CollectA Triceratops
Creative Beast Dromaeosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Linheraptor 1/18
Creative Beast Medusaceratops Fans' Choice repaint
Creative Beast Protoceratops andrewsi 1/18
Creative Beast Protoceratops hellenikorhinus 1/18
Creative Beast Psittacosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/35
Creative Beast Velociraptor 1/18
EoFauna Diplodocus
EoFauna Konobelodon
F-Toys Anomalocaris
F-Toys Hallucigenia
Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor
Kaiyodo Hydrodamalis (Steller's sea cow)
Kaiyodo Megatherium
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus
Kaiyodo Platybelodon
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus
Kaiyodo Triceratops
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus
Kaiyodo Urile (spectacled cormorant)
Mattel Allosaurus Extreme Damage
Mattel Ceratosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dilophosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dreadnoughtus
Mattel Lystrosaurus (Maisie/raptor set)
Mattel Therizinosaurus
Mattel Triceratops Hammond Collection
Mattel Tyrannosaurus Hammond Collection
Mojö Fun Mammuthus (woolly mammoth)
Nanmu Brachiosaurus JP3
Nanmu Carnotaurus "Ranger" 2.0
Nanmu Spinosaurus "Supplanter"
PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
PNSO Centrosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Lingwulong
PNSO Sinopliosaurus (Spinosauridae indet.)
PNSO Sinraptor
PNSO Styracosaurus
PNSO Suchomimus
PNSO Therizinosaurus
PNSO Torosaurus
PNSO Tsintaosaurus
PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus
Rebor Triceratops "Trident King"/"Horn of Doom"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Tusk"
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus
Safari Ltd Cryolophosaurus
Safari Ltd "Nanotyrannus" Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Patagotitan
Safari Ltd Stygimoloch Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Zuul Dino Dana
Schleich Amargasaurus
Schleich Majungasaurus
Schleich Nothosaurus
Schleich Parasaurolophus
Schleich Styracosaurus
write in (please comment!)

ceratopsian

I'm finding that one of the most fascinating things about this poll is not so much finding out which models attract votes - though of course that's interesting.  What I'm find so engrossing is learning about other people's criteria for making their decisions and appreciating the broad range of focus within our hobby. 

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 23, 2023, 01:53:40 AMAs for the PNSO Styracosaurus, I actually do think it's a better figure than the Centrosaurus, but unlike DustyWren I do not attempt to be objective when I vote in these polls. I vote for my favorites, which isn't the same thing.

Well, my objectivity has limits ;D I will always bias heavily toward mammals, so while the EoFauna Diplodocus is a fine figure, the Konobelodon got my vote. When quality is equal, the vote goes to the mammal.
Check out my customs thread!

Sim

Maybe it's just because of how I would act that I expect people to vote for what they want to and not be swayed by what is or isn't getting votes.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 23, 2023, 06:14:09 PMI'm finding that one of the most fascinating things about this poll is not so much finding out which models attract votes - though of course that's interesting.  What I'm find so engrossing is learning about other people's criteria for making their decisions and appreciating the broad range of focus within our hobby. 

Yeah, I agree it is really interesting the different routes people take to their selections.

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 23, 2023, 03:57:07 AMAh, I missed the deadline for submissions (by a lot), but if I had one nomination for toy of the year it would have been the JW Ichthyovenator. It's not every year my favorite dinosaur is made in toy form, and I was beyond stoked to find it in a store.

Oh crap, I forget something every time I do one of these polls! This time it was the write-in option that Faelrin suggested. I have added the write-in option, although maybe too late for your vote...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 30, 2023, 05:19:11 PMThere's still time to vote!
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  Is there enough time for me to wait for Everything Dinosaur to get the Therizinosaurus and Suchomimus in?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 30, 2023, 06:10:45 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 30, 2023, 05:19:11 PMThere's still time to vote!
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  Is there enough time for me to wait for Everything Dinosaur to get the Therizinosaurus and Suchomimus in?

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx do we know when that will be?

SRF

Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2023, 06:31:08 PMInteresting, though maybe not surprising, that the ratio of votes , so far, for Rebor's 'Kiss' versus 'Tusk', is 20 to 3. I wonder if that reflects the actual ratio of sales, respectively? If so, or even anywhere near that, Rebor will struggle in the short term anyways, to sell off the 'Tusk' inventory. It would certainly confirm the turn of the tide, at least around here, towards lipped theropods, especially the rex. I hope that Eofauna is aware of this for their upcoming Tyrannosaurus.

Since the two variations of the Triceratops are included as one option to vote for, it could also be argued that Kiss and Tusk should be included in this poll as just one model as well. After all they are just color variations of the same sculpt, with the only difference being the (absence of) lips. Paint wise the two Triceratops models are different as well, albeit less noticeable. But since the horns on both Triceratopses are completely different, I think the differences in sculpt are even bigger on their Triceratopses than on their Rexes.
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

The way things appear to be headed, it look like Safari may end up with only one (the Albertosaurus) or even none in the top ten. Although it wasn't a bad year for the company, despite its logistical challenges, this seems to be due to the overwhelming strength of PNSO, with Eofauna continuing to maintain its record of recent successes.

Eatmycar

Shame Safari won't get higher in the top ten. Their Albertosaurus is very striking. I can't say I'll be surprised or impressed by a PNSO Heavy sweep.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I only bought two Safari dinos last year, the Cryo which I voted for and the Zuul which I think needed better paint so I didn't.  I also only voted for pieces I bought/own. Which might be another telling factor there. I didn't vote for any CollectA or Schleich. 

ceratopsian

I bought only two Safaris: the Zuul - which I have sent for a Martin Garratt repaint and base; and the Patagotitan.  I like the latter, but not enough rank it among my top ten (for that matter, the Eofauna Diplodocus didn't make my top ten either, though it was clearly very popular with forum members).  I think the Zuul is an excellent sculpt, and I understand why it has its paint job (the starting point being the Arbour/Evans book, plus the TV series) - but I don't find the factory paint job appealing enough to have voted for Zuul (even if it had reached me from Everything Dinosaur in the UK before I cast my votes).  I cast my votes based on my honest ranking of what I had bought over the year.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SRF on February 03, 2023, 07:50:39 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2023, 06:31:08 PMInteresting, though maybe not surprising, that the ratio of votes , so far, for Rebor's 'Kiss' versus 'Tusk', is 20 to 3. I wonder if that reflects the actual ratio of sales, respectively? If so, or even anywhere near that, Rebor will struggle in the short term anyways, to sell off the 'Tusk' inventory. It would certainly confirm the turn of the tide, at least around here, towards lipped theropods, especially the rex. I hope that Eofauna is aware of this for their upcoming Tyrannosaurus.

Since the two variations of the Triceratops are included as one option to vote for, it could also be argued that Kiss and Tusk should be included in this poll as just one model as well. After all they are just color variations of the same sculpt, with the only difference being the (absence of) lips. Paint wise the two Triceratops models are different as well, albeit less noticeable. But since the horns on both Triceratopses are completely different, I think the differences in sculpt are even bigger on their Triceratopses than on their Rexes.

Kiss and Tusk were listed separately because of their different head sculpts; I wasn't aware that the Triceratops came in two mold versions. That figure wasn't on my radar and was nominated by someone else, and I thought they were just paint variants which is more usual for Rebor. Apologies for the oversight.

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 30, 2023, 10:57:35 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 30, 2023, 06:10:45 PM

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx do we know when that will be?

Just going to reiterate that I can't make this promise without a definite date. I'll leave voting open for at least a few more days, however. For what it's worth, no retailer in the US has those in stock either, but I don't think that counts for anything.

SidB

Though it's certainly more fair to evaluate an in-hand figure than one "in the bush", occasionally I'll vote for one that I don't have or yet have if it's obvious from a review that it is an outstanding piece. So, I don't think that immediate availability is an absolute necessity, though it is preferable.

Sim

Well, I voted.  I would've preferred to have first obtained a few PNSO figures that are not currently available from the UK, but I think what I'd vote for wouldn't change so I went ahead and voted.

I voted for:
1. Creative Beast 1:18 Dromaeosaurus
2. Creative Beast 1:18 Linheraptor
3. Creative Beast 1:18 Velociraptor
4. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
5. PNSO Deinocheirus
6. PNSO Sinraptor
7. PNSO Styracosaurus
8. PNSO Suchomimus
9. PNSO Torosaurus
10. Safari Albertosaurus

This is the first year I vote for more than a few figures and the first time I can't vote for all the figures I want to due to being too many.  If I had more votes I would've also voted for the PNSO Therizinosaurus and PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus.

Sim

Adding to my previous post, the reason I chose to not vote for the PNSO Therizinosaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus instead of others is that they are based on very fragmentary remains.  The more complete species were my preference.

I'm surprised the CB Linheraptor hasn't got more votes, same for the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus and Styracosaurus, these are all excellent representations of these animals.  I'm glad the Acrocanthosaurus still is doing well, and that the Styracosaurus is doing slightly better than the Centrosaurus.  I get that there's been a lot of Styracosaurus figures and none of Centrosaurus, but the PNSO Styracosaurus is the perfect version that was needed and the PNSO Centrosaurus is okay but not outstanding, so I think it's fair that the Styracosaurus does better than the Centrosaurus.

I'm surprised the CollectA Triceratops has so few votes, I got the impression people liked that figure a lot.  It's interesting that CollectA hasn't done well in this poll, I wonder what it would take for them to do better?  I get the impression CollectA will do better in the 2023 version of this poll, as their lineup looks more interesting than 2022's IMO rather boring one.

I much prefer a poll like this than one full of Mattel figures that get no votes and just make the poll a pain to go through.  And presumably a pain to make too!  Good choice avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres to only include nominated Mattel figures!

SRF

No apologies needed avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres. People have asked for Tusk seperately to vote on, while that wasn't the case with the two Triceratops models I think.
But today, I'm just being father

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I've decided not to wait for the PNSO Therizinosaurus and Suchomimus. They are for me forever 2023 figures and I may attempt to vote for one of both on this years instead on the placeholder, plus there's still more than enough to vote for anyway.

So I went for

CollectA Edmontosaurus - considered the Smok as well, but ultimately had to go for the big hoofed Hadrosaur as that's my jam.
Creative Beast Linheraptor - I loved all of these but the bee-eater colour makes it the best.
Eofauna Diplodocus - Though weaker than the Konobelodon, this is nontheless a gorgeous figure and the best Diplodocus around. My third favourite sauropod figure total too.
Eofauna Konobelodon - This one I think is second only to their Palaeoloxodon, absolutely stunning piece.
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus - Gets a bonus for making one at all, and its such a nice one. Good to have a really nice Ornithomimosaur that is not Deinocheirus.
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus - Another really nice figure, can't find any other figures of this animal, and have been looking for a long time.
PNSO Centrosaurus - Were it not for 2 below this would be my favourite PNSO figure total, though I prefer Chasmosaurus, this Centrosaurus is just such a perfect sculpt with zero flaws in my opinion, and the horn curves just the way I like it.
PNSO Deinocheirus - The best of them all, absolutely adore this gorgeous goofball. The colours are so nice and exquisite, those feathers are so well done, and the whole thing is just a work of art really.
PNSO Lingwulong - My second favourite sauropod figure, really pleased with this gigantic beast of a figure. Face can be forgiven for this is a nice chonker.
Safari Ltd Zuul - Been hoping for a nice one of this animal since it was named, though I'm not too fond of the name. It may not be perfect but I really like it in hand.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Pliosaurking

My top figures of the year are:
1. Nanmu 2.0 Supplanter Spinosaurus limited edition version
2. PNSO Deinocherius
3. Botm Fans choice Medusaceratops
4. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
5. Eofauna Diplodocus
6. Eofauna Konobelodon
7. Mattel Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus Rex
8. Collecta Geosternbergia
9. Mattel Epic Roaring Allosaurus
10. Mattel Quetzalcoatlus

I didn't get everything I wanted from the year thus far, but these are my top picks from the year that I got. I'm not including anything like the Botm Rex, as I got mine in late January.

Halichoeres

OK, the poll has been live for just about a month. In that time, we've gotten 74 votes, which is pretty respectable! I'll lock the poll temporarily on Monday at 6:00 pm GMT, compile the results, and then re-open the poll once I've sent them to avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum (and maybe avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi?) so a video can be made at some point. Thanks for your votes, everyone!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: