News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Seijun's Dinosaur-a-Day

Started by Seijun, March 18, 2012, 08:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneage

Quote from: Seijun on April 02, 2012, 11:57:17 PM
Highest I've seen recently was around $300 for a metallic green slim t-rex. I wish I could see what that winner's collection looks like.

Yeah, I think Metallic Green would be more desirable and probably less of them then silver.  The marbled Kronosaur I think is really cool also.

Seijun

AAA Entelodont (small) c. 2001:
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Seijun

AAA Hyeanadon (small) c. 2001:
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Seijun

AAA Hyeanadon (large) c. 2001:

Pure elegance... Invicta Lambeosaurus, c. 1993 - c. 2005:

If you look at him through a magnifying glass, you will see that his skin is not just stereotypical wrinkles. He is covered with hundreds of tiny scales.

Meso-Cenozoic

What a fun and informative idea. Thanks for doing this, Seijun!

You know, I think I'm liking the original "German" versions of the Carnegie sauropods a little better than the later versions. Something kind of classic about them.

postsaurischian

Gotta love the Invicta Lambeosaurus :)!

Himmapaan

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 05, 2012, 12:47:18 PM
Gotta love the Invicta Lambeosaurus :)!
Agreed!

I still don't have it.  :'(

Tylosaurus

As the Invicta Lambeosaurus goes, I would give it some color to make it more appealing, it's kinda boring in that monochrome color tone, but that is just what I would do to it ;)
Give it more beauty, that way it will get more life too  O:-)

Sumo

*drools* Invicta lambie...
I don't have it either, though my friend and coworker does - so I occasionally get to see it in the flesh, and that only makes me covet it more.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Tylosaurus

Seijun

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 05, 2012, 07:34:20 PM
As the Invicta Lambeosaurus goes, I would give it some color to make it more appealing, it's kinda boring in that monochrome color tone, but that is just what I would do to it ;)

I love the unpainted look. I wish ALL dinosaur toys came in monotone plastic, so it would be easier for me to admire their physical forms and sculpted details without being distracted by paint-work. IMO, a well-done figure is one that does not need paint in order to look better.

Sumo

You could just buy some primer and do it yourself... I have primered a few models intending to repaint, and then decided they looked better in plain grey. (I've also experimented with the bronze look - it adds a touch of class to any chinasaur!)
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Seijun on April 05, 2012, 09:13:56 PM
Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 05, 2012, 07:34:20 PM

I love the unpainted look. I wish ALL dinosaur toys came in monotone plastic, so it would be easier for me to admire their physical forms and sculpted details without being distracted by paint-work. IMO, a well-done figure is one that does not need paint in order to look better.
I respectfully disagree. A good paint job can bring life to and add a lot to a sculpt. It's like the icing on the cake, so to speak. It's good for highlighting certain parts of the sculpt that would not stick out otherwise with a mono colour scheme.

But hey, art is subjective to a certain extent. And I see these toys as art.  8)

Tylosaurus

Well a good painting can actually bring forward the extra details, it all depends on how you are going to take on the paining ;)
In real life Dinosaurs like many other animal had colors, which also adds to the overall amount of details.

Anyways it's how I see it, it lacks detail imo.

DinoToyForum

The invicta Lambeo is stunning. Possibly my favorite Invicta, I must dig mine out and put it on display  8)
Go monochrome!  ;D

Tylosaurus

Hmm Imagine if the entire world would be monochrome arrghhh! nooooeeesss!   Yikes! hahaha  xD

No matter that is your choice afterall mate :) So each to themselves I'm like 8)

Seijun

I will admit that it would be interesting to see an invicta lambeo painted in bongo colors. The arched back would show off those white stripes beautifully.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3186/3867873915_2d437afff1_z.jpg
If I get a lambeo to paint though, it will have to be the dinosaur studios version!

About 1/4 of my collection is unpainted. I like to see animal toys/models as purely sculptural forms (a harmonious collection of curves, ridges, and extrusions) and not necessarily an attempt to make a miniature re-creation of a living creature. I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

Tylosaurus

If that makes sense to you then you are in good hands right ;) I think the opposite but I do respect your opinions ;)
And hay no worries mate, it's all cool we are after all different, so each to their own likes 8)

Himmapaan

Quote from: Seijun on April 05, 2012, 09:45:40 PM
I will admit that it would be interesting to see an invicta lambeo painted in bongo colors. The arched back would show off those white stripes beautifully.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3186/3867873915_2d437afff1_z.jpg
If I get a lambeo to paint though, it will have to be the dinosaur studios version!

About 1/4 of my collection is unpainted. I like to see animal toys/models as purely sculptural forms (a harmonious collection of curves, ridges, and extrusions) and not necessarily an attempt to make a miniature re-creation of a living creature. I'm not sure if that makes any sense.
On the extraordinary chance that you or anyone has a spare Invicta Lambeo and would like it painted in bongo colours, I beg to be allowed the honour.

I also want the Dinosaur Studios Lambeo very much.

And I also understand you entirely about unadorned sculptural forms. I love that aesthetic as much as I do painted models, which is why I sometimes have two copies of resins when possible: one to paint and one to leave alone.  8)

Seijun

Oh, there are certainly some figures in my collection that I do prefer painted (Dino Riders, Tsukudas, Papos). And I wouldn't turn down a well-sculpted figure painted by Martin, Himmapaan, Copper, or any of the other great painters we have seen here. I would absolutely love to own all of my favorite resins in both unpainted and professionally-painted form.

However, my original comments about unpainted vs painted figures was more in relation to plastic toys with factory paint jobs. The paint is often thick, sloppy, and/or overly bright and cartoonish. Most of my battats, safaris, and carnegies would have been much better off if the factory had left them unpainted. Invictas are easily my most favorite monotone figures. The sculpted details are so beautifully perfect and art-like on the raw sculptures. I've just never felt that anything additional was necessary (but I don't doubt that some could look quite beautiful with the right paint job).

Sadly, I don't have any extra invicta lambeos, Himmapaan, but you are welcome to paint a Dinosaur Studios one in Bongo for me!  ;D (when I get one)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: